“Kids Don't Eat Free / Expensive! / Cockroach...” 3 of 5 stars

Summer Sale - 15% off
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Kids Don't Eat Free / Expensive! / Cockroach...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I'm really torn about what rating to give the hotel. We just got back from a 6 night/7 day stay there with my family of 4 (two kids which are 5 and 8). We had a fantastic time overall! The resort has plenty of good aspects:
* beautiful grounds and location -- better than Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons.
* great service from most people
* 3 pools with one for adults
* not too many people
* Nick's Fishmarket is amazing
* large rooms, and we had a great one

I could go on with the pros of the hotel, but others have done that well.

Unfortunately, we had a few incidents that left me with a less than stellar perspective on the hotel.

First, the website advertises that kids 5 and under eat free, and kids 6-11 eat for half price. It appears few at the resort knows this policy or understands it. We went based on recommendation from our family who went there about a year ago. They had kids and ate poolside for free and reduced price. One of the first things we did when we arrived was go to the pool and order food. Guess what? It doesn't work poolside any more. The waitress told us we had to be in a sit down restaurant.

So, we went to a sit down restaurant a couple days later. We ate at Nick's Fishmarket, where a kids meal is $15. We didn't think too much of this because of the kids eat free thing. However, when the bill came, we were told that Nick's isn't part of the hotel, so it was full price.

When I complained to the concierge she didn't know the policy, and it took several minutes to try to find someone who knew what it would be. She then said every where BUT poolside and EXCEPT for Nick's was under the policy. She apologized and said the manager would call us to answer the question further.

No call came from the Manager. The next day we then went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. This time when I asked the waitress about the policy before ordering, she stated that the policy was only that kids 5 and under eat free, and kids 6-11 are regular price. I disputed this with her but she wouldn't take it and said that the price on the menu was it! Afterward she was very "cold" to us--not helpful, didn't tell us we need to get our own OJ from the buffet, and basically made me feel like I was stealing somehow when I took a bite of my daughters (free) bacon.

Of course, I went back to the concierge to complain. I had the same concierge and she asked if the Manager ever contacted me--no-- and she again promised they would. She was nice and apologized but nothing came of it. We checked out a day later and were never contacted nor had any amends made.

This is particularly frustrating since this policy is all over the website--but no one provides the policy when you check in, nor seems to understand it. Finally, we paid around $700 / day at the resort for room + food (at least). The cost of providing the kids food would probably have been $10 out of their pocket per day--kids don't eat much. It really left a bad taste in our mouth for their behavior, especially for such a minimal amount of money. This was also one of the reasons we selected the resort--we thought the cost of feeding the kids would be reduced compared to other resorts!

All that said, the resort is quite expensive, so if you go make sure you are aware of that and find alternatives as needed. $20 for a hamburger, $25 for eggs benedict, $12-16 for a cocktail, etc.

Lastly, one night we found a single cockroach in the bathroom. My wife screamed, and I caught and killed the cockroach. I know they are a tropical resort and pests are hard to prevent, but at the same time I think if there is 1 cockroach there are very likely more. You shouldn't have to deal with this at a Fairmont!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Aloha. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's so nice to hear that you had an overall fantastic time with us, and we thank you for the many wonderful accolades. However please accept our apology for not properly communicating our children’s dining program which is available throughout the resort with the exception of In-Suite Dining, Poolside and Nick’s Fishmarket. We are truly sorry for any frustration this may have caused you during your stay and we are taking steps to ensure proper communication for future guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope that you will visit again soon. Mahalo and best wishes.

2,058 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We are staying at the Kea Lani for part of our honeymoon. My husband had raised my expectations of the hotel when he told me we had booked an ocean view suite and that he had gone all out as much as he could with our budget - we flew from the UK and did a California road trip beforehand.

Upon arrival, I was a little disappointed at the number of hours we had to wait for our room to be ready. Having said that, that was totally down to us being unprepared as opposed to anything to do with the Fairmont. The room was ready a lot earlier than their normal check in time.

