“Amazing Stay at the 4 seasons” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
seattle
“Amazing Stay at the 4 seasons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing stay at the 4 Seasons Wailea. We booked via Amex FHR, we had a great King Ocean view room. Large lanai, large room. The Amex booking includes a basic continental breakfast buffet that we upgraded for 10$ per day to the full buffet breakfast.
As one of the other reviewers pointed out there was one night that they had to do a required electrical upgrade, they warned us well in advance the electricity in the entire resort would be off for a few hours in the middle of the night, one of the other reviewers complained about this, but it doesn't seem like there was any alternative and it didn't really impact us much at all except for the one night when it was a bit warm but no real big deal.
The resort overall was amazing, very helpful staff at every turn. No problems getting a pool chair or beach chairs, the adult pool is on the small side with limited seating but hey, its a big resort, go to the beach! I can imagine that during peak times the pool areas can get quite crowded so if you flexible I would avoid those times, we went the week after thanksgiving and the crowds had cleared out so the place was not crowded. If you can't hit an off time you should definitely expect a crowd.
Most of the things I have seen people complain about in these reviews are often one time events or are small things that seemed to cause an inordinate amount of distress to the reviewer i.e. the princess and the pea. The other common complaint is about the cost, yep the hotel is expensive, yes that includes the room, the food, the spa... whatever, its not like you don't know that going in...not sure what people were expecting, Maui is expensive and this is the most expensive (or perhaps second most) place on the island.
However, if you are looking for a great resort vacation, relaxation, sun, and fun in Maui and you have a good sized budget for your trip, look no further.
Also you should check out Eskimo Candy in Kihei for Poke at some point, go early they run out, get a Poke bowl...you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Ocean view is like an ocean peak
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Maybe it was because I had heard such great things and had commensurately high expectations, and had found it hard to book over the years, that I was so hugely disappointed.
The underlying problem is the hotel is too big especially for the land it sits on. It was squeezed onto a site with too little beach frontage to accommodate a deluxe property; not that any 380 room industrially designed property can operated in a personal way.
In order to squeeze 380 rooms onto the site the greedy developers had to build rooms that mostly look across an open space at other rooms. If one peeks in the direction of the water one may glimpse it.
I booked this as an “ocean view” suite. For an airport Hilton that may be fine but this is the “Four Seasons Maui” the “World’s Best Resort” and I expected more. I certainly paid for it. And I flew 11 hours to enjoy it.
Being too big also negatively effects the operation of the resort. 750 or more guests are too many to enjoy the small but beautiful bratless pool. If one expects to arise at a leisurely hour, have a breakfast at the typically lush buffet and go to the pool without screaming, splashing kids, one will be shocked. No reserved seating. Not enough pool lounges and they are on a first come basis. Other guests actually awake at 7 am to claim their lounge. I never would do so, never get one before late in the day.
Needing to adjust my schedule to the hotels is not something I come to a Four Seasons for.
The beach was not quiet retreat either. Aside from being not big, it is shared with the nearby Fairmont and anyone who walks from other resorts.
The size also means that the hotel will be marketed for bigger weddings, which are a nightmare for regular guests. A horde of loud drunken over-privileged 20 something’s partying to all hours is the reason I stopped going to Round Hill. Here, when I was in residence they were omnipresent.
Aside from knowing I was in too big a place, I also did not know where I was. Was this Florida? Mexico? California? The property was totally devoid any Hawaiian ambiance. No place on the property was there anything unique or special that made me feel that it was worth spending the 11 long hours on the plane to come here as opposed to spending only 3hrs to enjoy the smaller, more personal Four Seasons in Palm Beach.
My advice to readers who are considering Four Seasons Maui; don’t waste your time or your money. This property is not worth it.
My conclusion is if you want a real Four Seasons experience go elsewhere. If you want Four Seasons in Hawaii go to the smaller more personal Hualalai or quieter Lanai (which hopefully the new owner will refurbish). Or if you want a more human size place with genuine ambiance go to St Barth’s.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of the property, especially with regards to our pool service and facilities. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me at konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I got married in Kihei and stayed at this hotel for 12 days. Hands down it was one of the best experiences of our lives! The staff at the hotel was amazing, restaurants and food was one of the best and the hotel grounds were beautiful! It is a bit pricey but def well worth it! The views were breath taking and there was so much to do! They have an awesome adult pool with swim up bar which we spent a lot of time at :) The different restaurants at the resort were all very good-our favorite was Spago! If you're in Maui stay here and if you don't def go see it and maybe have a meal there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FireIsland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were staying at another resort and decided to go to this resort for lunch and that is all it took. We looked at each other, both thinking the same thing - we immediately went to the front desk and made reservations for the balance of our trip. Packed up from original hotel and never looked back. The property and location, the resort itself is beautiful and what we travelled from NY for. Most important was the food and staff. Food was excellent - fresh, more than enough choices and prepared as requested. Staff were professional - helpful with smiles. I had the feeling they liked what they were doing and happy to be part of this resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was our second time to Maui and the Wailea area. On our first visit we stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani, which is right next door on the same beach. We are loyal Fairmont customers, and this was our introduction to the FS brand. It was difficult not to make constant comparisons between the two on our visit, as they offer similar levels of service, comfort and ambiance.

