“Great stay and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Makena Beach & Golf Resort

You added Makena Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Makena Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Makena Alanui, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753 (Formerly Maui Prince Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
5th Nite FREE & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
“Great stay and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Ready to return. They treat you first class. Breakfast very good. Dinner restuarant could be better. Nice beach area. For us pool was fine. Good food outside. No parking fee is a big plus since other resorts charge 20 a day. Located near Wailea golf course. Quite a distance to Hana rd, trilogy tours and other places

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Kihei, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Seeing as the resort is closing and converting to condos, I thought long and hard about why I should or should not post this. Long story short is that there could be many small wedding/revenue groups until the resort actually closes and I would never wish for another customer walk away the way we did.

Positive: The resort is an older building, so the rooms are spacious, the bathroom is large, the views are spectacular (book ocean front) and the beach is breathtaking. They did a large refurbishment a few years back, so the room is decent.

We were there for our wedding, so we had 30+ rooms and our reception. This is where the viewer should be concerned. The sales process was not easy.

May 2013
Me: I'd like a lower rate.
Sales: We don't go lower than what we gave you.
Me: Okay. I signed the contract

Jan 2014
Me: I'm mailing out the invites and I realize I need more rooms that what the contract states. Will that be a problem?
Sales: You only have 1-room booked. Don't worry.
Me: Correct. The only person that booked is me because the invites with information did not go out.

March 2014
I start to receive calls from my attendees come in stating there are no rooms at the rate I indicated on the invite, however I signed a contract that stated as long as the room category was available the rate would be honored. The category was available online. I'm annoyed because now I have to call to deal with a scenario that could have been avoided. I called it was resolved, but it's the principal.

April 2014
I reach out to Catering requesting the event order for the reception and advising that I want to make final payment. No reply until 30-days later. Yes, you are reading correctly. 30-days later. Even when it was received it was the wrong pricing. As of May 30th (the day before my event) the event order was still not complete.

May 2014
Makena resort releases a lower rate than what they gave me. Annoyed once again, I call to get the lower rate. Now the resort is annoyed with me for calling them to get the lower rate. I think to myself, "I'm the customer and the resort issued a lower rate. NOT MY FAULT you emailed me to tell me you have a LOW RATE and I want it for my attendees."

At no point during our stay were we acknowledged by any member of the management team. No welcome amenity, no honeymoon amenity and not even a phone call to say thank you for your 75-room nights and event. NOTHING!

All in all, the banquet was flawless and the operations team executed a beautiful event. The operations team definitely made up for the lack of sales service. Would I do it all over again knowing what I know? Not sure? If you are a wedding or small group, I recommend you spend more money so you're recognized and if you don't know that your business doesn't really matter.

Room Tip: Book Ocean Front
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Westlake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great service. great location - we drove 1 mile down the road and were able to snorkel with with Sea Turtles. Room was great ... Our view of the ocean was outstanding! This was our 2nd stay there - first was our honeymoon - this time our kids loved it too!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Scotia, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

I booked a surprise trip to Maui for my wife's 40th birthday. While searching the different resorts on Trip Advisor, I ended up booking at the Makena Resort. What drew me to this resort was the reviews on Trip Advisor. Every place is going to have a certain number of naysayers who will post negative comments...some legitimate and some nit-picky! You have to sort through those using your own judgement. However, I found that the Makena Resort took the time to reply to the negative comments. To me, that showed they truly do care about the guest experience!

I hooked up with the concierge desk a couple of months before our trip. What a great idea that turned out to be! I was able to book a lot of activities with them ahead of time so we didn't have to worry about it on our vacation. They proved to be most helpful.

As far as the rooms and the grounds are concerned, they we absolutely gorgeous! We had a top floor, dead center ocean front room, which had a spectacular view. The quiet sounds of the ocean at night were very soothing.

Because of the location of the resort, it is further than some of the others. That proved to be a great thing, as it was very quiet. They don't have an on-site water park or any other "kid" attractions, so there were not a lot of rowdy families there. I'm not saying that it's not a good family place, as I am planning to bring my kids with me next time!

As for the food, it was some of the best I have ever had! As a world traveler, I have eaten on almost every continent, and the food at the Makena ranks at the top of my list. We did not have a bad meal the entire time there!

The list of pluses really goes on and on...free Valet parking, free shuttle, 2 pools, quiet beach, extremely friendly staff, etc... This resort is a definite YES in our book, and we will be back. Save some money and stay here, you won't be disappointed!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Alameda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel, golf course and the beach are nice, but the pool and portable hot tub are too small for such a large hotel. Since the bar/grill closes at 1pm, you have to wait till 5:30 for the restaurant to open for a drink. We took a shuttle to the shopping mall. The Tommy Bahama bar was great!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MakenaResortMaui, Public Relations Manager at Makena Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
We are sorry to hear that during your stay rain forced an early closing of the pool bar. Rain in Makena is rare, in normal conditions the Pool Bar and Grill is open from 11 AM - 5:30 PM closing just as the bar opens at the Molokini Bar & Grille. We thank you for taking the time to write a review of the resort. Warm Aloha from Makena!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Makena is my version of Paradise! The location is remote and the hotel is relatively small (compared with The Grand Wailea), which I really love. I have been there twice. My boyfriend and I went in the fall of 2011 and I just returned with my mom and sister for a family trip in June 2014. Everyone is extremely friendly and makes you feel at home. I especially love the bartenders at the pool bar - Lucky and Kris.

The one issues I had here may not be the fault of the hotel, or it may be... I booked a package with air and hotel through American Express (which farmed it out through Orbitz). I paid a certain amount per person (which was not cheap) for three people. I paid for an upgrade to a partial ocean view (totally worth it) and then was bumped up to a full ocean view because the golf course (which is no longer available to the public) was under construction. When we arrived, they only had a King bed available in the full ocean view. Why would I pay $$$$ per person, if they were only going to save us a King bed? When we told them that we need two queens (because we were three people), they downgraded us to partial ocean. I know this is absolutely #firstworldproblems, but I am just trying to get what I pay for. Again, this may not land on the fault of the hotel, but in their communication with Orbitz or Amex. Who knows.

Other than this issue, I have absolutely no complaints. I love the staff, the location,the room,the turtles and will absolutely return again soon!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This was our third year in a row staying here. We absolutely love this place. Like the other reviews have stated the beauty, service, and value is second to none. It sits on one of the most beautiful beaches on Maui. It is uncrowded and the snorkeling is the best. I snorkeled with turtles every day! Once there were three of them feeding together at one time just off the rocks to the south.
We are sick to our stomachs that this place is going to be closed and turned into condos. Disgusting! Try and get here before it happens. You won't be sorry.
Shout out to Faiz and Ron who were fantastic.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Makena Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!