“There's absolutely no comparison to the Four Seasons Maui” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bay Area
“There's absolutely no comparison to the Four Seasons Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

First of all, let me apologize for this extremely tardy review. I just found this wonderful website a month or two ago. Now on to the review itself. My husband and I had our wedding, reception and honeymoon here two years ago and I cannot rave enough about the resort. Yes, it's on the pricey end but the quality and intimacy is unrivaled on the island of Maui. My husand, who's probably the pickiest most stubborn man to ever walk the Earth, LOVED this hotel and raved about the impeccable service. He said "you definitely get what you pay for... and then some..." It's one of those places that I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience at least once in their lifetime. So far, I'm campaigining for a repeat on our 10th anniversary.

• Stayed August 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2005

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Everything was excellent and worth the expense, would return again.

• Stayed July 2004
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

I stayed here for 10 days in July. It is a beautiful hotel, and the rooms are quite large. the beds are huge, and probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in ... in fact, the Four Seasons hotel is well known for people ordering their beds and bedsheets etc once they get home!

Some of the rooms on each floor are quite a walk away from the elevator, but isn't that the same everywhere? There is a large pool with two jacuzzis, one on either side of the pool. This pool is not heated, but it warms up pretty quickly. There is a kids pool that is seperate, and it is wonderful, with a waterfall, a really tiny baby pool and is seperate from the main pool.

The breakfast buffet is expensive ($22) but you can get a 'to go' box, so we put some fruit and muffins for later in the morning, and we were able to see us through to a late lunch. The buffet is wonderful though!

The best thing is that in every restaurant there is a kid's menu, and it is between $5-$7 a meal, and there is everything on it your kid would love!

The beach is beautiful, and you can swim in it morning, noon and night.

The staff are amazing, there is nothing they will not do for you, they are so fantastic; the beach staff are great .... a guy lost his wedding ring whilst snorkelling, and the hotel brought in a diver with a metal detector, and he found it! That is what I call service!

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

I often stay at Four Season Resorts, last July I was on The Big Island at their resort at Hulalalai (may have added too many vowels there) that is a fabulous resort I much preferred that over the Maui location. When I checked in with my wife got off the elevator and started walking to our room, now this is a 4 Star resort, it shouldn't take us seven minutes to walk down a monotonous hallway to reach our room. The folks are nice that work there and the food is good but too big, if I wanted mamoth I'd stay at The Grand Hyatt, a gargantuan joint that requires a packed lunch to travel from the beach to your room. There are worse places then the 4 Season in Maui but there are better.

• Stayed March 2000
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

The Wailea Four Seasons Resort is not worth the money.
It is in deperate need of a remodel. We stayed there once in February 2005 and went back again in March 2005, assuming it was just our room in particular that they had not gotten around to remodeling.
It wasn't.
There were stains on the carpet, the furniture was mismatched and had endured a multitude of visitors.
The bedding is lovely and it is still a Four Seasons with all the wonderful bath accoutrements that go with, but I would not recommend it until it is freshened and redone.
It is too dated and feels too "used" at that price range.

• Stayed March 2005
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

I have just returned from a weeklong stay at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, and I certainly agree with this month's issue (August 2005) of "Travel and Leisure" magazine that this hotel has been ranked as the #1 hotel on Maui in its 2005 World's Best Hotels list. Indeed, the Four Seasons inhabits its own separate world.

This was my second trip to Maui. Last year I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua. I thought I would never find a better resort. Well, lucky me...I did! This is, without a doubt, the classiest resort of the island. When you walk in, you can actually feel the jet-lag dripping off your limbs.

The Four Seasons Maui has done everything right! They have anticipated the smallest details. The grounds are immaculate...dead leaves do not have a chance. And the grass is greener than the grass in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

One day, we enjoyed lounging the day away in the casbah-like tents and really enjoyed the Evian water spritzes and chilled towels. When we were ready for lunch, a delicious lobster sandwich was delivered to our cabana. Oh, yes, we have arrived! Another spritz, please? Some more water? And could you bring back some more of those yummy pineapple slices when you get a chance. Josh, our poolside server, gushed with friendliness and seemed genuinely eager to please us. And all of this at no additional charge! (Other resorts charge $50 or more per day for cabanas.)

Our ocean view room was very large (about 650 square feet including the lanai). And the butterscotch bathroom was fit for a king! Lots of marble, a soaking tub, separate shower, double vanity...ahhh...Calgon take me away!

Housekeeping would make an operating room nurse proud. Dirt is simply not tolerated! If the housekeepers do not come at the time you like, simply give them a call and they will gladly accomodate you.

Wailea beach, in my opinion, is one of the best on the island. It's an absolute dream! We enjoyed a morning snorkel expedition each morning of our stay (it gets windy most afternoons, and the choppy water reduces visibility). Oh, did I mention that you get the snorkel equipment for free for an hour each day?

