“Hard to beat this resort...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Wailea
manhattan beach, ca
“Hard to beat this resort...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I've stayed at this resort several times with my husband and have always really loved it. This last time was the first time we took the kids with us. We stayed the last 3 nights of our 10 day Maui excursion (having just stayed for a week at Honua Kai for the first part of the trip). I hadn't been to the resort in a while & wanted to end our trip with a bit of luxury. It didn't disappoint! While the rooms of course are dramatically smaller and more expensive than the Honua Kai, it's that service & attention to detail that make this place so special. Despite our smaller dwellings, the kids really loved it, we really weren't in the room all that much. From the moment we arrived, the kids had special things waiting for them in our room (stuffed animal, mini-robes to use, treats, their names spelled out in sponge cutouts, special bath products). We had some little treats too for us. While the pool wasn't really anything special for the kids (a very baby slide, kind of boring pool stuff for my 9 & 7-year olds), they had the kids club, which they absolutely loved and were always begging us to take them to, as well as a game room with pool tables, ping pong, table shuffle board and several video game consoles. There is also a really nice beach in front of the resort (although it got VERY windy in the afternoon), as well as locals who for a fee will let your kids go on an on-ocean trampoline. I also really love their massages there. I always get the massages in the Hale/oceanside, they are really amazing, so relaxing to be right next to the ocean, and I've never had a bad therapist. Every time we left the valets gave us cold bottled water, and when we checked out, they gave us water and little treats for the kids. Be prepared to spend a lot poolside if you eat there, but as always, really great service. I went to check out the "Serenity Pool", which is their newer adults only pool. I'd say calling it the Serenity Pool is a bit of a mis-direct. It was very rowdy and loud, it was like a Vegas pool-scene for middle-aged folks. The big pool down below was WAY more tranquil and relaxing. There aren't many chairs available either at the Serenity Pool, although they have cabanas available to rent for almost the price of their cheapest rooms.

Only 4 bad things the entire stay:
1) our friends in another room found a roach in their room. Yes, they have big roaches in Hawaii, and I guess sometimes they end up in the room somehow. Still, eww.
2) the first night, we had to call to have turndown service. For some reason they'd forgotten and we had a pullout bed for the kids, for which we needed linens, kind of unusual for their service (you get to expect a lot from them!)
3) when we checked out, we had a ton of luggage with the other family and it all got scattered between the 2 cars. However, when we got to the airport, I realized we were missing a small carryon bag. After realizing that it was unlikely it got taken at the airport, I called the Four Seasons. They said they'd check & call back. About 10 minutes later, they called to say they'd found it thankfully, and that they'd be driving it to the airport. I am very thankful that that happened not only at a resort closer to the airport (than Lahaina) but also that it was the Four Seasons because they did the right thing taking it out to us.
4) No free wi-fi??? Really??? I would think this would be standard now at almost all hotels, especially high-end hotels. (I mean, Honua Kai had it!) I think this is a really lame thing for them to charge for, especially when they are otherwise really good at not nickeling & dime-ing people there (no charge for game room or kids club, for example). But wifi? They include wifi at the Serenity Pool cabanas. I just think that is very odd on their part.

But despite the negatives, I do love this resort, the whole place smells amazing like a spa, it's relaxing from the moment you arrive, and you just cannot beat the service (3 o'clock otter pops!) We'll definitely be back someday!

Room Tip: Our 3rd floor room opened out until their big grassy area, so it was a nice extension to have for ou...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

2,968 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Open air lobby, excellent service, breathtaking views, outstanding restaurants....what more do you need?

Room Tip: Wonderful honeymoon spot
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My husband and I spent our second half of our Maui trip at the Four Seasons Wailea. We just arrived back home yesterday, and "cried" as we drove away from the Four Seasons. We ddin't want to go home.

All I can say is, why didn't we spend the entire trip at the Four Seasons? As soon as you pull into the circle drive, you are greeted by a number of friendly faces. I originally booked a Garden View room, but we were upgraded to a Partial Ocean View room. What a wonderful surprise!! Our room was not ready but we were already dressed for the beach. The front desk told us to not worry about anything but to enjoy their facilities. As soon as we walked onto the beach, Sam set up 2 beach chairs, a table and an umbrella. He set it up in less than 5 minutes and said if we needed anything, to ask them for help. After all, we were on vacation. Everywhere we went, all the employees were smiling and greeted us with an "Aloha." After spending most of the day on the beach, we checked-in and our bags beat us to the room. O.M.G. Amazing.

