“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Keller, TX
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had the opportunity to spend our birthdays at this grand hotel. I can't wait to go back. I can't think of one negative thing to say. The staff, rooms, grounds, food all outstanding. The concierge was terrific and booked our itinerary perfectly. The ocean side spa, oh my what can I say other than excellent! All I can say is thank you Fairmont for a terrific birthday. I will be back next year.

Room Tip: If you want an true ocean view, make sure that the description does not say angled view.....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday at The Fairmont Kea Lani! We're thrilled to hear that you had a memorable stay and enjoyed all the resort has to offer, especially your oceanside spa cabana experience. We truly appreciate all of your kind comments and can’t wait to welcome you back again next year. Aloha and best wishes to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Korean first
Horsham Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been going to the Caribbean for vacation for over 30 years now, and I
Thought it was about time to try Hawaii. Well, to say the least, I had sticker
Shock. My first issue was with my travel agent. I told her that I wanted a
Ocean view room – like we have always had in any of our Caribbean vacations –
But for $500+ a night, my only view of the ocean was off the balcony , looking
Down the length of the building. Room 405. Just across the hall they had
A full ocean view. Wonder what those rooms cost ?

The hotel was nice , the staff were very friendly , and the hotel shuttle service
Took us anywhere we wanted. However, the cost was border line insane.
$30.00 for an Omelet, $25.00 for a hamburger. The most reasonable place
We encountered – and I say this tongue in cheek – was Tommy Bahamas.
The happy hour was good and the food cost reasonable. I went to happy
Hour at the Fairmount Kea Lani’s Lava room off the reception area, and
The gin that they served was absolute swill. Some specialty drinks at the
Pool- when you could find a chair – could cost you $15.00 a pop. You
Would think that a hotel with the fairmount’s reputation could serve decent
Gin at happy hour however, they would rather wait until happy hour is over
And then gouge the few customers that they had for twice the money.

Ate that the Ko, food was good , greatly overprices. Ate at Capische and
I am more Italian that his place. My wife ordered a 6 -7 ounce New York steak
And that came in at $65.00. They raise cattle, sheep, chickens – from whence
Come eggs- and still they gouge the vacationers for every dollar that they can.
Seems like a disconnect here some where. I will let others ponder the answer.

The beds were not all that comfortable, too soft, so we had some lower back pain
They entire stay at the hotel.

Smokers are not welcome. My wife smokes a little and she had to go to one of 3
Locations on the hotel property to smoke. Now, I don’t smoke, and I am trying to
Get the wife to stop smoking but treating smokers like pariah is not right. We have
Been to hotels in the Caribbean that do not allow smoking in the rooms , but allow
People to smoke on the balconies. This is a sensible compromise.

So, in closing. I can not see why anyone from the east cost – we are from the Phila.
Area – would want to go to Hawaii. I could have had almost two wonderful vacations
In the Caribbean for the cost of this one to Hawaii. The only thing that Hawaii has
That the Caribbean does not have are Volcanoes. The second largest barrier reef in
The world lies close to Cancun. There are dozens of wonderful vacation spots
Just 4 to 5 hours away. Even the west cost of the USA could fly down to the West
Cost of Mexico for a great vacation. The water in Hawaii if a beautiful deep blue
However, the waters in the Caribbean are wonderful blue / green that you never
Forget.

So, for me , it is back to the Caribbean for sensible pricing on hotels and food.
And, don’t let people try to blow up your butts by telling you that the reason
Why the prices are so high is that Hawaii is a island and has to import everything.
They had a Pineapple industry that dried up because they could not compete
On the open market. They have only one sugar cane factory that will probably
Close in the near future because of the same reason. Real Estate is so expensive
That I don’t see how people survive. I saw add for 1000-1200SqFt homes in
The low 400K price range. Saw a new article about the CEO of power company
On the big island (1.4 mil people) who had her salary increased to 5 Million a year.
Not too shabby at all.

Well, as they say in the islands, Aloha !!!

