“Nice but not worth the money.” 4 of 5 stars

Fifth Night Free Offer
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Nice but not worth the money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ok so where do I start. I agree that the lobby area and restaurants are much more updated than the rooms but I was very satisfied with the size of the room. The rooms was very clean but I agree that for a luxury hotel, I expected more. The best part is the beautiful ambiance at night when they light the tiki torches. I was pleased with the service we received from the staff and how everyone greeted us by our names gave it a personal touch. I would have given it a 5 but here is why I didn't - I must admit that I was EXTREMELY disappointment that I our room was an "ocean view" room but in my opinion was not an ocean view. I went to the front desk clerk Elisa to share in my disappointment and she wasn't very helpful in explaining to me the difference between a partial view and ocean view. We stayed in room #388. So my advice it to make sure you are clear with the reservation agent and front desk about your expectations of your room type. I would hate for you to pay for an ocean view and get a partial view. I think for the price we paid for the "ocean view", we should have had a better view of the ocean. My opinion. Overall I thought Maui was AMAZING but not sure that I would stay at the Fairmont again.

Room Tip: When you check in ask for a center higher floor. Be careful of paying for an "ocean view"...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your review. While we are happy to know that you enjoyed some aspects of the resort, we’re truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations with the suite view. Both our reservation and front office agents aim to be very clear in the descriptions of each category/view. We truly apologize if you felt misled and hope you will consider joining us again in the future. Best wishes and warm aloha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was here on a business trip. It was a very nice laid out hotel right on the beach amazing lobby and surrounding common areas. Although we had a suite with 2 double beds and a sofabed my wife, my 2 teenage boys and myself found the sleeping arrangements a little difficult especially when my wife and i slept in a double together NO ROOM!. We really enjoyed the bathroom it was expansive. There was one thing on the billing that was interesting though. Every night i would park my car on my own but the hotel still charged me $25 a day to valet it even though they never even touched the car. They did remove it but be aware it in case they bill you without letting you know.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for your feedback. Given that we are an all-suite property offering separate bedroom and living room (with sleeper sofa), it is disappointing to learn that you were uncomfortable with the sleeping arrangements provided. Please accept our sincere apology for the incorrect billing for valet parking as we do not automatically impose this charge, and know that your comments will be shared with the team in order to correct this mistake in the future. Warmest aloha!
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our second stay at the Kea Lani and everything was in a word, perfect. Probably the first most important trait of this property (or any) is the people running and operating the show. The staff here across the board is lovely. If you enjoy being remembered by name and referred to in that way, you will appreciate the dedication this staff pays to its patrons. My wife and daughter have Celiac and thus are highly gluten-intolerant. Thus, of equal importance to us when picking a property is finding one that understands gluten-free and caters to it accordingly (and carefully). The minute you check in with the hotel, you are put on a dietary watch and all departments that are associated with food preparation on the property are notified. No, you are not singled out in a bad way. This is a behind-the-scenes alert that guarantees you will enjoy eating anywhere on the property without concern. Gluten-free is an odd dietary restriction. While preparing the actual food stuffs that are gluten-free is often not that difficult, guaranteeing that there is no cross-contamination from other food sources is not insignificant. In most cases when we travel, cross-contamination is the biggest concern for us. However, at the Kea Lani this is NOT an issue. They understand restrictions like these and take them very seriously. Thus, our 'eating' experience while on property is always perfect (whether it's pool side, at the cafe, room service or at any of their fine restaurants on site). This, for us (and I imagine other restricted diet couples/families), is huge. The Fairmont Kea Lani does it beautifully! Oh yes, then there's the location and amenities. What can I say. The property is sprawling with multiple pools (yes, one for adults only too), a great kid slide, and of course the beach. The Kea features a great beach with sports hut, various rentals (e.g. snorkels, boggie boards, etc.), umbrellas, and so forth. In other words, all the things you'd expect from a property of this caliber. We've only traveled their as a family and our 11-year old daughter loves the place because she is guaranteed to find other like-minded youngsters that she befriends with each visit. Mom and Dad get as much relaxation factor as we desire but always know our girl is safe on the grounds of the Kea. The property's appearance is simply lovely. Because it is relatively large, you never get tired of it. There are so many different areas that you can spend your time at, I cannot imagine every growing tired of it. And all of it is quite beautiful and beautifully kept. Finally, the rooms: all-suite so that you are guaranteed a separate living and sleeping space. We've stayed at many properties around the world including the Four Seasons in Wailea (next door to the Kea). While lovely in and of itself, the Kea and the suites provide an additional level of creature comfort by virtue of the space you get. Really, quite hard to beat. And we've had great success at getting rooms that provide what I can only describe as having stunning, nearly 180 degree views that allow the ability to see from Molokini to Kapalua from your very large and comfortable deck (great for those evening sunsets with a G&T after a long day in the ocean and pools.

