“First Class Service in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   3900 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Cleburne, Texas
“First Class Service in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Four Seasons Resort Maui and can't wait to return! We were greeted as we got out of our limousine and taken by our concierge to the Club Level for check-in. The room was very spacious and the bathroom as everyone mentions was beyond compare with luxurious amenities. The Club Lounge is accesible any time of the day with complimentary continental breakfast items, daily snacks and afternoon tea, evening hors devours & cocktails and late night cordials & deserts....you could actually stay here on this floor your entire stay and never leave---but we didn't! The restaurants are just too tempting. We ejoyed lunch and dinner at Ferraro's more than once and you can't go wrong with the beautiful views while dining with them. The service and food were both excellent! We ate at Spago and once again were more than pleased with this as well. Overall, you can't go wrong with this resort for pure relaxation and service beyond compare. The conceirge staff on the Club floor was always ready to help with any questions we had and their outstanding service made our stay most enjoyable!

• Liked — Club level lounge
  • Disliked — Can't find any faults...everything was perfect
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Korean first
Howell, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea from 7/31-8/05 after spending four nights at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel (see that review separately). While I was sad to leave Ka'anapali and all the wonderful restaurants and things to do, all of my tears instantly evaporated the second we drove onto the premise. I have stayed in Wailea twice before at the Renaissance and Kea Lani, but the Four Seasons was far and away the most phenomenal hotel I have ever stayed in.

We booked the "Romance for All Seasons" package, as we were getting married at a nearby beach on August 1st and wanted this to be the most amazing trip of our lives. We were NOT disappointed.

The minute we drove up in our mustang convertible (which was part of the package, with free overnight valet included), someone came and put fresh, beautiful leis on both of us. They took our bags and lead us to the front desk, where we were instantly greeted with cold towels (which was just what the doctor ordered after a long ordeal at the rental car pick-up).

As we checked in, they informed us that they were upgrading us from a partial ocean to a deluxe ocean view room. I was COMPLETELY shocked by this....I have read lots of reviews on here and know better than to expect an upgrade, especially since they were booked to capacity. I have no idea why this happened, unless it was a perk from booking such an expensive package. Or, it may have been because we were scheduled to be in a room with two double beds and we requested a king bed since this was where we would be spending our wedding night. In either case, we were both so excited that the check-in ladies could probably see us jumping up and down.

Our bellman took us to the seventh floor (room 714, which was just perfect!) and gave us a tour of the room. There was a bottle of champagne and a nice note congratulating us on our wedding, as well as a jar of dried fruit and petite-fours that we instantly enjoyed on our balcony! The room was very clean and larger than I imagined. The bathroom was also pristine and functional with two sinks, a large vanity and mirror (great for doing hair and make-up!), a walk-in shower, and a jacuzzi tub. There was even a phone next to the toilet!! I almost wish I had used it just to say that I did!

One drawback was that our particular room did not have a fridge. I would suggest requesting such a room in case you have leftovers, as we did. We ended up putting our leftovers in the mini-bar since that was refrigerated.

There was a coffee grinder and whole beans which we used only once, as breakfast at the Pacific Grille was part of our package. This was a wonderful way to start the day.....they had everything you could imagine from made-to-order macadamia nut pancakes to fresh fruit to purple potatos and hash browns. The BEST item was cheese blintzes....they had these only once and I wept every subsequent day that they weren't on the spread. For kids they had a tot-sized buffet with Finding Nemo plates and powdered donuts...so cute! It was so nice having a large breakfast every morning, and all we had to do was sign the slip since the meal AND gratuity was included with the package. That was a $60 value every morning, and allowed us to snack through lunch most days. Plus, they gave us boxes on the morning we went to Hana so we could pack things up and didn't have to buy any lunch at all! They always referred to us by name, joking around about how our name changed after the wedding on Tuesday, and were eager to help in any way they could. One day my husband went to order a pancake and they covered his tray so the birds wouldn't get at it. Excellent, friendly service no matter who we met!

Also included in our package was a couples massage at the spa, which we did our last full day (we chose lomi-lomi....mmmm!!!). The locker rooms were wonderful with a steam room (great for the sinuses!) and delicious ginger-flavored hot tea and lemon water. They had everything a girl could want, from make-up remover to a hair drier....even cold cucumbers for your eyes!! The massage itself was wonderful, though it went by SO quickly! These were obviously professionals with a lot of experience. Tip is NOT included with the massage in this package, so it was one of the few things we paid for the entire time we were there.