Let me summarize by saying that if money is no object, then this is the place to stay. The $650 per night rate may sound high for a regular ocean-view hotel room, but I hope I have explained why this is not just any hotel. It's the number one resort on Maui! And they do not nickel and dime you to death! Believe me...it's worth every penny. Can you really put a price on enjoying a Mai Tai from your lanai while watching the golden sun set over the Pacific? (Well, actually yes. Twelve dollars for the drink; the sunset is free, though.)

My partner and I enjoyed every single minute of our stay at this modern version of a Hawaiian palace by the sea. I'm sorry one of the other gay reviewers of this hotel did not feel comfortable. We certainly did! We even met other gay couples in the restaurants and by the pool. Hawaii is a very laid-back gay-friendly place, and all people, regardless of skin color or sexual orientation, are treated equally...as long as your Platinum Visa is not maxed out!

We really enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons. And if you are like us, you will weep when you have to leave.

• Stayed August 2005
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

***Winner: TripAdvisor's Best Review with Photos Contest, week of July 28th, 2005***

We just returned from a weeks long stay at the Four Seasons Wailea in Maui, July 23-30th. We highly recommend this resort to anyone,and can't imagine staying anywhere else in Maui from this point on. We were a group of 4 adults and 2 toddlers, ages 2 1/2 and 3 1/2.

THE ROOMS: We stayed in partial ocean view adjoining rooms on the 4th floor (435 & 436), which happened to be the bottom floor of the wing we were staying in. Because we were on the bottom floor we had an exceptionally large patio off of the backs of our rooms that had 2 chaise lounges and a table and 2 chairs. These patios are much larger than those on all of the rooms above. The kids really enjoyed the exta outdoor space, we even ate some of our meals there . Because we were traveling with toddlers we arrived to find the furniture fitted with bumpers, a hippo cover on the bath spout, the children's names spelled out in colorful bath sponges, a really cute toddler bed for my daughter, a crib and a crate with all of the essentials (diapers, swim diapers, powder, lotion, & baby wash) needed for my son. There were also 2 Four Seasons logo stuffed owls on the bed with crayons and coloring books, and several rubber duckies and fresh baked cookies, milk and candy waiting on the coffee table for the kids to enjoy when we arrived. They didn't forget about the adults either, there was a nice selection of cookies on the dining table for us too! We really had a nice view from the room, palm trees, the blue sky and the ocean. The rooms are around 600 sq feet, inside you'll find a king bed with a nightstand at each side one with a cd player/radio/alarmclock, large armoire with television and DVD player, sofa with pull out sleeper, coffee table, dining table and 2 charis. There is a small area with fully stocked mini bar, fresh coffe beans and grinder, coffee pot, and all of the bar essentials. We asked that the mini bar be emptied for our stay(this was actually suggested to us by the reservations agent after we booked), that way we were able to keep juice and water on hand for the kids, there isn't a store on site that sells beverages, it's room service or the closest store at the Shops at Wailea, with kids the 30 minute wait for room service doesn't always work! The closet is huge and contains several hangers, a safe, and an iron & ironing board (starch is also in there!). The bathroom is very large, it has double sinks, a seperate tub and shower and a seperate commode area with a frosted glass door. The air conditioning cooled the room perfectly, it automatically shuts off when you open your sliding doors.

THE POOLS & BEACH: There are 2 pool areas at the Four Seasons, the Fountain Pool - i'd say this is more of the adult area although we did see a few children there most days. This is a large rectangular pool with jaccuzis on each end and a large fountain in the center. The second pool is the Waterfall pool - this is also called the "children's pool". This is where you'll find most of the children and their parents. This is actually 2 pools connected by a small waterslide and rock waterfall. There is a shallow area for toddlers with buckets and watering cans to play with. The remainder of the pool is around 3 1/2 feet deep. The pool above with the large waterfall is from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet deep. We were at the pool varying times each day and we were always able to get a poolside cabana. The beach is beautiful and clean! The sand does get extremely hot so keep the shoes on the kids! We were able to get umbrellas at the beach if we made it there by 11am, after that they were usually taken. We just hit the beach early each day to ensure we'd have shade for the kids. The attendants at the pool and beach were extremely helpful and friendly. They passed out iced water constantly and fresh pineapple and strawberries on occasion. My daughter's favorite thing was the Otter Pops they handed out at the kids pool, she looked forward to that daily!

