“Ideal location and well kept resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Makena Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Makena Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Makena Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Makena Alanui, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753 (Formerly Maui Prince Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$199 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Toronto, Canada
“Ideal location and well kept resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I spent 10 days here and enjoyed every minute. We booked with Hotwire and had no issues with the check in process. Parking was plentiful. The location is perfect because it is the last resort on the coast. Next to us was the Ahihi National park which is a must walk/hike adventure. The Shops at Wailea was nearby (need a car for sure). The massive sea turtles hang around the beach front and make for a bruch with nature a super experience. The service and staff were excellent, no issues. Our room was facing north west and we had great sunsets daily. The room was perfect, very clean and comfortable beds. My only complaint is that the AC was not as strong as we are used to but this is generally the same across the board with most Hawaii hotels - we've been 3x and experience 4 different hotels. Room had a small fridge to store fruist and beverages. Best in room hotel coffee ive had. The pool bar was a cool place to hang out for a drink and some lunch. Played badminton on the grass court and lost badly to my wife. Note, half of the beach front is public so, not completely private. Never had an issue though. Overall, our stay was a great experience and we would stay there again.

1,770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Carlsbad, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were extremely happy that we decided to stay at this hotel rather than some of the larger, more expensive ones to the north.

The staff members were very competent and helpful, particularly the beach shack staff.

We had a beachfront room that was large and well-maintained. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were soft (something my girlfriend always notices). We liked that the bathroom had a bathtub area with a clothes line AND a stall shower so we didn't have to take things down that were drying when we wanted to shower. There is a self-service washer and dryer on the main floor.

The balcony was large and had a good view.

The hotel was a good value considering that there was no resort fee yet we got free beach chairs, free valet parking, and free WiFi (although it could have been stronger). There was a $25 daily fee for a beach umbrella that seemed steep yet typical for Maui. (We later stayed at the Sheraton which charged $15 per day for beach chairs and didn't offer umbrellas because it was too windy. The wooden twin chaise cabanas were $45 per day.)

I enjoyed snorkeling off the hotel's beach and did swim with a turtle. The snorkeling was good (but not as good as at Black Rock by the Sheraton where we stayed later). We didn't try snorkeling anywhere else while staying here because we liked having beach chairs, an umbrella, restrooms and a bar handy when we were finished.

We got a package that included the breakfast buffet and enjoyed it. Some of the items were changed each day so there was sufficient variety.

The hotel is not sprawling like many of the other Maui properties and it felt more Hawaiian than the Fairmont, Hyatt, and Westin that we visited.

The hotel is slightly remote but that seemed like a good thing. Wailea and Kihei were only a short drive away and I believe that the hotel had some sort of shuttle service for guests without a car.

One warning -- There was significant construction on the north side in mid-May 2013 when we were there.

Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We decided to stay at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort again this year, because we all enjoyed it so much last year. Even my two teenagers wanted to return. Once again, we were very pleased with every aspect of the resort and commend the professionalism, but also the welcoming attitude of all the employees. The ohana spirit is alive and well at this resort. The accomodations are lovely, the grounds are beautiful and well-kept, the beach is perfect, and there are plenty of activities to keep everyone happy. It is the perfect place for a relaxing Hawaiian vacation. We will be back next year!

Room Tip: Stay on the south side of the building as there is construction on the north side of the building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Makena Beach Resort was truly amazing. I knew we were getting a bump to a partial ocean view room based on the package we got with the travel agent but they ended up going a step further and giving us an ocean view room. It was on the side of construction of the condos next door but I can honestly say it didn't impede on our stay at all. we were out of our room by 7 am before it started and not back in there until they were done for the day. I guess if you want to go to Hawaii and spend all day in your room, this would be a bad thing...
They also gave us the FREE buffet breakfast EVERYDAY during our stay. Whoo hoo! that was a nice surprise. How they get people to pay $25 per person normally is beyond me. I could never eat enough to make it worth it!

Rooms were pretty nice with a sitting area, all new bedding and had a mini bar/fridge/safe. Balcony with table. Best bed and pillows in a hotel HANDS DOWN. had the best sleep. The really odd thing was the wall mirror was like a million years old and all scratched up. Not sure why you would renovate a room and leave that eyesore? odd choice. Tile was a little grungy but that tends to happen in humid climates so it didn't phase me. The housekeeping was excellent. always nice to come back to a clean room. Water refills and Starbucks coffee. Nice touch.

Just about everyone we encountered was extremely helpful and friendly. (Not like in St. Thomas where we were inconveniencing them to serve us) The waiters at Cafe Kiowai gave us pointers on where to go and what to do (yay for Thomas and Russell for going above and beyond!), the cleaning ladies even knew our names and greeted us every time. Pool bar was our favorite place, not for obvious reasons, but because they had the FUNNEST people. Big C, Lucky, Amanda, Liz and John were all awesome. Felt like our friends by the time we left!! I was sad to leave them. Pool Bar appetizers were awesome, drinks were delicious (Coco Mojito baby!) but lacking a little oomph! It was always fun to try the special of the day.

