Like many other reviewers, I'm sad to hear that Makena Beach is converting to condos. The property is beautiful, the beach is perfect- not crowded, swimmable, great snorkeling, and the staff is great! We also felt it was very convenient to the Wailea and Kihea areas, where we went every night for dinner, especially since the resort shuttle will take you to Wailea. We did alot of comparison between this and the Marriott in Wailea, ultimately choosing Makena because it was (1) significantly cheaper, especially when you factor in parking and the additional fees charged by other resorts, and (2) because the beach was more secluded. We were so happy with our choice! My husband loved the breakfast buffet. It's unfortunate that Makena either won't be an option once it converts or will be significantly more pricey than it is now.
The only reason I wouldn't rate it as Excellent was because of the bathroom. We had the issue with the water pressure and the water going back and forth between very hot and cold. Looking at some other pictures on the site, it looks like our bathroom was not upgraded like some of the others. However, this certainly wouldn't deter me from recommending Makena to others.
Some things we did while we were there that we really enjoyed: (1) took a walk to the left of the hotel as you're looking at the beach. That will take you to some great fishing spots, and lots of lava rock. We found all kinds of interesting shells, sea glass, and small pools. It will also take you to little beach; (2) Snorkeling with Kai Kanani at the Molokini crater. This company will pick you up right in front of the resort, which means a much shorter boat ride, you beat the other boats there, and it's very convenient, and (3) putt putt! The resort has a small putt putt course, badmitton, ping pong, story time, etc. These small touches made our stay so much more enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach front resort located on Maui's southern coast, the family friendly beach front resort, formerly known as the Maui Prince, offers guestrooms and suites complete with private lanais and ocean views, tennis club, convenience to Wailea Golf, an inviting white sand beach and a aloha-spirited staff; it is the Maui vacation you have been waiting to have in luxury style beach resort. Makena Resort is a great value with no resort fee, no parking charges (valet or self) and complimentary Internet throughout the resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Amex, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Makena Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makena Beach & Golf Hotel Makena
- Makena Beach And Golf Resort
- Prince Hotel Maui
- Maui Prince Hotel
- Prince Hotel Wailea
- Wailea Prince Hotel
- Makena Beach & Golf Resort Wailea, Maui