“Fell in love all over again!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Denver, Colorado
“Fell in love all over again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons Maui in 2002 for our honeymoon, and loved it so much that we kept going back – six times between 2002 and 2006. Once our second kid was born, we had to take a Hawaii hiatus. It turned out to be seven years long. And now that I have been back, I know that it will never be that long again! As my husband said to my kids (7 and 9, who want to live at the FS Maui forever) on the way to the airport, “the problem is, it doesn’t get any better than that.” So true. I apologize in advance for the lengthy review, but I rely so much on these reviews when I am selecting a hotel, and I want to make sure I give detail that will hopefully help others make their decisions.

ARRIVAL:
The best thing about the Four Seasons is the service, from beginning to end, which never wavers. Upon arrival after a long flight (is there any other kind when going to Hawaii?), we were greeted with leis for all, ginger mint lemonade, and cold towels to freshen up. We were shown to our room by the bellman (bonus – didn’t have to wait forever for our luggage to appear), who caught us up on the changes at the resort. Our room was exactly the one I had requested, and was ready for the four of us. For the kids, the sofa bed was ready with a cozy comforter and two stuffed owls. Their names were spelled out in bath sponges on the edge of the bathtub, there were kid-sized robes just for them, a birthday cupcake for my daughter (whose birthday was the day before our arrival), and two plates of ocean-themed treats as a welcome. Chocolate crinkle cookies for me and my husband, and yes, they now include the recipe!

ROOM:
Rooms are large, immaculately clean and beautifully decorated in a modern but comfortable style. The beds are super comfortable with top of the line linens. Pillows were perfect for me – but if they aren’t for you, you can request a different type with the FS Maui app. Some of the King rooms now have queen size pull out sofas which is great since you don’t have to get a second room if you have small children. The sofa bed was made up in the same lovely linens and the kids said it was comfortable. Plenty of space for the four of us to put our clothes away in drawers and closet, and fit the empty suitcases in the closet as well. There is a large flat screen TV (42”?), a desk and chair and two nightstands, as well as a coffee table. Each evening housekeeping came in and turned the couch into a bed, and each morning they came in and turned the bed back into a couch.

BATHROOMS:
Bathrooms are huge with marble everywhere. Separate shower and large soaking tub. Separate water closet (though the pattern on the frosted glass allowing one to see inside is curious to me – kind of negated the benefit of a separate room for the toilet). Double sinks and tons of counter space. Piles of fluffy towels, lovely toiletries (no longer L’Occitane but still nice), cozy robes and slippers, and music. You can choose from several different types of music including Hawaiian. I know I am being greedy here, but if they would have the option of connecting an iPod, Pad, or Phone to the speakers that would be awesome. There is a full size hair dryer in the room as well as glasses for water, Q-Tips, etc. Pretty much everything one would need.

HOUSEKEEPING:
Housekeeping was perfect. First of all, every time we saw a member of the housekeeping staff (or really any other staff) in the hallway, we were greeted with a bright smile and “aloha!” The app came in really handy – you can request just about anything and it was done right away. We asked for cleaning and turndown to be done at a particular time each day, and it was. When we asked for laundry pickup, it was done right away. I asked to purchase slippers to take home, and they delivered them to my room, no charge.

We did laundry a few times during our stay – while laundry for adults is quite expensive, it is a steal for kids’ clothes. Ten items of kids’ clothing for $8. Same day service. And they do a better job than I do, that’s for sure. I swear, my son’s shorts had a crease in them.

DINING:
We enjoyed all three restaurants at the hotel, as well as the pool. All of the restaurants have reasonably priced kids’ menus. Ferraro’s was not as good as I remembered for lunch, but excellent for dinner. The service was always very good. And of course the view is spectacular any time of day. The restaurants will get you food from another menu (for example, I ordered off the pool menu at Ferraro’s) if they don’t have something you want.

Breakfast at DUO was delicious – the buffet has pretty much anything you would want, or you can order from the menu. The kids’ buffet is cute and even toddlers can reach it (so eat the food from it at your own risk). The service for breakfast was great. On our first morning there, our server greeted my kids by their first names. They were blown away, and so was I! Yes, there are birds that hang around waiting to devour your food if you leave it for even a split second. Cover your plate with a napkin or ask for a plate cover if you plan to leave the table. We found that the birds were most aggressive earlier in the morning (presumably because they had waited all night for some crumbs to be dropped). Do watch out for bird poop on the chairs – it only happened once but I got a handful pulling my chair out. We did not have to wait in line at all for breakfast, but we were early risers. I noticed there were people waiting as it got closer to 9:00. Dinner at DUO did not go well – our kids were tired, and the service was unbelievably slow. Our server kept saying “right on!” but didn’t actually do what she said she would. After a very long wait for the food (which had obviously been sitting under the heat lamps, as the plates were all very hot), we endured another long wait for the check. After 10-15 minutes, I gave up and paid at the host stand.

