“Amazing beyond belief!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing beyond belief!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just came back from The Four Seasons Maui at Wailea after spending 8 amazing nights there! It was my 1st time at a Four Seasons resort and I was blown away - the service, attention to detail and amenities are worth a million dollars!
The location of the hotel is right in the heart of Wailea on a really great beach. You can paddle board and snorkel anytime and see a bunch of turtles and marine life. The outrigger canoe trip that is free at the FS is great - the guides give you a little bit of history about HI and show you some great spots to check out. If you like taking walks, the beach stretches all the way to the Grand Wailea (which is huge!) or you can take a nice path to the Fairmont along the cliffs.
The cabanas all over the resort are the best - you do have to wake up super early to get the best spots, but honestly there isn't a bad spot in the entire hotel. The cabana staff will service you all day - they bring water constantly, cold towels, as well as small snacks throughout the day (pineapple, Popsicles, brownies, rice krispy treats - all for free). You can also order food and drinks from a menu and even get spa treatments while u lounge. They even have sun block that you can use all day long - just in case you don't have yours!
The rooms are also excellent - we had the lower tier garden view room and it was spectacular. We were only able to see a small piece of ocean but who cares - the hotel is so great you don't spend anytime in your room anyway. The bed was super comfy and everything was extra clear. Housekeeping came to the room 2 to 3 times per day - constantly folded and changed towels, replenished toiletries, re-made the bed - they even folded our clothes that we just threw on the bed. They even give you fresh slippers almost every day!!!!
The food at the restaurants is very fresh and well prepared - my husband and I are foodies who are very critical. There wasn't a single dish we didn't like. Everything is expensive but so is everything everywhere in HI - the food prices at the resort were not any higher than a lower tier hotel or a great local restaurant.

I really can't say enough good things about the Four Seasons. While it is expensive, you definitely get a lot for your money and you will feel pampered like never before! I can't wait to visit one of their other tropical resorts in the near future!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (922)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our first visit to Maui and we are so glad that we chose The Four Seasons. We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui for 10 nights from end-Sept to beginning-Oct and had the most amazing time – we couldn’t fault the resort.

Before we had arrived the staff at Four Seasons contacted me to ask if there was anything they could do to make our stay more comfortable. They arranged for a car to collect us from the airport and take us to the hotel and we were welcomed by the bell staff with fresh flower lei’s, cold towels and drinks.

We had booked a Mountain View room but upon check-in we were offered an upgrade to a partial sea view for an additional $20 per night which we accepted (a saving of $150 per night). Our room was wonderful and the staff brought us a complimentary bottle of champagne and card to welcome us to the resort.

All of the staff were helpful and welcoming, nothing was too much hassle for them. The facilities at the resort were second to none. The beach was perfect and as soon as our feet touched the sand, the staff were setting up loungers for us. We made full use of the complimentary water sports on offer – we snorkelled on our first day and came face to face with a sea turtle just a few meters from the beach. It was fantastic. The waves later on in the afternoons were perfect for boogie boarding and boards were available to use for free. We also had a go at stand-up paddleboarding and were thankful for the instruction from the guys on the beach.

We ate lunch at the poolside almost every day – the food was the best poolside food I’ve ever experienced and was reasonably priced. The service was top notch and the staff were very attentive. The four cheese pizza was incredible – highly recommended! Whilst at the pools the staff would come around with complimentary fruit, ice-pops, brownies, water etc. All three pools were fantastic, the serenity pool had amazing views and the underwater music and swim up bar were real treats.

In the evening we would spend time at the bar where we enjoyed the variety of entertainment – live music and dancing as well as the blowing of the Conch. After a couple of days the staff remembered us and our drinks order. We ate at the bar on numerous occasions and the food was restaurant quality.

When we were feeling too lazy to walk the 15 mins to the Shops at Wailea we were driven there in style in one of two of the resort’s complimentary Cadillac Escalade’s.

When we wanted to book a trip or excursion all we had to do was speak with the concierge staff and they took care of absolutely everything – and we were able to charge everything to our room.
After 10 nights we didn’t want to leave. Returning to our room for the final evening we were greeted with a platter of fresh cream cakes and a lovely card from the staff. Even as we were getting into our taxi to leave the bell staff couldn’t do enough for us and handed us bottles of water for the journey.

I could go on and on about how fantastic this resort and its staff are but you really need to see if for yourself to believe it.

The Four Seasons made us fall in love with Maui and all it had to offer. We will be back and when we return will be staying at The Four Seasons.

