“Fantastic 5* Vacation Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now, Save Later 30%
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Fantastic 5* Vacation Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I'll preface this review by saying that this is a luxury resort, and as such is luxury priced. If you're looking for a cheap vacation, this isn't the place for you. It's expensive, but very worth it. I will definitely visit again.

My wife and I decided to take our first vacation with our 4 month old first child, and decided on Maui. We know and trust the Fairmont brand, and the staff was great during the booking. We arrived on mothers day, my wife's first, so I asked them to do a bath with flowers and chocolates, etc. for arrival since we were getting in late. I also told them that she wasn't drinking much alcohol, so no thank you to the champagne. The concierge took a food order as well so that we would have food waiting for us upon arrival.

We arrived and the staff was great, quickly getting us and our tired baby up to our room, which was huge. Having the food ready for us helped ease the strain of a long day of traveling. The bathroom was beautifully setup for the bath, and to my surprise, in place of the champagne that I turned down, they had a bottle of sparkling cider. I was supremely impressed by this since I hadn't mentioned it, and it showed that the concierge was listening to me, and then used initiative to put something special together. Concierge staff gets an A+ from me as they went above and beyond. It's not uncommon to have a concierge satisfy your needs, but to go so far as to provide things you didn't even know you wanted, is a rare thing.

We spent a lot of time at the pool, and the food was good, especially the Bento Box. The staff was always quick and friendly, and the pool was very well laid out with separate areas, plenty of umbrellas, and an adult pool so that those of us with kids don't bother those without. Since this was my first vacation with a child, I appreciate keeping the two groups separate! I know the Fairmont doesn't charge a resort fee, and thus charges for cabanas and extras like that. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I'd much rather pay a resort fee, and then have access to cabanas for free. Personally, it wasn't worth $150 to rent a cabana, but they were quite busy, so maybe that's just me! The constantly refreshed ice water, plenty of towels, and aloe vera, as well as sunscreen were very nice touches that made it easy to spend a long time at the pool without constantly running back to your room. Overall, a very well done pool area.

The food was excellent. We had a lunch at Ko which was outstanding, and dinner at Nick's which was the best meal we had in Maui. We shared an order of the Ahi, and the Opa, and both were fresh as can be, and cooked to perfection. This might be blasphemy to some, but I liked it just as much as Mama's Fish House. Again, the staff was excellent in both restaurants, and service was quick and attentive.

We also did a lot of room service, which had a great variety and was very good. Our favorite was the Dim Sum platter which was our 2nd favorite meal after Nick's. The staff was excellent, they always had more than enough of everything, and when ordering they always thought ahead of things we wouldn't have thought of.

The last place we got food was in the cafe. I don't remember what it was called, but they had ice cream, coffee, and about a dozen food dishes like caprese salad, italian sandwich, pizza, roasted vegetables, etc. They also had a pretty well stocked fridge with drinks, cheese, yogurt, salami, and other good snack food. Finally, they had a bakery that put out fresh baguettes and bagels, and a well-stocked wine and liquor section. The staff was friendly, quick, and the shop was very well stocked.

The only negative food experience was the breakfast. If you don't get the buffet then it takes a while to order food. I think that's just a function of most people ordering the buffet, but it took us a good 20 minutes to get an omelette and a granola, and the table next to us had the same issue. Definitely not indicative of the dining experience for the rest of the resort, so I think it was just an anomaly.

They have onsite car rentals which is great because we only wanted to drive around one day rather than having a car the whole time. Pricing was less than $100 for the day, and you don't have to hassle with parking or anything since the car is handled by the valet. They also have an onsite shuttle that will take you to the shops in town, and anywhere else close. We didn't use the shuttle, but saw it in use many times.

They were renovating the spa and several shops, so we didn't get a chance to see them. Not sure how long is left in the renovation, but it would be nice if there was somewhere to buy makeup and that kind of thing if it's going to be a while. I know my wife forgot some piece of makeup and really would've liked a chance to replenish it.

