“Doesn't get much better than this” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Grand Cayman
“Doesn't get much better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons resort in Maui at Wailea. The location is about half an hour from the airport. A taxi will cost around $60. You can rent cars at the hotel if you need to take trips anywhere.

Our suite was beautiful. Two bathrooms, a separate bedroom and a living room with sofa bed and dining table. Two outside terraces. The items left for the children (aged 8 and 10) were perfect. I actually can't fault this place. The KIDS FOR ALL SEASONS activities were amazing and the children actually wanted to return again and again. The games room with gaming devices, ping pong, pool etc was perfect for a change to being in the sun. We never had a problem finding a nice spot by the pool. There are a large number of irritating people who go down to the pool and "reserve" seats at 7.00 in the morning to ensure they get their "spot", but frankly it isn't necessary. Having said that, the serenity pool, located at the upper level, and for adults only, is anything but serene. It was crowded, noisy and full of people posing. I'll take the kids pool thanks! If you want to choose a fairly low key, quiet spot, choose a cabana or chairs by the waterfall. Staff will put up shade umbrellas where they are required. Pool service is the best I have encountered and the pool side food and drinks were amazing. Suntan creams are available for all guests. Cold towels come around every once in a while and my water glass was constantly re-filled.

There are numerous activities which are available daily including water aerobics and yoga. Almost all activities are included in the room price so you do get good value (including the kids club). Having said that, the room price, food and drink is all expensive. The average cocktail is around $15 and main course meals vary from $30 to $45. The food was absolutely excellent everywhere we went. Our room also included a $90 credit for breakfast. This could be used towards room service breakfast or the restaurant breakfast. Go to Spago's. The food is incredible.

The concierge desk is extremely helpful and no problem was too big. They even took the trouble to double check some of my arrangements just to ensure everything would run smoothly. My husband required a spanner in the room. Someone came up within 4 minutes with a selection.

Be aware of the preferred taxi service that they do run the meter and don't try to give you a fixed price. More often than not, the meter will run cheaper than a fixed price.

Fantastic place, fantastic staff.... just fun, fun, fun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

2,988 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Korean first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I were married here 5 years ago. We come back once a year and this year I am disappointed. When you think Four Seasons you think the best of everything from food to service to cleanliness etc. We typically come in February. April, or May, but this time we came in July. We are parents and love kids, but the resort was overrun with kids everywhere and I agree with the other reviewer there is no room at the adult pool! I got to the pool to line up at 6:45, but there was a line so long that I almost didn't get a chair. We were going to splurge and get a cabana but those were sold out as well. I was more disappointed with the people. Usually everyone says aloha and is warm and looks you in the eye. But this time around the staff seemed like I was burdening them to get set up with a chair. People don't look you in the eye to say hello. Before they used to come around with all kinds of services like spraying Evan or passing out fruits etc. but even that was limited. Our room smelled like mildew the entire time. The cabana shop that has many treasures was overpicked. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went down to the beach and asked for a chair set up. The attendant said I needed to check in at the top before coming down to the beach. So I followed him back up the hill looked around and asked where do I check in. And he said right here. I looked at him dumbfounded because there was no one there but him. Then he said to follow him back down as he grabbed the chair. What was the point in that? He wasn't very nice about the whole thing and I was pleasant towards him. I couldn't believe that he made me walk all the way back up for no reason! I love this property and staying here, but Mr. Dell needs to retrain his staff. Otherwise there won't be a difference between the 4S and the other hotels along this strip. Really disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Aloha,

Greetings from Maui. Thank you for taking the time to submit your detailed review of our resort. I'm disappointed to hear about your experience with the staff, your room and the beach service. Your feedback is invaluable as we're always striving to maintain the highest level of service. If you would like to discuss your concerns with me, please feel free to contact me at Konrad.Gstrein@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Warmest Mahalo,

Resort Manager
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I planned a vacation for my wife's 40th birthday around America for one month and decided to finish our trip at the Four Seasons in Maui thinking we would save the best for last. No words could explain how excited we were to go there. Thinking our stay would be the highlight of our trip we couldn't have been more wrong.

Upon arrival we we were greeted by friendly staff and offered some refreshments while waiting to check in. First of all our room was not ready so we had to wait until we were told it was. We had specifically requested a king size bed, quiet room with an ocean view. We had booked this 6 months prior. Instead we were given a room with a twin queen size bed, overlooking the drive way entrance that was noisy from vehicles and buses coming and going to the resort all day and night. The so called ocean view was the roof top of houses and the other side of the main ocean that was barley visible. When i complained to the manager he moved us to a better room with a king size bed, courtyard and partial ocean view.

For anyone who has never been to the Four Seasons take note that the beach is not at the door step of the resort as it appears to look like in photos . The resort is elevated on a hill and you must zig zag your way around the pool area and restaurants and make your way down about a 200 meter walk. For some this can be disappointing. Also finding a side pool chair or under the umbrellas is not only a chore but good luck in finding one if you don't wake up with the chickens to line up at 7am and you still miss out and then need to go on a waiting list. A sleep in on vacation is ideal as part of your relaxation , not having to get up and go to war just to secure a chair. Being a large 5 star resort and not being able to accommodate for all guests is not very impressive. Most cabanas and chairs are already taken with no one sitting on them. And for those of you who think you got the best seat in the house under an umbrella be warned that come 12pm if the wind comes out the umbrellas all come down. So what was the best seat in the house is no longer in demand. The best time to be at the beach is in the early morning.There is no where to go out of the resort unless you hire a car, and for that reason the resort is crowded and noisy and we found it hard to relax.