Beach was impeccable! Beautiful stretch of sand and best part is…it was NOT busy at all! (apparently the first of May and September is a slower time to visit Maui-good for us!) Never fought for a pool lounge chair. One glitch with no towels one day but normally towels were not an issue at all. Only disappointment was they charge $25 a day for an umbrella on the beach. I don't think they should charge this to their hotel guests. Maybe to the public beach visitors?

Property was gorgeous, free parking/valet, the restaurant (Cafe on the Green) at the Golf Course (that is closed now for reno) was still amazing! Happy hour and food specials to die for. They were offering guests that wanted to play golf a resort credit for the difference to play the Wailea course down the road (not that we cared because we weren’t playing anyway but it was a nice gesture)

I just can’t rave enough about this place. We truly loved everything about it. The location is great. I don't care for the cruise ship side of Lahaina/Kaanapali mainly because I went to relax and that's exactly what we did. Great beaches, snorkeling anywhere and everywhere nearby. (we bought a $20 snorkel set at the local Safeway and it worked perfect all week ( better than $9 an hour to rent!)

We were worried that this vacation would break us after being suckers for All-Inclusives. Although food and drink was a bit pricey, we still came out ahead in the long run and got the service we deserved.

I would not hesitate to go back or recommend this place. It was worth every penny!

Room Tip: splurge for the ocean front rooms. nightly sunsets are amazing!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nice resort by put beware when booking through the website. They advertise advance pay purchase deals, with buffet included, but if you bundle it with airfare it puts it to Pleasant Holidays...and you don't get free buffet.we didn't realize this till first day there and front desk argued with us. Also upgraded to ocean front, 2 queens. We got a king .asked to change, but room was on side of building, not front. When we asked about that ( the hospitality room on that side is considered ocean view) we were told. : its a matter of opinion! Beautiful resort but very shady deals...easy to get ripped off. And people we dealt with at front desk were clueless

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
jbonilla_makena, Public Relations Manager at Makena Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to review the property. We are sorry to hear about the concerns regarding your booking with the hotel. Please know that our booking process is not meant to mislead, and we are continually updating our website to ensure the process is as seamless and user friendly as possible. Our Advance Purchase Rate Promotion does include breakfast, but from what we can gather from your review and notes of your stay it seems that you did not purchase the Advance Purchase Rate Promotion option, as it is not possible to bundle airfare once this package is selected; but rather, it seems that the package chosen was the airfare and room bundle. Our airfare and room bundled rates, when booked on our website are handled through our trusted hotel partner, Pleasant Holidays, who are able to book airfare directly and provide great discounts on flights along with our rooms. This practice is not uncommon within the hotel travel industry. Through this route breakfast is not included but allows the option to add-on breakfast within the booking process. With your review, we took time to test the booking process and found that the left hand side bar clearly indicates what is chosen and included in the package throughout the booking process and that an “air, room and breakfast” option was provided but in this case the room and air option was chosen. A summary of the booking is then provided via confirmation letter sent directly to email which includes what was booked with our property. We again are sorry to hear that this process was confusing for you, and we will continue to evaluate the booking process so as to find ways to make it easier or more apparent.

Our oceanfront rooms span from room numbers 30 - 42 on any floor. This includes rooms located in the middle and some angled rooms on the Wailea side of the building, all of which have an unobstructed ocean front view. The hospitality room used during your stay was a 60th number room which is located more toward the end of the wing which is why it was considered ocean view category. We are sorry again to hear that there was such confusion with your stay, but please know that our resort is not in the practice of providing "shady deals." We look to provide a great value for our guests providing various options with different inclusions to help our guests find what is best for their stay and budget. Our front desk agents also go through an extensive training process to ensure that guests get the most from their stay at the property, with many of our agents experience at the property spanning over 15 years. We hope that regardless of the issues you mentioned that you had a wonderful stay on Maui and were able to experience the best of what the island had to offer. We hope that you will consider returning to the island sometime in the future. Until then we wish you happier travels and our fondest Aloha.
Pacific NW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

As many of the reviews for this hotel have stated, Makena is located south of the main Wailea resorts on an idyllic beach. It is much quieter and laid back than it’s glitzier rivals to the north, which is exactly what we were looking for this time staying in South Maui. As someone who often seeks out luxury properties, I chose Makena with very realistic expectations and it met those expectations.