If you've read even a few of the reviews about the FS at Wailea then you know all about the adult serenity pool (gorgeous), the poolside fruit-sicles (nice touch), Evian spritzers (wow) and great restaurants. I will spare my opinions on these, and instead focus on a bit of a comparison
between the Fairmont and The Four Seasons hotels in Wailea. The reason for this is that there is a price premium at the FS but I am not *entirely* convinced that this premium is necessarily worth the value over the Fairmont... I suppose this depends on what you look for in a hotel resort. You can read my review of the Kea Lani also, which is structured a little differently.

SERVICE
Service at the Four Seasons is among the best hotels I have ever visited. Always courteous, friendly and accommodating. The staff seem to anticipate your wishes, and are extremely gracious. The people here genuinely seem to love their jobs. From the bellman who showed us the features of the room, to the valet service & the pool attendants, this was consistently top-notch. Fairmont service was also excellent, but FS takes the edge in this department - but only slightly.

ROOM
We were lucky to have been upgraded to "Club Level" room. The Club Level offers exclusive service on the fourth floor including complimentary breakfast (this was already included in our package but was nice nonetheless), tea and snacks, pre-dinner appetizers and soft or alcoholic drinks at any time. There was also a small courtesy library, business centre, and the Club had balconies that overlooked the gardens with a partial view of the Ocean. We made good use of this service, and figure we saved at least a a few hundred dollars in wine/champagne charges (anywhere from $14- $25 bucks a pop anywhere else on property). We felt even more fortunate for this upgrade because the room, while lovely, was...kind of dated. The bathroom was huge but the finishes were showing wear. This was fine, but I had the same complaint at the Fairmont (dated rooms) except they are an all-suite hotel, with similar sized bathrooms, so the room at the Fairmont offered more space.
EDGE = Fairmont Kea Lani
The Club level was excellent but we were comped this feature and I don't know that we would have paid for it otherwise

POOL
O.K. FS has this one. Although the large family pool with the fountain was a little "show-boaty" for my tastes, the adult infinity serenity pool more than made up for this with its beauty and - well, serenity! I have read people complain that this is a "see and be seen" pool, but this didn't really faze us. We came here to relax in paradise with each other, not to scope out other people or spend time worrying about how others thought we looked.

OCEAN ACCESS and BEACH were identical

GROUNDS were each beautiful in their own ways. The Fairmont made a better first impression, but ultimately they are absolutely comparable. The FS has a showpiece pool. Both hotels are impeccably manicured.

RESTAURANTS
We ate at Ferraros' Italian restaurant, and we had a great oceanside table for sunset. The service at this restaurant is world class, and my husband was impressed with the wine list - great wines, many at reasonable prices. I had a very lovely salad to start and a bucontini (sp) as a main. The food was excellent, five stars for sure, however the menu wasn't exactly filled with inspiration. There is a lot of good Italian food in Toronto, though, so maybe I am just biased.

We ate at Duo's every morning for breakfast, and I found their breakfast selection to be comparable to the selection at the Fairmont Kea Lani, only our breakfast plan at the Kea Lani covered our entire first meal (gratuities also). At the FS, the "included" breakfast was a $60 credit per day which covered the continental breakfast, but not the full selection of items. We spent about $25-30 extra each day to cover the full selection we wanted, as it often meant we didn't feel hungry enough to eat lunch, so we just snacked until dinner. I think I'll call this one a tie. We didn't eat at Spago's.

GYM
FS takes this one. The gym at the Kea Lani is somewhat small. It is equipped with good equipment, like the FS, but the cardio machines face the wall whereas at the FS they face a lush garden and are outdoors-ish. There is a separate weight room, which I made use of and it was mostly empty.

I used the spa here, but not at the Fairmont - 4/5.

I wish this rating system had half-points, because I really want to give the FS Maui 4.5 stars instead of 5, if only because you can get *almost* the exact same product next door for at least a better value. But I suppose the truth is in the details, and this is where the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea shines. But maybe consider re-tiling those bathrooms!

Aloha!

nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

By far the best hotel my husband and I have ever stayed. This place is truly a piece of heaven. The level of service is unbeatable. We stayed there for a week for our fifth wedding anniversary and it felt like our honeymoon all over again. The staff was amazingly accommodating from cleaning/polishing your shoes nightly for free to the shops sending your purchases to your room so you don't have to make an extra trip up. We only rented a car one day because the resort provides a car/driver to take you where you need to go with in a couple miles of the hotel, also complementary. Of course Maui is an amazing location but you could have put this hotel anywhere in the world and I would have said it was the greatest vacation we've had. I just cannot say enough about this place!

Room Tip: It was worth it to me to get a full ocean view. The views are spectacular!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed at the Four Seasons Maui for part 1 of our honeymoon. The service is top notch. From the moment you arrive, they makes you feel special. The staff at the pools, beach, and restaurants are always there to help you. You find yourself never having to flag someone since someone is always coming around to check on you. Can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!