From day one, we have been looked after day and night. The staff are friendly and genuinely love their jobs, making them approachable and informative. We had our civil ceremony and celebrated my birthday yesterday. They helped my husband plan everything and added so many nice little touches that even surprised my husband. I had an amazing day! They even baked me a chocolate cake after learning that I love chocolate. Concierge came to find out that we were getting married on the island (and I loved chocolates), that same day we came back to our room with a gift hamper waiting for us. We had my birthday and our wedding dinner at the KO restaurant. I hadn't sprayed any mosquito repellent and feared I would be bitten alive as we were sat on a table by the pool. I just happened to mention my concerns to one of the servers and five minutes later he was back with some repellent spray. Nothing is too much for the Kea Lani staff and I've loved every moment of my stay.

We are moving onto the big island tomorrow where we will be staying with the Fairmont Orchid. I hope our experience there is a reflection of our experience here at the Kea Lani.

Well done guys for exceeding my expectations and making us a very happy newly wed couple! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2013
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The suite with the King size bed is perfect for a family of four (age 5 and 7). The bathroom was really nice. The couch is a sleeper which my kids got a kick out of. Pool area is nice. The self parking area is about a 10 min walk up a slight incline.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Shell Beach. CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our first visit to the Kea Lani. We have stayed many times at the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island and it feels like "home." Decided to venture out to another island as my husband had never been to Maui.

I wanted to LOVE this hotel, but ended up liking it. We are President's Club members of a high tier. We booked a Deluxe Ocean View suite. We were assigned a suite on the 4th floor that had an angled view of the ocean, looking over the rooftops of the villas. In retrospect, it probably better met our needs than a straight-on ocean view, because we did not have direct sun beating down on us in the afternoons. But, it was my understanding when I booked with the hotel, that the deluxe ocean view suites were on the top (6th) floor. I was corrected at check in and told that they are on floors 3-6. The views naturally get better the higher up you are. Our friends, who had never been to a Fairmont property before and stayed a few days prior to our arrival, were given a suite on the 6th floor, same distance from the ocean, same suite category. So, it left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth at check-in. We were told that we could switch to a room on the 6th floor overlooking the adult pool, but that was much farther from the ocean, so we stuck with the suite we were given.

The suite itself had a wonderful layout. The bathroom is HUGE, and it was nice for one of us to be able to watch TV in the living room while the other one read in the bedroom, or vice versa. We hung out on the super large lanai a lot. The walk-in shower was nice, but the temperature was difficult to control. It would vary from hot to warm to cold and back again in a matter of a few seconds. The living space was clean, but I was really surprised to find a thick layer of dust and grime on the baseboards in the toilet room. Yuck! The mattress on the king bed was so worn out that when my husband moved at all, I thought I was in the midst of an earthquake. We called housekeeping after the first night and they said they would flip the mattress. The next night it seemed better. But, the last 3 nights it was terrible again. I think they must have flipped it back over!

The pools were beautiful, and the atmosphere here was very understated and peaceful. I was able to swim laps in the adult pool every day without there ever being another person in the pool. I made use of the complimentary sunscreen (spf 30 and spf 50) provided by the pool deck, too. It was frustrating, though, that people put pool towels out on almost every lounge chair early in the morning and left them there unattended. Staff did nothing about the "chair hog" issue, even when questioned by guests.

The front desk and concierge staff were pleasant and helpful. Turn down service was inconsistent....one day it would come at 6:30, the next at 9:00. Not a big deal, but we missed it twice because they came so late and we had put out the "privacy" sign.

The gym had a few machines and lacked free weights. It paled in comparison to the Hyatt on Kaanapali that we also stayed at during this visit to Maui.

Loved the complimentary morning canoe ride the hotel offered, and enjoyed walking down the paved path that connects this property to the other hotels in Wailea. It is pretty narrow, though, so watch out in the morning "rush hour" if you like to run.

We ate at Ko one evening and had attentive service and very tasty, fresh food.

