“Best Maui Option” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
San Francisco, California
“Best Maui Option”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

The Four Seasons Maui is a sensational option for those guests looking for a busier vacation experience. On my most recent trip, I had an opportunity to experience both this property as well as the Four Seasons Hualalai, located on the big island of Hawaii.

The Four Seasons Maui is located on Wailea, which has a reputation of being Maui's most desirable beach. The weather is almost always ideal, lacking the sometimes annoying trade winds found more commonly on other areas of the island. Immediately adjacent to the FS Maui is the Fairmont Kea Lani and the Grand Wailea Maui. In addition to numerous resorts, Wailea also features an amazing upscale outdoor shopping mall with high end stores and restaurants.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, this might not be your place. We found that although service was excellent throughout, you are often sharing your resort experience with other guests. Pools were often crowded, as well as most common areas of the hotel. This was at a time that 1/4 of the rooms were out of service due to a rooms renovation.

That being said, the common areas of the hotel were beautiful. From the moment you arrive, you are greeting in true Hawaiian spirit. The lobby area is tranquil and offers a stunning view of the water.

We were given a room that had not been renovated. We were still however impressed by the overall feel and appearance of the room. Standards rooms are spacious, measuring approximately 600 sq. feet depending upon location. Each standard room features a marble bath with separate tub and glass enclosed shower. I would imagine that the hotel will be upgrading the bathrooms as a part of the renovation. Additionally, beds are typically Four Seasons, with extremely comfortable mattresses and Frette linens. Lanai's (outdoor patio's) are spacious and feature a candle, table & chairs. Our ocean view category room was private and captured beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.

Service throughout was impeccable, perhaps even beyond that of your typical Four Seasons. Even at a property with numerous guests, you feel that your satisfaction is always their top priority.

The resort has several dining options on property. My personal suggestion is the outdoor Italian restaurant, Ferraro's, which offers a spectacular array of Italian offerings. You can dine under the stars while listening to the wave’s crash. I would highly recommend a Breakfast package, as the hotel offers a wonderful morning Breakfast spread!

If you're looking for a fine hotel experience, with plenty of activities, this might be your place. The Four Seasons Wailea does a wonderful job all around, with wonderful facilities and a stunning location. The pool may be somewhat of a "scene" but it's a wonderful property indeed. Once the renovation is complete, the guest experience should be amazing, with all rooms featuring wireless internet as well as flat panel televisions and updated furnishings.

On another note, if you desire something more intimate and relaxing, you may want to opt for the Four Seasons Hualalai on the big Island of Hawaii.

• Liked — Amazing Service
  • Disliked — Sometimes Loud Pool Scene
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Korean first
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

Just returned from our second trip to Maui, after relentlessly considering all options, all islands. Worried we had spent too much time researching our trip. My husband thanked me everyday for the time I put in on our decision to stay at the Four Seasons in Wailea. The staff and service were great. The public areas were relaxing and classy. We like to beach hop and cruise the island; location was perfect. Not crazy about room renovation, as walking past a huge widescreen TV is not our idea of paradise, but we will be back.

• Liked — Staff, open public areas, beach
  • Disliked — need seperate kids area, expensive, so-so food
  • Tips/Secrets — If we tell, they won't be secrets anymore!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

The service is incredible, they treat you like a queen/king. The food is OK. The pool is horrible, very small and crowded. Not my idea of a vacation. It usually lightens up in the late afternoon. The families come out very early. I'm from the east coast so it is a long flight to Maui, it felt like I was in Florida. I guess Hawaii is the west coast's florida. There were people every where, I felt like we did not have privacy. The beach was crowded, row after row of beach chairs. The hotel was nice, but needs a renovation bad. The spa was nice, had a very good massage. We had a partial ocean view, because we don't stay in the room much. But if you like a good view, don't get anything below ocean view.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Crowds
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

This experience was my first with Four Seasons and it was impeccable!! Now that I have been spoiled with such top notch service it will be hard to go to a non 4 seasons resort. The beach area as all the restaurants and pool area are fabulous! The spa was just ok. I love BIG really nice spas with more ammenities. It was a nice relaxing day but I had higher expectations for that area. The breakfast buffet was out of this world. The made to order pancakes were to die for. The restaurant Spago was also unreal!!! The service for the entire property is 5 star actually 10 star ! We also were upgraded at no charge to an ocean view room which was such a special treat. Enjoy your stay in dreamland!!!

• Liked — POOL AREA AND FOOD
  • Disliked — SPA
  • Tips/Secrets — CELEBRATE AN OCCASION THERE SO YOU GET NICE TREATS AND FREE UPGRADES
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

It's been a while, so unfortunately, I can't remember all of the details, but we loved it. The resort is absolutely beautiful.

We stayed for 2 nights. It was my birthday the day we checked in. There was a card and sweets waiting for me. And the second night they upgraded us into a suite. Now that's service! The valet was always prompt in getting our car.