Room Tip: Go to the Caribbean
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for your honest review. We are very sorry to hear that the destination pricing had such a negative affect on your vacation. Please accept our sincere apology and know that your comments will be shared with the team. Warmest aloha.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our 5th or 6th stay at Kea Lani. Stayed in 2 BR ocean view villa this time. Was able to get a view of the ocean from the 2nd floor bedroom. Villa was clean and virtually spotless. New cabanas at the pool replacing the run down blue ones. Overall the staff was excellent. Food at Nick's was not as good as before. We wish we just had more time to spend here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

All suite hotel, the room is large as is the bathroom. I wanted to move in! Bathrooms have a separate tub and shower, well stocked toiletries, a nice sized living room, comfortable bedding with orchids placed on your pillow. Best thing is the very large lanai, sit out and listen to the waves. Definitely get an oceanview suite, totally worth it as the view is very scenic. The pool options are great, you can go anytime (they don't close), it's large with a small waterslide for the kids, there is a nice bar right at the pool, and if you want to get away from the kids they have a very attractive adults only pool. The beach is wonderful, great for swimming and feels semi private as the sandy stretch is bookended by rocky shores. There are also great walking trails in Wailea right along the ocean. The Grand Wailea and Four Seasons offer comparable prices but the Fairmont Kea Lani gives a much better and larger room and at a similar high caliber quality for at a similar price range, a much better value. Stay here! It's paradise!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Berkeley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani for five nights at the end of April. It was a special occasion, my mom's 80th birthday and her first visit to Hawaii. Overall, we had an absolutely wonderful experience. This was my third visit to this property.

Check In and Rooms: When we checked in there was a problem with the reservation. The room we were offered was a King Bed room, but we had clearly requested two doubles so that our mom could sleep on a bed and not a pull out sofa. We had been in touch with the hotel concierge staff prior to our trip to book restaurants and ensure a smooth check in. I reminded the concierge that my mom is 80 and recovering from a pelvic fracture. She promised to make these notes to ensure that we had a nice room, and a room convenient to elevators. I would add here that we paid a full price rate for our room -- We did not get the five nights for four deal, as others have. Since they only had a King Bed Room for us, we were asked to wait for an hour or so for a double to become available. The one we were given was as far away from the elevators as you can be -- the very tip of the farthest tower. What a hike for my mom, who still limps. The room was dark and musty, although large. There was a promised view of the ocean, but also of a large construction project directly below our balcony. We woke up to noise the next morning. I was not happy! Unfortunately, we were unable to move rooms that first night. The next day the hotel moved us to an upgraded full ocean view room on the sixth floor. Best yet, it was two rooms from the elevator, making it much easier for my mother. I was really disappointed in the check in -- and upset about the room they assigned us and my frail mother. On the other hand, they did come through the next day and try hard to make us happy and meet our needs. We spent the remainder of our time at the Hotel marveling at our million dollar view.

Hotel Grounds and Facilities: I love the lay out of this hotel, and the way it is situated just slightly up a grade from the ocean. The grounds are lovely, full of grass and exotic plantings and winding paths. There are three pools, but we spent all of our pool time at the adult pool. The beach is not shared by another hotel and has more surf than the adjoining beaches. So, if you like waves, you will get more of them at the Kea Lani, than for instance, the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea (they share a more sheltered cove).

Restaurants: We ate at both Nick's and Ko. Both meals were excellent. I had watched the reviews of Nick's go down in the last year, but our service and the food was excellent. Perhaps they are working hard to correct their problems. I recommend it. Our meal at Ko was fantastic. Its reputation as the Best Restaurant on Maui and on the of the best in Hawaii is well earned. Our meals were amazing. I recommend ordering one of their local fresh fish. They will prepare it for you five different ways -- you choose. We had room service breakfast four mornings, and treated ourselves to the buffet breakfast once. I would not splurge on the buffet each morning. It is expensive and how much food can you really eat in the morning? For lunch, we tended to pick up salads or sandwiches, rather than eat at the restaurants. One day we did eat lunch at the Polo Grill. PErhaps we chose poorly, but that meal was disappointing and really expensive. My salad was $26 and NOT GOOD. As well, our waitress was quite inattentive. The restaurant bar is delightful and the service is excellent. Each night at 6 p.m. there is live music. A must.