If I were returning to Wailea, I would choose this hotel again over the other close by properties. But, we will return to the Fairmont Orchid for our next vacation. The grounds are similarly lovely, the staff amazing, and the price is about half of what we paid at Kea Lani.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your sharing your recent experience. As a frequent guest of The Fairmont Orchid and a loyal Fairmont President’s Club member, your opinion and feedback is very important to us. That being said, we are very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with the location and view of your suite. Our reservation agents and website aims to be very clear in the descriptions of each category and view and we truly apologize if you felt misled. It’s nice that you did enjoy our Hawaiian canoe experience and your dining experience at Kō. We truly hope you will visit again in the future.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a gorgeous place with incredible, friendly service. The rooms are simply beautiful! The food is excellent. There are wonderful tide pools to explore along this part of the beach though and many different kinds of shells to inspect. Overall, the resort has a country-club feel and in fact many patrons visit only to play golf and use the spa and fitness facilities. When I return to to Maui this is definitely the hotel I'll book. And I will send as many clients and friends as possible!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you for your wonderful review. We’re so pleased that you had a great stay at the resort and a memorable vacation to Maui. Please know your kind comments will be shared with our entire team. A sincere thank you for the referrals. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Aloha!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We recently completed a stay at the Fairmont. This property is considered upscale, with the likes of the neighboring Four Seasons and to a lesser extent, the Grand Wailea (although I'd say the Fairmont and Four Seasons are definately a step above).

On a positive note, the suites at this hotel are very nice. Bathrooms, living room and bedroom were all clean, nicely appointed and on par with what you'd expect from a nicer hotel. Restaurants were tasty, with a great breakfast buffet. Hotel grounds were clean, with a great beach and pool area.

Our rating of 3 for the property is reflective of our interactions with staff. At check-in, we were denied a room even though an early check-in was requested weeks before. This was ok, understanding a request is not a guaranty. Off to lunch we went - during lunch we received a phone call from the hotel number but no voicemail. Waited 20 minutes and eventually called the hotel to see if a room was available. It was available, but no message was left because the desk attendant "didn't know what happened but couldnt' leave a voicemail"...glad I followed up :/

Upon re-arriving at the hotel we checked in and were told to wait to the side for a bellman to deliver our bags and escort us to our room. 20 minutes later we still had not been escorted...I approached the front desk and asked for our room keys, they begrudgingly handed over the keys.

We went to the room and waited for the bags. And waited for the bags. And waited for the bags. 35 minutes later our bags showed up.

This was not a great way to start the trip. I understand that not all goes perfect, especially during busy check in times. That said, I equate "luxury" hotels and "luxury" room prices with flawless experiences. If experiences aren't up to par, I'd hope they were made right. I've had better treatment at far less "exclusive" properties from far more caring hotel employees.

Upon mentioning the experience to the front desk at check-out the attendant took my feedback but failed to even apologize, instead defending it as a busy check-in day.

