“Lovely Maui and the Four Seasons Wailea” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Wailea
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Maui and the Four Seasons Wailea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I booked my stay through the Four Seasons preferred partner 'WhataHotel.com'. In using the preferred partner I received additional perks including breakfast each morning. They were really helpful and accommodating when I needed to change my holiday dates. I would definitely use them again and you don't pay any additional fees to them.

The Four Seasons at Wailea is amazing; my second time staying there. I would not stay anywhere else on Maui - Wailea is definitely the nicest area.

My room was super huge, the bathroom alone is bigger than my home living room!!!!
Although expensive, it is worth the investment for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: I have stayed in a Mountain side room (which also overlooks the covered car park) and a garden view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

2,968 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived from Molokai, thinking it would be nice to have a bit of a treat after 'roughing' it for a bit. Think it took us about 5 min after arrival to realize it might have been a mistake. The place is huge! We do travel a lot, we have been to quite a few Four Seasons resorts, with very mixed reviews. Now, we booked this quite late so there wasn't much choice, but seeing it was no 1 here sort of made us think maybe this one could handle some of the issues we have encountered in with some of the other resorts. But we were sadly disappointed.
Let's start with the good bits. The beds are the best there are. Always! And I would go to a city FS property just for the bed. The girls and boys handing out water and cool towels by the pool are very attentive!
And then we get to the annoying bits. The bits that makes you wonder in just how many ways they can make you feel that you are the poor cousin from the country! I did say the hotel is huge right? 380 or so rooms. All with a sofa bed! That could make it four people in each room. Add the suites which have two bedrooms... Well, you probably get the picture. And sun beds? Not so many! And that's the understatement of the year. This is where the fun and games start. Upon arrival, seeing how big this hotel is, and having encountered this type issue before I obviously went to ask about the sunbed situation! Hubby and I both just needed three days of children happily doing water sports (I'll get to that later!) and us on a sunbed overlooking the ocean. I was 'assured' that the cabanas I saw everywhere was not only free but first come first serve. I did say we have seen this at other FS properties right? So I was pleasantly surprised. We were jet lagged having flown in from Europe not that long ago, so were up very early. Had breakfast at 6.30 and as we were sitting at restaurant we were a little bit alarmed by not just the number of books etc on the sunbeds but also the steady stream of people 'running' to claim their own bed. Understood why as we finally made our way to poolside. Remember the first come first serve policy? Not so much... They have 'private' signs all over. Apparently some guests are more important than others. We clearly are not. It became quite the thing over the 3 days watching other guests asking WTF and arguing with pool staff over this issue. How the manager that I spoke to could claim this is not an issue is beyond me. Let's put it this way, a lot of the people going to this hotel have obviously got the money but may not necessarily have learnt how to be subtle, so you get to hear it, loudly! Same sort of issue down on the beach by the way! The first row gets 'reserved' and you are allocated second row. And then these private little cabanas and spaces are empty.... They have these stupid little hedges everywhere so you don't see the ocean... Irritating!
Watersports are there but at cost, suppose that is to be expected but as we travel a lot to Asia and also Latin America we are used to a lot of it being free. No such thing here! An hour for two paddle boards was $80 dollars and as the guy pointed out 'gratuity' not included!
They have a bit of problem with birds, I wasn't going to get the breakfast buffet after having watched the birds feast on it, so we had a la carte. Stupid, you pay for everything, want a refill of OJ? You pay for another glass, want a few pieces of bananas? You get charged, ending up with a bill for $250.
Free wifi? The slow version, the type you haven't seen around your house since the 90's. Want the normal version? At $20 per day it is yours.
Want something to drink in your room? Room service, or BYO. There is nothing in the fridge. Once you do get to the bar or the restaurant you realize why. It must be the only restaurant that doesn't give you ice water as you sit down. They ask if you don't want bottled water.... Really? With food and the 2 rooms we were at $3500 per day already??? And they want wifi, refills of OJ, valet parking, gratuity on everything, etc etc!!!! Feeling ripped off and yet inexplicably I am supposed to get excited over 'free' suntan lotion by the pool??? And yet the biggest issue are the 'private' cabanas. Shouldn't happen. They simply have got to stop this nonsense or get more sun beds...
Would I go back? Never! It is simply not worth the money. I can fly cheaper from the East Coast to Asia, where I can stay in amazing hotels, eat amazing food, and at a third of the cost, I just have to avoid the FS properties. We have stayed in Langkawi and the ones in Bali, they have similar issues there!
We were also 'lucky' with a few wedding parties and their partying. It gets loud. So if you do go you may want to ask if they have either a conference or a wedding as they shut down parts of the property depending on the event. You also want to check where in the property your room is going to be. They have a lot of 'choice' ones overlooking parking, entrance etc!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of the property. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me at konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We - 4 children 2 adults had a great stay here over the holidays.
We enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, rooms were fantastic, food great & all amenities lovely.
Our only disappointment was the rush to access pool side seating every day.This particularly affected the infinity pool and as all seats were taken from 6:30 each morning.We like to have a relaxed pace on holidays so maybe another system would help.
More seating for breakfast is also needed as a 20 minute wait to be seated each morning is too long.
We will return outside school holidays when there is less rush.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Four Seasons @ Wailea. Service was excellent, our room was quiet, clean and very comfortable. Loved the breakfast buffet, again excellent service. We enjoyed sunning ourselves on the lovely beach--- the service and attention by the beach and pool attendants here was exceptional. They will set up lounge chairs and help make you comfortable. Our experience was so pleasant all the way around. Can't say enough good things about the Four Seasons!

