“Not Just My Favorite Maui Resort - My Favorite Anywhere Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Cool
“Not Just My Favorite Maui Resort - My Favorite Anywhere Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is one in a series of seven reviews for seven hotels and resorts I stayed at during a recent trip to Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) in the month of May 2012. This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This review is for the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea in Wailea, Maui, Hawaii. I have over 200 additional photos on my site.

Property: Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Location: Wailea, Maui (Hawaii)
Address: 3900 Wailea Alanui, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753
Phone: (808) 874-8000
Website: www.fourseasons.com/maui
Room Type/Class: Ocean View (Rooms 312, 386)
Date: May 16-17, 2012
Booking Source: CapitalOne Miles via Travleocity
Overall Rating: 5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

As with the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa, this is one of the seven properties visited in this trip that I had stayed at previously, though it has been several years since those visits. Unfortunately, the room rates at the Four Seasons Resort Maui have increased substantially in the past few years, so I actually used miles/award travel to book this stay for my one night stay at the hotel.

Having said all of that, with all of my travels in and out of the United States, the Four Seasons Maui remains my all-time favorite place to stay – it is simply spectacular and incomparable. It is a Four Seasons resort, with the expected level of service, comfort, and amenities, and, in addition, it is in Maui (my favorite Hawaiian island) and beachfront on Wailea, with my favorite beach on Maui. So if money or cost is no object, I give my highest recommendation for staying here – it will not disappoint.

As one would expect, the Four Seasons offers valet parking (as well as self parking), and the cost for valet is an additional $20/night.

With this trip, and my one night stay in order to review a different property each night, the staff at the Four Seasons were kind enough to accommodate an early check-in and late check-out, which I greatly appreciate.

Even if you do not stay at this property as a guest, I highly recommend a visit to one of several on site restaurants and exploring the grounds. It is a gorgeous hotel with amazing views and decor.

I did end up having two different rooms during my stay, so will describe and include photos of both. The reason for the two rooms is that in the late afternoon with the first room, whoever was staying in the room above had multiple people jumping up and down for hours. As I was on a skewed schedule and trying to catch a couple hours of sleep at the time, I had contacted the front desk and they were quick to accommodate me by relocating me not only to another room, but a room in another building. As one will find in staying at a Four Seasons, their level of service cannot be beat, and they always go above and beyond without a quibble. And if a job requires one person, they are just as likely to send two, as with my move (with my one piece of luggage!), they sent to bellhops to assist in showing me to my new room.

So Room #1 was actually much nicer in the rooms I had stayed in with visits in past years, though I remember at my last stay with them they were undergoing renovations. This first room was pretty spacious, and included two beds, a couch and coffee table, a full desk, and a walk out patio that opened to a large lawn area. The room also included an empty mini-fridge and electronic sage, was well as a coffee maker. The large bathroom featured a large soaking tub, standing shower with glass doors, and double sinks.

Backing up a little bit, and illustrative of the Four Seasons touch… the first time I had returned to Room #1, waiting on the coffee table were some incredible desert dishes… never requested, never billed for them. They just tend to give out little things like this, which makes for such an enjoyable experiences.

Walking over to Room #2, I had an expectation of the same room in a different building (when I spoke with the front desk over the phone, I told them the kind of room or level or room was not of importance, as I was traveling alone and staying just the one night).

Upon entering the room, and as you will see in the photos, it was a completely different style and layout of room, and I assume an upgrade, as it was larger and featured not one but two separate walk out balconies – one with loungers, one with a table and chairs.

In the entry area was a glass top table with four chairs, then a family room style area with television, couch, and coffee table, and a separate sleeping area with a large king-sized bed. The adjoining bathroom was enormous and also had the soaking tub and stall shower with glass door.

But for me, the rooms are secondary to the grounds, the resort common areas, the pool area, and of course the beach.

I would highly, highly recommend trying the full breakfast buffet, which is of course expensive (I don’t remember the exact charge as my final bill shows with tip, but including 20%+ tip it was about $38). It is just spectacular, and I even included some photos in this review, which still do not do it justice. I had the buffet at the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa the following morning and there is absolutely no comparison. Even if you are staying at another resort, it is worth the trip to drive over to experience this breakfast buffet – it will be the best that you ever have.

The main pool for the resort is actually modestly-sized compared with some of the neighboring resorts, such as the Grand Wailea adjacent. But that is in some ways, from my perspective, a good thing, as it is a much more relaxed environment. There is also a child-designated pool, and up on another side of the property, a (new to me since my last visit) infinity pool with built in bar which is an awesome addition.

