“Fantastic Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Makena Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Makena Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Makena Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Makena Alanui, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753 (Formerly Maui Prince Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
ADD A FREE $50 CREDIT
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Sunnyvale, California
“Fantastic Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My hsuband and I spent three nights at the resort. It is a great location for snorkeling. Also for going to the near by beaches.
There are no resort fees, valet parking is complimentary and the internet is free. The beach is great. Rooms are very clean, large, and comfortable. There is a mini-fridge in each room. We tried the bar and grill at the pool. The buffet breakfast area by the koi pond. Also the golf club restaurant. They have the best sunset happy hour. This is a good location for families. Even though there was 85% occumpancy, the hotel did not have a crowded feel to it. The Starbucks, being a resort station, offered wine, beer and mimosas along with the regular coffee and tea drinks. This resort is a great value for your money. It is close to the shops at Wailea. Kihei shops and restaurants are close too.

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front is the best way to go.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Roseville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Are you overworked, overtired, and exhausted? Do you need some decompression time away from work/home?

Maui is the place to be, and Makena is in a great location, with all the amenities—restaurants, gift shop, valet parking, laundry facilities, exercise room, etc.

You will quickly get into the relaxed, “Aloha” spirit when you arrive. Rooms are nice, beds are comfortable, food is very good, and, best of all, you’re only a 5-minute walk from the ocean! If you’re not in the mood to bob around in the waves, the hotel pool is even closer.

You may have read recent reviews about the construction and noise on one side of the hotel, and it’s true. If your room is on that particular side, it can be noisy (during the day) when you open your sliding glass patio doors to have a look at the ocean – yes, it’s a partial view (at least it was from room 158), but you can still see the ocean!

So, let me ask you this: If you’ve spent your hard-earned money to come to Maui (and folks, it is not cheap there), why would you spend your time in your room during the day, especially when a whole new world is yours for the exploring!

Sure, you may need to get back to your room to change clothes and de-sand and de-swimsuit before lunch or dinner, but will you really want to stay there for long periods of time? You’ll have plenty of time to sleep at night, when it IS quiet outside!

Try the (free) yoga down at the beach with Juliet on Tuesday/Thursday mornings at 7 am – it’s a great way to relax, stretch and gear up for the day—and, you may even see the whales while you’re enjoying class!

Makena staff are great, and here are a couple of examples of their many kindnesses:

Thomas (at the valet station) always made sure I had a small bottle of water with me when I took off on walks around the area.

Andy (reception) had great advice re: local restaurants. We tried Pita Paradise, and loved it! (Walu gyros? Who knew? They were delicious!)

Got into a conversation with Ron (reception) my first morning at Makena, while I was poking around the lobby, waiting for Café Kiowai to open. He gave me plenty of postcards and a pen, so that I could send some Aloha greetings home! (How did he know that I’m a prolific post-card writer? I didn’t say anything….)

I wish I could name all the staff who work there, but you get the picture. All you have to do is ask, and they will help you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Let me start by saying everyone who worked at the resort was very friendly and helpful.
We arrived and checked in at 7pm on a Wednesday night. We had reserved an ocean front room
and they put us in room 439. We basically dumped our bags and wanted to get dinner. My husband said he wanted to take a shower before we went to dinner because he felt grungy from traveling all day. When I looked in the tub there was sand and hair in it. The carpet in the room was also filthy and there was an odor in the room. It was late and I was dog tired so I decided to deal with it in the morning. When we woke up our view was of a construction site, definitely not ocean front. I looked at my husband and said I was going down to the front desk to question and complain. I told the gentleman at the front desk everything that was wrong. He said that room was considered ocean front (don't ask me how) but he did have room 236 available and gave me the key to see if it was clean. It was 10 times better than the first room and was closer to the ocean but we could still see the construction. We took it because it was definitely better than the first room. They moved our luggage (hadn't really unpacked) for us and that was that.
They also kept billing themselves as having been completely remodeled but I didn't see it. Having stayed at the resort when it was the Maui Prince, it really seemed the same. I'm going to call it tired. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place and I would stay there again but probably wait till the construction is finished.
On a positive note, this hotel is on the best beach on the island. Great snorkeling and swimming right out your door.

Room Tip: The rooms on floors one and two are larger because the building is a pyramid. Definitely insist on...
Pacific Northwest, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

From the moment we pulled up to the valet (free) parking in front of the hotel until we checked out on our last (very sad) day, we experienced truly excellent service from everyone we encountered at this resort. The location was perfect. The snorkeling right off the beach was excellent. The pool bar drinks and bartenders were awesome. The room was fantastic with an amazing balcony lanai and view. I have zero negative comments about this place. Truly.