Housekeeping is one of those things that is constantly neglected in reviews, and I wanted to give them kudos. We had a lovely lady who cleaned our room each day and was very quick and considerate. She would tiptoe around when our baby was sleeping, and then play and laugh when she was awake. Towards the end of the trip we were disappointed not to see her on the weekend!

Overall this was just an amazing trip. Every single need and want was taken care of, and was usually identified prior to our even noticing. The staff was excellent from start to finish. Specifically, we dealt with, and were very pleased with, the concierge, valet, bellman, housekeeping, wait staff, pool staff, and room service. I travel a lot for both business and pleasure, and this is one of my top travel experiences. I will definitely visit again, and recommend the Fairmont Kea Lani with no reservations.

Green Features: They have the standard option to not have towels washed if it's not needed which I really like.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. It’s fantastic to learn that your expectations were exceeded, especially in the high level service you experienced. We strive to provide thoughtful and personal touches for our guests, so it’s extremely gratifying to learn that our concierge team helped you have a memorable Mother’s Day. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're looking forward to seeing you again in the future. Aloha!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I'm really torn about what rating to give the hotel. We just got back from a 6 night/7 day stay there with my family of 4 (two kids which are 5 and 8). We had a fantastic time overall! The resort has plenty of good aspects:
* beautiful grounds and location -- better than Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons.
* great service from most people
* 3 pools with one for adults
* not too many people
* Nick's Fishmarket is amazing
* large rooms, and we had a great one

I could go on with the pros of the hotel, but others have done that well.

Unfortunately, we had a few incidents that left me with a less than stellar perspective on the hotel.

First, the website advertises that kids 5 and under eat free, and kids 6-11 eat for half price. It appears few at the resort knows this policy or understands it. We went based on recommendation from our family who went there about a year ago. They had kids and ate poolside for free and reduced price. One of the first things we did when we arrived was go to the pool and order food. Guess what? It doesn't work poolside any more. The waitress told us we had to be in a sit down restaurant.

So, we went to a sit down restaurant a couple days later. We ate at Nick's Fishmarket, where a kids meal is $15. We didn't think too much of this because of the kids eat free thing. However, when the bill came, we were told that Nick's isn't part of the hotel, so it was full price.

When I complained to the concierge she didn't know the policy, and it took several minutes to try to find someone who knew what it would be. She then said every where BUT poolside and EXCEPT for Nick's was under the policy. She apologized and said the manager would call us to answer the question further.

No call came from the Manager. The next day we then went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. This time when I asked the waitress about the policy before ordering, she stated that the policy was only that kids 5 and under eat free, and kids 6-11 are regular price. I disputed this with her but she wouldn't take it and said that the price on the menu was it! Afterward she was very "cold" to us--not helpful, didn't tell us we need to get our own OJ from the buffet, and basically made me feel like I was stealing somehow when I took a bite of my daughters (free) bacon.

Of course, I went back to the concierge to complain. I had the same concierge and she asked if the Manager ever contacted me--no-- and she again promised they would. She was nice and apologized but nothing came of it. We checked out a day later and were never contacted nor had any amends made.

This is particularly frustrating since this policy is all over the website--but no one provides the policy when you check in, nor seems to understand it. Finally, we paid around $700 / day at the resort for room + food (at least). The cost of providing the kids food would probably have been $10 out of their pocket per day--kids don't eat much. It really left a bad taste in our mouth for their behavior, especially for such a minimal amount of money. This was also one of the reasons we selected the resort--we thought the cost of feeding the kids would be reduced compared to other resorts!

All that said, the resort is quite expensive, so if you go make sure you are aware of that and find alternatives as needed. $20 for a hamburger, $25 for eggs benedict, $12-16 for a cocktail, etc.

