“Loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Spent four nights over the July 4th holiday here. The rooms are suites. We had an ocean view. The service is excellent. We chose the adult pool everyday. The hotel only allows you to save chairs for two hours which is great because it prevents people from laying their stuff on a chair and leaving for hours to do something else. The is food and bar service at the pool beginning at 11 am. The hamburgers are excellent at the pool. There is sun screen dispensers at every pool and water with lemon or cucumbers at all pools. A man does come around with big bowls of fresh pineapple to eat. We ate breakfast at the buffet every morning. The buffet includes everything you could imagine, a bit pricey but excellent. We ate dinner at Ko and Nick's - both excellent but pricey restaurants. Do make reservations as soon as possible. I worked out in the gym daily and it is a typical hotel gym but very clean. Cold water, towels and apples all supplied. Children under 16 not allowed in gym but one morning saw one parent who refused to comply. There is a nice market where you can get sandwiches, coffee and icecream. Newspapers are available here as well but one day behind if looking for the NY Times.
Join the President's Club because you get free internet and Newspaper. There is a complimentary shuttle that takes you down to the Wailea shops. We went one night to the Monkey Pod restaurant, which has affordable pizza's and happy hour (take the shuttle).
The hotel has 4 complimentary bikes you can reserved (free to President's Club Members). They are not in the best condition but can be fun.
There is a small beach and chairs and umbrellas available.
Our flight was not until 9 pm and check out was 1 pm so they offered us a hospitality room to shower and relax in for 45 minutes. They have 8 of these rooms and they are a first come basis. They clean the rooms after each use.
Each person is greeted with a Hawaiian Leis and punch. A nice touch. There is complimentary tea and water at all times in the lobby.

Room Tip: I believe our room was 538, excellent
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We’re thrilled you chose to stay with us and appreciate you sharing your experience with future guests. Thank you for your wonderful and very informative review. We hope to see you again soon. Aloha!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Korean first
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for a week and loved it. We travel as a family to nice resorts about once a year. I have never experienced such great customer service. The entire staff was very helpful and aimed to please. We were particularly impressed with the front desk and concierge people. When I come to a place like this I expect things to be perfect and if they're not I'm not afraid to speak up. Adam and Sosa, the assistant front desk managers were terrific when I asked to speak with them about some minor complaints we had with the room. They were patient with me and addressed my concerns immediately. I couldn't have asked for a better response. Thanks guys! Thanks to all at the fairmont for exceeding our expectations! Hope we can return some day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
white hall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is enormous with 2 large pools and essentially it's own private beech. Many, even upscale, resorts in Hawaii do not have any beachfront. The reastaurants are nice but there are several others within shuttle distance. There is a near by grocery and liquor store....perfect

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Fairmont Kea Lani is a wonderful hotel with very nice facilities. The only thing keeping it from reaching the highest level are minor service flaws that could easily be corrected. Let me first say that Matthew Morris did a phenomenal job assisting me with my reservation and securing a great location for my suite. Call him at the hotel for assistance - he is awesome!

Maui and Wailea in general are busy places and the hotels here are larger and accommodate more guests than on the other islands (I also visited the Big Island - Hawaii and Lanai on this trip). As such, you must wake up and select chairs at the pool in order to enjoy them throughout the day. Unlike the Fairmont's sister property in Kona (Big Island) there are umbrellas available for all guests at the adult pool and the chairs are very comfortable.

But here, guests will notice minor service issues that may not be noticeable to some, but will certainly be noted by discerning travelers that are familiar with other hotels in Fairmont's class (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental). Keep in mind that you are paying top rates and while some of these things sound picky, for a tiny investment, the hotel could likely provide them. Here they are:

- The pool staff is understaffed and I had to set up my own chairs each day
- There are no complimentary service items at the pool being passed out (such as ice water, cold towels etc...) The hotel does provide sunscreen and ice water along with Aloe, but at the adult pool, water could really be handed out.
- The nearest bathroom forces guests to walk through the Ko Restaurant or the breakfast cafe (a weird feeling to diners and to pool goers alike)
- One side of the adult pool borders that main dining hall and lots of noise and clanking can be heard especially during the breakfast hour. Not great for the one place that is supposed to be quiet on the property.
- The hotel did not provide water bottles at turndown service even though I had a Deluxe Ocean View Suite (my wife called and was told that water is only available for suites of a certain class. I thought I had a pretty good class already, especially considering that the sister property in Kona provided water to my lesser room category when I was there). Note that the valet does give out water bottles.
- Water pressure in the shower good, but not great (again minor, but makes a difference for me!)
- The hotel failed to deliver my WSJ newspaper each day
- The Spa is under renovation - set to become a Willow Stream in December and so the hotel is offering a discount on their massages, but is without spa facilities. Even with the discount, the treatments are more expensive then the Grand Wailea, for instance, for which guests also get a lunch voucher and use of top notch facilities for a similar, but slightly lower price.