The boiling point for me was when my wife and i decided to go for a walk on the beach and left our personal belongings on our chairs and went for exactly a 30 min walk only to return and find another couple in our seats and our personal items had been taken to security. When we spoke to a server asking him how could this happen his response was." sorry we thought you had left. " I could not believe this as there were so many other unattended chairs with personal belongings and no one seemed to remove them and give them away. This left me feeling pushed and shoved to move out of the way just to make room for other guests when no one seems to move and make room for us when initially it was really hard to find these seats. Im a paying guest just like everyone else. We were given our belongings except my i phone 5 headset was missing. The next day we were checking out they told us they found them and brought them up to our room but they were some one else's headset as they belonged to the i phone 4 so i just gave them back.

As for the serenity pool well we never got to experience that as it was reserved for a wedding. Another disappointment.

I have travelled and stayed at many resorts. There is no doubt that the Four Seasons is a stunning large resort with beautiful views. However i found the Four Seasons to be over rated and not worth the amount of money you pay. You can still experience the beauty of Maui with the beautiful beach and views at a less cost and better experience. Unfortunately the Four Seasons did not meet our expectations and we won't return nor recommend to family and friends as we didn't leave with pleasant memories.

Room Tip: .choose higher floors for less noise .choose rooms facing the ocean over the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for submitting your detailed review of the property, especially with regards to our beach and pool service. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me at konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212.

Best Regards,
Resort Manager
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Loved this place, but a bit expensive for my liking. It did live up, however, to its costs, despite having a permanent leak in the room of one of our children. The restaurant was, to say the least, fabulous&fantastic. Definitely a hotel i would come back to!!!

Room Tip: no leaks! check for them but im pretty sure you wont encounter any
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Four Seasons over Fourth of July weekend. While overall happy with my stay, for the price this hotel should be perfect and it isn't close. (If it were $400/night, I would give it a "very good.") 1) The exterior of the hotel is starting to show it's age. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful hotel, but I generally expect to be blown away by a Four Seasons and I wasn't blown away. 2) There are way too many rooms for the size of the pool area which results in it being incredibly over crowded. In order to get a lounge chair by a pool for the day, guests have to line up before 7 AM. I've never seen anything like this at any resort and frankly, it's unacceptable when paying close to $1000 a night. If I had known this was the case, I would have stayed elsewhere. I don't know how the resort solves this problem, but they should have enough pool space for their guests and they don't. Maybe they should allow guests to reserve a limited block set of hours by the pool in advance? And unless you are traveling with children, it is imperative that you get a seat at the adult pool because the rest of the grounds are overrun with children. 3) The food is not very good. The poolside restaurant is very expensive and only so-so. The food served poolside is downright bad. I would expect the food at a Four Seasons to be of the highest caliber, especially for what they charge, and it was disappointing. The breakfast buffet is fine, but nothing special and again over crowding is an issue. I had the brunch buffet at a Ritz the other day for about the same price and it was in a different league.

This all being said, the rooms are very nice. The staff is attentive and pleasant. The free car service available for trips within a mile is a nice perk and the beach outside of the hotel is very idyllic.

Unless you manage to get a great deal on a room, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha from Maui,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear about your concerns with our facilities and food service. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,
Frisco, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had another lovely 7 nights in paradise! We got warm "welcome home" greetings from staff and immediately relaxed into the exceptional beauty of the resort. From the bell hops and valet staff to the pool attendants to the concierges, everyone has the most warm friendly manner and ability to recall our names and preferences. The level of service throughout the resort sets the bar high for all other resorts. We had stayed on the club level in a previous visit, but preferred our sixth floor partial ocean view room this time. This resort is very busy and there is a sense of competition for getting into the Serenity Pool or getting ocean view or pool view chairs or cabanas. If you are not in line for the Serenity Pool by 6:30am for the 7am opening, you might not get a chair. People get up to reserve (with magazines more than bodies) chairs and cabanas out by the fountain pool or lawn by 6 or 6:30am! Very Type-A competition that leads to some stressful pushback from some guests on the nice staff. So, take advantage of the time difference, wake up early and have breakfast after you get your seats. The early light is gorgeous and the snorkeling is best early anyway! Just wanted to give special thanks to Jeff, Greg, and Rowena for making it such a fun return. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Before we booked our room, I debated between here and the Ritz-Carlton. We knew people who stayed at the Ritz in February and were very happy with it, so I just wasn't too sure. Ultimately, we chose the Four Seasons, and could not have been happier with our decision.

Arrival: Be prepared to be greeted each step of the way through the lobby by an outstanding staff. Farah checked us into our room and was just so kind.

Room: We had the mountain view room, and originally we booked it for about $945 a night, and then about 2 weeks before arriving, I rechecked prices, and the same room was only $645 a night! I called the reservation number and they adjusted to the cheaper price. I RECOMMEND YOU CHECK ROOM PRICES 1-2 WEEKS BEFORE ARRIVAL TO MAKE SURE PRICES HAVEN'T DROPPED! Our room was a PERFECT size for us, any bigger would have been useless. Bathroom was wonderful. Our room was cleaned each day, twice a day, and any mess we left behind ie: clothes on the floor, were picked up.

Gym: As runners, we LOVED getting our runs in in the early morning hours on the outdoor treadmills. It starts to get busy at around 7am.

Serenity Pool: HIGHLY recommend it for couples. BE WARNED: You must arrive by 6:45 at least to get in line to get a good spot. Don't expect to get there at 8 and have a spot in the shade. Try the pool sampler from the menu, you won't regret it. Rowena was a sweetheart, as were all the other attendants for that matter.

Family Pool: We actually enjoyed spending some time here as well, the kids don't bother us.

Dinner at Spago is a MUST, we went 3 times! We LOVED the breakfast at Duo every day, Ferraro's we did not love for dinner....lunch was better!

We stayed 9 days, total bliss. We will be back!

I am happy to answer any questions! Shoot me a message!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!