Lastly, one night we found a single cockroach in the bathroom. My wife screamed, and I caught and killed the cockroach. I know they are a tropical resort and pests are hard to prevent, but at the same time I think if there is 1 cockroach there are very likely more. You shouldn't have to deal with this at a Fairmont!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Aloha. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's so nice to hear that you had an overall fantastic time with us, and we thank you for the many wonderful accolades. However please accept our apology for not properly communicating our children’s dining program which is available throughout the resort with the exception of In-Suite Dining, Poolside and Nick’s Fishmarket. We are truly sorry for any frustration this may have caused you during your stay and we are taking steps to ensure proper communication for future guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope that you will visit again soon. Mahalo and best wishes.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We are staying at the Kea Lani for part of our honeymoon. My husband had raised my expectations of the hotel when he told me we had booked an ocean view suite and that he had gone all out as much as he could with our budget - we flew from the UK and did a California road trip beforehand.

Upon arrival, I was a little disappointed at the number of hours we had to wait for our room to be ready. Having said that, that was totally down to us being unprepared as opposed to anything to do with the Fairmont. The room was ready a lot earlier than their normal check in time.

From day one, we have been looked after day and night. The staff are friendly and genuinely love their jobs, making them approachable and informative. We had our civil ceremony and celebrated my birthday yesterday. They helped my husband plan everything and added so many nice little touches that even surprised my husband. I had an amazing day! They even baked me a chocolate cake after learning that I love chocolate. Concierge came to find out that we were getting married on the island (and I loved chocolates), that same day we came back to our room with a gift hamper waiting for us. We had my birthday and our wedding dinner at the KO restaurant. I hadn't sprayed any mosquito repellent and feared I would be bitten alive as we were sat on a table by the pool. I just happened to mention my concerns to one of the servers and five minutes later he was back with some repellent spray. Nothing is too much for the Kea Lani staff and I've loved every moment of my stay.

We are moving onto the big island tomorrow where we will be staying with the Fairmont Orchid. I hope our experience there is a reflection of our experience here at the Kea Lani.

Well done guys for exceeding my expectations and making us a very happy newly wed couple! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2013
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The suite with the King size bed is perfect for a family of four (age 5 and 7). The bathroom was really nice. The couch is a sleeper which my kids got a kick out of. Pool area is nice. The self parking area is about a 10 min walk up a slight incline.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Shell Beach. CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our first visit to the Kea Lani. We have stayed many times at the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island and it feels like "home." Decided to venture out to another island as my husband had never been to Maui.

I wanted to LOVE this hotel, but ended up liking it. We are President's Club members of a high tier. We booked a Deluxe Ocean View suite. We were assigned a suite on the 4th floor that had an angled view of the ocean, looking over the rooftops of the villas. In retrospect, it probably better met our needs than a straight-on ocean view, because we did not have direct sun beating down on us in the afternoons. But, it was my understanding when I booked with the hotel, that the deluxe ocean view suites were on the top (6th) floor. I was corrected at check in and told that they are on floors 3-6. The views naturally get better the higher up you are. Our friends, who had never been to a Fairmont property before and stayed a few days prior to our arrival, were given a suite on the 6th floor, same distance from the ocean, same suite category. So, it left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth at check-in. We were told that we could switch to a room on the 6th floor overlooking the adult pool, but that was much farther from the ocean, so we stuck with the suite we were given.

The suite itself had a wonderful layout. The bathroom is HUGE, and it was nice for one of us to be able to watch TV in the living room while the other one read in the bedroom, or vice versa. We hung out on the super large lanai a lot. The walk-in shower was nice, but the temperature was difficult to control. It would vary from hot to warm to cold and back again in a matter of a few seconds. The living space was clean, but I was really surprised to find a thick layer of dust and grime on the baseboards in the toilet room. Yuck! The mattress on the king bed was so worn out that when my husband moved at all, I thought I was in the midst of an earthquake. We called housekeeping after the first night and they said they would flip the mattress. The next night it seemed better. But, the last 3 nights it was terrible again. I think they must have flipped it back over!

The pools were beautiful, and the atmosphere here was very understated and peaceful. I was able to swim laps in the adult pool every day without there ever being another person in the pool. I made use of the complimentary sunscreen (spf 30 and spf 50) provided by the pool deck, too. It was frustrating, though, that people put pool towels out on almost every lounge chair early in the morning and left them there unattended. Staff did nothing about the "chair hog" issue, even when questioned by guests.