One of the biggest draws to the property for me are the very comfortable and covered cabanas. Unlike other resorts which charge $40-$80+ a day for such an amenity, at the Four Seasons this is included in the cost of the room. Also, looking at my bill, the Four Seasons is the only resort of the seven I stayed at with this trip that did not charge a resort fee.

But my suggestion is to spend the first full day with a stay at the Four Seasons just having the buffet, and spending the day in one of the pool adjacent larger cabanas. There are also some isolated cabanas going up the hill with spectacular views, but they are not as spacious and comfortable as the ones around the main pool area (and many do face the ocean, but not being as elevated as the isolated ones, the views are not as good).

You will receive as much attention from staff as you would like when using the cabanas, which includes direct service of food and drinks off their menu (photos also included in this review of the menu and some of the drinks).

There is also the restaurant adjacent to the pool area – Ferraro’s – and making use of this is a nice way to break up the day and have a different vantage point. And, like with the DUO breakfast buffet, the food is just incredible. I have also included a few photos of two of my favorites – a chicken quesadilla and a turkey club with turkey bacon.

For me, Maui is about relaxing, and no other property better facilitates this than the Four Seasons.

The foundation for this, though, is the beach and ocean adjoining the rear of the property. It is my absolute favorite “relaxing” beach on Maui (with Black Rock adjoining the Sheraton being my other favorite, for “activities”). The sand is seriously like baby powder on your feet, and the ocean has gentle waves and is warm like bath water. It is just spectacular.

You will see from my photos that you are rewarded with stunning sunsets. And that one night, I also was lucky enough to witness an authentic Hawaiian wedding ceremony on the beach at sunset. Does it get more romantic than that? Even if I have to enjoy it vicariously, who can beat it? It is actually a public beach, but I’ve always found it to be sparsely populated, and if there is a hint of wind, practically deserted. Funny enough, it seems like the sands is even cleaner in front of the Four Seasons than in front of the neighboring Grand Wailea side, but maybe it is my imagination, though given my experiences, I wouldn’t be surprised if Four Seasons staff are out on the beach in the middle of the night sifting for the smallest of debris.

In any event, this is just a spectacular resort, and I wish everyone could experience it at least once, as the stay is definitely what you make of it, but holds opportunity for some really wonderful and unforgettable experiences.

Room Tip: I suspect all of the rooms are good - just depends on the number of guests and needs for size and vi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Korean first
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We just spent 5 days at this resort and it was amazing. Definitely recommend it. At their main pool and beach they have chair service where the set you up with towels, water and an umbrella for free (lots of resorts charge for chairs and even small cabanas which Four Seasons did not (unless you're at their Adults only pool which we didn't go to.) They also walk around each day with refreshments like popsicles, frozen fruit, rice crispy treats, etc and hand them out for free. Their food and drinks are pretty expensive (mai tais were $15) but what do you expect in a location like this!? Our room was oversized - both the bathroom and bedroom - plenty of space. Would definitely come back here - it's definitely cream de la cream!

Room Tip: Do not eat breakfast here unless you're prepared to spend $80+ for 2 people. I recommend going i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one week on our honeymoon and it was the best week of our life! The staff are so friendly - from the initial welcome with fresh pineapple and a refreshing drink, to the daily hello and remembering our names every time we arrived for breakfast! The service is impeccable (as you would expect) and unobtrusive - if you need help, there is always someone available, but if you would like to be left alone then that's fine as well. We also received a complimentary bottle of champagne on our first night, which was a lovely touch.

The rooms are so comfortable, you'll be content to just stay there for your whole stay! The bed is very comfortable; you can select from 6 different pillows by contacting the concierge, as well as requesting a foot spa with lavender bath salts if you have tired feet; there are 2 padded deck chairs out on the balcony; the TV has an amazing array of channels to choose from; and the bathroom is HUGE with a built in radio!

The facilities at the Four Seasons are fantastic - our favourite rooms were the games room (free internet terminals, shuffleboard, board games, big screen TV, Ninteno Wii, Guitar Hero, Xbox 360 and Playstation....) and the gym (open air, with fresh towels and water provided). The outdoor pool and jacuzzi is amazing and open reasonably late (until 9pm from memory), and the adults only pool area is a brilliant idea if you want to just relax. The restaurants are amazing and we had lunch at Ferraro's included in our accommodation (via WhataHotel) and the meal was fabulous. The grounds are stunning with beautiful gardens and each evening there is a short ceremony to light the torches.

There is also a shuttle that can take you to the nearby shopping centre, as well as to any restaurant or attraction within a set radius, which is VERY handy if you don't have a car!

In short, we loved every second of our stay here and were incredibly sad when we had to leave. If we could have stayed longer we definitely would have done so! Instead we are saving up to hopefully return sometime in the near future :-)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Maui in April 2012. After carefully weighing the Ritz, Fairmont and other luxury properties for our honeymoon, we could not have been happier with our decision to stay at the FS.