Another oddity is the fact that the menu for Ko, the hotel's signature restaurant, is extremely expensive for lunch and nearly mirrors the pool menu. We were eating elsewhere for dinner, but wanted to try Ko for lunch, but were turned away by the fact that the food was so expensive and the menu was heavy for lunch. We, along with many other guests, ended up eating in the lighter cafe which served moderately priced and smaller sized lunches - perfect for those eating big dinners. It just seemed weird that Ko was technically open, but that no more than 4-5 diners could be found in the restaurant at lunch time. Perhaps a more affordable lunch menu would provide smaller portions and a better price point.

These are just the minor items that I noticed that I feel others would benefit from knowing about. The complaints are by no means to say that the experience is not great. I only want to add some commentary to what many other have written. The hotel is beautiful, the suites are great and the adult pool was, overall, luxurious. The hotel is an excellent place to stay and I will certainly return. My comments did not affect my trip in any major way, just minor notes that I feel could help the hotel reach its full potential.

Room Tip: Note that the hotel shuttle takes guests to other properties nearby, especially for dinner (Four Sea...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate your honesty and detailed suggestions, as we do strive to offer the highest level of service and accommodations for our guests. Although we do serve chilled towels and fresh pineapple around the pool, we are sorry that you didn't have the chance to experience it. We have passed along your kind words to Matt Morris, who is a tremendous asset to our hotel. Thank you again for your honest suggestions and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Aloha!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent the last part of our honeymoon here and we wished we could stay longer! The hotel immediately upgraded our room and it was beautiful. We had a view of the sea as well as their beautiful gardens. Service was impeccible and upon arrival to our room we had a small gift delivered to us. Food was great - we ate at KO and the fish restaurant. Prices are dear but nothing more than what we expected. Hotel has their own shuttle service that can drop you to their local shops and pic you up when you want which was ideal!

My only disappointment was that the spa was undergoing rennovation so we could not use this and there are only 2 main restaurants to choose from for dinner.

Will we return? Yes!

Room Tip: Room tip: try and get a corner room as your balcony will have 2 views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Kea Lani for seven nights to celebrate our 2-year wedding anniversary. Like many young couples traveling to Wailea, we were torn between the Four Seasons and the Fairmont. I am SO glad we made the decision we did. We love the Four Seasons experience, but the lowest-priced room at the 4S, is the same price as a beautiful full-oceanview suite at the Fairmont. And as it turned out, the Kea Lani didn't miss a beat on service. It was a top-notch experience all the way. The suites are so beautiful. Whenever we walk into a nice hotel room, I jump up and down in excitement...I did A LOT of jumping here. The beds are comfy, the bathrooms are phenomenal, and the little mini-kitchen area is so convenient. We overlooked the adult pool, where we also hung out every day. I definitely recommend this view, over any of the others in this Z-shaped property. We got a massage in the oceanfront cabana, and that was super-relaxing. If you are undecided about where to go in Maui, I am telling you, go here! We did so much homework in advance, and were so pleased with our decision. We went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon, and this is the next-best hotel experience we've had since then.

Odds and ends:
-Definitely do the hotel-offered canoe trip. We booked about 2 months in advance. As it turned out, the only morning it rained, was on our excursion. But we did see a dolphin, so that made it worth it!
-The snorkeling directly off the hotel's beach isn't so great. Ask the concierge for other locations to go to. (We also had that rare South Swell while we were there, so weren't really able to go out at all!)
-Drive to Lahaina for dinner one night. Kimo's is the hot tourist spot, but Pacific'o is much yummier.
-Stop at Safeway on your way to the hotel. I can't stress this enough! This will save you SO MUCH money. We stocked up on breakfast pastries, fresh fruit, beer, chips, etc. And when they offer you the Safeway card, sign up for it! Sure you might only use it once, but it gives you such a big discount. Our grocery bill went from $178 to $130!

Room Tip: Ask for 7th floor, overlooking adult pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow! Thank you for choosing to spend your 2nd wedding anniversary with us! We couldn’t be happier to learn how memorable your experience was (jumping up and down was a good sign!). It's fantastic that your expectations were exceeded and that you loved the resort. We hope you did have the opportunity to experience the convenience of Caffe Ciao Bakery and Deli that offers wine, beer and spirits as well as homemade sandwiches, salads, snacks and pastries, all at reasonable pricing that is competitive with local grocery stores. Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back very soon. Best wishes and aloha!
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I went to Hawaii and stayed one week at the Four Seasons in Maui and one week at the Kea Lani that is just a couple of hundred yards along the ocean walkway. It was spectacular and the architecture puts you in Arabia. The ocean beach was scenic and had a point with an old tree at the end of it that screamed Hawaii. The food was very good and price was relatively low and was a wondeful value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!