The food at the pool was just OK – nothing special. I prefer a table to eating in a pool lounger anyway.

Spago was terrific. Yes, it is very expensive. But it has a great view and the food really is very good. The service is excellent, but felt a bit formal to me. You can bring the kids there, as long as they are well behaved, unless you want to get dirty looks from the honeymooners. Kids are definitely welcomed by the staff, though.

SPA:
I love the spa, but as others have mentioned, it really does need an upgrade. The pros first: the robes and slippers are great, they have everything you need to shower and get ready after your treatment, and the spa staff are very nice. On the down side, the locker rooms are small, and they don’t really have any of the amenities of the spas at other five star hotels (including other FS locations). Not even a whirlpool. I don’t need over the top amenities like they have next door at the Grand Wailea, but the sore spot for me is the lack of a relaxation room. There is a coed waiting room with regular chairs and that’s it. Nowhere to relax before or after the treatment. My treatment was good, not great. I think that was my fault because I selected a treatment without thoroughly reading the description. My husband had two massages and enjoyed them both, one much more than the other. I also tried the “Inner Clarity” offering, and found it semi-interesting but definitely not worth the exorbitant amount I paid for it. Oh well, I tried something new – maybe I am just not enlightened enough to appreciate it.

POOL:
It’s not a waterpark like they have next door, but even with young kids, I think that’s a good thing. My kids loved the fountain pool, it was plenty fun for them and relaxing for me. If you are an early riser you can snag a cabana before heading to breakfast – just make sure you are back within the hour. Even if you don’t get a cabana, there are always loungers available. The pool attendants are terrific, setting up loungers, making sure you have shade if you want it, etc. The poolside massage is awesome. I had a 30-minute massage and it was heaven. I actually liked it much better than the treatment I had at the spa, and wished I had signed up for longer. My 9 year old daughter got the 10 minute foot massage offered for kids, and loved hers too. We weren’t in the chairs much, but when we were we loved the hourly treats – mini muffins, fruit, etc. It was also nice to have sunscreen available, and our water cups were always full. Yes, there are kids in the fountain pool. Yes, they are splashing and having fun. If you want serenity, head to the serenity pool. Sadly, we did not get a chance to enjoy it (my husband went up just to check it out and said it is beautiful) . . . but when you have kids, serenity is a relative term, so I was happy relaxing at the main pool.

BEACH:
I could spend my whole life at the beach. It is beautiful. The water is clear and warm and, in the morning at least, very calm. We borrowed snorkel equipment for the kids (it is free for the first hour) and they went in right off the beach. I know there are better snorkel opportunities but we didn’t want to make a big ordeal of it, plus there had been shark sightings while we were there, so thought it better to stay closer to shore. There are small waves that are fun to jump but even smaller kids can go in without getting knocked over. The beach attendants are the best. They set up chairs and umbrellas all day long (and don’t charge for it, unlike some other resorts that shall remain nameless like the one right next door), bring water every so often, each time hiking up and down that hill, and they are super nice to boot.

VALET:
Normally, I wouldn’t have a separate heading for valet, because honestly I wouldn’t really notice it. The valet guys at FS Maui are just terrific. They are the first and last point of contact when visiting the resort, and they make sure you start and end your vacation with the best service. Each time we left the resort, they were going above and beyond to help, offering directions, cold water, towels . . . they will even take your trash out of your car. When we left, they gave us cold water for the ride to the airport and little bags of jellybeans for the kids. Just so many nice touches.

KIDS FOR ALL SEASONS:
I love that the kids club is complimentary. It means the kids can stop in if they (or we) want for a couple of hours. No reservation needed. My kids liked it alright during the day (they spent a grand total of about 3 hours during the day) but really enjoyed the night time activities (which sadly do come with a charge). Both nights they played some games, ate dinner and watched a movie. One time the movie was outside on the beautiful lawn overlooking the ocean. We also spent some time in the game room, which is fun for a break from the sun. They have ping pong, pool, foosball and shuffleboard as well as a TV and I think some video games.

CONCIERGE
Concierge was great, offering up great ideas for activities and making the necessary arrangements. I do suggest walking downstairs rather than calling, as you will get more prompt service that way.

