“Magical vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jamestown
“Magical vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Just spent 6 days at the Four Season and overall it was excellent! Upon arrival we received Lei's, cool towels, and a refreshment, which was delicious. Our flight was a nightmare but the hotel quickly tried to make our arrival as pleasant as possible. Our late arriving luggage was promptly delivered to our room and in the meantime, we found an amenity kit in our room with all of the essentials.

The room was fantastic! We had a prime ocean view room in the center. My favorite part of the room was the HUGE bathroom. It was perfect! Every evening, we had slippers waiting at the side of our bed and the room was always clean and taken care of.

The grounds, pool and beach are amazing! We had to wait for chairs at times (especially at serenity pool) but we are late risers and were aware that if you weren't down by 9am the chances of a good seat were low. However, we always found something.

The food.... Probably the most amazing breakfast buffet I have even seen however, it was all wayyyyyyyyy over priced. That would be our only complaint. We knew that the Four Season would be expensive but we weren't expecting to pay over $90 for breakfast. Lunch and dinner the same. Good food but way over priced.

Back to the good.... sitting at pool, there was always an attendant offering complementary snacks, water, an Evian spritz, cool towels and even cool cucumber for your eyes. That was decedent! Probably my most favorite part of the week was the commentary Outrigger Canoe program. 10 minutes of instruction and then about 30 minutes on canoeing around Wailea. Our guide, Gary, gave us lots of information about the surrounding area and we even saw an huge turtle! Fun fun fun!

Overall, the Four Seasons was a top notch hotel and we would definitely recommend it to anyone who can afford it ;-)

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Korean first
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was my second visit to four seasons, unfortunately, it does not live up to the standards of other four seasons. Good is excellent, the beach is excellent. But, service is average. Sadly, YOU HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR NAME AND CELL PHONE TO RESERVE A CHAIR AT THR ADULT POOL. Trust me the regular pool is crowded with kids. The service at the beach is poor and overcrowded. Sad this place has lost it's glamour. Nicer hotels much cheaper next door.

• Stayed April 2013
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of the property, especially with regards to our pool service. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me at konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Beautiful location and everything you need for a relaxing holiday within walking distance. We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea this April with husband and 2 children. This was our third stay at the Resort. Generally we don't like to travel to the same places freqently however we find that the Four Seasons Maui is the perfect holiday for discerning adults with children.

Travelling a long distance from Australia, we usually stay a few days in Waikiki, however this visit we decided to travel directly to Maui for 5 days followed by 5 days at the Four Seasons Kona.

The standard rooms are light filled and a good size with a large bathroom plus fold-out sofa for children. On arrival, our children were welcomed with treats and thoughtful toys in our room including their names spelt out in sponges in the bathroom. They also had their own children's toiletries. As it was our third visit, we were greeted by the Manager at reception and received a welcome basket of fruit and chocolates.

The Resort was much busier this visit as we stayed during Spring Break. On arrival, we thought that this fact would affect our stay however the staff were just as attentive as previous visits in September and October. We did need to reserve our cabanas in the morning (with a strategically placed book). We had no issues with restaurant reservations or other services around the resort.

Our second child was 6 months old and the Resort was fantastic in ensuring that her needs were catered for. This included sterilising her bottles at no charge for me each day. Room Service would come to pick up and have them back to me very quickly. In comparison, the Four Seasons Kona was not as busy and much slower with their service throughout the Resort.

Other highlights - Outrigger canoe experience, snorkelling on the beach, pool menu and service, Infinity pool and view, kids for all seasons club, Ferraro's.

Misses - Bring back the L'Occitane toiletries

Room Tip: All Standard Rooms are the same size. Only rooms with a real view are the ocean front. Partial Oc...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I read the reviews and had high expectations. I've been let down before on TripAdvisor but Maui Four Seasons did not disappoint. In most respects, my expectations where exceeded.

Special thanks goes out to Sari at the front desk, Michelle who greeted us very warmly upon arrival, Christina and Bryan at the Serenity Pool bar, and the great valet crew (too many names and I don't remember them.) This vacation would probably not have happened if it wasn't for the great deal that I found on www.whatahotel.com - it was an amazing deal for one of the best resorts in Hawaii. They are now my first stop for all future trips.

This is a relatively small but extremely well kept property. In comparison we took a walk to the neighboring hotels - Fairmont Kea Lani and Grand Wailea. The Fairmont was almost as nice but the Grand Wailea was not nearly as well kept as the Four Seasons. We were actually surprised how neglected the Grand Wailea was considering its reputation.

We stayed for four days and it was long enough to experience all the restaurants, the beach, and serenity pool. First impressions always count and as we drove down the driveway to the valet, I wondered if this vacation would be everything that we expected. Stopped the car, opened my door, and out of nowhere a valet opens my wife's door, greets me, and as I reach to open the trunk, he says - The luggage will be brought to your room sir, we'll get if from here. We then got a warm lei greeting from Michelle and she walked us to the front desk. Brought us drinks and a piece of pineapple. At the front desk was Sari. I've never in my life remembered my "front desk" experience. Sari was awesome. It was a ridiculously perfect entrance and it was this impression that set the stage for the rest of our stay.

The Serenity pool is Serenity and we probably spent 70% of our time in this area. Our first day was very leisurely, we arrived at the pool around 9AM. All the pool lounge chairs were already taken but the red chairs by the bar were open. Realistically, the pool lounge chairs are for people that want to sleep or lay out in the sun. We wanted to be in the water and at the pool bar. We put our name in for a lounge chair anyway and I think we got a phone call around noon for a chair, it was perfect timing. You'll read a lot of reviews of people lining up at 7AM to get a lounge chair... you're on vacation, why get in line to do this? I was there on July 4th weekend and while all chairs were immediately taken at 7AM, enough people will leave well before the day is over. Enough of that.... the bartenders, Christina and Bryan - They were class acts and they made amazing drinks. My favorite drinks weren't even on the menu. They were Christina's personal creations and they were damn good. It's pretty sad that the first thing I want to do the next time I go to Maui is to chill at this pool and bar. It was that perfect.

