“AMAZING, AWESOME, the BEST!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Livermore, Ca.
“AMAZING, AWESOME, the BEST!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The Four Seasons met all of our expectations, and then some. From the time we checked in and were upgraded to a partial ocean view without having to ask, to enjoying the new adult only pool. The only small problem we had was on our first full day there after hanging out at the pool until 2pm, we came back to our room and they were just getting ready to clean it, a bit annoying. We hung out on our lanai while they cleaned the room. We called the front desk, and asked that our room be cleaned between 9-10am every morning, and turn down service between 8-9pm every night. We never had a problem after that. Back to the great stuff. Breakfast or dinner at Duo's was great, wonderful outside patio area, delicious food, pricey, but you are at the Four Seasons. We had dinner a few times at Ferraro's, we highly reccomend it. The food and service were always great, and you MUST have their Tiramisu, delightful, yummy. We even rented one of the cabanas at the Adult pool, ($300), and it was well worth it. Try to get one of the two in the back, better sun all day long. You were never longing for service whatever pool you were at. They fixed up a couple of lounge chairs for us, provided us with ice cold water through out the day, popsicles or outterpops, and even cold jello. Towards the end of the day someone would come by with aloe vera for you to put on your skin. They also had sun screen lotion stations free of charge. And sometimes came by with an Evian spritz to help cool you down. The rooms were wonderful, just like everyone said. The staff was outstanding, and called by name once they got to know you. Take a walk or shuttle to the Wailea shopping center, go to ABC or the General store, and stock up on munchies or beer and soda for your room frig, while there, enjoy a wonderful breakfast at Longhi's, or lunch/dinner at Tommy Bahama's. and then take the nice walk back to the hotel cutting through the Grand Wailea hotel. Or if your too tired, call the Four Seasons and they will pick you up. They even gave us a ride to Matteo's for pizza one night. Great little casual place, order at the counter, sit down, and pizza is delivered. Loud and lively, great food. We also hitched a ride from the Four Seasons to the Wailea Golf course to play the Emerald course, I highly reccomend playing that course, and if you play early, stop in the cliubhouse for a great lunch. We also booked a tour on Blue Hawaiian helicopter, our first time. It was great, we went over west Maui and Molikai, our pilot even detoured us over the Ritz Carlton Bay golf course, because we were playing the course the next day. We spent the rest of that day cruising to Paia, if you want a casual day shopping, go there, nice little shops, great fish tacos at the Fish Market, we heard Charlie's is also great. If you want a fancy expensive lunch or dinner with a fantastic view go to Moma's House just past Paia. Want to try something different, take the road upcountry, and go to the winery, yes a winery in Maui, if you can bring a lunch, and enjoy the grounds, very peaceful, and relaxing, the air is much cooler, and refreshing up there. The wine is ok, the pineapple wine tastes like a cold fruit sweet drink. Thy also have regular wine they make. For sushi we wetn to Sansei in Kihei, an easy taxi ride there, the hotel can make reservations and give you directions. The concierge staff at the Four Seasons was wonderful, they booked our trips, had tickets, directions delivered to our room, whatever we asked for, they made it happen, and most of the time, they just billed it to our room. We are now officially spoiled and will find it very hard to go to another resort. We hope this review helps anyone wavering on where to stay. We also saw that they did some wonderful things for kids.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Korean first
KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We arrived at the resort 7/15 and stayed for six nights. The minute you walk into the open air lobby you are overwhelmed by the beauty, serinity, and luxuriousness of the resort. We brought our 5 yr old daughter on the trip who commented throughout our visit how beautiful the resort was. As other guests reported as we stepped out of our convertible flower leis and beads were presented by the manager. The staff at check-in produced a basket of toys and my daughter was told to select one. She was thrilled. Also milk and cookies were left in our room for her one night, as well as juice and chips with a book on another. She was also provided a minature terry cloth robe which looked just like mom and dad's. The hotel excells at making each child feel special. Although food is expensive hotel policy is kids 5 & under eat free. There is a kids menu provided. My daugther loved the food and declared her cheese burger was the best burger she had in her entire life.