That evening we had dinner at Ferraros, also a part of the package. In many ways, this was the biggest positive surprise of our trip. From the outside, this doesn't look like a very romantic place. It's right next to the pool! However, now we know why it won an award for "most romantic restaurant!" We had made reservations before we left for Hawaii, and asked for the best table at the best time to see the sunset. Upon arriving at the restaurant they noted that we had the best table in the house and took us to a beautiful spot that overlooked the ocean. I completely forgot the pool was even there!

Our waiter was top notch....one of the best I've ever had, actually. When our wine came (which, incidentally, is included in the package up to $75!!), the cork was wet and instead of having us try it, he got another bottle on the spot. Later, when my husband asked for a good dessert wine recommendation, the waiter gave a suggestion and later came back to change his mind because he'd thought carefully about it and came up with a better pairing. Keep in mind this dinner and tip were already included in our package....he was just doing this because he's an excellent server! We told him up front that we wanted to enjoy the experience and had nowhere to be, so he took things slow and let us enjoy the evening. However, he always seemed to know EXACTLY when we were ready to order and gave us just enough time to enjoy everything. I would turn to say something to my husband and would turn around to find I had a new napkin or my glass had been filled. It was unbelievable!

The food itself was unique and delicious. I had the lobster risotto which was probably my favorite meal of the trip....I was so sorry I couldn't finish it! We also had great soups, a complimentary calamari appetizer (sometimes calamari can be chewy but this was out-of-this-world!), and split a great dessert because were too full to have our own.

At one point, someone sent the violinist who had been playing all evening over to our table to serenade us since we had just been married. It was little touches like that which made us feel that the restaurant was open for us alone. We even got to see the conch-shell ceremony, as he comes around and lights the torches right in the restaurant.

As we were leaving we stopped and spoke with the manager, and it was obvious she takes a lot of pride in the restaurant and the service they provide. They didn't even have us sign anything upon leaving.....we probably racked up a $300 bill and were just able to walk out and enjoy our evening. It was an experience I will never forget!

For our wedding dinner all 10 of us went to Spago for dinner. We had labored over this decision because we wanted it to be an incredibly special night, and it certainly was. That having been said, I think ANY place would've been special on our wedding night....we were so busy trying to enjoy every minute, every toast, and every bite that in many ways it was completely impossible to capture the moment. The service here was wonderful, and the decor was very cool....it had a much more formal, big-city feel than many of the open-air restaurants we ate at on the rest of the trip.

Everyone agreed that the food was delicious, and we went all out from champagne to appetizers to dessert. The wine was specially chosen by my husband's parents and both the red and white were phenomenal!! All and all this was the perfect place to do such a dinner because the service is great, the food is top notch, and it was in our hotel so travelling was not an issue.

Also as part of the package they do a bougainvillea trail with champagne and bath soaps in your room. We had them do this on our wedding night instead of our Ferraros night, and it was just beautiful! We left an extra tip for the maids because of this....I can only imagine cleaning up all those petals!

Every night they did a turn-down service so we'd walk into the room and hear quiet Hawaiian music playing. We'd go on the balcony and watch the stars (the light pollution is SO much less there!) and realize that this is paradise!

I will say, I had read about the pools being crowded and cabanas being hard to come by. This is definitely true. One morning we looked for a cabana around 7:30 and there were only a few left. You really need to get down there around 6:00-6:30 to get a good one. They do NOT enforce the 20-minute rule....lots of people claimed cabanas at 6:30 and never came back until 10:00. It was kind of weird around 8:30 when people were looking for cabanas and even though tons of them were empty, none of them were available. That having been said, there are lots of beach chairs available throughout the day and service is just as good at those. We had drinks and lunch in our cabana one day which wasn't cheap, but certainly was delicious AND fun. We even tried the mai-tai served from a pineapple. *sigh!*

I had also read that guests can be very snobby and kids can be unruly at this hotel. We noticed no such thing. In fact, I'm a teacher and am super-sensitive to annoying children, and all the kids I saw were extremely polite and friendly. One little girl bumped into someone at the breakfast buffet and was so cute in apologizing over and over. One day we saw the kids on a scavenger hunt at the Kids for All Seasons program.....they were so well-mannered and sweet! As someone who was there for a honeymoon when they were at full capacity, I never thought the kids were in the way or annoying at all. Some of the adult guests were a little stand-offish, but most of the ones we encountered were friendly and glad to be on vacation just like us!

