“The best of the best....” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Calgary
“The best of the best....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

My wife, 16 y/o son and I spent an outstanding first week of Dec at the resort. I have to say while we have grown to have very high expectations when paying premium dollars for 5 star locations, the team at Four Seasons Maui met and exceeded our scale. Extremely clean rooms and resort in general with exceptionally attentive staff. Pricey perhaps, but left feeling we received outstanding value for our money. We will be back.....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Had the pleasure of staying at the Four Seasons Maui for 10 nights. This was a special wedding anniversary, and luxury was a requirement for our stay. This hotel did not disappoint us in the luxury department! Our room was on the top floor and close to the ocean ... which gave us gorgeous views from our balcony. The cleanliness of our room was top-notch, and fittings were amazing. The only blemish on an otherwise perfect stay was our dinner at the Spago restaurant. What a disappointment! Mediocre food and pretentious staff ... not a good combination. Overall though, can't wait to go back to the Four Seasons Maui ...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NY/NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011 via mobile

Everything you would expect from a Four Seasons property. Well kept, great service, and highly rated restaurants. Only one complaint.. Duo the top rated restaraunt on trip advisor in Wailea, is closed for renovations from after thanksgiving till mid Dec. Have to say Capische is great alternative for a top notch dining experience off the property. Four seasons car service will drop you off and pick you up. The Concierge desk is very helpful for info and planning of excursions. I wouldn't recommend the Polynesian adventure tour company. The daily breakfast/brunch is overwhelming. Everything you could think of to eat was there. Overall excellent resort, would love to go back, but the flight from the east coast is long :(

• Stayed November 2011
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

The staff is superb, the Resort is gorgeous, the location is perfect. Relax and enjoy!!!!!

Room Tip: if you want the best of the best ask for the club room level, it's the top floor with tons and t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I most enjoyed the recreation activities - tennis lesson, feldenkreis, meditation, yoga on the beach... so much that I really didn't even leave the hotel to explore Maui. I'll have to do that next time. I was content with living in luxury 24-7 during my stay, and they had upgraded me to a huge suite. There was the most incredible sunset on the beach. I really didn't want to leave, I'd like to live at the Four Seasons.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

The service and setting are perfect. If you plan to stay in West Maui, this hotel is in league above the rest.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My fiancé and I recently stayed at the resort. Upon check in, we were greeted with Leis and warm towels, and a little cup refreshing mint tea. We were upgraded upon check in to a wonderful room overlooking the back of the hotel and the ocean. This was the perfect area of the hotel to stay since we had wonderful views of the Maui sunset. I posted a picture of the last sunset of our stay.

The hotel, grounds and room were immaculate. The space is large, and airy. Open and comfortable. It's never overdone or uptight. There is amazing Hawaiian art all over the resort. The flowers are beautiful, as is all of the other spaces of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable. My favorite touch was the pre-set radio stations in the bathroom. I always set ours to Hawaiian music. The bathrooms are huge, well appointed and also immaculate.

We sat in all areas of the resort including at the beach (more on this later) the fountain pool, the lawn overlooking the beach and the serenity pool area. Service was attentive and fantastic. Drinks were wonderful as was the Mai Tai in the pineapple! Food served at the pool was great. Yes, the serenity pool is crowded and you will often not be able to get a seat here. Put your name on the wait list first thing in the morning after breakfast. This was not a big deal for us since we preferred sitting by the pool or overlooking the beach.

Overall, service was fantastic, and everyone greeted us by name. We needed a shuttle to run to a dinner reservation (because DUO was closed) in Wailea and were taken in a very nice late model Cadillac with wonderful service.

We ate at Spago, Ferraro's, the Lobby lounge, the pool and had room service. Ferraro's was our favorite. We had a wonderful server who was Italian and had a nice chat with him about Italy. We loved sitting in the lobby lounge drinking wonderful Mai Tais, watching the hula dancer and listening to music.

I had a neck and shoulder massage by the pool which was amazing. The staff is very attentive and came around with cucumber slices, cool towels, Evian spritzer and little treats. This was our favorite part of the stay...sitting on the lawn overlooking the beach reading and enjoying the service. My fiancé got a mani-pedi. When she accidentally chipped off the nail polish, they fixed it for free.

We took the outrigger canoe class on Friday and that was fun. Great to be out on the water and get a different perspective of the island.

All in all, If you are looking for the perfect blend of relaxed, but attentive service, with a nice sense of being in Hawaii, this is the perfect place.

Now for the two slightly less than awesome aspects which is saying a lot because basically everything in this resort is wonderful and excedes expectation. Everyone who works here should be proud.

DUO was closed for repairs which meant that the breakfast buffet had to be held upstairs at Spago which made for a less than an ideal set-up. Some of the buffet foods were cold and the space was often a little messy and crowded. Also, we weren't told of DUO being closed until check-in (don't think there is anything on the website alerting people? Or maybe I missed it.) However, since we booked through American Express we had breakfast credits, so we just went with the flow.

The second issue was the beach staff. Every morning I came down in hopes to snorkel but was told that the conditions were too rough. I explained that I was an excellent swimmer and would be happy to rent the equipment and sign a waiver. With that said, the conditions often did get rough towards the evening. During the day, however, the conditions were quite calm and I saw everyone else at other resorts along the beach snorkeling. I'm not sure what the conditions needed to be to allow snorkeling? It's an ocean. Not a pool. Adding to the frustration might have been a bit of a gruff attitude of the employees. Contrasted against the perfect services elsewhere in the resort I noticed it here more.

Also, the service down at beach wasn't the same as the rest of the resort. Here again, a bit of gruff service. I wanted to ask about the beach activities (boogie boards, kayaks, etc.) but didn't feel very welcome. The staff huddled around the umbrella stand at the back of the beach and seemed to reluctantly come out to help set up a chair. Specifically, I very politely asked one of the employees to please help me out and keep an eye on our bag (which was under our chair, it wasn't as if I was asking him to personally hold it for me) for 20-30 minutes while we took the outrigger canoe course. This is a public beach, and I don't think I was asking for anything that outrageous. It was early in the morning and not that many Four Season guests were on the beach yet. In hindsight, probably should have run the bag up to the room and avoided asking which resulted in a snippy response about how safe the beach was and how that wasn't his job. I explained that I wasn't going to hold him accountable, just needed a hand since we didn't plan well and left valuables in the bag at the chair. Finally, the water trampoline was not in the water. Perhaps a small thing, but together with the other issues at the beach, we felt a little let down with the beach services overall.

I would suggest if you really want to take part in beach activities (besides sitting on a lounge chair) you should book specific activities through the concierge.

Overall, an incredible experience and we are looking forward to returning and staying at other Four Season's resorts around the globe.

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean view room. It is worth it and not as expensive as the Prime Ocean Room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
FSMaui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Aloha from Maui!

Thank you for submitting such a detailed review of the property. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay. I’m glad to learn that you enjoyed your overall experience and plan on returning. However, it is truly disappointing to read of your experience with the DUO emergency renovation as well as with some of the employees at Snorkels and the beach. I apologize that you were not met with the high level of service for which we are known in these particular areas of the resort. Please trust that your feedback is valued and will be utilized in retraining efforts. I welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues further. Please feel free to contact me at maria.jagla@fourseasons.com or 808.874.2212. I look forward to speaking with you, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Maui in the future!

Warmest Aloha,
Maria Jagla
Resort Manager

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!