OK, first things first: The Grand Champions is NOT on the beach. It's walkable, but the quickest way takes you to Wailea Beach right through the Marriott and the parking lot of the Shops, so it isn't the most scenic thing in the world. That being said, the Waliea beaches have great views, but they are small and crowded, and from Grand Champions one can get to the REAL, Hawaiian-style beaches; Big Beach, Little Beach and Poolenalena Beach in a jiffy. If you're not going to go to one or ALL of these, why bother to go to South Maui at all?
My wife and I had no chance to get away over the Holidays, so this trip was short notice triage for us. We really needed it! Somehow we found a cheap flight. Finding a place to stay was more difficult. This is high season, Whale Watching time, and with only two weeks notice, everyplace was either full or way too expensive. We tried Hotwire...and lo and behold, we saw it: 3.5 Stars in Wailea for LESS money than anything remotely comparable in Kihei or Kaanapali. So we went for it, a 1 BR condo, and ended up at Grand Champions.
When we arrived, we found a nice, big living room, full kitchen, a view of the pool, and a very nicely sized bedroom. Great! When I looked around the corner of the living room, though, I found....the MASTER bedroom, and another full bath! They gave us a two bedroom, and a HUGE one, for the price of a 1-bedroom minus about a 44% discount! This place was BIG. Honestly, it was absurd. We had well over 1000 sq. ft. for just the two of us, in a place that could comfortably sleep six with room to spare....two big bedrooms and a king size sofa bed.
Some condos feel like hotel rooms, only with added kitchens/kitchenettes. Not this one. This felt like somebody's home. The furnishings were tasteful and distinctive. The kitchen was excellently equipped. And in the closet was everything we could possibly need; beach chairs, coolers, umbrellas, mats; when one needs to buy or rent this stuff it gets expensive, but it was all provided in our place. There were even family board games. There were books to read on the bookshelf. This was good stuff!
So, don't worry about beachfront. The best beaches in S. Maui don't border hotels/combo complexes (with the NOTABLE exception of the Makena Surf, that is, but this is more than double the price of Grand Champions). Stay at Grand Champions, hopefully booking on Hotwire/Priceline, save a bundle of money, drive 5 minutes, and have a great time.
- Also Known As:
- Wailea Grand Champions Villas Hotel Wailea
- Wailea Grand Champions Villas Hotel
- Wailea Grand Champions Villas Maui
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Wailea golf resort with a country club feel is centered on 11 acres, amid the 18-hole Wailea Blue Golf Course. Select from garden or ocean view suites or golf front villas along the 6th, 7th and 8th holes, with ultimate views of well maintained fairways and sun-drenched strokes. Within this country club condo resort, you'll also find the world-class Wailea Tennis Center and stadium. The resort features two pools, two whirlpool spas and barbecue grills; and is located near The Shops at Wailea and popular Mokapu and Ulua beaches. Each 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom suite features a fully equipped kitchen, living/dining room area, private lanai and en-suite washer/dryer. Added values include FREE parking, FREE wireless internet access, FREE calls to the US and Canada, housekeeping every third day and preferred rates at Wailea Golf Courses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Wailea Grand Champions Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.