I knew going in that the service would be impeccable, and I also knew most of the amenities and treatments we would receive. That having been said, it's a completely unique experience when it's actually happening to you.....I can't imagine a nicer stay! From the friendly valets who ask about your day to the breakfast staff greeting you with a smile at 6:00 AM, it really is a surreal world where everything is just perfect! There were many times that I felt we were honored guests, receiving special treatment that was for us alone. I have a feeling ALL of their guests feel this way because the hard work they do to make it seem as such.

I would HIGHLY recommend booking a package as we did, if you can swing it. It was so nice being able to do things like get a massage and valet park the car without worrying about the bill that we were racking up. We barely got our credit card out the whole time we stayed there because everything was included....even monogrammed bathrobes that we're wearing all over the place!

I also would recommend booking things, like dinners, massages, etc. in advance because we were able to get the best tables and times because we didn't wait too late.

Finally, I would recommend bringing lots of kleenex because you will cry your eyes out when you have to leave. We sure did....what a way to start a marriage, I don't know how the rest of our married lives will compare to the first few days!!!

• Liked — Service, especially valet and at Ferraros
  • Disliked — Leaving!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the romance package!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

Pros:
+ Incredible service throughout the resort – including bellmen, parking attendants, concierge and pool attendants
+ Beautiful, luxurious lobby and hallways – all open air
+ Pampering – pool attendants provide shade upon request and are constantly refilling ice water, offering fruit, ices and cold towels to cool off
+ Very large, clean guestrooms and bathrooms
+ Great food at Ferraro’s
+ Great location in Wailea

Cons:
- Required $12 per day overnight parking fee (there is no free lot available)
- Only expensive food options on premises

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

My new wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon during the last week in July. We found the Four Seasons to live up to its hype as the best hotel on Maui. Here's what I thought:

Rooms: They were fine, and I didn't think they were outdated at all. We had a garden view room that could have easily passed for a partial ocean view. Both the main room and the bathroom were very large and spacious. After getting the idea from other reviewers, we asked for a mini-fridge so that we could stock our own wine, sodas, and water, and the ability to grind your own coffee made for the best in-room coffee I’ve ever tasted. Housekeeping and turn-down were well done, with my only gripe being that they didn’t clean the room until the late afternoon on several occasions. I’m certain that a phone call would have fixed that if it was a major inconvenience.

Food: We ate at Spago and Ferraro’s and thought both were good, if slightly pricey. We also had drinks at the hotel bar and Spago, both of which were excellent. We were also on the bed & breakfast package, which I highly recommend. For what I recall being an extra $25 a night per couple, including tip, we both enjoyed the breakfast buffet. While the selections didn’t change much from day to day, there was plenty to pick from including a lot of fresh fruit, pastries, made-to-order eggs/omelets/pancakes and everything else you’d think to include with breakfast.

Amenities: The gym was a mix of outdoor (cardio equipment) and indoor (weights). The view was great and there was plenty of water & towels. Each piece of cardio equipment had a TV which comes in handy if you get bored of the view of the pool/ocean. The only problem with having the equipment outdoors is that it’s hot/humid in the afternoons. We both had nice massages at the spa, which had nice locker rooms available to guests at no charge. The steam room was great although the gym was lacking a sauna or whirlpool. (As an aside, we both went over to the Grand Wailea’s spa and were blown away with what I like to call their water park for adults. My massage wasn’t quite as good but their water treatments more than made up for it, and I’ve never seen anything else like it.) The game room is actually two rooms; one for video games and one with two pool tables and some other stuff along with a big screen TV. It looked great for both kids and adults.

Pools/Ocean: The pools were nice but nothing special. The ocean was great. My biggest complaint, which has been repeated on these reviews, is the competition for the chairs. They will tell you that they do not give towels until 7am, and that if you leave for 20 minutes you will lose your chair. What we found was that if you show up at 7am, you will find books, shoes, and whatever else (we saw a really long deflated float stretched across four chairs) on a lot of the cabanas and good pool chairs. You’ll also find people who have been up for a while sitting in the other chairs (which is the right thing to do). If you leave your stuff in the early morning without sticking around, they’re usually nice enough to put a towel on your chair, which kind of defeats the system of not holding chairs. While we did see some things removed, it usually didn’t happen until the other chairs were all taken, so if you want a good view, an umbrella, or a cabana, get there early or be forward enough to remove someone’s leftover book from the chair you want (we were always early because of the jet lag but I wouldn’t have felt bad doing this). Also, the chairs are very close together, but there’s not much they can do about that given the space constraints. If they were smart, they’d get rid of the garden in the middle of the U-shaped building and replace it with a ‘quiet’ pool, which would allow for a more spacious feel.

