“Doesn't get any better!” 5 of 5 stars

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   3900 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
“Doesn't get any better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Where do I begin..... Well, let me say wow, amazing, relaxation, and you get what you pay for! Be fair warned, this stay is a pretty penny. I don't think Maui gets any better than the stay at Four Seasons. Everything is amazing here. The rooms, food, and service! My husband and I just stayed 9 days for our 11th anniversary, and it was amazing!! I think September is a great time to be there. The crowd was just perfect! I do agree with another guest on the serenity pool. You have to arrive very early to reserve pool loungers. (That's something they forget to mention). But the rest of the pools and beach loungers we had no problem getting. The 3 restaurants were excellent! Don't waist your budget on the room view options, unless u plan to spend all day sitting out on your balcony! It's actually kinda silly to spend that extra money on "a prime or partial ocean view". Unless you have no budget, then go for it! I found myself stressing about that option at my time of booking, and believe me I wish I hadn't. I paid for an ocean view, and wish I hadn't. I stepped out once the entire 9 days I was there. The room itself is gorgeous, spacious, and clean!! Housekeeping to perfection! Concierge excellent! This was an amazing and impressive stay, and highly recommend the 4Seasons! I can't wait to return again!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Korean first
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We just spent a week at the four seasons, and it was super fantastic. From the moment you arrive, the staff makes you feel like family. The valet crew is fantastic, and they quickly get you out of your car and into registration. Once registered the staff walks around the desk to hand you your keys, get you leighed, and provide you a drink. The rooms are good size and depending on your tower, you'll have a garden or ocean view.

The main pool and hot tub are open 24/7, but the serenity pool, the one with the underwater music and swim up bar, is open from 7a-530p. The chairs up there can be reserved as early as 7am, but they must be used at least once an hour. Otherwise they are free to the next sunbather that the staff seats. Cabanas are also available up there for a hefty price, but you get champagne, wifi, and a flat screen for your use all day. Speaking of technology, the hotel offers complimentary kindle readers for your use while lounging poolside.

There are at least 3 if not more restaurants on property and all are top notch and various in cuisines.

On departure day, check out is at noon, but you can continue to enjoy the beach and pools until you depart, and just drop in the spa to take a shower, change and freshen up before you go...it's complimentary!

This is a fantastic property, it's been highly rated before, and should continue to be...we loved it and will return for sure.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at the Four Seasons Maui in early September to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We loved our stay there and hope to return on a regular basis.

We made our booking through Whatahotel.com, a preferred partner of FS, which included a room upgrade, daily breakfast buffet and resort credit. I highly recommend using Whatahotel.com and appreciated that they checked in with me over social media during our stay to ensure we were happy with our booking.

There were many highlights but here are my best and some tips on how to make the most of it:

SERVICE & STAFF
As everyone says the staff are lovely and do all they can to make you feel like a valued guest and welcomed. I especially appreciated the help of the concierge desk in booking activities and reservations for us before we arrived via phone and email. Every time we returned to the hotel, the valet greeted us with "welcome home" - a nice touch.

PARTIAL OCEAN VIEW
We got an upgrade to a partial ocean view and I did not have high expectations (partial ocean in other hotels has not always been much to get excited about). This was not the case here. Our room was on the 5th floor of the north tower overlooking the garden courtyard. The view was incredible and we were able to see the ocean from our lanai, sitting on the sofa or in bed. The water feature in the garden courtyard provided soothing white noise as well.

I loved the oversized marble bathroom. Ladies, bring your bubble bath and bath salts as these deep tubs are perfect for a glass of wine and long soak after a day in the sun.

MOBILE APP
I had read about the Four Seasons Maui mobile app (just for ipad & iphones at this time) and it was super helpful. It lists sample menus and prices for all restaurants and room service which was helpful in picking where to eat. But what we used it mostly for was to order housekeeping services. As we'd leave our room for the day, we'd put in a request to housekeeping so our room was always serviced in a timely fashion.

OUTRIGGER CANOES
Going out on the complimentary outrigger canoes was by far the highlight of our trip. Book a spot on your first morning at the resort to get a sense of the bay and where the best snorkeling spots are.

It is a 6 person canoe, including 2 guides, and you will be required to paddle as well. I mention this as one morning we went out with another couple who were not aware we'd be put to work - it is a total workout! The guides (Gary, Rob & Keeva) are excellent at pointing out the reef life, sharing Hawaii's spiritual and cultural history and giving tips on snorkeling off Wailea beach. Remember to tip them - they deserve it!

But here's the prize when you do go out - you will see up close green sea turtles! On both mornings I went out I saw 4-6 turtles within 5 feet of the canoe. One even came up to the outrigger and gave a little love bump to us - BEST moment of our entire vacation!

WAILEA BEACH
We did not care too much for the pool scene so spent most of our time on the beach right in front of the resort. The beach attendants were friendly and provided excellent service to ensure we were comfortable: setting up lounge chairs with umbrella, bringing round cups of ice water, Avian spritzers and chilled fruit.