I know I have forgotten a million things (like the eyeglasses cleaning cloth housekeeping left near my glasses, the beautiful grounds, etc.), but I think you get the point by now. This is the best resort experience I have had the pleasure of experiencing, because of the beautiful location, superb facilities and amenities, and terrific staff who seem to truly want you to have a wonderful vacation.

I can’t wait to go back.

2,972 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Korean first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just got back from a three-night stay at the Four Seasons. There's not much I can add to all the glowing reviews (it's a beautiful, well-run resort that gets a lot of the details right). The one area I did want to address (since my wife and I are avid snorkelers and didn't see this topic addressed much) is that we found some excellent snorkeling off Wailea Beach. Out around the southern point of the beach (on both sides of the point) there's some nice coral and – all three mornings we snorkeled there – lots of sea turtles. The turtles really elevated the snorkeling experience for us – they were very active, soaring around and feeding.

So, anyway, that's one added bonus to this hotel (you can of course visit the beach without staying at the Four Seasons, but it's really nice to just walk out of your room and be snorkeling with the turtles five minutes later).

Caveat: the wind picked up in the afternoon, making the water choppier and reducing visibility, so we only snorkeled in the morning. But this is the case with almost everywhere on Maui.

For the sake of comparison: probably the very best snorkeling we had on this trip was at Kahekili Beach on the West Side, with Honolua Bay a close second. Black Rock is highly over-rated and gets way too crowded later in the morning, BUT (and this is a big one) we got there early one morning and had five (5) spotted eagle rays dancing around us in crystal-clear water. So it's definitely worth a trip.

Kiev
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The best thing about Four Seasons Wailea is one of the best beaches in the world. You will not find on all Hawaii islands such combination of excellent beach and luxury hotel. There is no drawbacks except price. Service, rooms, restaurants, facilities all are top level.

Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Zero-ith world problem rant ahead. First I'd like to say that my first experience with the four seasons Maui 2 years ago was second only to a stay in an Aman resort. It is -the- thing I looked forward to most for my return to Maui. I've sent numerous travelers here with my glowing recommendation and now I retract my recommendation. I have amex platinum and have never been denied an upgrade until now. 4s wasn't sold out just to frugal to make me happy. I booked the ocean view prime room (apparently the same room I got upgraded to free from their lowest tier the last time I stayed). Nothing prime about it. Its their standard room far from the ocean but my mistake...apparently these are the premium rooms. There were apparently only 3 suites on property of the next level and they were all full. I asked about club level and those rooms were available but not for a free upgrade. Another $200 per night would be required... Approximately the same cost as the suite upgrade was valued. So I'm bummed I paid 2x to stay in the same room as last trip but that's what you get when you roll the upgrade dice. Double bummed as ive read that honeymooners get these upgrades without even having amex plat.

I also reserved a $500 premium serenity pool cabana. There are 2 types of cabanas at serenity 4 that are at 45 angle to the ocean and 2 that look straight. The premium ones are the ones that look straight. When I called to reserve I was told that all 6 were available so I had my pick. Apparently I know more about the 4s than the reservationist because I asked to reserve one of the two specific cabanas. This request went in without her telling me that it would be first come first served for the two cabanas. I only found this last part out by verifying my request with the pool attendant the night before. I asked management to fix it and they apologized but wouldn't budge on policy. Look, I know these are small grievances .. Upgrades and specific requests are zeroth world problems but that's why I stay at the four seasons.. The personal touch and people to step in and address problems for me. That's why I pay 950 for a room and 500 for a cabana so I don't have to get up at 7am to deal with first come first served. 4s management you went from extraordinary to airport Hilton in two years. So far I havent had even a single glimmer of extraordinary or the personal touches that wowed me the first time. I'm thinking long and hard about whether I will return to 4s and certainly will try other hotels on Maui instead next time. Oh yeah. One last complaint. No L'occitane products? Who has ever heard of Villoresi?

Two good things so far.. Complimentary internet finally (though terrible performance because they want you to pay $20) and Ferraro's was surprisingly good.

Conclusions: don't pay for prime ocean view rooms. Try partial ocean or garden view instead. You have a good chance of getting upgraded! Try for the north part of the u tower facing south for best sunset views. Check out merriman's restaurant as they are actually doing creative things with their dinner and cocktail menu. I will update this post after the end of my trip.