We love the Kea for many reasons and would highly recommend it to anyone (but with a bias for families because it is just so doggone fun and beautiful). You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for the upgraded ocean view rooms - it is worth the extra cost to be able to look directly out an...
Green Features: The Kea definitely supports green, and you can engage as much as you want to. That said, this is not an in-your-face green movement. If you want to enjoy fresh towels and bedding each day (for example), you can do so without any concern.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you for being a return guest and for your fantastic compliments regarding our allergy program. We know that vacationing with family with allergies can be challenging, so we couldn’t be happier to offer a program that is safe and ensures no cross contamination. We also sincerely appreciate you sharing and providing so much thoughtful advice and information for future travelers and pointing out everything that makes our resort so special. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back many more times in the future. Mahalo, a hui hou malama pono! (Thank you, take care until we meet again!)
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were so disappointed that we couldn't get in to the Four Seasons in Maui but it was a
blessing in disguise. The Kea Lani is far superior. The grounds are gorgeous, the lobby is spectacular and the rooms are to die for. We had a beautiful suite overlooking the ocean and pool area. I'm shocked at the bad reviews because we had the best experience. The restaurant for breakfast was lovely and the service was excellent. We were there in May of 2012 and didn't see any construction. The balcony was very large and extremely comfortable lounge chairs to lie on and relax. All in all I'd stay there in a heartbeat. We loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you have ever visited a Fairmont Hotel, you know the level of service is a cut abouve the rest. THe Fairmont Kea Lani is no different. My husband and I spent 14 days at the Maui resort in October of 2012. On top of the service, the hotel grounds and ammenities are more always well kept and clean. The food and beverage are on the expensive side but all in ll it is well worth the money. The staff are amaxing and seem genuinely happy.

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms are well worth the upgrade.
Green Features: VERY IMPRESIVE! The hotel uses plant based plastics (cutlery, plastic cups etc) and has recycling in every room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
riverside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked a 4 night ocean view suite for our anniversary. The receptionist was able to get us a room on the 7th floor overlooking the center of the hotel and ocean. I was very impressed with the size of the suites and the amenities. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

After staying at the Fairmont Orchid on the big island for 5 days, we were relieved to find out that this hotel had an adults only pool. The rooms were spacious, but the balcony was covered in bird poop and had zero privacy. We got to the adult pool at 730am the following morning and grabbed the last available beds with an umbrella, even though we were the only people actually present at the pool. As in other resorts, people would wake up early, drop a towel to reserve their space and leave to do their morning routines. The hotel did nothing to manage this problem. There were cabanas available for rent but it cost $150 for the day (presidents club members would get 10 or 15% off). There was also loud constrcution noise all day. After our first day at the pool, we got back to our room around 3pm to find our room still not cleaned and the balcony door wide open (room service must have left it open after getting our breakfast in the morning). There were bugs EVERYWHERE. We instantly called the front desk and asked for a new room. They accommodated us quickly and moved us to a room two doors down (slightly worse view but not enough to make a big difference). The next day they sent a bottle of sparkling wine and a cheese plate with an apology note from the assistant manager. This situation was definitely handled well. However, we continued to have the issue of the room not being cleaned by the time we got back to the room everyday (we get up early and would get back around 3pm daily to relax and start gettinh ready for 6-630pm dinner). I've never had this issue at any hotel before.. Rooms are always cleaned by early afternoon the latest.

Overall, the property and landscaping were beautiful but the ambience and setting were far from luxurious or romantic. This may be a good place for families, but I don't recommend it for couples. The staff was friendly throughout the resort, but the adult pool area lacked service (I waited about an hour for someone to show up and open my umberella).

• Stayed August 2013
While we're glad to learn that you found the property and landscaping to be beautiful, it’s very disappointing to know that your expectations were not met.  Regarding one point in particular, our housekeeping team is scheduled to service our all-suite resort from 8:30am-4:00pm; however, guests may request a preferred time for this service by contacting the front desk. Please be assured your constructive feedback and comments will be shared with the key departments. We certainly hope you will visit us again so we can better provide you with the luxury experience you deserve and one for which we are known amongst families and couples alike. Mahalo and best wishes.

Been to The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!