Service: I have already commented on the check in service issue. Otherwise, I found the staff pleasant and helpful. I can't give them five stars, though. WHile most of the staff members seemed to enjoy their jobs and are very professional, a few missed the mark by being either too slow or inattentive. Here is an example: The young men down at the beach seemed more interested in chatting than in setting up umbrellas. Without a tip in your hand don't expect them to lay out your towels for you. The stand out wonderful staff members were the pool side waiters/waitresses, and the guys who set up the lounge chairs on the grass and around the pool. They were so cheerful and professional.

Overall: I would return to this hotel. I would be even more careful and specific about room requests -- perhaps call twice before arrival just to ensure that we are getting what we requested. The Kea Lani is a gorgeous hotel with a fabulous location and beach. The staff are very good without being great. The rooms are nice and very large. The restaurants, with the exception of the Polo Grill, are excellent. The hotel bar is a real treat. We had a wonderful time and my mom loved her special 80th birthday celebration.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for being such a loyal guest and for choosing The Fairmont Kea Lani to celebrate your mother’s 80th birthday! It’s wonderful to hear that you found the resort to be beautiful, but are sorry to learn that the service level was inconsistent. Please be assured the departmental management team has been notified and your feedback will assist in better serving future guests. From all of us here, we wish your mother a belated happy birthday and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Number of Nights: 6

Rate: $539/night with the 5th night free (winter promotion)- which worked out to somewhere around $489/night

Room: least expensive category, no title, but room description says it "overlooks landscaping and neighbouring side streets"

I chose the Kea Lani because my traveling party consisted of two adults and two 13 year old girls (myself, my partner, our daughter and her best friend). As this was a long anticipated holiday, I loved the idea of a bedroom, with a door that closed- two beds in a small room for 10 nights was not appealing. Every living area at the Kea Lani has a sofa bed, so it seemed like an ideal set up.

We arrived at night. The driveway had several lit torches lining the curb, which was very pretty. We pulled up and were immediately greeted by valet (valet is optional- $25/night, $15 for self park). As we gathered up our things and were discussing luggage, a bell person presented up with purple orchid leis- very pretty. They asked our name and walked us to the front desk. The woman working was very warm, with a big smile. I felt that she was sincere in her welcome. We got the business part of check in settled, and she offered us all POG (pineapple, orange, guava) juice or water. We all accepted and it was very delicious. She outlined a few restaurant options and drew the path to our room on a map, then called a bell person over to walk us and our bags to our room.

The hotel is huge. Really big.

First impressions- the lobby has a massive, soaring ceiling with four large domes. Everything is white marble...the floor, the walls. It was dark, but I could see that the lobby opened up to the outside. The entry of the hotel was just wide open- no doors (no wall!)- coming from Canada, I had never seen that before. The temperature was the same in the lobby as outside, warm, not humid and the air had a "soft" quality that is hard to describe. Flowers and greens were everywhere, and as we walked to our room, we passed through several areas that opened up to the sky.

We reached our tower- the hotel is like a string of five connected blocks, kind of zigzagging sideways along the property. Our room was the last room of the last block. We were on floor K- in six nights, I never figured out the numbering system, nor did I determine if we were travelling up or down in the elevator to get to the lobby- a very disconcerting feeling. As we walked, and walked, with the bell person, we passed through three of the five blocks. The tower our room was in had strangely wide hallways- the widest hotel hallways I have ever seen. It seemed like a waste of space, but maybe there is a reason? The hallway was quite dark and the carpet has a pattern that almost looks as though it is worn- though we determined that it is the pattern, with gradient colour, and not wear. A poor design- I saw several reviews that commented on worn hallway carpets- they actually seemed quite new, I think- just a very poor choice.

We finally reached our room- K97- at the very far end. I commented that it was a hike, and the bell person (who was very nice and chatted all the way) said that the end rooms were worth it because they had wrap-around balconies. The end of the hallway had a fire exit door that was not so pretty- odd placement- actually one of the stranger hotel hallways I've seen.

