“BEAUTIFUL hotel - but very crowded” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Atlanta, Georgia
“BEAUTIFUL hotel - but very crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stay at luxury properties everywhere we go. And this resort was gorgeous. Amazing pool, beach, restaurants, and facilities. The service and the resort were truly top notch.

HOWEVER for $600/night I was not expecting the hotel to be as crowded as it was. Lawn chairs are packed together and people were arguing over them every single day. There was a "waiting list" to be at the upstairs pool, and if you were downstairs it was not an ideal setting for a romantic vacation as there were lots of kids so it was a bit noisy.

If you're looking for a "miami style" vacation that is more about the scene and less about relaxation then this is your place. If you would prefer the chill vibe of French Polynesia - i HIGHLY recommend the sister property (4Seasons Hualalai) on the Big Island.

Room Tip: Beautiful LARGE bathrooms - rooms were well appointed but nothing "special" for $600+ per...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Korean first
New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our honeymoon was made fabulous by the entire staff at the Four Seasons Resort. Arrival & Departure was simply seamless, easy, and never a ho and a hum. The Four Seasons, a place where "Everybody knows your name" We had the utmost best service and relaxing stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I chose four seasons maui for its reputed stress-free, top notch service and high class luxury experience. I've stayed at all inclusive resorts in Hawaii and Domican republic and was thoroughly disappointed by this resort. I expected more for the cost and brand name. All the amenities and nice touches seemed very mechanical and not personalized. It was also inconsistent. House keeping couldn't simply keep the coffee replenished in the room or service the room before 4 pm. Complimentary services like the newspaper or tennis shoe cleaning overnight required a call to the front desk in the morning in order to get it delivered despite following protocol for those services. We ate at all the restaurants on the premises and thought they all had their positive and negatives. If we hasn't bought the Duo buffet breakfast with the room, we would have skipped it. It's not that great. Enjoyed service best at Ferraro and least at Duo. Drinks were best at the the serenity pool. Steaks at Duo were some of the best steaks we've ever had but I really hated the service. We waited 10 minutes past our reservation time to be seated. The entire meal took over 2 hours just because of the long waits in between courses. They serve cotton candy when you receive the check which seems laughable and out of place considering the cost of the meal. All in all, for a romantic get away, you can do much better. We wish we had gotten a villa instead of spending so much for a mediocre vacation.

• Stayed November 2012
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Aloha from Maui,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear about your housekeeping and restaurant service concerns. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Konrad Gstrein
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My 8-year old son and I are on the flight home now and I thought this would be a good time to write a review about our stay at the Four Seasons Maui. He and I are returning home from a 11-day trip that was filled with exciting mini-adventures, as well as a ton of playing and relaxation at the resort. All made possible by the incredible staff at the Four Seasons.

In advance of our trip, I made a phone call to the concierge requesting help for our mini-adventures. We'd done research and decided that we wanted to tour the volcano on the island, do some ziplining, surfing, and parasailing (among other things). The concierge asked me some very detailed questions about my son and his personality, so she could best recommend the places to go/things to do. Not surprisingly, she was spot on. The preferred partners the Four Seasons has for each of these adventures is top notch. Our guides for zip lining, parasailing, and surfing were incredible...which made each mini-adventure even more memorable.

In addition, I heard from the hotel about two weeks in advance (a great CRM system, me thinks) about any special requests that I might have. Needless to say, I told them that I wanted to make this trip memorable for my son. Upon arrival, the staff had several personalized "goodies" for my son, as well as hand-written notes, etc. Didn't take a ton of effort, but that small detail is what makes the Four Seasons so special. My son was thrilled.

The resort itself is breathtaking. We spent much of our time around the hotel in the pool and on the beach and in the restaurants. The breakfast buffet is fun at DUO, but we found ourselves people watching and noshing on small plates at the Lobby Lounge quite often. If you go, ask for Carlie...she's the best server we've ever had. Knowledgable, fun, and incredibly hard working.