The Serenity pool is a quiet area. There was an obnoxious family from LA and one of the ladies announced to everyone in the pool that "Serenity is over" and that she was going to be a loud mouth and take over the pool area. The manager came over in a heartbeat, not sure where the heck he came from as we've never seen him before or since and at breakneck speed and he took control immediately and with firm authority. He told them firmly that they are welcome to go to the main pool but if they wanted to stay here, they better keep it quiet. That was awesome! Serenity returned faster than I expected.

The beach is cozy and it's shared with the Grand Wailea, if you're looking for that tucked away and private piece of Hawaii... this isn't it. The beach boys were very attentive and get you seated and comfortable in a snap. Everything you need is there - snorkels, body boards, SUP boards, coconut water, even coffee! We're from Oahu and live near Haunama Bay and the snorkeling in comparison isn't that great but it's enough for most.

There was a huge wedding party on our first night and they partied pretty loudly until 1am. I really wished the hotel would have done more to keep the noise level down. I wanted to keep the lanai doors open and I did but it meant that I wasn't going to sleep until the wedding party ended. This was probably the only wrinkle in our stay and I wasn't very happy about it at the time but I got in some good reading until I was able to sleep. My wife slept through it just fine, she didn't even know there was a party.

I'm reviewing the restaurants separately but here's on overview of the restaurants, breakfast buffet, and room service.

Spago - It's an awesome restaurant, great food, great service (Frank was awesome), and the only restaurant that I will be sure to eat at again on my next stay at this property.

Duo Steak and Seafood - Good service but the food was only average. Definitely not worth the price you pay. A slight detractor was all the kids in the dining area. The experience was not equal the price.

Ferraro's - They had very good food, ambience, and service. A notch below Spago and a world better than Duo.

Lobby Lounge - We had a couple drinks and relaxed upon check in. Service was leisurely but very friendly and the drinks were creative and very good.

Breakfast Buffet - It was probably one of the more expansive breakfast buffet's I've tried. Topped only by a 5 star resort in the Philippines. I've seen more selection before but the selection here was mostly very good for a buffet. Again... too many kids that take away from what could be a peaceful breakfast.

Room Service - Excellent overall. I preferred breakfast in the room over the buffet.

Room Tip: Very few rooms have a direct ocean view because of the shape of the hotel. Our 1 bedroom suite with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

They really have it figured out. I have never reviewed a hotel before but this place is really special and deserves some recognition. The beach is amazing, not a stone or shell in sight. Spago was the best meal I have had in a long time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has so many special touches that we felt like royalty, one of the most special was the staff all knowing your name. The serenity pool made us never want to leave the resort, and with amazing food at every restaurant we really didn't need to. Our favorite meal was at Duo, Spago was a close second. If you want to sit at the pool all day even the food they serve there is great. Make sure when you book you include the breakfast buffet, it is amazing but if you pay out of pocket it's Expensive!

Just an fyi...we did not know this until we left but if you wanted to save money don't rent a car at the airport. We only used one for Hana and mamas fish house the same day. There is a rent a car right next to the hotel to rent for 24 hours. Our other excursions picked us up so we really didn't need one the whole time, and they charge you to park every night. Really the hotel is so amazing you can stay for days and not be bored!

• Stayed July 2013
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons resort in Maui at Wailea. The location is about half an hour from the airport. A taxi will cost around $60. You can rent cars at the hotel if you need to take trips anywhere.

Our suite was beautiful. Two bathrooms, a separate bedroom and a living room with sofa bed and dining table. Two outside terraces. The items left for the children (aged 8 and 10) were perfect. I actually can't fault this place. The KIDS FOR ALL SEASONS activities were amazing and the children actually wanted to return again and again. The games room with gaming devices, ping pong, pool etc was perfect for a change to being in the sun. We never had a problem finding a nice spot by the pool. There are a large number of irritating people who go down to the pool and "reserve" seats at 7.00 in the morning to ensure they get their "spot", but frankly it isn't necessary. Having said that, the serenity pool, located at the upper level, and for adults only, is anything but serene. It was crowded, noisy and full of people posing. I'll take the kids pool thanks! If you want to choose a fairly low key, quiet spot, choose a cabana or chairs by the waterfall. Staff will put up shade umbrellas where they are required. Pool service is the best I have encountered and the pool side food and drinks were amazing. Suntan creams are available for all guests. Cold towels come around every once in a while and my water glass was constantly re-filled.

There are numerous activities which are available daily including water aerobics and yoga. Almost all activities are included in the room price so you do get good value (including the kids club). Having said that, the room price, food and drink is all expensive. The average cocktail is around $15 and main course meals vary from $30 to $45. The food was absolutely excellent everywhere we went. Our room also included a $90 credit for breakfast. This could be used towards room service breakfast or the restaurant breakfast. Go to Spago's. The food is incredible.

The concierge desk is extremely helpful and no problem was too big. They even took the trouble to double check some of my arrangements just to ensure everything would run smoothly. My husband required a spanner in the room. Someone came up within 4 minutes with a selection.

Be aware of the preferred taxi service that they do run the meter and don't try to give you a fixed price. More often than not, the meter will run cheaper than a fixed price.

Fantastic place, fantastic staff.... just fun, fun, fun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!