Our room was very big- bigger than in the pictures I saw online. I believe it was an upgrade, possibly because I am a member of the Fairmont President's Club, though not an exceptional upgrade. The living room area was very big. In the entryway just beyond the door was a wet bar- sink, mini fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker (a Keurig or Tassimo- can't remember the exact type). Opposite the wet bar is the bathroom, which is massive- a huge bathroom that doesn't seem to use the space very efficiently. There is just a lot of floor happening! The bathroom has a shower; a huge, deep bathtub; and separate little room for the toilet; two sinks; and a long shelf for toiletries. There were two robes and a hamper for used towels. The bathroom has a second door that leads to the bedroom.

Back to the living area. The living area had a large couch and two side chairs, and a long ottoman/coffee table. It also has a desk with two chairs. There is a huge TV with an elaborate entertainment system- speakers, DVD, etc. In this particular room, there are windows everywhere, and three full size sliding doors that lead to a huge balcony (lanai). The lanai has a table and four chairs and two lounge chairs. The lanai furniture is plain and not particularly spotless- no cushions or decoration.

The bedroom has a king bed, and is reasonably large. It has a small closet, a set of drawers, two side tables with more small drawers and a large TV. It also has a sliding door to the lanai.

The room seemed very clean, and did not seem worn. A plug-in attachment on the desk was broken and falling off, but that was the only real sign of wear that I could see. The bedding was very crisp and luxurious and the bed was incredible. The sofa bed was thin but the girls said it was comfortable. The front desk made sure that we would call housekeeping when we wanted the bed made up, and we did the first few nights. The whole room had blackout curtains, and sheers.

The reason that I think this was just a little upgrade was because, although the room is bigger and has the huge, wraparound balcony, the room was on the third floor and directly faced the Polo Beach Club condo building. There really was no view- we looked straight down to a parking lot- the free beach access lot, which was always empty- weird!- and straight onto the condo building. If you looked to the right, there was a sliver of ocean between trees. There was always a lot of landscaping noise- but I suspect that was everywhere, as they are constantly grooming the grounds. I think you would have to be at least two floors higher to get any kind of view. I booked and paid for no view, so I didn't really expect one.

We spent a lot of our time really just enjoying the hotel. The lounge has a big staircase down the middle, which goes from the lobby to the grounds, and seating on either side. I think it opens for drinks and a very limited menu of appetizers around 11 am. The chairs all face a wall of huge arches- there is a real Middle Eastern/Mediterranean vibe to the architecture here- that are wide open to the outside and have a stunning view of the grounds, a koi pond, the lawn and the ocean beyond it.

The beach at the Kea Lani is beautiful. I have very little experience with beaches, but I was shocked at how soft the sand was. There are beach staff that immediately set up chairs for you. They never ask your room number or anything. We didn't book an umbrella, but you could for free. The umbrellas are only allowed in the back rows, chairs can be anywhere. We forgot to put on sunblock (it had been kind of overcast) and we regretted that later. Not used to the intensity of the sun!

There are signs saying that no alcohol is allowed on the beach, but we walked up to the pool bar and they happily made a take out tray of drinks for us to take to the beach, complete with cup o' bar snacks. Love it! The cocktails were $10 each.

We played in the waves a bit, then asked at the beach kiosk about renting a little wave board...but they were $9.00 an hour, or $40 a day. I bought two at Long's Drugs in Lahaina the next day for $17.00 each. They were cheap but worked.

Overall, we loved this hotel. It is comfortable, very low key, unpretentious, and really beautiful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I went there last year during Xmas with my parents, it was a great hote. Service is impeccable. We asked ahead for early check-in as our flight landed at 10am, and our room was ready by the time we walked into the front door (not to mention the fresh lei and a glass a pog for my parents while I check-in). Whether it's asking for an extra pair of slippers or an extra wine glasses we received it within 5 minutes. We asked for the sofa to be converted to a bed at night and back to a sofa during the daytime and it was done at the exact time we requested it. The view from the balcony is breath-taking and it is wonderful to enjoy a Hawaiian sunset in your own room with a bottle a wine. The hotel beach is only so-so but the staff there was also very professional and I certainly enjoyed the canopy in the garden quite a bit too much. If I were ever to go back to Maui, this is definitely my hotel of choice.

The downside is the furnitures aren't as luxury as you'd expect, polo beach is really mediocre, and it's a long drive to Kaanpali/Lahaina region, but I think it's definitely worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!