The rooms are nicely appointed, spacious and clean. We were upgraded to a partial ocean view which was fabulous. We were able to see the ocean from our room without going out on the patio. The daily breakfast buffet is delicious and reminicent of a "Sunday Buffet" in terms of quantity and quality of selections . Be sure to order the pancakes they are light and fluffy. Beware of the large number of hummingbirds in the open air restaurants. If you leave food on the table be sure to get a protective dome covering for your plate. Otherwise you will return to your table and think you are in the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds". We were able to get brunch included in our package which represented a great value.

The new adult pool is open and very swanky. The cabanas go for $300 a day and if you can justify the splurge well worth the cost. Our daughter enjoyed the kiddie pool and the main pool as did we. The cabanas in these two areas are free. The pool staff is very solictious. Lunching at Ferraro's is a must as the view is breathtaking.

I had a massage at the spa which was nice. The spa itself is small without the slew of amenities found normally found at a resort of this caliber. Not a deal breaker simply an observation.

Entertainment is provided in the lobby restaurant/bar area each evening. Our daughter enjoyed this evening ritual which includes Hawaiian singing & dancing, as well as the lighting of the torches on the property.

We had a memorable vacation. What tickled me the most was the level of enjoyment experienced by our 5 yr old. As we prepared to leave on our last day she declared she wanted to stay and live at the resort...the funny thing is so did I. We will be returning soon.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I picked this hotel mostly based on the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, and they were right on the money. We pulled up to the front entrance after driving around Maui all day (8 hours in the car!) and did not get in the car again for 4 days! We just did not want to leave the hotel! We reserved a Garden view room and were upgraded to a Partial Ocean View room- the view was really just from the Lanai- I would not have wanted to pay the POV price. The room itself was really nice, with a huge bathroom. My strategy for the trip was "nicest hotel, worst room", and in the Four Seaons, the worst room is still really great! I am so glad we stayed here instead of the other hotels in Wailea- it really was just so luxurious, with tons of attention to detail.

Here's what I loved the most:
Beautiful pool and beach area, with the beach being so close to the pool, you didn't have to decide which one to swim in. The cabanas and chairs with umbrellas were "free", and while the prime ones get snatched up early in the AM, there were plenty of good seats to be had all day. And lots of people to come by to fill your water glass, offer fresh fruit, etc.

The restaurants, while expensive, were beautiful with amazing food. We had lunch at Ferraro's every day, and the view was perfect. We had dinner at Duo one night (The $49 price fixe is a good deal) and Spagos another night (we splurged for the 9 course tasting menu!)

The fitness center is outdoors- very cool!

The lobby bar has a great view for sunsets- just really relaxing. The whole place just has a great feel.

My only complaints:

If you want to eat at the hotel, you have to spend a lot of money- there was a snack bar at the beach, but it wasn't that great. There's a great walk along the beach that leads to the shops at Wailea, so you can pick up snacks there.

The main pool was nice, but the adult only serenity pool opened the day after we left....we checked it out and was awesome! Swim up bar, cool cabanas (I think they cost extra). We were sad to miss out!

Only complaint about the room is that all the bathroom lights are on one swich with no dimmers, so it's either super bright or totally dark.

All in all, it was the nicest hotel I've ever been to and I'd go back in a minute! I'm jealous of anyone who is thinking of going, and I would say to definitely pick it over the others!

san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I have been to several fourseasons hotels around the world and found this one a notch below just because of the size. I thought it was very nice and was glad we stayed here over anywhere else on the island we visited. However, I think maybe I would have rather gone to a smaller resort on another island. I was surprised how many kids were there. They did just open the adult pool which helped, and was very nice. I do agree with others that it seemed to get very crowed early at the pools and beaches. We would get to the pools and beach around 9am and most of the prime cabannas or chairs were taken. With so many people at the beaches and now the adult pool, it felt as though the staff was spread a little thin.
There were many positives. The rooms were very nice and the service was great. We only at Ferraro's on site which was good. Off site we had a light dinner at Tommy bahamas at Wailea shops which was surprisingly good. We ate at Mammas Fish House and Kiehe beach cafe for breakfast. We had a dinner at Murphys Pub which is at the Wailea Blue course which was a nicce change of pace. We also ate a lunch at the Pizza place accross from the Shops at Wailea.

One activity we liked was a hike at a stop along the Hanna Highway that was about 45 minutes from the hotel. It had several waterfalls and you could go and swim. There were a lot of tourist there, but worth it to find the hidden pools. The front desk has a map of how to get there.