Room Tip: Ask if there is still construction going on just North : you may prefer a room opposite :).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
boston,ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Having read the reviews of the construction being done at the Makena Resort here on Tripadvisor.com, we called 4 days in advance to request NOT to have a room on the North side of the resort facing the construction site. We were assured by Cathie that we would have a room on the 4th floor of the South side which is the pool side. When we arrived we were informed we had been given an "upgrade" to a 5th floor "ocean front" room. After spending the entire day traveling from Boston we were pleased to hear this...until we got to the room!!! We were overlooking the very construction site we were trying so hard to avoid!!! When we returned to the check-in and told Andy that this room was not suitable, he informed us that there were no other rooms available. The next morning we were awakened by the very loud sound of a construction crew right ouside our balcony! We could not enjoy the view with the balcony doors open due to the loud noise of the excavators and stone crushers!!! When we met with the manager Mr Duarte, to request a room on the South side we realized he had been at the desk the night before when we checked in, but had offered no help...very disappointing!!! He tried to tell us that he did not realize that the noise was so bad, we suggested he come to our room and see but he declined. Really! All one has to do is see all the large equipment at the site to know it is a noisy place! We have now been moved to a room on the South side on the 3rd floor...not as advantageous a view as we had originally booked, but again we were told there are no other rooms available....not that I believe any of this. The management here is shifty and does not seem to have the interest of the guests in mind, they never want to give you a room number associated with your reservation and never inform you of which rooms are ocean front or ocean view or the difference in pricing...we were told an ocean front was 100 more per night, but on requesting a refund for our room we were told there would be a $50.00 credit to our bill???? So I say....BEWARE!!!!

Stayed March 2013
jbonilla_makena, Public Relations Coordinator at Makena Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Aloha. We thank you for taking the time to review the property and we are sorry to hear that your experience was not as you would have hoped. Unfortunately, a family home, not associated with the resort, is being developed outside the boundaries of the resort off of the northern corner of our property line. Though we are optimistic for a speedy development of the area, we are have been working to move guests to the south side of the building. During periods of high occupancy and with only a certain number of rooms available per room category that is divided among both wings of the resort this becomes more of a challenge. Please know that customer service is of great importance to us and we are confident that we did out best to provide alternatives (with the various room categories pricing available online for people to view) during your stay. We are sorry to hear that this greatly affected your stay with us and we wish you happier future travels.
Lyman, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have stayed in alot of resorts over the years. This by far is the most "People friendly" resort that I have ever been to. It is an older building that has been newly remolded. The gardens are very nice, the resturants in the resort were very good, they have some very beautiful art work & wood carvings through-out the grounds, plus it is on what I feel is the best beach in Maui. But what I liked best about this place was the attitude of the staff. Everyone that I had any dealings with from the valet parking people to the wait staff in the resturants were genuinely as nice as they could be, not some "put on act" like so may other places that I have been.
The rooms were spacious and very clean. The bath room had a full tub plus a separate shower stall with pleanty of water pressure. They had shampoo, conditioner, shower gel & body lotion - no mouth wash. The room had a small refrigerator, a safe, iron & ironing board, pleanty of closet space, flat screen TV (I never turned it on) & everything you would expect in it. Everything worked just fine as well. Plus it was very quite at night.
Some people have said that it was to far away from everything, it is the furthest south resort on Maui, but that helps keep the crowds away on the beach and quite at night. I mean come on you can rent a car and drive to where ever you would like to, there are good roads in and out of there! I have stayed up in Lahaina before and paid alot more, you can have it. Plus if you go out on a paid snorkeling trip they will bring you out to "Turtle Town" which is right out in front of this resort. So if you want the best snorkeling spot on Maui (Not Molokini) go on out past the pool area and go towards the left-hand side or south side of Makena Beach. There is a reef that goes out maybe 300 feet or so ( the water isn't much over 20 feet deep) and you are in Turtle Town. Go out and swim with the fish & turtles. If you hold your breath and dive under just a few feet you can hear the Humpback Whales singing in season!
All that said, I plan to go there for at least 2 weeks next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here for two weeks,and really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. Rooms were adequate, although we got Rm 248- Our launi viewed the construction.Beds were very comfortable,enjoyed the fridge,and starbucks coffee in the room each day. Breakfast buffet was excellant each day.Even enjoyed bird/fish watching there. As meals were a tad expensive,we grocery shopped and had some snacks in our room. A microwave in each room would have been a nice touch!,
We also enjoyed a wonderful evening out at the Golf Club at an Elvis show.This was a Terrific show... Was even impressed that the Manager suggested this and called our room to confirm with us our enjoyment. A helicopter trip and a Whale watching trip was also our delight, although we saw the best jumping whale right off Resort beach. Laundro-mat was also a terrific thing to have on sight.Would love to return again. This was our third Maui trip -first at Makena.

Room Tip: Get a partial ocean view -they are terrific
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Makena Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!