This beach is very safe to swim in and the waters clear each morning. Some of the best snorkeling is found around the rocks on the left of the beach. The trade winds did make the water a little choppy from noon onwards so best swimming is done in the mornings.

STAR GAZING
At night the resort is dimly lit mostly by tiki torches - lovely ambience and perfect for star gazing. We found a perfect spot on the front lawn near the kids pool with lounge chairs to stare up at the heavens. On a clear night this was as incredible, if not more, that the famed Maui sunsets.

Speaking of sunsets, the best spots we found were: our lanai, 3rd floor garden courtyard, Wailea beach itself, and the grassy knoll to the left of the resort (public access path to the beach).

SPA
We enjoyed a very relaxing Hawaiian lomi massage with hot rocks oceanside in one of their hales. It was stunning with the sound of the ocean waves. Feeling the coolness of the breeze contrasting with the hot rocks made for an extra sensual experience. Definitely a treat not to be missed.

The hale is right above the oceanfront walkway so you will hear chatter from time to time. The odd bit though is how the spa is set up. There are separate male-female dressing areas with lockers, showers and steam rooms but the waiting room is co-ed. To get to the waiting room you have to go through the reception/shop area again in your robe - I've never experienced that at a day spa before. The waiting room was more like a doctor's office without any of the usual pan flute music. But the oddest and most uncomfortable part was walking from the waiting room to the hale as you need to walk through the resort pools and past Duo's in your robe - a little vulnerable when you have no knickers on!

GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS
All the restaurants and room service offered gluten free options - Ferraro's lists GF items on their special Wellness Menu. I appreciated the options and that the servers were understanding. Duo's breakfast buffet had a designated gluten-free corner with GF daily pastry, bread and its own toaster. The daily pastries were more sugary cakes than muffins - hopefully in time they'll add more healthy options. But A for effort and much appreciated!

FERRARO'S
I recommend going to Ferraro's for lunch and skipping their dinners. We had our first sunset dinner at Ferraro's - the service was impeccable but the food was bland and not very memorable. I would not have dinner there again.

By contrast their lunch was excellent. Their gazpacho was the perfect blend of refreshing and tangy and hit the spot on a hot day. My husband said the burger was great too. We got a better table overlooking the beach at lunchtime as they were less crowded than at dinnertime.

CONS
There were a couple of things that we felt were not quite up to scratch for a 5 star resort:
- The bird infestation at Duo's is a public health concern and I hope they do something to deter them, e.g. netting above the umbrellas or those owl statues to keep them at bay
- The towels in the room were a bit worn and not as plush as I'd expect
- The pool tables and cues in the games room need to be refelted and retipped
- Spa layout is a little odd with not much extra amenities in the locker and waiting areas

But all in all this was the perfect place to spend relaxing time as a couple and be pampered. We will return! Mahalo to all the staff for a wonderful week of deep relaxation.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view rooms in the north tower facing the garden courtyard have wonderful views and are...
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We didn't stay here but arrived early to eat at Ferraro's. We were treated to a very beautiful sunset over the pool area while they were lighting the torches. Unbelievable sight to see with all the colors in the sky. Well, we did eat at Ferraro's and had a very good meal along with nice soft music. The waiter was super nice and very good changing the menu to suite our needs. Pricey but you should expect to pay more at this upscale restaurant, since the food was terrific and the ambiance surrounds you. The rest of the grounds are great to see.

Room Tip: We did not stay here over night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

What a great staff start to finish. The bell staff opened and finished what was a great trip. The Beach was wonderful, the serenity pool fabulous and the hotel pool beautiful. We dined at the Italian restaurant and it was very nice. The bell staff encouraged your exploration of the island with waters and towels to go along with directions and well wishes for a beautiful day in MAUI.

Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

From the minute we arrived, until we (sadly) left, our week at the Four Seasons Maui was magical and memorable. Our room was incredible, the view breathtaking and every person we came in contact with made our visit so special.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the ocean is all you need!
tulsa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was one of the best vacays we have ever taken in our life. The rooms were awesome and big bathrooms. The AC worked very well and I like to sleep with box fans and they were very accommodating. The staff were all very friendly and very helpful. The staff makes you feel very important and like they enjoy having you there. They were very knowledgeable about events and places to go. They have brand new Esclades that take you all around Wailea free. Our bags didnt make it the first night and they were very nice about providing toiletries for us. It was our honeymoon and they delivered a nice bottle of champagne to our room for us. We had an ocean-view room and it was barely a view - if you really want to see the ocean - pay for ocean front room. Very Elegant hotel but not snotty. Beds and pillows were awesome. If you are going to the serenity pool - get there early or you will not get a chair - people start lining up at 6:30 am to get a good chair up at that pool. Worth getting up early to get a chair - no kids allowed and breath-taking views.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view that you pay for - hardly see the ocean - if you want a view pay for ocean fro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!