“Food excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 41 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Located above the Wailea Tennis Center, Joes has panoramic ocean views on one side and vistas of Haleakala on the other. Internationally acclaimed Chef Bev Gannon masterminds the menu, while husband Joe Gannon is credited with the theatrical lighting and inspiration of this popular dining spot. Wonderful comfort food, with a gourmet streak such as slow roasted prime rib, with mashed potatoes, our BBQ ribs, and Joes favorite meatloaf. Fresh local fish is also offered nightly including appetizers such as the ahi carpaccio and calamari. Don't forget about the "World famous crab dip"! The Seafood Pot Pie with fresh fish, shrimp and scallops is another favorite. Children are welcome, offering a fun kids menu and special drinks like the green gecko. One of Wailea's best Mai Tai's, crazy martinis, and and exceptional wine list from well known producers as well as smaller boutique wineries.
Louisiana
“Food excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

We visited Joe's in late February 2006 and our experience was fantastic. We loved the crab dip and the Ahi carpaccio for appetizers. Sea Scallops were my entree selection and were prepared simply--just pan seared. They were excellent! Nice wine list. It was a lively, fun atmosphere.

San Diego, CA
“Disappointed at Joe's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2006

I dropped by Joe’s on the afternoon of Dec. 22 in an effort to locate the establishment during daylight hours (the signage to the restaurant is quite poor). I approached the restaurant by walking down steps near tennis courts. An imposing metal gate blocked my entrance to the restaurant’s graceless “shed,” which seemed a bit out of place amid the tropical finery of Wailea. I called out to a disinterested gentleman who was seated, smoking, by the bar. He said he didn’t have the reservations book readily available, and he thrust a card at me and suggested I might try calling the reservations phone number. Later that evening I called the number—and connected with a man who sounded so frazzled that he could scarcely speak intelligibly. After placing me on hold for several minutes, he finally put me down for 8:30 on Dec. 23.

But since it was the holiday season and since I was on vacation, I was prepared to forgive these discourtesies. Upon my arrival at the restaurant for dinner, I was promptly seated . . . by an open window in a corner so dark that I struggled to read the menu. Immediately in front of me two large families with fretting children sprawled at a long table. And then a chilly breeze from the open window started blowing at my back. After water and fairly decent bread were delivered to my table, an obsequious older man waddled up and inquired, “How is your meal? How are you doing?” (Now mind you, I had not yet placed my order! Shouldn’t it have been obvious that no “meal” was on my table?) At this point I should have taken my cue and had the courage to complain—about the poor lighting, about the cold wind, about the unruly children. But I bit my tongue and told myself that the anticipated superb food would make up for everything.

Since I had spent the lovely day on a warm beach, I was up for lighter fare—chicken, perhaps. I dispensed with an appetizer, ordered a glass of white wine, and selected the sautéed half chicken as my entrée.

I was totally unprepared for the disaster delivered to me. What hit me first was the smell of the chicken—gamey and slightly fetid. My first bite suggested something fried rather than sautéed, and the meat was certainly not tender. On closer inspection—as I struggled to peer through the darkness and plumb the depth of my dish—I observed that the chicken perched in a pool of what could only be called “grease.” In this slough swam globs of tasteless, inedible cheese, beans, cherry tomatoes, Greek olives . . . and monstrosities billed as “croutons.” Let me tell you about these abominations: soaked in an unpleasantly strong olive oil reminiscent of petrol, they measured about one cubic inch. When I first bit down on one, I feared I might crack a tooth.

(Now mind you, finely wrought croutons can be a delightful garnish. For starters, a crouton must be freshly prepared—crispy on the outside, while still retaining a bit of interior fresh bread “spring.” Croutons should be tossed with a small amount of light olive oil and seasoning. And a crouton should be a small cube, certainly measuring no more than a half inch in any direction.)

The combination of ingredients in this entrée struck me as failure of colossal proportions, especially in Hawaii, where I would have expected sautéed chicken to come with hints of citrus, fresh herbs, island seasonings, and sprightly vegetables. Need I tell you that I left most of this mess, uneaten, on my plate?

So I am sorry I cannot recommend this restaurant. My experience at Joe’s was a disaster from start to finish—with just one small mitigation: the waitresses were courteous and professional. Unfortunately, they were unable to furnish me with that most fundamental requirement of fine dining: great food.

“Barn like atmosphere but great food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

Joes....somewhere I read an ad that said atmosphere is casual elegence....well, it's casual...but NOT elegant. It is a barn like building....very small, very crowded your packed in like sardines. No atmosphere at all - and in the dark - there is nothing to look out onto either. Dismal table placement - wobbly - butts of passing guests interrupting your meal. But, if you want great food....it was very good. The scallops were awesome and the meatloaf with mashed potatoes was also exceptional. But, with the atmosphere - you want to eat and run and thats what we did. And in the end...the prices are too high to justify going again. We like good food...and thats what you want. But, this place is a dumpy place that should not be charging these prices. We won't go back. Ever. But the food was great. <gggg>

A TripAdvisor Member
“Go for the view not the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2005

Beautiful 270 degree views are the best thing about this restaurant. It is a charming small location on top of the Wialea Tennis clubhouse. We arrived just before sunset are were treated to a window seat to watch another perfect Maui sunset. It is to bad the food could not match the ambiance. My guest started with the shrimp cocktail and I started with the baby greens salad. The shrimp cocktail was your average prawns in a cocktail sauce that tasted right out of a bottle. While the dressing was flavorful, there was nothing baby about the greens, they reminded me of the bags of mixed greens from the store. For the entrée we went with the Ahi special and prime rib. The ahi was cooked well but was presented in a bowl of liquid that made it unappetizing. The prime rib was a thin cut that was as much fat as it was meet (sizzler would be a better choice). Desert was the highlight of the food. We chose a brownie Sunday. Fresh brownies covered in ice cream were wonderful.

I leave you with a warning. The restaurant includes the tip (25%) in the check. I did not notice and would have double tipped if we had not stayed to chat. The waiter pointed the problem out when returning with my change.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Falling star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2004

This place has really fallen off in the last year. poor service,average food. It used to be a go-to place in Wailea for reasonable prices and a fun atmosphere but the wait staff especially has become inattentive and somewhat aloof. I have gone here for years but am crossing it off my list.