“Unfortunate” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kai Wailea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 41 Restaurants in Wailea
Cross street: Alanui Dr.
Wailea, Hawaii
“Unfortunate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Remember the Seinfeld episode: "the soup nazi"? Kai Wailea has a sushi nazi; an angry, intolerant chef who intimidates his kitchen and wait staff. Consequently, the kitchen is understaffed (I am sure they quit after a few days), food comes out slowly (we only received 1/2 of our order before we finally asked for the check), and our very competent waitress was extremely frustrated and apologetic. An unfortunate dining experience.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

McKinney, Texas
“Excellent food, pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We really enjoyed both meals we had at Kai. We tried a variety of items between the four of us, two adults and two teens, and they were all delicious and well presented. But I did feel as though I was paying more than I should simply because of the location. Situated at the high end "Shops at Wailea" it was not surprising that it was expensive, just a little annoying given you aren't outdoors or even close to having a water view. But like I said, the food was fantastic and you won't be disappointed in your meal. Just prepare yourself for the price of dining out in Wailea. Live music was nice and service was attentive. I definitely recommend it, especially over some of the other less interesting restaurants at the shops. If I'm paying top dollar, I certainly prefer to spend it on fresh, gourmet food versus a standard but pricey cheeseburger. Bottom line, go and enjoy it!

Visited July 2012
Redding, California
“We left”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I so wanted to eat here. We walked in and the place was noisy and very hot. We looked at the menu, even ordered some wine, but we ended up leaving. I cannot comment on the food, but the atmosphere was zero...and did I say how hot it was?

chicago, il
“really good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

we tried some of their original dishes, they were awesome. and the "mai kai" drink. the prices were a little too high but the quality was great.

Visited June 2012
Austin
“Yummy Grilled Sashimi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The grilled fish for lunch was so delicious, I think maybe it was sashimi grade tuna?? Have gone back several times, just for that entree. Yummy

Visited June 2012