“Destination Wedding!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Chicago
“Destination Wedding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We had our reception at the 4 Seasons and would have had our ceremony there as well, but we had to use the chapel at the Grand Wailea next door. The service was excellent and with our short notice, they were able to pull off a brunch reception at the OCEAN Front Lawn.
Maui is definitely commercialized so if it's your first time to Hawaii it will be very convenient b/c of all the mainland amenities. I would rate it 2nd to Oahu as far as having all the ameneties of the mainland. If you want solitude or more of an island escape go to the Big Island or Kaui etc.

Now, the only thing I'd say to brides/grooms is that people are on island time there. If you are planning a wedding from the US or anywhere else, they do not email/return phone calls right away. That was a bit frustrating. The resort has a list of vendors that you choose from and they make it very difficult for you to bring your own vendors. But we were very pleased with the photographer, florist, etc. If you send in photos they will create everything you want. We had our rehearsal dinner at Duo and they included the price of the dinner into the reception package b/c there is a minimum that you must pay.

We arrived a week before the wedding and loved the pool and service. The cabanas were great if you wanted privacy. The poolside service is wonderful as well, they set up chairs for you and bring you fruit. They will hold your chair b/t 11 and 2 in case you want to go eat lunch. but you can order lunch at your chair as well. The chef will also work with you on your diet if you request certain things. B/c we were there during memorial weekend, it was very busy and quite the scene. We met Dr.Dre on the elevator right before the reception.

The restaurants we went to were the poolside one which is casual with very good food. My husband and I are foodies and we definitely recommend Duo which is known for steak. Because Hawaii is so close to Asia, there are many asian influences esp. the food.

The service is phenomenal, there is no such word as "no". They cater to your every need. The people are sincere and really try to help you with anything. For example, when you get out of your car at the lobby, they immediately come to help you. They won't let you carry anything heavy unless you don't want them to. At the Grand wailea next door, no one greeted me when I got dropped off with my wedding dress for the ceremony. No one even told me where to go to check in or offerred to help me carry my dress.

The fitness room is outdoors and the weight room is indoor. There is a path by the beach you can run/walk on and go through the Grand Wailea and Mariott and even further to Kihe.

The hotel is a tower and b/c it is next door to all the other hotels there are many people walking through. Our suite was huge, they upgraded us for free. They also gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne. The manager also contacted the 4 Seasons in Kona and made sure that we were upgraded for our honeymoon.

The wedding planner is very professional and will give you ideas that will make the wedding go smoother and look nicer. We didn't hire a band or dj since we were only there for brunch. She recommend just to bring an ipod and they hook up speakers etc. IT totally worked well.

Overall, the 4seasons can't be beat!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Korean first
Farmington, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons for the last 2 nights for our honeymoon in the beginning of June. Our room was not ready until 3:15 when check-in was 3pm, but that was not too big of a deal except when you see everyone else checking in and going to their rooms. The room itself was great, with a patio and one of the best bathrooms that we have ever seen. Like everyone says the pool is great and we did not go to the pool until about noon each day and we were able to get cabana's.
Contrary to another reviewer we really enjoyed the fitness equipment being outside, it was a different touch, especially nice to get out of the sun for a little bit. The weight room inside was not that big but very nice, and nicer than the other hotel gyms we stayed at.
The food at Spago was superb!!! Great service and a great meal.
The breakfast at Duo was not very good, and we had a problem with service one morning and they ended up comping our breakfast because we ordered off the menu and they took 45 minutes.
It was a very relaxing hotel to stay with a great beach, and you do not have to leave if you don't want and can be very happy.
My biggest complaint is the service seemed "forced". We stayed at the Hyatt in Kauai and felt that the service was better and friendlier the entire time. Many of the employees of the Four Seasons were not locals, they were from mainland US or Europe. They were too in your face and it felt they were helping you because they had too, not because they wanted too. There was no "aloha" spirit at the Four Seasons, it all seemed fake.

Overall it was a great place to stay and end our honeymoon, but it was not as incredible as many people make it to be.

• Liked — luxurious hotel
  • Disliked — did not feel hawaiian, could have been anywhere
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

This is absolutely the most amazingly perfect place on Earth.

My husband and I went several years ago for our honeymoon. I stumbled across the reviews while planning another trip and felt compelled to write a little as the pictures brought back so many perfect memories. Obviously, The Four Seasons is still as wonderful as it was while we were there.

