“Decompress in paradise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Makena Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Makena Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Makena Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Makena Alanui, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753 (Formerly Maui Prince Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
ADD A FREE $50 CREDIT
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Aliso Viejo
“Decompress in paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

What an absolutely wonderful resort, the facility is clean, and well maintained. We love this location - remote yet so close to shopping and restaurants. The entertainment is varied our favorite and the fire pit with smores and storytelling was wonderful! Feeding the fish in the morning and grabbing a yummy breakfast with selections for the pickiest eaters. Snorkeling is outstanding we Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Mill Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We enjoyed the Makena Golf & Beach Resort! The Makena coast is so beautiful. We love the climate on this part of the island. We love the beach for swimming and snorkeling. We also love the pool area!!

Ojai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Your facilities and staff were outstanding. We had a marvelous vacation and wish we could have stayed for a month. So sad to hear that you will no longer exist in 2016. We look forward to returning to Maui someday. Thank you!

Volcano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

wonderful and very comfortable feeling as soon as we stepped out of the car. . Staff is the most friendliest. Made us feel at home. Easy to talk to. Grounds and rooms are very clean. I would go back again.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We attended a beautiful family wedding at the Makena Beach and Gulf Resort. It is a lovely, well-maintained property. The staff is friendly, helpful and clearly well-trained. Valet parking is complimentary, a real plus.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Ready to return. They treat you first class. Breakfast very good. Dinner restuarant could be better. Nice beach area. For us pool was fine. Good food outside. No parking fee is a big plus since other resorts charge 20 a day. Located near Wailea golf course. Quite a distance to Hana rd, trilogy tours and other places

• Stayed July 2014
Kihei, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Seeing as the resort is closing and converting to condos, I thought long and hard about why I should or should not post this. Long story short is that there could be many small wedding/revenue groups until the resort actually closes and I would never wish for another customer walk away the way we did.

Positive: The resort is an older building, so the rooms are spacious, the bathroom is large, the views are spectacular (book ocean front) and the beach is breathtaking. They did a large refurbishment a few years back, so the room is decent.

We were there for our wedding, so we had 30+ rooms and our reception. This is where the viewer should be concerned. The sales process was not easy.

May 2013
Me: I'd like a lower rate.
Sales: We don't go lower than what we gave you.
Me: Okay. I signed the contract

Jan 2014
Me: I'm mailing out the invites and I realize I need more rooms that what the contract states. Will that be a problem?
Sales: You only have 1-room booked. Don't worry.
Me: Correct. The only person that booked is me because the invites with information did not go out.

March 2014
I start to receive calls from my attendees come in stating there are no rooms at the rate I indicated on the invite, however I signed a contract that stated as long as the room category was available the rate would be honored. The category was available online. I'm annoyed because now I have to call to deal with a scenario that could have been avoided. I called it was resolved, but it's the principal.

April 2014
I reach out to Catering requesting the event order for the reception and advising that I want to make final payment. No reply until 30-days later. Yes, you are reading correctly. 30-days later. Even when it was received it was the wrong pricing. As of May 30th (the day before my event) the event order was still not complete.

May 2014
Makena resort releases a lower rate than what they gave me. Annoyed once again, I call to get the lower rate. Now the resort is annoyed with me for calling them to get the lower rate. I think to myself, "I'm the customer and the resort issued a lower rate. NOT MY FAULT you emailed me to tell me you have a LOW RATE and I want it for my attendees."

At no point during our stay were we acknowledged by any member of the management team. No welcome amenity, no honeymoon amenity and not even a phone call to say thank you for your 75-room nights and event. NOTHING!

All in all, the banquet was flawless and the operations team executed a beautiful event. The operations team definitely made up for the lack of sales service. Would I do it all over again knowing what I know? Not sure? If you are a wedding or small group, I recommend you spend more money so you're recognized and if you don't know that your business doesn't really matter.

Room Tip: Book Ocean Front