Service: This was the best part. With a rare exception or two, all of our service was excellent and very professional. The pool service was frequent and very cheerful; the valet guys looked slightly overworked but were always happy to help with directions, and everyone else along the way was great.

Clientele: Contrary to other reviews, every child that I saw was very well behaved, without exception. Some of the parents on the other hand were not. The pool area had some flavors of an “L.A. scene” which I didn’t care for, but I found that if you avoided those with plastic surgery-enhanced chests, you could also avoid most of the rude people.

All & all a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I had been to this Four Seasons twice before, but not for the past five years. I was a little worried about some of the comments here about the rooms not being updated. That being said, we had a great time. The rooms were fine, although they could use updating and will in fact be getting a makeover in September. The hotel is getting ready to add an adult's only pool in January or so. The service at the pool area is unbeatable and standard for any Four Seasons. The only problem is that you have to be down at the pool by 6:30AM to get the location of your choice if you want shade. The cabannas are done on a first come first serve basis and there are probably about 50 of them. I wasn't happy with being far from the elevator when I had requested a room towards the front of the hotel and I thought the bed was too soft. They took care of both problems, upgrading my room to the ocean view at no charge and replacing the mattress. My family and I had an unbelivable time and the week went by too quickly.

• Liked — spacious bathrooms
  • Disliked — Thought bed was too soft
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room near the elevators
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

While on our honeymoon last week, my husband and I were rudely stopped by two men claiming to be Four Seasons hotel security after we took a couple of pictures of the ocean near the beach (similar to some of the scenic photos posted here). They demanded to see our "film". Shocked we were stopped from taking pictures of the beach and totally intimidated (they were bigger and threatening looking), we quickly showed them on our digital cameras that we are just taking snapshots of the beautiful Maui, nothing else. They did not apologize, told us to leave (we were going to have lunch!) and continued to follow and harrass us until we drove away! It was horrible! It ruined a perfect day.

As a disclaimer, our experience with the Four Seasons was limited to that one morning, when we decided to check out their restaurant by the beach. However, that was no excuse for rude and unprofessional behavior from Four Seasons personnel. What a shame. I know where I WON'T be staying or dining at the next time I'm in Maui!

Stayed July 2006
Bethesda Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

My wife and I just returned to the Four Seasons five years after we spent our honeymoon there. This hotel is about as good as it gets. It is every bit as luxurious as it was five years ago and offers the same privacy, picturesque views, tasteful decor and engagement with the water that couples on a romantic retreat crave.

That all the rooms have ocean views and that the marble bathroom is as big as a N.Y.C living room complete with a wall length vanity mirror, shelf and seat are extremely appealing. The common areas (restaurants, lobby, galleries) of the hotel are all open air, but not guerrishly so -- also very attractive. But, it is the service that really sets this Four Seasons apart from the other luxury hotels. Ask for a restaurant reservation? It's made promptly and then directions are slipped under your door in an addressed and sealed envelope. Call down for your car? It's there before you can walk down to the driveway. Leave your breakfast table to get more food? A waiter covers your plate to keep the flies away. They know what you need before you ask. The service is almost sublime.

We came with an infant. I can't imagine a better hotel for families with young children. They gave us a special fridge for keeping the baby's milk cool; a microwave for sterilizing bottles; a diaper dispenser; a crib with bumper and stuffed animals; a baby's tub and a plastic hippo mouth over the tub faucet to keep the baby entertained while bathing. They baby-proofed the room from head to toe!! The room was safer than our house. And the bumpers matched the room so well that we could barely tell they were there.

Oh, and every day they leave a door tag that says "Baby asleep, come back ______."

Stroller, sun shades and other accessories for travel with a baby are provided on request.

I agree with the other posters about the hoardes of children that take up residence here in the summer. They take over the main pool in the afternoon, leaping off of rocks and swimming into people like drunk sea otters. But, except in the main pool itself, they aren't a bother at all. They don't intrude on the cabanas or swarm through the restaurants. The upper pool, in fact, is typically empty. And there's a hot tub that's exclusively for adults. Frankly, the most forceful human presence is the 40+ crowd -- bronzed, lotioned and on display, sometimes frighteningly so.

The spa needs to improve a bit -- facilities are nice but the massages are too much oil and too little massage. And the gym is a bit of a dungeon; they would do well to integrate it with the pools and ocean much as they have done with the stationary bikes. Other than that, the Four Seasons is almost flawless.

• Liked — Service and Family Friendly
  • Disliked — Spa and Weight Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Be sure to check out the side (upper) pool -- it's often quieter than the main pool
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!