We arrived in Maui late in the day and were exhausted. After hasseling with the car rental place and picking up our rental, we arrived at The Four Seasons and immediately went to our suite. Hawaiian music was playing in the background. Champagne was chilling on the table. A bowl of fresh fruit welcomed us.

We were finally able to relax after the long flight from Dallas. We booked an executive suite the first few days but had to move to a regular room for the remainder of the trip. The suite had been booked by someone else prior to our trip--my husband's fault in planning. Moving was not that big of a deal as they handled it all. We were in Maui for a couple of weeks and --once we recovered from the exhausting wedding and began exploring Maui--we spent the latter part of our trip at a Bed and Breakfast in Haiku.

We felt pampered and relaxed and everything was so peaceful and perfect. This was absolutely the cure for our wedding and dealing with stress of it all. We needed to recover from our wedding and this was the perfect place to be with each other and to enjoy our first days as a married couple.

We love adventure and really enjoyed renting a jeep and exploring the Up Country... We opted to purchase gourmet snacks at Safeway (and champagne) to keep in our room. We went to Tedeschi Vineyard...many churches and hidden beaches. We definately loved the CD recording to Hana and it led us to find places we never would to explore. We went on a hike and found a waterfall in a bamboo forest.

Every day should be a day at the Four Seasons in Maui. This was absolute heaven.

We noticed a few celebrities but it was nothing. We did not care or make a deal out of it. We felt like celebrities while there and were treated as such.

We ended up with a special souvenier of a honeymoon baby. The Four Seasons was an amazing beginning to our marriage and the best place to start our life together.

• Disliked — sets the bar for every hotel in which we stay
  • Stayed July 2003, traveled as a couple
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

My husband and I spent the week of May 29 - June 5th at this gorgeous resort. I had read mixed reviews in the past, but found our experience to be beyond compare! We were greeted with leis, ice cold beverages and chilled lavendar scented towels. We did not receive an upgrade from our oceanview room, but were offered a $3,000/night oceanview suite for $500 extra. We decided to stay with our orignal room, which was quite lovely and roomy.

We spent most of our on-property time at the pool, hanging out in our cabana - we usually came down around 11:30 or in the afternoon, and never had a problem getting one. Although I was told that at Christmas week, people sneak down at 4 am to snag one! The service was great - Evian spritzers, ice cold water, yummy beverages (try the Key Lime Colada and the Lava Flow) and delicious lunches. My favorite was the Margherita Pizza. They also bring you frozen icees and cold fruit - such as watermelon or pineapple.

We enjoyed our lunch at Ferraros', and dinner as well. Our 1st night in Maui, we were exhausted, but had an oceanfront table for sunset, so we tried it - and loved it! I had forgotten my sunglasses, so the waitress brought me a platter with 4 pair to pick from - talk about service! We toasted the sunset with a glass of Prosecco. I like my Lobster Risotto (not the best I've ever had, but really good), but my husband said his sea bass was the best, freshest fish he had ever eaten. The view was so amazing, that we had to pry ourselves away after dinner, remembering that the Road to Hana would mean an early start!

The morning of Hana, we had a delicious room service breakfast, and they packed us a picnic basket, complete with cloth napkins and silverware, which made for a wonderful picnic on Hamoa Beach. Other days we ate at Duo - the breakfast buffet was wonderful! $28 for continental, $32 for hot. The made to order shrimp omelette I had the 1st day there was delicious!

We also ate at Spago's, which I loved. Service was great, even though we had pushed our reservation back due to a late return from Hana. I loved the heirloom tomato salad, and the Chinese Pepper Scallops. I had a drink called Lush that was yummy as well. My husband did not like his dinner as much as Ferraro's, but this type of high energy, see and be seen environment is more my style than his.

Our best dinner at the resort was the Ultimate Dinner. Pricey, but worth every penny! You get to plan your own menu, filled with all of your favorite things, in a planning session with the chef. You get your own private waiter, secluded dining area overlooking the beach, a bottle of champagne, a different glass of wine paired with each of the 6 courses, and even a violinist! What a way to spend an anniversary!

We also indulged in the couples massage in the oceanside hale- the Wailea one left us feeling as limp and relaxed as rag dolls!

The gift shops were really nice. I found 2 really cute beach coverups, and even found out that a photo album with a turtle on it I got at the Shops at Wailea, was a few dollars cheaper at the resort.

All in all, it was an unforgettable experience - by the end we were trying to figure out how long we could stay if we sold everything we owned. Unfortunately, it was not long enough!