The positives:
- Location. The property is located on a spectacular stretch of beach, which includes safe swimming, great snorkeling and a steady stream of turtles swimming and feeding just off-shore. The resort will provide guests with lounge chairs on the beach, but if you need an umbrella, that’s $25 per day; a bargain really when compared to $60 for the same set-up on Waikiki.

-Room Views: if you choose the right room category, the views are breath-taking. A special note on this subject. I booked Ocean Front through Costco Travel. However, I am also an “I Prefer” member and made a point to contact the hotel in advance of our arrival to provide them with my number and to request a true Ocean Front room. I was very specific in that I expected Ocean Front to be located on the front-most facing section of the hotel, and not on the sides. This request was honored and we were given 331; I cannot imagine a view any better although going up another floor or 2 in this section might be slightly better (but I believe the size of the room gets smaller). I highly recommend that you join “I Prefer” and contact the hotel in advance of your arrival.

-Beach-side service (for umbrellas and chairs). They really went out of their way to provide a great experience and ensure that you got set up where you wanted to be. A special call-out to Keoni who made a point to know us by name and greet us by name not only on the beach, but when he encountered us in other places. Keoni embodies the same sort of customer-service quality that you’d encounter at a Four Seasons Property.

-Pool-side Bar: We received really good food, drinks and service here. Lucky and Big-C are also great examples of high-quality customer service.

-Breakfast: Our package included daily buffet breakfast. I would never pay separately for this at $25 a person, but as part of a package, it is totally worth it. The spread is not lavish but it does cover all the basics including lots of fresh fruit and an omelet bar. It was perfect for us as we were able to make healthy choices.

-Quiet!: this place is very quiet. We never encountered any room-to-room noise at all. Also, it was not at all crowded; I suspect occupancy was low during our stay, but early May is a slow time on Maui. If you’re looking for a lively vibe, this is not your place.

-Value: I feel we received incredible value given the views, the inclusions and a price-tag of one-half to one-third of what you pay at some of the other Wailea properties up the road.

The “So So”s:

-Rooms: Makena claims to have done a complete renovation. I believe that based upon what I have heard in terms of how badly the property had deteriorated, that a considerable renovation has been done. However, it’s largely a “refresh” and cosmetic. The rooms are perfectly acceptable and the beds are comfortable. However, the bathroom grout is getting grungy (however I do have to say that the Four Seasons Wailea’s bathrooms were in shockingly bad shape last year too). The tub and shower enclosures are dated and the rugs and floors, while clean, have seen better days. Having said this, I was happy with the room in general as it was as I expected. The Lanai was huge and could really benefit from much nicer furniture to allow full enjoyment of the space and the view.

-Public Areas: many have noted that the grounds are extensive and beautiful. This really is the case, but again, not fully restored to their full potential. Take a look at some of the rival properties and you will see the difference between “maintained” and “manicured”. With a little more love and restoration, the gardens could be spectacular. So could the wood and floors in the lobby and hallways.

-Molokini Grill: We had appetizers and drinks one evening in the bar. The food was surprisingly good. Also, this space is located on a level that actually has good ocean views, but it could be so much more! There are windows, but no deck or lanai, which means that you’re dining completely indoors.

-Configuration of the property: As I said, the Makena has a spectacular location. However, there are a couple of things that prevent it from fully being able to leverage the location. First, there is a very high sand berm in front of the property, which I’m sure is necessary to protect the area from tidal surges and tsunamis. Unfortunately this means that the restaurant where breakfast is served and the pool area have NO ocean views and never will. Second, the property was designed so that many of the rooms take advantage of the views which means that the lobby area and common areas on the entry floor are enclosed and facing the rooms themselves. This is somewhat counteracted by nice gardens, waterfalls and fish ponds, but it is not typical of many resort properties in Hawaii.

-Service: it’s really spotty here. I’ve called out where we received great service. On check-in, we were very well treated in reception and given all consideration requested regarding our room preferences, but after waiting for a long while for our luggage, we walked back down and retrieved it ourselves; it was still sitting on the cart and several bell-men were standing around. Clearly no one had any intention of bringing it up. Some of the valets at the front greeted guests, some didn’t even make eye contact.

Conclusion: Makena is a very good choice if you’re looking for a combination of value, location and good quality, especially if you want to be in the Wailea/Makena area. I liked it well enough to return and to recommend it to others. As long as you’re well informed about what to expect and you negotiate the right room (and do be sure that you’re not given a room on the north side facing the construction), you can expect to have a great experience.

Room Tip: Make sure if you book Ocean Front, that you're in the section directly facing the ocean, and not...
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I wanted a second honeymoon and chose to stay in a quiet location on Maui. Makena was everything we were looking for in a resort; not too far away, friendly staff, great beach, great breakfast buffet, beautiful natural surroundings, and great snorkling. We loved it.

My only complaint is that we didn't stay longer. I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Makena Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!