While a nice room and nice property, we'll be staying at the Four Seasons or Ritz on the northwestern side next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
While it’s wonderful that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite, and the dining options at the hotel, we apologize for falling short on your check-in experience. We recognize that this is our opportunity to make a positive first impression and sincerely apologize that the service you received was not up to our usual standards. We truly hope you will give us another chance the next time you are visiting Maui. Aloha and thank you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel was everything we hoped it would be. Have stayed at Fairmonts before and was equally pleased this time. Every room is a suite and we got a very good price from an online reseller making it a no-brainer. We had deluxe oceanfront top floor right in the center (only downside is that sun shines directly into your room as it sets and it gets hot! - you will need to close the curtains). We did have A/C trouble when we first checked in but when the engineer finally showed up - it got repaired (thanks Jener - the other ppl who came up were clueless). We were just a couple but this is great for families - so nice to have living room - small "kitchen" area with fridge microwave, Keurig and electric kettle plus coffee and tea provided dailly. Best bathroom in any hotel ever; comfortable bed, two ceiling fans, robes, daily turndown and excellent maid service - never once had to remind or call them; some have complained that rooms are dated... i think the wood furnishings are lovely but i do not like the drab decor and color scheme - esp in magnificent Hawaii - they could use new fabrics, soft goods and paint colors - not sure what this decorator was thinking but i could do much better; Other than that - no complaints - nothing was worn or shabby, however, in the least. Also two huge flat screen TV's in each suite.
Also, being in presidents club and having a late flight out last day - we were allowed to use another room as a courtesy suite to change and shower in so we did not waste a beach day - this is a very nice perc that hotel provided. Every staff member was very nice, kind, helpful and genuinely seemed interested in how we were enjoying our stay. We mostly stayed on the beach since we like it - but there are plenty of chaises available on the lawn, at the pool, or wherever. They also have an adult pool. There is no wait service for drinks or food down at the beach - only at the pool areas. There is an upper level pool with a swim up bar. We walked along the beachwalk and saw all of the other hotels in Wailea on the inside as well. I think the Fairmont has the loveliest grounds and is more open and airy than the others. The Marriott has no beach but is open and airy and a good value. Four Seasons and Grand Wailea share a beach even though it's large - very congested looking over there. Grand Wailea has great stores. Fairmont store was closed when we were there but should be open now. Four Seasons went to great pains to block view of beach from pool area and vice versa - I did not like that. Too formal over there for our taste.
The only problem with the Wailea area is that there is not a lot around there in terms of dining and shopping other than hotel restaurants (except Monkeypod - great option for casual near the hotel - a Peter Merriman restaurant - he is the best in Hawaii imho - been to three of his restaurants). You can drive into Kihei for other dining options too. Sensei fantastic and best sushi sashimi place ever. Shops at Wailea is very lovely but pretty upscale and expensive. A few restaurants are there - did not try any - tried to go to one for breakfast at 11:05 - we were too late.
I think the Kaanapaali area is more convenient to stores, shops, etc. but I don't know that the accomodations offered are nearly as nice as in Wailea which is newer.
Nothing is really easy to get to on Maui - lots of driving. You can be in the upcountry coming down the "back way" from Haleakala and you can see Wailea down the hill - would be about a ten minute drive - but you have to go all the way around - well over an hour (Oprah Winfrey, however, has a private road down from her 1000 acre parcel in the upcountry).
Any questions - feel free to email - we spent ten days on the island and tried a lot of the restaurants. Spago at four seaons - too stuffy and intense but beautiful setting - however hotter and steamier than blazes and service was either all over you or absent. I hate when robot waiters bombard you with the specials before you are even seated or have had time to consider a cocktail. I did not like Spaogs other than the view which is gorgoeus, its ultra expensive - if you go - stick to small plates and skip entrees. Merrimans in northern end of island near Kapalua was our favorite by far - get there for sunset - over an hour drive away. Hula grille was very good and fun at Whaler's village in Kaanapali- feet in the sand and great view. Mama's Fish house also not to be missed but most expensive of all - arrive early - ask for good view - get the ceviche in coconut and try some of the great cocktails. take lots of pics there at sunset. Waterfront restaurant in Maalea - only so-so - too traditional but solid if you want Caesar salad or a steak and they offer multiple rather rich preps of cooked fishes - view is really not so great. Mala restaurant in the Marriott was really really good with some casual options and Kobe burgers on the menu as well as full creative entrees and great appetizers and drinks - wonderful food - would go back - great view also. Did not try KO in Fairmont - too many other places and Ko has no view of ocean and very pricey - the cafe Ciao in the Fairmont is wonderful for wraps, snacks, ice cream - get lunches for your trip to hana - great breakfast and snack items - and just lovely decor and very good quality foods in there - they should get that decorator to do the hotel rooms!
When can I go back? not soon enough I am afraid - probably would go to Fairmont again.
If you visit Lahaina - go to the HAWAAIAN gelato place - they dont advertise as much as Ono gelato but they are much better (having been to italy). Lot of great art galleries in Hawaii but the salespeople there are way too pushy and don't let let you just look. I would have bought something if not for that. Lahaina is lots of fun and should not be missed. We ate at Pacific'O there - very trendy sustainable type of menu but not nearly as good as Merriman's - I would select indoor seating at Pacifi'O by the railing for better view than up against the hedges.
Spend time getting some guidebooks - lonely planet or frommers and learn about trip to hana. We also bought CD and map. It's easy to drive there now compared to pre-2001 since entire road is paved. It's just a delight - If you dont want to go the whole way - you can just drive up to say Kenai peninsula and turn around - still worth doing. This isa case where it's about the journey and not the destination. Maui No Ka Oi - truly. (please excuse my spelling in this review)

Room Tip: probably not necessary to pay for full ocean front - too hot - you could back it down a few levels...