“Excellent!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Los Angeles
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed at this hotel from September 8 through September 14, 2009. Everything about the hotel is outstanding. Snorkeling in front of the hotel rivaled our trip to Molokini. The new serenity pool is magnificent, although we chose to sit in the cabanas on most of our days. Don’t miss the free outrigger canoe rides.

What surprised me most about the hotel was dinner at Spago, (which is located in the hotel) I’ve read many negative reviews on TripAdvisor about this restaurant, and I was pleasantly surprised with the excellent service and really excellent food we received. It was the best dinner we had on Maui; and it was right in the hotel! The manager even accommodated our request for a nice view by giving us the best table in the restaurant. And here’s a tip for you… We happened to be in Costco on Maui to buy a camera, and we noticed they sell Spago gift cards. At the time of writing, you could get $100 in gift cards for $80; so I bought $200 in gift cards for $160. (our dinner with drinks and two desserts was a little over $200) On our last night, we had dinner at Duo which is in the Four Seasons also. We found the service to be slow, and the food OK but not great. I would recommend spending a little more money going to Spago twice. And of course, if it’s your first time on Maui, don’t miss Mama’s Fish House!

One irritating thing... $14 per day for internet service??? Come on Four Seasons... join the modern world and make it free to guests! :( Also be aware that there's no free parking. It was $20 per day, but the valets are very responsive and very, very nice. I found that to be almost worth it.

Thanks to the staff at the Four Seasons for a GREAT vacation!! We'll be back early in 2010!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

2,850 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Korean first
Essex County, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea as part of the second of three islands (the first being Oahu and the last being Kauai). This hotel selection was the one I did the most research on and TripAdvisor really helped me. In the end, it came down to service and the Four Seasons really delivered.

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary so I really wanted this trip and each hotel to be special. The Four Seasons attention to detail was fantastic. Everyone seemed to know about our anniversary. We received so much wine and champagne we knew we couldn't drink it all and began to worry about airline weight issues! A good problem to have.

First, we were double upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean View. The room size was very nice and the bathroom huge. The hotel itself is shaped as a "U" so the view out the lanai consists of an ocean view as well as a view of the pool and gardens. Very nice. When we arrived we were welcomed to a lei greeting and personal escort to our room. Once again, the luggage arrived before we did (always a nice touch). I had planned to take this vacation/anniversary during the first week in September to cut down on the crowds. It did. While we weren't alone we didn't have to contend with any crush in terms of getting dinner reservations or pool lounges. As I mentioned we were escorted to our room which was typically Four Seasons spacious. The bathroom was fantastic. L'Occitane products everywhere. Shower was wonderful. We had activities planned for most of the 5 days we were on Maui and the concierge and staff could not have been better. They helped with my initial planning before I left home and then stayed engaged throughout the process even though I had made the activity reservations myself. We had a sunrise/bike tour set for 3am and the staff still made sure we had water, blankets and coffee even at that ungodly hour. All amenities are included when you stay at the Four Seasons (no separate resort fee) so the cabanas we used didn't cost us anything. Unlike another reviewer, I didn't see anything approaching any issues as to pool space. We went to the pool early, mid and even late afternoons and were pretty much able to get anything we wanted pool side. The pool staff is fantastic. They escort you to the pool chairs you'd like and slip on a nice pool chair cover in addition to towels, water, etc. I had read horror stories about other nearby Wailea hotels that made you get up at 6am just to get a pool chair (forget about location). I am happy to report that was not the case at the Four Seasons. Once again, the service was/is fantastic. Very easy to get spoiled. The pool staff was very attentive to our needs. We never had a problem getting food or drink. The free food they dispense was also very welcome on the warm/hot days we had. We stayed by the main pool and didn't see a need to visit the "adults only" pool. There just weren't that many kids during our stay. They also have a family and adults-only hot tub, which we did use, on opposite sides of the pool. Everything is very easy in this hotel. Just adds to your relaxation when you don't need to worry or get upset over anything.