The complimentary snorkel gear is a nice touch, we spent 9 of our 11 days snorkeling. (That said, the resort could throw in a few other "freebies" considering the small fortune we spent.) But overall, the amenities are so nice that you just have to say "screw it...it's worth the money." As we made our way around Wailea, we were able to check out the competing properties (the Fairmont, the Grand Wailea, and the Marriott), and we we certain that we'd made the right choice. While the Four Seasons is a bit more expensive, it's less crowded, better serviced, and a more beautiful location than the other resorts. A truly incredible experience that we won't soon forget. In fact, we're already planning the return trip.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room on the property.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is for hotel snobs only. If you dont normally stay at five star hotels, no need to read.
We so enjoyed out trip to the Four Seasons Maui in 2004 that we wanted to come again. When traveling, we love to stay at the top spots and this was it in 2004!! So memorable. This time, We were traveling without the kids and were amazed at how many kids were here. The pool was very crowded and kids were in the adult hot tub also. Don't get me wrong, i like kids (I have three) but this was a "kid free" trip. Honestly, if we were to bring the kids, we would have stayed next door at the Grand Wailea which has amazing kids pools and activities. We were told to try the adult only serenity pool. When we got there, we were told there were no seats and the waiting list was 8 couples deep. They told us to come back tomorrow and reserve at 7 but we had a golf tee time at 8:10. We tried again after golf and again no seats.
When we stayed at the four seasons Aviara (when it was a four seasons) everyone knew your name. It was special. Here, we keep getting " who were you again?".
On the first night my husband ordered flowers, cheese, bread and fruit with a bottle of champagne. It was wonderful but then house keeping took the dried fruit I was saving but left the half empty glasses of flat champagne on the table. We would be gone 5-6 hours golfing (that the hotel concierge set up for us) and our room wouldn't be cleaned. 15 min after we're back they knock to clean the room. Most five star hotels know when to come clean and it's when they know you are gone.
We booked an ocean front room where we could see the ocean. They "upgraded us" to an ocean view suite. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful room but it faced the parking lot and it was directly above the loading dock so even at 9 PM, you'd hear the beeping of the trucks backing up. Thank goodness my phone has a noise maker app. But again, not what I expected from the four seasons.
The restaurants were good , the concierge people were great. Check in was nice. The free shuttle was great to the golf course or anywhere near by. the hotel was medium clean. Beer can in the bushes and dirty Kleenex in the elevator.
Maybe I've stayed at too many nice places (favs being Auberge du Soleil, Manele Bay Hotel and One and Only Palmilla) but I have high expectations This is why I say take my review with a grain of salt. Had I come here as a 25 year old on my first trip to a five star hotel, I would have been blown away.
Needless to say, I won't be coming to this property again but I'm sure there are other great places to stay

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

I am disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay, and I very much appreciate you sharing your feedback with us regarding your room location, housekeeping and service. We will take these into consideration for our training as we are always striving to maintain the highest level of service. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 808.874.2212 or konrad.gstrein@fourseasons.com.

Mahalo,

Konrad Gstrein
Resort Manager
TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

It's an amazing property. The pools were very nice. Food was the best on maui. Pool side kiddie messages.....that was a huge hit.
We used the in house babysitting service and it worked like a charm. Our 9 year old loved the pool, the game room, room service etc. she was in heaven.
We loved Spago and Ferarro. Both meals were great.
Of course 4 Seasons staff were all wonderful.
If there are any cons...with so many families with kids, it's too bad there isn't a better quick stop, snack store on property like most family resorts have.
Look...it's crazy pricey, I mean crazy! But, the best spot in Maui doesn't come cheap.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Any Four Seasons is a pleasure to visit, the Maui Four Seasons is the Flagship! This is the standard by which all other luxury resorts should be compared to. Every single employee was very nice, helpful and did their jobs well. No one was treated better than anyone else and the grounds are amazing. It has to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet! If I had to complain about something it would be that room service was a little slow. Thats not a big deal since EVERYTHING else was perfect! I strongly recommend this resort to anyone who likes sun, sand and the best of the best! One last thing, the breakfast in the morning is to die for!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!