“We got off to a rocky start but they won us over!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   3900 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
fort worth, texas
“We got off to a rocky start but they won us over!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May 2013 for seven nights after spending a week in Kauai. Check-in was great....welcoming valet and front desk staff. We checked in at 3pm and our room was ready. We did get the 'complimentary' room upgrade from our whatahotel.com package. For us this meant an upgrade from a partial view to an oceanview room. Our room was 622 in the south tower. When we got off the elevator I started to worry as we walked down the hall further and further from the ocean. Our room overlooked the croquet lawn and the driveway down to the valet with a distant ocean view over the trees. I was disappointed, but the bellman told us we would see the sunset from our room so we decided it would be okay. Unfortunately, this did not turn out to be true. So later that night (after sunset) we called down to see if we could change rooms. Nothing available until the next day. We decided to stick with our room because we wanted to unpack and settle into our space. In the future, I would request a room change right away and ask to be on the opposite side of the south tower. I would guess that our room is at the lower end of the "ocean view" category.
The next day was a little rocky until we fully understood the chair policy at the beach and at the infinity pool. I won't go into the details of our experience but know that at the beach, they will set up chairs and an umbrella for you but you cannot leave the beach area. If you do, they will give your spot to someone else. This has to do with Hawaii state law...all beaches are public so hotels cannot set-up chairs/umbrellas unless they are in use.
The infinity pool was not worth the hassle for me...I prefer the beach. But my husband likes some pool time so he would normally go up to the infinity pool around noon or so and put our name on the list. There was usually a spot available for us after about two hours. They will call you when something is available. We were there during a slower time of the year though, so I imagine during busy times this wait might be longer.
I really enjoyed the quietness of our stay. The hotel was not busy and there were not a lot of kids around. I'm not sure I would enjoy the hotel as much during high season. We ate at both Spago and Ferraro's. Ferraro's has a great oceanfront location, but we did not enjoy the food or service. Spago food and service were great. If you have a food preferences/allergies/restrictions, just inform your server. They were very accomodating to us. Our hotel package included the daily breakfast buffet at DUO. This was a great hotel breakfast with a wide selection of hot and cold items. The regular cost of the breakfast buffet for 2 with tip is about $90, so it was very nice to have this included in our stay. Our big breakfast typically kept us full until dinner.
The beach is beautiful but ocean conditions were not ideal during our stay. Red flag most days with two days of a red/yellow flag. Poor visibility for snorkeling. This was not just our beach but the entire south side of the island due to a large south swell. On our last day, we were able to do the stand up paddle board tour ($85 each) through the water sports partner at the hotel. It was about two hours, just the two of us and Zach (the guide/instructor). Not much instruction but we got the hang of it. Zach was a good guy and helped us spot turtles swimming around or under us. He also took pictures and pointed out a few things about the island as we paddled south towards Makena.
I did a massage and facial at the spa. The staff is very professional and I enjoyed both services. The spa itself is small with just a steam room and showers/changing/locker area. Call ahead and about discounts/packages/availability during your stay.
Overall, the Four Seasons at Wailea offered us an amazing vacation experience. The hotel was very clean and beautiful, the staff was friendly and professional, service was prompt, and the location was ideal. I'm sure that I'm leaving out a lot of important details. Here are a few final things that hopefully someone will find useful:
1. Call ahead to the valet and they will have your car waiting for you with water/towels/whatever you need.
2. The hotel is in a good location for runners. The beach path is short and sometimes crowded but I recommend running on the main road in front of the hotel. The hotel provides a running map at check-in. The fitness center is also nice with an outdoor area for cardio equipment and an indoor weight room/training studio.
3. Try Monkeypod Kitchen right up the road for great happy hour specials and local/organic/sustainable food.
4. There is a 'photo ambassador' who takes sunset pictures of guests on Friday and Saturday nights on the lawn area (with your camera). We got some great pictures.
5. Enjoy everything the hotel has to offer. We have been home now for two weeks and can't wait to start planning a return trip.

Room Tip: Request an interior room in the south tower on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Korean first
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My family just returned from The Four Seasons Maui at Wailea last week! We had the best vacation of our lives! We stayed on the club level and the service that we had was over and above anything we expected! The hotel staff was amazing! We enjoyed spending time in the Serenity Pool and in the Fountain Pool. Our food was so good in the club lounge that we didn't even need to go out for dinner! We did venture to Ferraro's and Spago, both were absolutely amazing!

The hotel and property is so beautiful! The views from our room and the club lounge were gorgeous! I cannot wait to go back to the Four Seasons Maui!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Buckhannon, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Having been to Maui twice before we had certain expectations. Four Seasons Wailea exceeded them. They greeted us with a lai and a cooling drink. The room as partial ocean view with great big bathroom and comfy bed. Service here is the best. Super nice and sincere and lots of assistance. All you need to do is look in an direction and there is someone to help. Food at group buffets was good. Breakfast buffet was really good and though its expensive it truly is worth it. When we come back to this island we will stay here. Great beach area, great pool for family and adults and serenity pool is a view you won't want to miss.