• Liked — The service, the location, the beauty and attention to detail.
  • Disliked — The rooms do not give you a really good ocean view, especially for the price.
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

My wife and just returned from 8 amazing nights at the Four Seasons in Maui at Wailea. I do not have too much to add here other than that everything wonderful you have ever heard about this resort doesn't give it enough justice.

From the bellhop boys to the the waiters/waitresses, to the help by the pool everyone was gracious, accomodating and provided absolute impeccable 5 star service! There wasn't one instance where we walked by an employee of the 4S and they didn't smile or say "aloha".

Before we booked our room, we had reservations about which type of room to stay in. To have at least a little view of the ocean from our hotel room was our goal. We chose to stay in the partial ocean view room and never regretted it once. If you choose this route you will actually have a view of the ocean while lying in bed. Man! What a way to wake up by staring out at the most royal blue water I've ever seen! The room provides more than enough room for 2 people. The bathroom is huge with seperate deep soaking tub and marble shower. The room has a little refridgerator that we were able to put some snacks in. One last note on the room. The beds are the most comfortable we have ever slept in! We have been fans of Westin's Heavenly Bed but they don't touch the bed at the 4S in Maui.

It was so awesome to wake up, go for a walk on the path on the beach, have breakfast at the buffet at Duos then go "veg" out by the pool or beach and be waited on hand and foot. They come by every half hour or so and offer you fresh delicious orange slices or pineapple as well as offer a cold towel and spritz if you'd like. What pampering!

If you can afford it, there is no doubt that 4S will leave you completely satisfied. It is pricey, but worth every single penny. It is located in Wailea which is an upscale area in itself with beautiful golf courses, restaurants and shops all within 5 minutes by car.

My wife and I absolutely treasured our time in Maui at the Four Seasons and cannot wait to go back!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

My husband and I spent a week at the Four Seasons Wailea at the end of our honeymoon. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The staff is attentive. The grounds are well maintained. The rooms are spacious, luxurious, and comfortable.

We originally booked a partial ocean view room but were upgraded to one that actually faced the ocean, instead of having the angled view as most rooms do. (We weren't on the ocean front, but rather towards the back so that our view faced the beach but also included the grounds.) An expensive bottle of sparkling wine was chilling in the room when we arrived, compliments of the hotel with congratulations on our new marriage. The bathroom was huge, marbled, and spectacular. I loved the built in bathroom sound system, which had a dedicated Hawaiian channel. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and so was the couch, chairs, and lanai furniture. There was a widescreen plasma tv in the room, but we honestly didn't watch much television during our stay. The hotel offers complimentary use of a beach bag during your stay, which we gladly took advantage of daily.

The most disappointing part of the room was the small fridge/bar area. There was a single-cup coffee maker (a Braun that used the T pods). It was incredibly loud and it would take approximately 5 minutes to make a not-quite-full cup of coffee. The complimentary coffee was absolutely hideous, perhaps the hotel's way of getting you to buy a $9 carafe of Kona coffee in the restaurant downstairs? The FS should have offered some local coffee instead, preferably beans you can freshly grind yourself. Another area that could be improved is the complimentary toiletries, which are French. Again, local Hawaiian products would have been a nice touch.

Hanging out at the pool or Wailea beach was a pure delight. FS employees would come around, offering Evian spray, ice water, and even fresh fruit. There are plenty of free use cabanas around the pool. The pool area could have been bigger and deeper but at least everything was very clean and well maintained. Down at the beach, the attendant will set up chairs, umbrellas, and table wherever you please. Ahh, paradise. All FS guests get complimentary use of snorkel gear for one hour a day. Go in the morning - conditions are much better. Wailea Beach is beautiful - one of the best on Maui. There is a beach side path that runs along Wailea, allowing you to walk to other resorts or to the Shops at Wailea.

We dined at all of the FS restaurants. Duo at breakfast is amazing - I cannot give the buffet a higher recommendation. Duo at dinner is good, but Nick's Fish Market at the next door Fairmont is better. Ferraro's offered pretty good lunch sandwiches and a great Italian dinner menu. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset meal overlooking the beach. Everything from the wine, to the salads, to the main courses were absolutely delicious. Not cheap, but delicious. My husband and I also enjoyed dinner at Spago. Both of our fish dishes were delicious. Our one complaint is with the bread. A server came around and asked what type we'd like and then gave us a minuscule little piece. The piece of butter on the table was bigger than both bread pieces combined. (Seriously, just keep your lousy bread crumb and stop embarrassing yourself.) But other than that, everything was great at Spago. We attempted to have drinks and appetizers at the Lobby Lounge one evening but service was so horrendous we left after the first drink. We saw about seven employees walking around but no one seemed to want to take our order. When we finally got our drinks they were puny and weak tasting. If you want a drink do yourself a favor and go sit at the bar at Ferraro's. The drinks and service are a million times better down there.