Our breakfasts were equally fantastic at Duos. What a buffet! As our breakfasts were comped I can't speak to the price/value. Personally I just don't eat enough to justify the charges most hotels make for their breakfast buffets. I can say there was huge food selection and we always got a wonderful table and received great service. I'll review Duos and Ferraro's were we ate dinner separately. However, both restaurants were great. Pricey but great.

I used the valet service to park the car and the service again was fantastic. I had rented a Jeep for the "Road to Hana" trip and the valet staff made sure we had plenty of water and also helped me with the windows and roof of the car in terms of opening it up as a convertible or closing it up. The hotel itself is quite lovely. Very spacious. The gardens were very nice.

I was able to make an appointment for a massage at the Spa in short order at the time I wanted. The Spa area itself is quite nice and very similar to other spas I've frequented. The massage I received was very relaxing and my only regret was that I didn't have more than one!

As I've mentioned, the Four Seasons has a lot of very nice amenities one of which is a complementary scuba lesson. The lesson was great. The introduction is in the pool area and consisted of a free private lesson. The lesson went so well I took my first ocean dive! Just a fantastic experience.

I would recommend this hotel without any qualifications. I really debated between a few of the other Wailea hotels but in the end you just can't beat the service. Kudos to the reviewers at TripAdvisor who were right on with this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I travel often, and my boyfriend and I try to make 5-star hotels work as often as we can. This resort tops our list of all resorts & hotels we've been to together, period.

Here are the areas where I'd rate it the highest possible score:

1. Quality of service:
Every single person we encountered gave us the highest level of attention and service. I never had an empty drink, whether at one of the excellent restaurants or at the pool. Every staff member we came into contact with asked often if there was anything else they could do for us. There were many surprises along the way (a crumb cake delivered to our room 20 minutes after check-in, fresh ice delivered without request every single day during cocktail hour, a huge dessert plate delivered on our check-out day, a hand written thank you note from the restaurants the day after dining...). We also had a spa treatment and were greeted by enthusiastic, super-friendly masseuses.

2. Cleanliness and beauty of the property
Inside and out, the perfection of the grounds is common at most Four Seasons (or all of them), but in this case, the natural beauty of the Hawaiian west coast, its sunsets and palm trees and over-the-top amazing climate are all accentuated by the perfectly manicured landscaping, impeccably clean rooms and general areas. Large, open spaces. Everything in the design of the place was well-thought-out and has a purpose. The interior layout of the lobby spaces is all open to the coast so that you can see the ocean from almost every area.

3. Excellence in cuisine and menus
They have the classic Wolfgang Puck restaurant, Spago, on the grounds - a sister to the LA hot-spot. The food here was so good, we had to go back a second time (which is something we rarely do when in a new place). Try the tomato soup. It's amazing!
We also dined at Ferraro's, an Italian spot that's all out-doors just over the ocean with an excellent view of the sunset from every table. The penne arrabiata and excellent wine list both stand out here. We had room service often, and it was excellent. They consistently aimed to give us the best table possible just because we asked for it. We often had 2 - 3 different servers or runners coming to our table often. The pool menu is pretty extensive on both meals and tropical drinks, and the service there was consistently great as well.

The beach was very private since it was at the end of the beach before a lot of rocks, which kept people from other resorts from causing too much foot traffic as you enjoy the view. We could hear a fair amount of commotion down at the Grand Wailea due to its large percentage of families/kids, whereas the Four Seasons was much more of a couples resort by nature. Quiet, serene and professional.

Above and beyond everything, you will notice at the Four Seasons the beauty and grandness of the property and the way it calls your eyes to the view of the other side of Maui across the water, the waves, the clouds, the neighboring island Lana'i, the sun....everything that is beautiful about Maui. We did a lot off the property to experience the island, but we often felt we could have spent 24 hours a day at the resort and still felt like we really had a relaxing vacation and truly experienced Maui.