Flomo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Personalized service really made us feel special. DH hated the bed, although it was fine for me. One hiccup with housekeeping was handled immediately (cleaning the room at 8pm, what?) and they were extra attentive the rest of our stay. Breakfast buffet was incredible!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We traveled with my daughter and son-in-law the last week of May and this was our second visit to this hotel. During the week we spent many wonderful hours at the resort by the pool and enjoying the other available amenities. We ate at all the restaurants – Ferraros was our favorite -- and had massages at the spa. I have seen many complaints from other posters about finding a place at the pool if one is not there early, and apparently that is true at the Serenity pool. However, anytime (early, late, after lunch, whenever) we went to the other pools, the workers were able to secure us the place/cabana of our choice. We did the serenity pool one day and it is a beautiful place and serene as the name implies. However, service-wise it is not superior over the other pools. This is not a minus on the part of the Serenity Pool staff, just an indication of how good the pool staff is throughout the resort. We did rent a luxury cabana for a day and although it was a real treat, a cabana by any of the other pools was just as fun. (Just not nearly as luxurious) Pool service anywhere at the resort always includes spritzes, towels and various treats throughout the day. They also have the BEST drink and food service -- always checking to see if you need anything and promptly re-filling water glasses and delivering orders. (Order the traditional Mai Tai served with crushed ice, oh my!) The courtesy car(s) were always there to take us to the mall or anywhere else nearby. We never heard “our car is out and won’t be back for several minutes.” (I have heard that refrain from many an upscale hotel) They seemed to have a never ending fleet of SUVs ready for our service. We splurged and stayed on the Club Level (ocean view prime) and as always we feel it’s worth the extra expense. I worked with several of the concierges ahead of time through e-mail and they had arranged several aspects of our trip by the time we arrived. Many thanks to Shauna, Kimberly, Rowena, Pat, Margaret, and all the others whose names I have regrettably forgotten in the intervening 2 months – you made a wonderful trip even better. After returning home I happened to be reading in an action/adventure novel where the hero said, “That’s what I like about the Four Seasons, you only have to ask and it will be supplied.” He’s right, except he left out that it will be supplied promptly, with a genuine smile and a “my pleasure”. I would love to turn right around and go back, but other trips to other places are being planned. I vow to return to the Four Seasons Wailea one day!
As an aside, on a day trip to Lahaina it was parasailing with West Maui Parasail and lunch at the Historic Pioneer Inn – good people watching view, average food. We also walked around the small, historic town and watched the wood carvers on the street corners, etc. However, when it came time to purchase, we went to a small shop off Front street, (across from the Banyan Park), and several steps down a side street where Auhia has a small shop. (Never saw a name on his shop but from Front Street you can see the carvings out in his courtyard) His work is on display and you can get your purchase personalized and mailed. Naturally it will take about a month (well, it did for us being on the East Coast) but you will get a piece that everyone notices and talks about and you will smile and remember your wonderful trip to Hawaii every time you see it. He’s great! If you just want to spend more money, the Four Seasons has some really nice pieces throughout their shopping area. On another day we took a Blue Helicopter Tour (well worth the money) around the island and had lunch at Mama’s Fish House (very good food and loved the view).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my third visit to the FS Maui and I had a great time. I was travelling with extended family including two kids aged 6 and 7. Each time we consider going to Maui, there is always a bit of a decision between the Grand Wailea (which we have never been to) and the FS. We always pick the FS based on prior stays. Sure the GW looks like it has great pool facilities, but the feeling is that there will be some downside (large hotel, smaller rooms, nickel & diming service) which we would have to sacrifice for the pool facilities.

This stay was no less pampering and gracious than other stays at FS in Maui and on the Big Island. The staff answer you with the word, "Absolutely" and it has an incredibly palliative effect. You want this or that? Absolutely. Sure, prices are high, but that seems to be the case everywhere in Wailea.

The rooms were very spacious and very well appointed. We had two queen beds and a pull out sofa bed for a family of three in one room. The only down side was that the room was really far from the elevators, but when everything else was so wonderful, this really did not matter.

Without going into every little detail, the bottom line is this. If you want to stay at the top of the line, no care, no worry, no flaw resort in Maui to savor great food, kick back at the pool and as a base to visit all that Maui has to offer, there is no better choice, full stop.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the rear on the fourth floor let out to small garden areas instead of the balconies on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!