Room Tip: If you can, pay that little extra for a room with a view. The higher floors have more natural light...
Lacey, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Just returned from celebrating our 30th anniversary and I must say that I miss it already! As other reviews have stated the customer service is beyond compare. The employees at this resort must take happy pills before going to work each day. If eye contact is made with any employee at this resort, they smile and acknowledge you with a warm Aloha. The resort was very busy when we were there, but we never had any trouble getting a cabana at the main pool, even at 10:00 in the morning. The ocean front cabanas are an exception....you must get there before 7:00. Service is fabulous at the pool...the men and women working there are great! My husband and I both had massages that were among the best of our lives. Book your trip through Whatahotel. Free room upgrades when available, $85.00 toward breakfast each day plus an additional $100.00 food and beverage credit. Well worth the splurge for a special occasion.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had the most relaxing week ever. If planning a couples VACA I recommend sept when all the kids are gone. The staff and service make this place stand out among all others as a gem in Wailea.

Wife was happy as a clam during her 2nd trimester. Happy wife=Happy life!

La Jolla California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It would be foolish of me to repeat what everyone else has said about this remarkable property but I absolutely agree with every positive statement anyone has made about the Four Seasons Wailea. From beginning to end, this extremely well-oiled and impeccable management and staff were, frankly, the finest I have ever witnessed and I've stayed at the FS in Paris, the Ritz in Paris, Riviera Maya (BUGS, no bugs in Maui that I could see), etc.,and La Costa in Carlsbad, CA, so I have some frame of reference. The minute you begin communicating with them to make your reservation, you are treated with the utmost importance but not with a feeling of machine-like organization. It's as if you are visiting a very discerning and caring close friend. They take your scattered, unsure requests and put together a concise and clear itinerary that was extremely helpful. There are no surprises, which, to me, is priceless.

From the pickup at the airport (I used the taxi service $70 in $50 out and they bring a town car and I got a great mini-tour of the area, so I personally felt it was worth it, especially for someone traveling alone), to getting my bags/having someone waiting for me, and greeting at the hotel, it was flawless. Absolutely flawless. I know I'm gushing, but you just can't help it. To receive the beautiful lei, cool hand towel and refreshing drink while checking in? Come on!!!! How sweet is that?

I also took part in the snorkeling tour with Kai Kanani Snorkel group and chose the Ultimate Deluxe Snorkel. It was a blast, Super Dave, our host/driver/guide extraordinaire and the entire staff - Mahalo! It was spectacular and the day was enjoyable whether in couples or singles, so if you're concerned about being alone, don't be. Not for a second. They walk you through everything. I have snorkeled before, but many hadn't and everyone had a blast. We even saw a few turtles. The big ones! The lunch was satisfying and fun; it's a great opportunity to see the island, get into some super water, and meet great people. We have a lot here in SoCal/San Diego, but not water that warm, so it was a real treat to get in without a wetsuit. (It was in the low $100 area)

In addition, I joined the Te Au Moana Luau-Wailea Marriott. At first, I was hot, kinda tired and the thought of walking over was not at the top of my list, but I'm so glad I went. I met the neatest couples which is always awkward as the fifth wheel, but no worries. And it's not cheesy at all. The pig roast was delicious, the dancing superb and well worth the price of admission (also around $110??). If you'd like to see the video taken of the fire dancer, it is here:

I also used the spa services at the FS and they were beyond my wildest dreams. I had a regular 50-minute Lomi massage to get my body rebalanced and de-water-retentive from the flight the day after arrival and it was well worth it. I used 'Court' and he was great for those who want the gentle treatment. The only funny thing is that their spa slippers are ginormous. I wear a 7 1/2 and it was like wearing my late husband's but it was no big deal. If you do have foot issues, I'm certain you can wear your own flip flops.

In addition, because I've had chronic neck and chest pains that no doctor has been able to diagnose, the craniosacral therapy did the trick and I wish I could remember the wonderful lady who performed the therapy, but I've lost the biz card (it begins with an M). However, within about 10 minutes, I could actually feel the toxins release and the pain was gone. I need to continue this, I know, but at least I know it's not my heart or what have you. Remarkable. Absolutely remarkable. Pricey? Yes. That was, for 90 minutes, about $300. The first massage, I believe, was in the $150 range. Rarely do I spend that kind of money, but it was worth it and really not over the moon expensive, compared to southern California! It's spotlessly clean, has a steam room and shower and all amenities and managed in the same exacting and perfect FS style. All soaps, shampoos, hair dryers, of course are available.

