I've stayed here many times, most recently 7 nights in June-July 2014. Love the character of the place.
-feel removed from busy area of Wailea - feel like you are "at the end of the road" and it's quiet.
-almost all rooms have a good view, some are spectacular (pay for Oceanfront, then specify to them ahead of time that you want to be in the front wing of the hotel that is directly parallel to the beach, which would be room numbers x30, x31, x32, or x33 where x is the floor). In these rooms you will directly face the beach and no construction or pool noise/view.
-pool area has free cabanas, enough lounges and spaces, and generally you will be amazed if you are accustomed to fighting hordes and saving lounges with old books at 6:30 in the morning! It is easy to get a nice space at this pool. But then the pool isn't so great (see Cons below)
-Management cares. Ann Roberts is one of the supervisory managers and she roams the grounds. I saw her take care of several issues including a group of young ladies with some inappropriate inflatable pool toys.
- Staff have largely been working here a long time, and enjoy it. Laid back yet capable.
-As other reviews point out, you will not be nickel & dimed here, no hidden or extra fees.
-the hotel is old enough, with nice food storage shelf area around the refrigerator....that roaches are well set in this part of the room. We had roaches around all our food and purchased large ziploc bags to keep them out. It is not pleasant, but it is manageable. There would probably be no way for the hotel to control the roaches in this age of a building, given all their pathways to enter/exit.
-pool really is adequate, but not impressive at all
-Management does seem to be coasting down toward the eventual demolition or replacement of the hotel, whatever form that takes. You can see the money is not being spent on things, except staff. Other things are just limping along until something happens. This works in some areas, but other things that are being deferred or not done (like any real refurbishment, renovations, or costly maintenance) are starting to show up, to the detriment of guest experience.
-fountains in the fish pond make a lot of water noise in the most expensive oceanfront rooms. The guests want to hear the ocean sounds, not fountain sounds. The fountains do not come on until 7:02am (in my experience) and the early morning until that time was most enjoyable to be on the lanai of my room. Management could look at some other way to aerate the fish pond water.
Summary - if you know it's a hotel in decline, with great staff but older facilities, you will have the right expectations. The location and beach are what make it a great value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach front resort located on Maui's southern coast, the family friendly beach front resort, formerly known as the Maui Prince, offers guestrooms and suites complete with private lanais and ocean views, tennis club, convenience to Wailea Golf, an inviting white sand beach and a aloha-spirited staff; it is the Maui vacation you have been waiting to have in luxury style beach resort. Makena Resort is a great value with no resort fee, no parking charges (valet or self) and complimentary Internet throughout the resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Makena Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makena Beach & Golf Hotel Makena
- Makena Beach And Golf Resort
- Prince Hotel Maui
- Maui Prince Hotel
- Prince Hotel Wailea
- Wailea Prince Hotel
- Makena Beach & Golf Resort Wailea, Maui