The FS spa is small but wonderful. My husband and I enjoyed a couples ocean-side massage and it was absolutely awesome. We tried the Mele Wailea signature treatment and it was great - the perfect remedy after a morning of beginner's surfing. Ocean side massages are done in traditional Hawaiian construction hales.

Parking was valet only. The valet attendants were amazing, always offering beach towels, ice cold bottled water, and directions. Most of the other service we had at the resort was similar - very warm and personal. Employees somehow remember your name and your preferences. The only service area that was lacking was the housekeeping, which was largely influenced by the amount of a tip you left. On three occasions my husband and I failed to leave a tip and we received spotty housekeeping - some dirty towels were left in the bathroom, no new complimentary amenities. For $10 (twice a day) the housekeeping was much improved - wonderful turndown, folding up our clothes, lining up our shoes, leaving complimentary slippers next to the bed, as well as fulfilling any special requests we had. I don't mind leaving gratuity for good service, but at a place like the FS the service should not vary so much depending on the tip. Good grief, housekeeping is supposed to be complimentary.

Despite the few problems, my husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons immensely. It was a wonderful end to our perfect honeymoon in Maui.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and rooms, the Spa, and lovely Wailea Beach
  • Disliked — Housekeeping quality, bad complimentary coffee
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

The Four Seasons was amazing. We arrived on 5/7/08 and we stayed two nights. From the moment you arrive you are greeted by the valet, opening your door and helping you with your luggage. They greet you with orchid lei for the women and leaf lei for the men. We travelled with our two girls ages 1 and 2. They even greeted them by their names and gave them shell lei. At check in they had cool lavender scented towels to freshen up and they came out with a basket full of toys for the girls to pick from. When we arrived to the room they had baby proofed the room like I had requested and had snacks with tub toys for the girls and a bottle of Champagne for us for our anniversary. They also had Whale stuffed animals as souvanir gifts for the girls. The room was set up with a crib and extra diapers, swim diapers and toiletries. We had a mountain view room, which I'm glad we got because you hardly spend time in the room anyway. And the view of the mountains is nice. They do face the road and the AC units, but you can't hear anything with the doors closed. The room of course is huge and they have complimentary robes and slippers for your use while in the hotel. They also have a beach bag that you can use while there and if you want to purchase it you can as well.
The bathroom is gorgeous. They had the girls names spelled out with sponge letters. They spelled one of the girls name wrong, which was not a big deal, the bell boy right away got on his walkie talkie and had someone send the right letters. They have a little refrigerator with water and it came in handy for the girls milk and juices.
The pool, is everything you have read and seen, but since I spent most of my time in the childrens area I will speak about that. The children's pool area is nice with a toddler pool and two other pools with waterfalls and a small slide. They have cabanas free of charge of course and if you like they bring out a pack n play with the little ones to nap. We did have trouble finding a Cabana by the children's area since its smaller. They also have beach chairs but they are in the sun. The beach is beautiful and they have sand toys for the kids to play with. They set up your chairs with umbrella and we never felt pressured to tip even though we did.
For our anniversary night we hired a nanny from The Nanny Connection. She was great! The Four Seasons recommend this nanny company as well an they use them for baby sitting services. I was a little hesitant but quickly became comforted when she came in with a bag full of new toys and the girls took right to her. They didn't even notice when we left. We also had her for a snorkel trip we took. She came to our condo after the four seasons.
We ate at ferraros for lunch which was good but I have never spent almost $100 for lunch. We knew it was going to be pricey but we didn't want to leave because the girls were tired after a morning of fun in the sun! For our anniversary dinner we ate at Duo's. We loved it, the food was great and we loved the plate full of cotton candy that they give at the end. We asked if they could bag what was left for the girls and the waiter was nice to bring us a whole new bag.
I wrote a lot about what they had for children because when I was researching I felt that the majority of people that gave reviews spoke negative about the children or stated that it was not a good hotel for children. My fears were calmed when I arrived and realized that The Four Seasons caters to everyone and there were many families with children.

• Liked — The first class treatment
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!