We will definitely be back to this property, and soon!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My new husband and I decided to pamper ourselves the last two days of our honeymoon by staying at the Four Seasons. While it was a perfectly nice resort and had the typical amenities you'd expect at a Four Seasons (personal attention at check-in, turn-down service, comfortable amenities), we weren't particulary impressed in comparison to the more culturally authentic, cozier, and less expensive options we had chosen throughout the rest of our wedding/honeymoon. Reasons we'd be reticent to return:
The 3 pools and beach location are lovely, but extremely crowded, even the "adults only" serenity pool. One shouldn't have to get up at 6am to rush down to the pool/beach and stake a claim on chairs. There really should be at least one more pool (I know the serenity pool was just added, but they need another one).
The spa is too small for a resort of this magnitude. Walking into the changing rooms is like an airport at rush hour, which defeats the whole point of "relaxation". Too many ladies jostling for space to preen. And the steam room is alarming loud and the constant entrance/exit of people empties the steam and hampers the effect.
Maui has such a rich and unique cultural heritage and unfortunately the Four Seasons doesn't do much to capitalize on this asset. While there are some great art pieces scattered among the premises, the rest of the resort looks like every other Four Seasons: same white sheets, same marble bathrooms, same robes (though they at least have Yukata, probably to appease their Japanese clientele). Make sure to keep your window curtains open at all times to remember where you are.
We stayed on the Club Floor and while it was nice to talk with the staff during snack times, we didn't see any other benefit of being up there. The view would have been nice anywhere on the property (it's Wailea, the whole area is gorgeous) and being on the Club Floor didn't give you any sort of advanced access to the restaurants or other amenities on the property. Would not recommend the Club Floor and the cost associated with it.
There are many great hotels on Maui, especially if you are fortunate enough to afford a more upscale getaway. The Four Seasons Resort at Wailea is certainly a nice place, but I think we'll choose something different when we return for our anniversary.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

This is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in, and we have stayed in many! The attention to detail was magnificent, from the orchid placed in a floating coconut in a fountain, the quietly left gifts for our four children and ourselves. Large spacious rooms with equisite views of the sea, mountains and 'Palace of Versailles' style gardens. A discreetly placed hammock, here and there. This is just a fraction of the beauty of this gem, The Four Seasons, Maui. The online photos do not do this place justice. Am frightened to write too much more in case this piece of paradise becomes like the rest of the world! I asked my fun loving 16 year old son if it was maybe a little quiet and would he like to meet some other teenagers. His reply was, 'maybe when I ger bored'!' He never was! Nor were the other teenagers at the resort. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. Don't bother with any other place on Maui - this really is value for money!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea for the last part of our honeymoon and we absolutely loved it! The service is outstanding and by far the best we had during our stay (we also stayed in Kauai). The rooms are large, very clean (with fresh orchids around the room) and have all the extras you would expect from this level of hotel. The poolside service is excellent (strawberry jello with mint, fresh pineapple, watermelon and more!). I also loved the big bottles of sun screen (with different SPF) we could help ourselves to and the free use of cabanas. The restaurants at the hotel are yummy so you don't even have to leave (if you're feeling lazy). The extras at the Four Seasons are well worth staying here. We look forward to going back to the hotel very soon!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

My husband and I wish we were still at the Four Seasons! From the moment we pulled up and were given leis and blossom tea and had our pictures taken from our ocean front view by the bellman (he offered), we knew we were in a fantastic place! The Four Seasons is out to please! The grounds are stunning and very well-kept. Our room was large and immaculate (except for one night when the turn-down service was not very good). We took advantage of the hotel grounds - got amazing oceanside massages (Peter was a fantastic masseuse), enjoyed the best poolside food we ever had, absolutely loved dinner at Ferraro's, enjoyed a yoga on the beach class, and had a great time in the outrigger canoe (the canoeing is free, but seemed to book up very fast - may want to make reservations for this before you travel). We did some exploring of Maui and the hotel was very helpful in planning - you can even order picnic baskets through the hotel which was delicious and perfect for our drive to Hana. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone willing/able to pay for such a fantastic trip!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!