I also used the services of the Orchid Salon. It was the only klunker in the visit, but I want to make this crystal clear. The Orchid Salon is NOT managed by the FS and it shows. They had no pricing for a shellac manicure, but I was given a price quote for a shellac manicure via email and pedicure of $150 w/tip and upon leaving was handed a bill for almost $300. I complained, the manager of the Salon called and was not consumer friendly in the slightest, so I went to the Four Seasons' management. Please be very careful with this place, especially if you are depending upon them to be upfront and capable if you are planning any kind of special event. There are only two chairs for hairstyling that I could see. One spa chair and one table for manicure. I live in probably one of the most expensive areas of southern California and this was about par with one of the lower end manicure salons, so to charge $300 for a sub-par experience was outrageous as was their demeanor. If you can, try to find another place. Two days after my experience, I ran into two bridesmaids who were crying over their ruined hair and the understandably angry bride. It was a disaster and their hair, which was supposed to be a french twist, a la Grace Kelly, looked more like the B-52s. Just be careful! Or try to find someplace else, if you can.

Here's what the Four Seasons did for me after my complaint. They credited me $150 to honor the original quote and then? They made last-minute reservations at Spago for me, and upon returning to my room, there was a chocolate fondue with the trimmings along with a note of apology. Special thanks goes to the wonderful Sharon who handled this so beautifully. Excellent management style, Sharon!!!!! Thank you again. You saved the trip for me, not that it all wasn't magnificent. But, this was truly not the FS's fault but you and your staff stepped right up. Amazing. You deserve a big round of applause and a raise, if you haven't already! Mere words cannot describe what a difference you made with that whole fracas.

A few tips, that I'm not sure are here:

You do not need any power adapters for any of your electronics, except one, if you're an Apple or Blackberry user. There is a BB dock on the bedside table. The only power cord you will need is for your iPad, I believe. It's the only one I used anyway. iPod/iTouch are covered and anything that uses the same port for a Blackberry. For your cameras and so on, I'm sure you'll need those, but I only used the outlet to power my Canon's battery. To be honest, I don't think I tried putting my iPad on the docking station, so it would be wise to ask in advance.

For whatever reason, the 5th floor, my floor, did not have wifi because of a glitch in getting a part from the mainland. However, I was there to detox from electronics, so all I really had to do was go out on the lanai and my iPad worked just fine. I know, I know. I blew my intentions. Everywhere else there is free wifi and it's fast. The business center is extremely helpful but I only used it twice, but from everything I could see it's full-service all the way.

There is no USA Today, but you can get the NYTimes and WSJ faxed to you every day to keep abreast of things. There's another local newspaper, but I cannot remember it. All you need to do is let the concierge know which newspaper you'd like and your fax is there immediately in the morning.

I chose breakfast in my room every morning but there is a perfectly delightful place on the Lobby floor, I believe, or Lower Lobby (not sure) to have breakfast. It's worth it to me to shower, relax and eat before heading out and I never spent more than $30+ (keep in mind gratuity is included) and they bring the most delicious breads, juices and fresh-pressed tea EVER. If you like granola, save a little $ and ask for a half order. The regular order is big, eating man size serving. Their yogurt tasted homemade, but I didn't ask. It was delicious, though with the fresh berries and totally yummy guava juice that they will blend with anything (pineapple, mango, you name it). Sipping my tea on the lanai was the best way to start any day ever.

You do not need to bring:

Hair dryer
Shower cleansing wash/bubble bath
Cotton pads (not balls, pads for makeup removal, which I never wore much anyway)
Suntan Lotion. A qualifier here. For any outing you will need at least one high end spectrum lotion, but there are free suntan lotions of varying strengths everywhere and by every pool, sauna, you name it.
Tea. I don't drink coffee and as soon as I mentioned it, a tea pot was delivered with decaf teas, honey and fresh lemon every morning. No charge. They gave me tons, so I could have tea before bed; it was lovely.
There is bottled water everywhere at no charge, but I did bring my refillable bottle for walks just in case.

I swear on a stack of Beatle records, I can't think of one thing that the FS staff could not help me with. On the night of my dinner at Spago's at sunset, which was really nice (I had the pork chops - yum), I had my black silk wrap but the stupid wash/brand tag was hanging out, so when I went up to get my table at the entrance I just took a chance and asked if she had any scissors. She whipped 'em out like Matt Dillon. Again, amazing.