Room Tip: If you have the money go for a full ocean view, but if you don't, that's ok the partial ocea...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NY Metro Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 weeks in May 2012 for our honeymoon. From start to finish this place was fabulous. We booked a car service from the concierge to pick us up from the airport, and one of the friendlies people I ever met, Sam, was the first one to greet my wife and me at the gate. He walked us down to pick up our bags and provided an overview of Maui and answered any questions we had. In the car, refreshing towels and bottled water were waiting for us. The driver was also very friendly, providing restaurant recommendations (I asked him where he eats and he provided some GREAT local spots) and also answered any other questions we had.

Check-in was quick and we were upgraded to a suite. Room was nice and big with a huge bathroom. A welcome gift was waiting for us from the hotel, congratulating us on our wedding. The pillows were very uncomfortable, but I found out from the resort's iPhone application that they offer something like 4-6 pillow options! I selected the one that was best for us and we never had a problem.

Service is amazing all over the resort from the restaurants to the pools and beaches. The concierge was also helpful by assisting with a car rental, booking day trips such as snorkeling, and recommending stops along the "Road to Hana". They also provided us a cooler and ice for our trip.

As other reviews have stated, the valets here are a great group of guys. They are friendly and very helpful. I told one valet the night before we were heading off to Black Rock beach and the next day the trunk of our Mustang was filled with beach chairs and towels. Also, they NEVER have their hands out for a tip. I often had to chase these guys down to give them their well deserved gratuity.

If I have one issue with this place it is, as other reviews pointed out, the pools. The main pool is way too small and does have children. The adult or Serenity pool is great. Rowena and Danny the bartender were so friendly (Danny makes a mean blueberry mojito). We elected to book the luxury cabanas 4 days during our stay. If you are planning on spending the whole day at the pool, or do not want to deal with the line at 7:00 AM, I say it is worth it, but book in advance. One of our days in the cabana, a very loud wedding party crashed the Serenity Pool. The servers and management let this go on for some reason. I let it go, but did contact hotel management after our stay. Mr. Kristen Whyly contacted me personally to extend his apology and also extended a more than generous offer to my wife on our next visit (which I hope will be soon). I do agree that a possible policy change may be needed for the Serenity Pool as I did witness chairs with belongs on them that were empty of people that went on for way longer than pool policy allows.

For dining we had:
Duo for breakfast - great and was included in our package.
Poolside lunch - average and expensive. Avoid the margarita pizza, especially if you are used to great pizza.
Ferraro's for dinner - expensive, but great. Try to get there right before sunset as you will have amazing views over Wailea beach.
We had room service 2 nights. Great service and food. They also allow you to order off menu.
We avoided Spago as many people told me it was not good.

Our worst day there was obviously the day we had to check out. This had nothing to do with the hotel, we were very depressed we had to leave. As a thank you, the staff sent up a parting gift for us. As we were about to leave, Sam was waiting for us by the car to take us back to the airport. We said our good-byes and we promised him we will return.

Thank you Four Seasons staff for making our honeymoon a true memorable experience. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel and grounds were even more amazing than the photos suggest. The service was the best I've experienced. Directly on a great beach stretch, walking distance to shopping/dining (not to mention the great spots within the hotel), and a short drive from local towns.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Loved the pools. Food good, but the big island Four Seasons was better. Great staff. Great beach. Loved the workout room. Great concierge and valet. No self parking. Comfy rooms and beds. Free cabanas!! Nice walk along beach to all the local resorts.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I've been staying at the Four Seasons the last 3 nights, leaving tomorrow, and it has been great. The hotel has large, beautifully appointed public spaces with a variety of bars and restaurants available - I've been to a few, and they've all been great.

The room was a full ocean view, which was better than I had booked, and was large and comfortable, and with easy access to the pool and beach.

I get what some of the reviews have meant about the pool area being small, but I've had no challenges it's getting a lounger at all times of day - sometimes on the lawn overlooking the beach, sometimes by the pool, and sometimes in one of the little hideaway areas around the property. Wherever I've been, I've been well looked after, for food, drinks and delightful chilled nibbles that they brought round. It's been a very slight shame that there are no loungers on the beach, but that had not caused any challenges.

It's also an easy walk to the other hotels in Wailiea, giving a wide range of restaurant choices, and to the shopping centre. But, I do think that you need to rent a car on Maui as there's not a huge amount to do without travelling quite big distances. If you do travel, Lahaina is well worth a visit - we browsed amongst art galleries, restaurants and shops - and also a helicopter tour. We didn't book the helicopter until the day, and got a great rate!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!