We were extremely happy that we decided to stay at this hotel rather than some of the larger, more expensive ones to the north.
The staff members were very competent and helpful, particularly the beach shack staff.
We had a beachfront room that was large and well-maintained. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were soft (something my girlfriend always notices). We liked that the bathroom had a bathtub area with a clothes line AND a stall shower so we didn't have to take things down that were drying when we wanted to shower. There is a self-service washer and dryer on the main floor.
The balcony was large and had a good view.
The hotel was a good value considering that there was no resort fee yet we got free beach chairs, free valet parking, and free WiFi (although it could have been stronger). There was a $25 daily fee for a beach umbrella that seemed steep yet typical for Maui. (We later stayed at the Sheraton which charged $15 per day for beach chairs and didn't offer umbrellas because it was too windy. The wooden twin chaise cabanas were $45 per day.)
I enjoyed snorkeling off the hotel's beach and did swim with a turtle. The snorkeling was good (but not as good as at Black Rock by the Sheraton where we stayed later). We didn't try snorkeling anywhere else while staying here because we liked having beach chairs, an umbrella, restrooms and a bar handy when we were finished.
We got a package that included the breakfast buffet and enjoyed it. Some of the items were changed each day so there was sufficient variety.
The hotel is not sprawling like many of the other Maui properties and it felt more Hawaiian than the Fairmont, Hyatt, and Westin that we visited.
The hotel is slightly remote but that seemed like a good thing. Wailea and Kihei were only a short drive away and I believe that the hotel had some sort of shuttle service for guests without a car.
One warning -- There was significant construction on the north side in mid-May 2013 when we were there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach front resort located on Maui's southern coast, the family friendly beach front resort, formerly known as the Maui Prince, offers guestrooms and suites complete with private lanais and ocean views, tennis club, convenience to Wailea Golf, an inviting white sand beach and a aloha-spirited staff; it is the Maui vacation you have been waiting to have in luxury style beach resort. Makena Resort is a great value with no resort fee, no parking charges (valet or self) and complimentary Internet throughout the resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Amex, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Makena Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makena Beach & Golf Hotel Makena
- Makena Beach And Golf Resort
- Prince Hotel Maui
- Maui Prince Hotel
- Prince Hotel Wailea
- Wailea Prince Hotel
- Makena Beach & Golf Resort Wailea, Maui