Prior to our arrival, the concierge team was promptly followed up via email with recommendations for spa treatments, activities and restaurants.

Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted and provided with leis and the bellmen directed us to the check in desk. We were upgraded to a garden view room, and were welcomed with a bottle of champagne on the rocks with a nice welcome note from the hotel manager. The rooms were very spacious and my wife loved the huge bathroom!

We made reservations at each of the FS restaurants – Spago, Duo and Ferraro’s.
The albacore tuna at Spago was the best tuna I have ever had. It was pan seared and melted in your mouth. I highly recommend it. On the downside, we felt a little cramped at Spago, but otherwise no complaints.

From Thursday – Saturday, Duo offers an all you can eat raw bar, with lobster claws, tails, king crab legs, tuna poke and various types of oysters. Well worth the money. Breakfast at Duo was included in our room rate, and it was one of the best breakfast spreads I have ever had. Custom made omlets, waffles, pancakes and just about anything else you could ask for! We didn’t want to leave the hotel in the morning just because we wanted to enjoy the relaxing breakfast at Duo.

Ferraro was the most romantic restaurant, which we saved for our last night, and I’m glad we did. Ferraro’s is situated right at the edge of the beach and offers the best views of the sunset. The wait staff recognized it was our honeymoon and offered exceptional service. The Italian food was delicious.

While I read many posts about the serenity pool, I didn’t find much value in waiting in line. We tried it one day and were surprised at the number of people talking on their cell phones. So we opted for the hill between the main pool and the beach, where we essentially had our own private nook. The landscaping made us feel like we were (almost) the only ones in the area, and the pool staff checked on us every 15 minutes – brining us the awesome FS sunscreen, cold towels, water, ice pops, and many other treats. We were a quick walk to the pool or the beach.

While you’re at the hotel, don’t forget to sign up for the outrigger canoe and free snorkel rentals. The outrigger fits 6 total, including 2 FS guides. We were able to see much more of the island, including several sea turtles – one of which swam right under our boat.

If you’re a fisherman, Maui has very calm waters relative to Kauai – so if you’re interested in deep sea fishing – I would go off the Maui shore in the morning before the afternoon waves start.

The only real complaint(s) I have is the cardio equipment could be updated – the treadmills and ellipticals were not up to par and were starting to rust. The TVs did not work very well either. Also, it's a quick fix, but the computer in the game room did not have an updated browser or Adobe Flash, so we we couldn't view our wedding photos!

Otherwise, we don’t have enough good things to say about the hotel – from the cleanliness, romance, excellent hotel staff…it puts all other hotels to shame. It has a lot of intangibles – proximity to the Shops at Wailea next door, perfect sunset views, evening music in the lobby, comfort of the pool chairs – the list could go on. We definitely plan to make the trip from NC again to celebrate a future anniversary!

Room Tip: Get the mountain view and or upgrade to the garden view - you won't be in your room long!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Very clean rooms and kind staff. The beach was amazing and their pools were great as well. If I had to nit pick, I would say the food at the hotel was the worst part...

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a water view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Upon entering the Four Seasons Maui, you are warmly greeted with leis, and then escorted to the front desk staff who warmly greets you while the person who placed the lei around your neck hands you a washcloth for your face/ hands and a delicious glass of punch. Paradise begins!!

The "bellman" is certainly not your typical bellman. He gave us a tour of the hotel, including the lounge area, teasing our daughters about Hawaiian dancing lessons during cocktail hours. Our daughter brought a basketball with her in hopes to get some practice time in. Yep...they exceeded our expectations again! There was a basketball hoop just down the hallway from our guest room..right next to the tennis courts.

The beach and pool were amazing!! The staff frequently check on us, offering us water (& immediately filled our glass once we took a sip or two), brownie bites, popsicles (you choose your favorite flavor)..wow!!

The restaurants were, again, unbelievable. We ate at two restaurants at the hotel and never had a bad meal!

We walked to the Marriott for a luau one night....would not do that again. It was raining before the luau began so they did not know if they were going to have it. The Marriott had no indoor room, so they handed us towels & raincoats. Food was wet....could have done without the luau. Ate at Sarento's on the Beach for dinner one night. The view there (right on the water) was beautiful but the food was terrible!! Maybe we were just spoiled by the Four Seasons restaurants. We should have just eaten at their hotel each night.

If you are going to stay in Maui..this is the hotel for you!! Hoping to visit again someday!!

Room Tip: Ocean front or ocean view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Only the subpar fare prevents us from rating this property as excellent, but it's close.

Room Tip: Rooms closer or facing the ocean are best.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!