In closing this is a big resort, almost 400 rooms. I have been to the FS in Costa Rica, Great Exuma, Jackson Hole, and Bali. These are more intimate resorts of around 150 rooms. I felt this was the best resort on the island(don't go to the Ritz-windy, isolated.) You will enjoy yourself. It was close to a lot of other places to go and see and eat. The weather in this location also was better than other parts of the island. If you want total quiet and easy chair finding, go to a smaller island FS.

franklin, tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

like most readers here on tripadvisor, i did my homework for our first trip to hawaii. after consulting various friends, family, coworkers - Maui was the place to go. When it came to picking the hotel, I searched the internet and read as many reviews as possible. FOUR SEASONS was the hotel we chose. We stayed at the Ritz-Carton, Cancun for our honeymoon(9 years ago) and were blown away there. We decided to try their competition in Maui and we weren't disappointed. Bottemline, you get what you pay for. We opted for a gardenview room and stayed for 7 nights. When we arrived, they upgraded us two levels to deluxe ocean view without even asking! the service here is unbelievable. Everyone says hello to you and treats you like a king! The housekeeping staff even stop in their tracks and say 'hello' to you whenever you pass them in the hallways. the only thing that wasn't complimentary was the parking(only valet, $20/day). beach umbrellas, cabanas are all first come first serve(and since it wasn't very busy there, we never had a problem getting one with a great view).
all in all, best place we've ever vacationed. a couple told us they had stayed at the four seasons hawaii(big island), and said it was even better. can't wait to try that out!

dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Wekeep coming back to this hotel not only because it is beautiful but because the service is top flight. This is our fifth time at the resort and our room was clean and beautiful and the grounds are still immaculate and the service, in a word, is amazing. Case in point, my fifteen year old son was playing a game of pool in the gameroom and after his game he turned to watch ESPN for about two minutes, pool cue still in hand. He was totally taken back by the fact that when he turned back to the pool table the staff had already reracked it for him! That made quite an impression on him and on us.
Service at the pool and beach are first rate and we have stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua where pool and beach service are lacking in a major way. Not only were we offered cool towels and Evian spritzes, we were constantly having our water glasses replenished, offered fresh baked mini muffins in the morning, ice pops, pineapples, watermelon, tropical jello and rice krispie treats through the day as we lounged poolside. I even had a staff offer to clean my sunglasses. I don't know about everyone but I know that going on vacation for me means to be totally pampered and that is how I feel at the Four Seasons Maui.
Yes, the restaurant prices are very pricey and aside from ordering some drinks and snacks poolside and a dinner at Ferraro's we did not eat at the resort. We left for most meals, most notably breakfast. I would have a complaint that the breakfast prices are just too much. We traveled with a teen girl and boy and the girl doesn't even eat breakfast and my husband and I are fine with something light but our teenage son is an eating machine and just for him to go get breakfast at the restaurant would have been $34 for him and they did not offer a teen menu at Duo though they did have a children's menu for under 12. So if I were to change anything it would be to make the breakfast food a bit more reasonable. Otherwise we drove to Stella Blues in Kihei.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

What can you say that hasn’t already been said 1000 times on here? This place is pure perfection. I can’t even think of a single complaint (and I have high standards!).

From the moment you walk in the door, you’re treated like the most important and special guest who has ever walked through the doors. The staff is not just accommodating; they go WELL out of their way to ensure you’re happy.

Every detail is taken care of here. From the spotless and meticulously maintained rooms, to the L’Occitane bath products, to the popsicles and Evian spritzes by the pool, to the excellent restaurants, and the lush and flawless landscaping… this place is what every other resort aspires to be.

Sure it’s not cheap, but for all the service and amenities, I don’t find it to be overpriced in the slightest. You won’t be nickel and dimed here, either, like some neighboring resorts. Free childcare, free snorkel equipment and kayaks, free cabanas, free aerobics and fitness classes… the list goes on.

We were fortunate enough to be staying at the resort when their new serenity pool opened (see attached pics). It is, in a word, AWESOME. Amazing views, swim-up bar, infinity edge pool, and adults-only peace and quiet. What a wonderful addition to the property.

There is a reason we return again and again to this resort. You can’t do better on Maui.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!