Personally, I had no problem getting into the serenity adults only pool area and they do everything they can to get you a place in the shade or sun. And I was surprised because the place was loaded with honeymooners. These were probably my most relaxing moments. Simply go to the concierge or find the serenity pool cabana and ask them to put you on a waiting list and they will call you on your cell phone when a seat opens up. There is a swim up bar, endless pool with a view to live for and just a great atmosphere. Snacks/food (I recommend the shrimp). What really impressed me was that there was just one time when I was there that a group of four got a little rowdy and I don't know how the staff did it without offending, but they came over and within a few minutes the four of them were on their way either to dinner or some other place. It is a place of quiet and reflection and the staff are on task. Just a note: at the manager's reception I had the opportunity to speak with an employee, off duty and he noted that he felt that one of the reasons for the excellent staff is that this particular Four Seasons has the best management on any of the islands. Stellar perks and unless you mess up, they are treated very well. It's quite evident.

In addition, I also splurged on a foot and neck rub by the waterfall area that is for children, and I am usually 'that woman' who can't stand screaming children, but the parents here handled their children with proper etiquette and concern for others when adults were around; at least on my trip and you can avoid the whole thing by going to the main pool or serenity area. The waterfall is probably one of the best water massage places after waking up in the morning. It became my routine anyway.

One thing that is not really a negative, but is useful for any resort/hotel stay. My last name is a very popular one so I'm going with that being the reason, but I reviewed my bill and found charges that were not mine. The FS checkout staff took charge of it immediately and I was credited. They will also hold a certain amount, for me it was $200/day plus room charges on your cc at check-in. If you don't use that $200 each day or cumulatively, they will credit you immediately, which was my case.

The daily artists that come around each day from, I believe, about 9-ish to 1-ish are some of the nicest, least pushy people you can meet. And maybe I was ripped off. I don't know, but I found some one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces that will be keepsakes in my family for years. The Turtle Lady especially. Amy Wakingwolf's turtles are adorable. www.wakingwolf.com

This brings us, of course, to shopping. I never did make it over to the major shopping at Wailea because my purpose for this trip was to regroup after my mother's lengthy illness (3 years of caregiving) and death in June, which came on the heels of my husband's death a scant few years earlier, so it was a time of reflection and TLC. Boy, oh boy, did the Four Seasons deliver. I cannot thank them enough for every attention to detail and how much more rested, centered and peaceful I became just being there and under their tender care. But, the little shops at the Four Seasons were just fine and you couldn't find a more friendly and eager to help bunch anywhere. So, if you forget something or want a ruana, the Cabana is just fine or the little shop across the way to get little things you may have forgotten, such as toothpaste, macadamia nuts (many flavors), USA Today, and so on.

There is an expensive jewelry shop, but I only stepped in to discuss pearls and I know I happened to get the clerk on a bad day. She was slightly short-fused and borderline argumentative, so I just left. This is also a place that is affiliated, yet not owned or managed by the FS and, again, it shows. I tried to explain about the pearls I was looking for and she interrupted and I never really did get the answers I was trying to find, but, again, everyone has a bad day.

There aren't enough superlatives for this place. All i can really say is, if you can afford it (I paid roughly $500/nite), DO IT. It's an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

One last thing. On my flight from Honolulu to Maui I met a local who graciously brought me to what is referred to as The Healing Spot. It is, apparently, the place where the last king of Maui lived and I was gratefully gifted with the opportunity to float in the waters near this magical spot among the lava rock. I'm not a big believer in voodoo and understand the power of suggestion, but when I floated in that water, and a slight rain fell down, it washed away many tears. So, many thanks to Bruce and his lovely wife for bringing me there. I am truly altered in a positive way and when Life hits and of course it already has, I remember that place and immediately chill down.

Room Tip: I had a garden room, which offered a just fine view of the ocean. I chose a less expensive garden v...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you have a bad back,the newly installed pillow top mattresses will not help you, they are far too soft. Had a bed board put in, still not help. They do not have any firm mattresses to substitute, something they should definitely do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Four Seasons at Wailea is expensive but very much worth it for a special trip. The staff is very attentive and helpful. Wailea Beach is a great place to swim and for ocean sports. The hotel rooms are extraordinary, especially those with ocean views. All the ammenities that come with the stay make it worthwhile. My wife and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and the front desk staff made us feel like honored guests. Well worth a visit. We will be back.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, and pay the extra for an ocean view - at least from the lanai
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!