The entire hotel room and bathroom is 100 times more massive than our master bedroom and bathroom at home. And you could smell how clean the suite really was compared to an ordinary hotel. Just like everybody said, it was home. The truly amazing thing was that the housekeeping did an amazing job cleaning up our room. We had wedding cake and rose petals everywhere, and you couldn't tell if there was a mess earlier. She even cleaned my husband's jeans that had sand all over legs, after our 1st anniversary photo shoot. The L'Occitane products were a pleasant bonus for us.

When we went out to Mama's Fish House for our anniversary dinner, the valet called the restaurant to inform them of our upcoming arrival. We didn't have to inform them that we were running late, but the valet took it upon themselves to inform the restaurant. Again, something you would not expect.

The canoe program was a pure blast. Not only did we get a fantastic workout, but we saw tons of green sea turtles. One actually swam under me and came out. No way you could see these gracious creatures unless you snorkel out there. My husband did snorkel out in the cove and saw a lot of sea turtles and eel. This is the cove next to the Grand Wailea.

We ate at Duo and Ferraro's which were both great. We had the Wailea Buffet at Duo since we weren't craving a heavy breakfast. Quite pricey for pastries and fruit ($30). We ate at Ferraro's for lunch. We decided take out since eating lunch on the beach was a nice way to depart our stay.

The serenity pool was awesome. The water in the pool and spa were at the perfect temperature. But the best part of the pool? The amazing view. We didn't have any issues with getting 2 lounge chairs since this is their low-season. However, there was still a crowd at the pool.

Although our 3 nights went by so quickly, we will be returning in the near future. Hopefully for every anniversary and any other holiday.

Book The Four Seasons Wailea because it will be the best decision you'll ever make.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Just returned from a week long trip to Maui and the best part of the trip: Four Seasons! I was so glad to pick this hotel out of hundreds of others. From the moment we pulled into the hotel lobby, there was warm welcome, fresh leis, fruits and juice, dessert, milk and cookie, and toys...all complimentary of the hotel. My 3 year old son was excited to get so much toy delivered to our room. We spent the days lounging by the pool and the beach. The free sunscreen by the pool area was so thoughtful. Salt water pool was very clean with beautiful view. There was never too many people in the pool and tons of empty cabanas and lounge chairs around. Pool side serivice was excellent. The servers constantly filled our cups with ice water and passing around bite size dessert and fruits. There were so much toys in the kiddie pool area, that my son never played our own toy. The small waterslide kept him busy all day.

Food at the hotel was delicious. We tried all three restaurants in the hotel, our favorite was Spago. We usually make same day reservation and there was always table available for us. We had the buffet breakfast everyday and loved it!

Our room was spacious with garden view. I had the option to upgrade for free but then got lazy to do so. We didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. I loved the toiletries made by L'Occitane, made my hair so soft and shining. Even though the hotel was more expensive than most of the others on the island, but we felt that we were getting so much more in return.

On our last day, I left cell phone and passport in the room. Four seasons sent someone driving to the airport and delivered everything to me. I was speechless, that was 5 star service!

Overall, Four seasons was well worth every penny and deserves the 5 stars. I booked through whatahotel and got complementary daily buffet breakfast, lunch at Ferraro and room upgrade, value over $500. Will definitely stay at Four Seasons again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Longueuil, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Everyone at Four Seasons seems to care about you. When we left for a day trip to see the sunrise on top of the Haleakala, the valet put fresh bottles of water and warm blankets in the car. The blankets seemed too much at first, but once we reached the top of the crater, they saved us, it was very cold up there. They care about us in the resort, and when we leave for an expedition. Awesome.

Scuba, outrigger canoe are a must. The gym is nice and yoga on the beach is cool.

Room Tip: Garden view is better than you think. We were upgraded to partial ocean view, but I think I would ha...
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was hesitant to spend the money to stay at the Four Seasons in Maui but I am so glad I did. The room was incredible with great views of the ocean. Every little touch and amenity was taken care of....from sunscreen and treats at the pool to Woolite in the closet to launder your bathing suits. The Four Seasons gets all the small details right (and large ones too). The hotel is nice as it is one of the smaller ones in Wailea - you don't feel like you're one of millions. We had no problem getting cabanas both poolside and hillside everyday. The snorkel equipment was great and the reef right off the beach provided a great snorkeling experience. We saw at least one sea turtle every day! The paddle board rentals were great and fun as well. The food was exceptional - we ate at Ferraro's three times (all great), Spago once (very good) and Duo once (husband's favorite, my least favorite). The fitness room was nice and the activity room provided lots of things to do when you want to get out of the sun. Overall, one of the best resorts I have ever been to with exceptional service and staff. I would not hesitate to return.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Everything about this location is Top Shelf. It was a wonderful stay. We go to Hawaii every year. This will always be our choice while in Maui.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!