The front desk and concierge staff were pleasant and helpful. Turn down service was inconsistent....one day it would come at 6:30, the next at 9:00. Not a big deal, but we missed it twice because they came so late and we had put out the "privacy" sign.

The gym had a few machines and lacked free weights. It paled in comparison to the Hyatt on Kaanapali that we also stayed at during this visit to Maui.

Loved the complimentary morning canoe ride the hotel offered, and enjoyed walking down the paved path that connects this property to the other hotels in Wailea. It is pretty narrow, though, so watch out in the morning "rush hour" if you like to run.

We ate at Ko one evening and had attentive service and very tasty, fresh food.

If I were returning to Wailea, I would choose this hotel again over the other close by properties. But, we will return to the Fairmont Orchid for our next vacation. The grounds are similarly lovely, the staff amazing, and the price is about half of what we paid at Kea Lani.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for your sharing your recent experience. As a frequent guest of The Fairmont Orchid and a loyal Fairmont President’s Club member, your opinion and feedback is very important to us. That being said, we are very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with the location and view of your suite. Our reservation agents and website aims to be very clear in the descriptions of each category and view and we truly apologize if you felt misled. It’s nice that you did enjoy our Hawaiian canoe experience and your dining experience at Kō. We truly hope you will visit again in the future.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a gorgeous place with incredible, friendly service. The rooms are simply beautiful! The food is excellent. There are wonderful tide pools to explore along this part of the beach though and many different kinds of shells to inspect. Overall, the resort has a country-club feel and in fact many patrons visit only to play golf and use the spa and fitness facilities. When I return to to Maui this is definitely the hotel I'll book. And I will send as many clients and friends as possible!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you for your wonderful review. We’re so pleased that you had a great stay at the resort and a memorable vacation to Maui. Please know your kind comments will be shared with our entire team. A sincere thank you for the referrals. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Aloha!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We recently completed a stay at the Fairmont. This property is considered upscale, with the likes of the neighboring Four Seasons and to a lesser extent, the Grand Wailea (although I'd say the Fairmont and Four Seasons are definately a step above).

On a positive note, the suites at this hotel are very nice. Bathrooms, living room and bedroom were all clean, nicely appointed and on par with what you'd expect from a nicer hotel. Restaurants were tasty, with a great breakfast buffet. Hotel grounds were clean, with a great beach and pool area.

Our rating of 3 for the property is reflective of our interactions with staff. At check-in, we were denied a room even though an early check-in was requested weeks before. This was ok, understanding a request is not a guaranty. Off to lunch we went - during lunch we received a phone call from the hotel number but no voicemail. Waited 20 minutes and eventually called the hotel to see if a room was available. It was available, but no message was left because the desk attendant "didn't know what happened but couldnt' leave a voicemail"...glad I followed up :/

Upon re-arriving at the hotel we checked in and were told to wait to the side for a bellman to deliver our bags and escort us to our room. 20 minutes later we still had not been escorted...I approached the front desk and asked for our room keys, they begrudgingly handed over the keys.

We went to the room and waited for the bags. And waited for the bags. And waited for the bags. 35 minutes later our bags showed up.

This was not a great way to start the trip. I understand that not all goes perfect, especially during busy check in times. That said, I equate "luxury" hotels and "luxury" room prices with flawless experiences. If experiences aren't up to par, I'd hope they were made right. I've had better treatment at far less "exclusive" properties from far more caring hotel employees.

Upon mentioning the experience to the front desk at check-out the attendant took my feedback but failed to even apologize, instead defending it as a busy check-in day.

While a nice room and nice property, we'll be staying at the Four Seasons or Ritz on the northwestern side next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
While it’s wonderful that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite, and the dining options at the hotel, we apologize for falling short on your check-in experience. We recognize that this is our opportunity to make a positive first impression and sincerely apologize that the service you received was not up to our usual standards. We truly hope you will give us another chance the next time you are visiting Maui. Aloha and thank you again.

Been to The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!