Room Tip: North part of the u looking south. Consider partial ocean view as the experience is similar to prem...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with our Resort Assistant Manager about your concerns regarding your room and Serenity Pool cabana. I appreciate your feedback; if you would like to further discuss any concerns, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt completely taken care of. The staff are all committed to customer service.
I really appreciate that the pool chairs and cabanas are free and that there is not too much competition to get a nice spot for the day. It was very important to me to not have to get up really early to run down and save a pool chair everyday. I've stayed places where I couldn't get a pool chair and I'm happy to say this was never a problem.
The beach staff are amazing. They run around setting up your chair and umbrellas, and they are very good at making sure you are comfortable and have what you need on the beach.
Food and drinks were always fresh and tasty. At Spago we had an excellent dinner with a beautiful sunset view.
The kids club was great, our girls were so happy to pop in and out of there when they needed a break from the pool and beach.
I can't wait to go back to Maui, I wouldn't stay anywhere else!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family just finished a full week at the Four Seasons. It was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing vacations we have had. The hotel is immaculate, scenery is breath taking, service impressive, and the food very satisfying.

Prior to arriving I had been in email contact with the hotel concierge about activities available. I worked out an agenda and went to the concierge desk to discuss its reasonableness. They made a copy of it and immediately went to work. They made reservations for me, suggested excellent alternatives, and followed up to check if I was satisfied. They seemed to know everyone and had real pull in getting what my family a spot.

Arrival at the hotel is very pleasant event. You are swarmed by very pleasant bell men and given the Hawaiian greeting and a lemonade drink. Check in was quick and efficient.

Our room was very clean, serviced often, and the beds very comfortable.

While there we used the onsite scuba tours and were very happy with them. We did the beginners training in the pool and then went straight out for the beach. My son was having some difficulty breathing and the dive leader was very encouraging and helpful. My son felt so good about it, he dove again two days later. Though the reefs just offshore were not that impressive, there was plenty of fish and turtles to keep it interesting.

While there we scuba dived, surfed, sunset sail, rode down the volcano on bikes (midday tour), played golf, and did the helicopter tour of West Maui and Molokai. All the event were picked out and arranged by the concierge.

Only negative was the WFI service was not very strong but that is being petty. I mean when you are sunning on a beach like that and one of the staff offers you cold pineapple chunks - to complain about anything is really having to search.

It is expensive but worth it,

Room Tip: Let the concierge do the bookings. You are on vacation.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

All of the praise you have heard for this place is true! The Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea is top-notch. If you are headed to Maui, this is the place to stay!

Service: The service here is impeccable. The staff pays attention to the tiniest details without coming off as 'overbearing'. Upon check-in, we were greeted with leis, cool towels and ginger-mint lemonade (available all day in the lobby, it's fantastic). There was also a small gift (a snack of some sort) waiting for us when we arrived in our room. Not once during our stay did we pass a bellhop, a housekeeping attendant or any FS staff member that did not greet us with a warm smile and an 'aloha'.

Dining: We dined at all three restaurants: Ferraros, Spago and Duo. We thought all were fantastic, all though Ferraro's was our favorite and we returned there for a second dinner at the end of our stay (if possible, request Lisa as your server). The service was wonderful at each restaurant. Duo has a fantastic breakfast buffet; it is a must-do! NOTE: If you dine at Duo for dinner, be sure to order the Banana Toffee Pudding for dessert. It is to die for! As far as quick-service/casual meals, there is poolside food service beginning at 11:30 AM. The poolside menu provided plenty of options, ranging from snacks to full- fledged meals. There are also some snacks available in the sundries shop, and room service is available as well.

Rooms: The rooms are spacious, spotless and overall very well-maintained. There is twice-daily housekeeping service (one in the morning and then a "turn-down" service in the evening). The bathrooms are beautiful, large and well-equipped with toiletries. The balcony is spacious as well and is a great place to sit and relax. Overall, it is the perfect balance between elegance and comfort.

Pool/Beach: The pools are, once again, fantastic. As soon as you sit down, a poolside attendant brings you fresh water. Throughout the day, attendants make rounds and offer goodies such as cool, lavender towels, cucumbers for your eyes, Evian spritzes, fruit samples and ice pops. Cabanas and casabellas are both available. Getting a seat at the main pool was not an issue for us. We even arrived about 11 AM one day and although the pool seemed full, a kind attendant helped to set us up with two lounge chairs and a casabella (we told him we preferred shade over sun). The beach is public, but it's beautiful. The sand is golden and feels like silk under your toes. The water can range from the calm to rough, always check the flags by the beach entrance to make sure that it is safe to swim!

Overall: The Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea is truly a first class resort. While it is expensive, the resort does not 'nickel-and-dime' the guest for every little thing. If it's feasible, choose FS Maui at Wailea. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!