“Glad to have went!” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Performances
7 attraction reviews
“Glad to have went!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The big question when going to Hawaii: Which luau do I attend? Each book is telling you different things and most are telling you the Old Lahaina is the way to go. However, for my husband and I who were staying in Kihei and had already driven to Lahaina a few times that week, we thought we would 'settle' for something closer to the hotel. In my opinion, I don't think I'd consider it 'settling' at all! We had a wonderful time, and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

The booking process was a bit confusing, I'd definitely recommend calling rather than booking via email online. The office does not email you back a confirmation, they only call. Which is fine if you have your phone on all the time, but for me, I'm on vacation and I don't want it ringing! After 2 days with no word, I had to call them back to confirm that we actually had been booked in for the day we had requested.

When we arrived, we checked in and picked up our dinner tickets. The hotel also validates parking as well at this time, which was great! We were seated upon arrival and I didn't see that there would be too many 'bad' seats in the house. All were pretty close to the stage. We were presented with real flower leis upon arrival, and our picture was taken (which you can later buy for $20). The bar is an open bar with wine, beer and cocktails and there was never a wait to get a drink. They had quite a few prepared in advance for the taking. After a short greeting, we were invited to wander the grounds to get flowers in our hair, see how coconut milk is extracted, see some carving, etc. Then, the buffet started by table while some music played. The food was what you would expect, however my husband and I were a bit picky and we don't eat seafood, so choices to us were limited.

As for the show, the dancers were all great and the performers entertaining. I wanted to get to a show with fire dancers, so this one had it all! To me, it was what I would think a luau would be and I wasn't disappointed. Dinner and a show, great night out!

Maui, Hawaii
40 attraction reviews
“Show was good, the rest was ok. luau with a real fire dancer, not for elderly,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Like the dancers, they were very good. nice view of the ocean. food was good as other luaus. No ambience. No help getting to the luau, pulled up to the front of the hotel at valet parking, no signs on where to park. they valet was helpful, do the valet for 5 bucks, plus tip when you pick it up. but, you have to walk a long way from the desk. you follow the signs til you get to the bathrooms then you are on your own. there was a shuttle but that information was not told to us until we got to our seats and they saw how hard it was for my elderly guest to walk. the hotel is wonderful, the luau grounds are plan and quite borring. you have to walk to the lea greeting and it is placed so after you get it, they take your picture. you walk to the other side of the ground to get your food tickets, and the drinks were not tastey. if you are in kihie or wailea and cant get to lahaina, then this will do. other wise, old lahaina is the better choice, but it is only hawaiian dancers and not south pacific. the best part was one of the staff (bald dude) who has been there 30 years, new our names and looked for us after the show to give us a ride back up the hill to the desk, he had the aloha spirt. marriott should be glad to have him. sorry i didnt get his name. other wise this would have been a poorer review trying to get my elderly guest back to the car.

Calgary
3 attraction reviews
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were told this is the best luau near Kehi and Wailea. The food is pretty good for a buffet, the vendors and staff were nice and accommodating. The perfomance was pretty good altough you can tell the dancers were a bit bored....they must do the same routine four times a week. This luau offers premium seating for $10 more, which is totally worth it, as you would be sitting in the front row and have a great view of the stage. The performance starts shortly after sunset, so you still able to enjoy dinner and the wonderful view of the sunset. Also the tickets include open bar, with options for beer, mai tai, pina colada, and either white wine or red wine.

Piedmont, OK
20 attraction reviews
“Great time and awesome food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our family of four just got back from their luau. Great setting...right on the beach and saw the sunset. Spectacular!

Great story/entertainment, and, the food was a true surprise. The pork was something any BBQ lover would appreciate. Open bar, limited choices with either pina colado, mai tai or beer or wine. But, since I like mai tais........it was perfect.

Highly recommended!

Clovis, California
4 attraction reviews
“Te Au Moana Luau”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have been to 5 Luaus and this was our least favorite. The positive was the setting was ocean side, the food was plentiful, you got a real flower lei, and what there was a the short show was very well done. On the down side you had plastic chairs for seating, no table decor, few drink choices that were not tasty, no booths with exhibits, only some booths to sell things, no real host or hostess to assist or help in any way, shape, or form. You had to go get your own lei, your own drink and even your own dinner ticket. The Old Lahaina Luau was the same price and SO much nicer in every way, luxurious compared to this luau. So if your in South Maui it is worth the trip to Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau up there, don't waste your money at this luau.