FOOD: We ate at Spago for my brother in law's birthday on Sunday night. Entrees are in the $30+ range, apptizers $12+, drinks $9+ desserts $15. I can honestly say this was the worst meal we had the entire week. The menu is very limited, we were told that it changes daily, guess we picked a bad day. My fish(Onaga ?) was dry and the sauce was supposed to be a spicy thai, but tasted like barbacue sauce. We also tried the Mahi Mahi, which was just OK. I will say that the crab cake was fantastic, but tiny. We all tried the Pinapple Upside Down Cake for dessert and wished we hadn't, the sauce tasted burnt, and the cake was overly soaked in some liquer that tasted awful! I really can't recommend this restaurant, I wouldn't go back. There are too many other great places to eat in maui (Humuhumu - FANTASTIC!, Nick's Fishmarket - Really good too!, Mama's - Perfect). We tried Pacific Grill on our last night in Maui and the food was very good. Prices here are comparable to Spago (actually everywhere we went prices were in that range). We tried several of the appetizers, fish dishes and the filet & lobster too, everything was tasty. We didn't order dessert because I surprised my husband with a birthday cake (the pastry dept. at the 4Seasons will make whatever you'd like, just call and order in advance) it was excellent as well! Our waitress brought it to the table with the candles lit as the evening's entertainment sang "Happy Birthday"! It's was really nice! We had room service several times, the food is expensive but really high quality, it's worth it when traveling with kids! The room service menu is available 24 hours a day (due to the time difference between Maui & LA my son was eating pancakes at 3am the first morning!) and includes an excellent children's menu with lots of choices. Children's meals are $5-$8, very reasonable! Adult entrees $17-$40. 18% gratuity and $4 delivery charge is added to your bill. There is a nice cemented beach walk that stretches between the Kea Lani, 4 Seasons, and Grand Wailea, take the 15 minute walk over to either of the other resorts for some really great food - Humuhumu (Best meal we had), Nick's Fish Market (Best service, great food), Cafe Ciao, etc. You may get a little wind blown so if you're worried about your hair, take the car! We made reservations for our meals for 6pm and always saw the sunset as we were eating our dessert! We also tried Tommy Bahama's and Cheeseburger's and Mai Tais in the Shops at Wailea, Tommy Bahama's was excellent, great entertainment at night too! The cheeseburger's at Cheeseburger's and Mai Tais were just ok, I probably wouldn't go back for lunch, but we tried their breakfast and it was excellent!We also stopped at Mama's Fish House for lunch on our first day, the food was just OK, way overpriced for lunch, but the views were spectacular as were the drinks! Service was excellent too.

KIDS CLUB & BABYSITTING: For those of you thinking of coming to the resort with kids, this is the place for you! Kids club is available 7 days a week from 9am - 5pm, children over 5yo can attend alone, under 5 must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult, the kids club is complimentary to all guests. You can get a schedule of the weeks activities when you check in, they do crafts, make snow cones, learn the hula, make leis, play frisbee, build volcanos on the beach, etc. They will keep your kids entertained all day long. I took my kids on 3 seperate occasions for a few different activities, the staff is excellent! They really interact well with the kids making sure that no one is left out, they are kind and caring. They also do evening kids parties which include dinner the cost is $65 for those who'd like to have a nice adult dinner in the evening. The kids can stay all day or just drop in for specific activities, it's all up to you. The Four Seasons also offers babysitting service through the Nanny Connection. The cost is $14 per hour for the first child and $2 and hour for each additional child. There is a 3 hour minimum. We used the Nanny service on 3 night from 5p-9pm so that we could celebrate the husband's birthday's. I was very impressed with the service, my kids loved Nanny Kathryn! It was nice to dine in the evening without tired children beside you, it was even nicer to come back to the room and find the children asleep in their beds in their Pjs! I highly recommend the Kids For All Seasons kids club and the Nanny Connection for babysitting services, these service helped each member of our family truly enjoy our vacation! The resort also offers strollers, highchairs, and other items for use during your stay, use of most of these items is complimentary, although we were told that if we would like to keep the stroller for our entire stay they would refer us to a company that rented out children's items, so check on availabilty and charges before you arrive. We borrowed a double stroller for a long walk one day and it was very nice! There are also children's DVDs that can be borrowed from the concierge, beach toys are available at the beach and at the kids pool, and there is a game room with video games, pool tables, and TV for the whole family to enjoy together.

BOTTOM LINE: Once you stay here you're spolied for life! You'll be planning your next trip back before you're back home, I guarantee it! The staff is amazing, the resort grounds are absolutely beautiful, the pool, the beach, everything is perfect! We checked out the Kea Lani and the Grand Wailea while we were there too. The Kea Lani was so noisy and over crowded, lots of kids running everywhere, worse than the Grand Wailea. The Grand Wailea, had a beautiful lobby, and Humuhumu was great but it was overcrowded and the rooms that we saw were small. There is still construction going on right next to the Grand also, it doesn't look like it will be finished anytime soon! They were jack-hammering at 8am while we we're enjoying our pancakes!

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!