The openness of the resort is great. Four Seasons in general does a good job in incorporating the environment into its resorts. They were undergoing some renovation but it didn't bother us at all.

We enjoyed snorkeling and sitting by the beach. All snorkeling equipment is free for an hour. We also spent some time in the pool and the jacuzzis. The fitness area is outside, which is nice, and each machine has its own screen. We also enjoyed walking on the beach and the walkway to the other nearby properties. We saw the Fairmont, the Grand Wailea and the other one whose name escapes me now, and we felt we had made the best choice.

In terms of dining, we only ate once in the hotel for lunch. It was at the Italian place by the beach. I can't remember the name, but the view was amazing. The food was just okay.

All in all, it was our favorite place in Maui, and we would definitely go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

It has been said so many times before, but this was truly a 5 star experience. Although we were only there three days, it made our trip entirely magical. I have stayed at both the Grand Wailea and Kea Lani and will never stay anywhere else but the Four Seasons, except when I have kids of my own I will venture over to the Grand for the pool.

I did not tell my boyfriend that we were staying here as it was a birthday surprise. From the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed.

At check in my boyfriend was roaming around in shock and I made a passing comment to the front desk lady that it was a surprise to celebrate our birthdays. Later that afternoon when we returned to the room there was a lovely plate of chocolates and desserts with a note wishing us a happy birthday. The Four Seasons Touch!

We stayed in a mountain side room and I am not that picky about views since we are not in there that much, but I am picky about the quality of the rooms, beds, pillows, ect. I had nothing to complain about whatsoever. Granted you can see the parking lot below, but they have done a nice job of trying to protect your privacy. I think this room is a bargain for what the property offers and I will certainly stay in the same category when I go back.

Loved the bathroom and the sound system is such a great touch for the ladies especially. I definitely took my time having a bath and getting ready with sounds of the island playing. A glass of champagne really adds to the mood as well....and that was all possible since I arranged to have a mini fridge in the room to chill beverages.

It is true that you do have to be up and out at the pool at about 6:45-7am if you want to get a beach cabana. I highly reccomend them since there are some that are secluded. You cant beat staring at the ocean all day! One guy told me that he goes every Christmas and is out at 3AM to claim the prime cabana and that it is wall to wall people. That sounds like something to avoid :)

The gym is AMAZING! It made me even want to work out and I loved it. The cardio area is open air and overlooks the pool and ocean. Each machine has a TV. Fresh fruit, chilled water and gatorade. I miss that gym. Yoga on the beach was "ehhh" for me. Its very basic and I got very bored. I was jealous of all the people going to snorkel in the perfectly calm ocean wishing that the class would end. My boyfriend loved it though....so it may be your cup of tea.

Pacific Grill breakfast is great. The mac nut pancakes are yummy and irresistible. I had the mac nut pancakes at The Gazebo and I liked these better. Granted the breakfast is pricy but you will be full all day.

Ferraros was just okay in my opinion. The view is spectacular but I liked the lunch menu much more. The service was a bit slow too but I think our waiter was just slow in general. Spagos on the other hand....excellent food and wine menu and a great view too.

I will end with saying that one of the reasons the Four Seasons is so wonderful is the STAFF. They really care about how you are doing and making sure you are taken care of. Our bellman, Chaz was one of those people. Chaz was also our "driver" in the complimentary car service to the Wailea Shops. He told us to have Tommy Bahamas (Fantastic Food!) call him when we were done, and there he was waiting for us. He also passed us in the hall when we were leaving and ended up walking us out and helping us load up just because he wanted to.......the best part is that when we returned home I had an email from Chaz making sure we made it home safely and that he enjoyed meeting us. Who does that??? The Four Seasons wonderful Staff does that. Not to say that is the norm, but these people love their job and it shows from the front desk staff, to house keeping, and the pool staff...everyone was wonderful!

I know there are people out there reading these posts and teeter-totering between staying here or someplace else. STAY HERE!!! You will not regret it, even if it is for just a few nights...

• Liked — Hard to pick just one as everything is stellar
  • Disliked — The the long walk to the rooms during construction
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a Mountain side room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon from October 8th thru October 17th. Before I describe the construction issue I do have to say that it is a very beautiful location and the staff service of the resort is impeccable.
The problem we both had was that we were never notified by the hotel that the week we would be staying there the hotel was going to be conducting daily jackhammering of the kid's pool. When I say jackhammering, I mean two large machines operating at high decibels from 10 am until 5 pm from Monday thru Thursday. This was completely annoying given the fact that, had we known about the planned construction, we would have planned to do our golf, snorkeling etc those days rather than try to unwind from the wedding lying at the pool or beach with constant drilling going on 30 feet from your lounge chair.

If the construction was not occuring it would have been a much more enjoyable experience.

Stayed October 2006

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!