“We loved it!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
denver
“We loved it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

After reading some of the bad reviews I was a little nervous about choosing the Grand Wailea for my husband and three kids but we loved it!. In the past 4 months my family and I have stayed at Ritz Carlton, the Broadmoor Colorado Springs and the Regent Beverly Wilshire and I can say this place is equally gorgeous. I feel like I can be a picky person and this place fulfilled all my expectations. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. True, it doesn't have the 5 star service of a Ritz Carlton but it was clean and the grounds are kept up very nice. I would just say it reminded me more of a Marriott, Hilton, Sheridan, etc. One thing for sure, this hotel is all about families. The pools are made for kids and parents who want to spend time with their kids. Every kid would love this place. We went over to Four Seasons for dinner at Spago and it was great but then we decided to walk around for awhile. After our little walk we knew we chose the right place to vacation. The Four Seasons was nice but felt like a great place for honeymooners and couples celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. My kids would have NEVER been able to relax there. Anyway, back to Grand Wailea, I thought the food was fine at the restaurants including the Hummahumma (that was actually one of our best meals). The shops on the grounds were fun and convenient as you could run down there from 7 am to around 10 pm and charge it all to the room. I loved The Shops of Wailea next door. It's a close walk and a beautiful shopping area. The beach was perfect. I liked it because it was basically all hotel guests on vacation, not local teenagers hanging out on a public beach. Everything you have heard about the cabanas, chairs, etc. is true. We decided to rent a cabana for every day we were there. If you can do it, it really does make for a more enjoyable afternoon although I did see plenty of people there w/o cabanas and they seemed to look equally as happy. The spa was beautiful. I tried the deep sea facial and it was probably the best facial I have ever had. They offer spa services to kids so my 7 year old daughter had a cocunut/chocolate massage and manicure and pedicure. She really enjoyed it but it seemed like a rip off to me. It just seemed like it went really fast and was over before you knew it. There is a beautiful chapel on the hotel grounds so we decided to attend the Sunday service. If you are into that, I highly recommend it. It really put it all into perspective and reminded me how lucky we were to be sitting there in paradise! We can't wait to get back and as long as our kids our little we would choose the Grand Wailea. When we are a old married couple and the kids are gone we will definately be found next door at the quiet Four Seasons.

Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Anaheim Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for a week in July to celebrate our first anniversary. I have to admit I was a little nervous about our vacation at the Grand and even attempted to switch our reservation over to the Four Seasons. I'm so glad I didn't!!

Staff: Very friendly and helpful throughout

Room: Very clean, updated, beautiful ocean view (even though our room was technically a garden view), spacious, large bathroom - loved the honey mango shampoos and shower gels, complimentary refrigerator - great for snacks and drinks

Restaurants: Loved the cafe - quick breakfast and lunch options, the volcano bar at the pool was good - yes it is pricey, but so is EVERY resort poolside restaurant I've ever eaten in. I highly recommend the turkey burger and the lava flow drink. We avoided Humuhumu as I had heard mixed reviews - instead headed over to Spago at the Four Seasons (on that note, the hotel is beautiful, but small (I know, "intimate") and my husband would have been bored in their pool. The food was fantastic at Spago as was the service and the view - request one of the tables outside that overlooks the pool and ocean. Headed over to Tommy Bahamas and Cheeseburgers - both good casual dining options

Spa: Beautiful, staff was very friendly, great massage

Pools/Beach: I was most apprehensive about the shade situation. I am fair-skinned and can't sit in the sun all day, even if we were in and out of the pools. The adult pool is gorgeous and kid free, but there isn't an inch of shade outside of the cabanas (on the grass below the adult pool were some semi-shady areas where people were pulling lounge chairs. Your best bet for shade is getting up early - arriving at the pools at 7am is a must - and reserving one of the thatched umbrellas - they shade four chairs. Yes, you do have to stay, because at 8am they were clearing a number of towels off of unoccupied chairs. I didn't mind - the pools are mostly deserted until at least 9 and you can enjoy the sun coming up and the waves crashing in the background. The best location in my opinion was the uppermost pool - incidentally there is a large bank of palm trees up here that provides some shade throughout the day - this pool was the quietest of the main pools. The pools themselves are great, fun for kids and adults alike. We rode the small waterslides that cascade from pool to pool daily and braved the larger waterslides several times. The water elevator is something to do just to say you've seen it, but nothing spectacular. Poolside service was quick and a nice lunch option. The beach is nice and just adjacent to the pool - the water is warm and clear with great snorkeling just off of the beach.

Things to do: We took a helicopter tour to Hana with a luxury van ride back - the only way to do the road to Hana in my opinion - only a four hour drive one way. We drove into Lahaina and I was underwhelmed - Front Street was nothing fabulous - dinner at Kimo's was okay but the view was worth it.

Overall: The hotel itself is gorgeous and feels just like Hawaii - our stay was fabulous and I would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

We just returned from 9 days at The Grand Wailea Resort. It's a great place for a family vacation, but expensive. The hotel facilities were fantastic, the rooms were comfortable, but don't bank on seeing the ocean if you book an "Ocean View" room. Our Ocean View Room looked out at the back of another wing. We could just barely see the Pacific Ocean over the roof of the wing in front of us. The restaurants are overpriced. We recommend the restaurants at The Shops at Wailea, an easy walk or short drive from the hotel.

Stayed June 2006
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

We stayed at the Grand Wailea in May and I waited to write this review as I have mixed feelings about the property.

Positives:
Rooms are big and were nice at one time
Grounds are beautiful
Pools are pretty good
Beach is close and very nice
Wailea area is very nice

Negatives
Rooms are a bit run down, moldy smelling
Service is terrible
Restaurants are terrible
Waterslides need some work
Pool area was dirty
Wailea area is a bit lacking in things to do.

So, the GW obviously used to be a 5 star property but it isn't anymore. The lack of service here from check in to check out is truly amazing for the price of this hotel. Trying to get service at the pool was impossible, the maid service was late every day and we were skipped completely twice. The staff is obviously not that happy at the Hilton taking over. Twice the hotel closed all the restaurants as the hotel for private parties. They really need to make improvements here. Also the room is badly in need of a thoroughly cleaning and updating.

My kids (6/4/2) enjoyed the pool. The toddler sand pool is nice for the little ones and is right next to the beach. The waterslides were a bit disappointing. There are 2 large waterslides that my kids were too short to go on. These were pretty good. The other waterslides are very short and small and really only good for kids up to about 3. The lazy river actually just is a bunch of pools connected by small waterslides except at the bottom. So you can't float it on a innertube. The pool area was pretty dirty.

The place was very busy but that was expected though we didn't have any issues getting seats in the shade but we were up before 7 every day.

The grounds are beautiful.

This could be an amazing hotel but from all appearances it will continue to get run into the ground.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

We stayed in Grand Wailea in July 2006. We were in a group; we had four rooms. All four rooms were in a very unkept condition. The walls were very dirty. Wall paper was peeling of the wall. The shower doors were in very bad condition. There were spots on the carpet.
A few of us got a rash; from the pool. We met other people with same conditions.
We were told that the hotel, will be remodeled next year; which will take a few years. I think this hotel must avoided during this time.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

My family and I have stayed at this hotel every summer for the past 11 years! Just like other users here, I have a high calibur of hotels in which I stay in. The Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons are definitely great hotels, but if you are looking for a great time in Maui, the Grand Wailea is by far the way to go. Whether it be for a honeymoon, or for a family trip the Grand Wailea will impress anyone. The hotel is very Hawaiian-esque in its design approach, as you are surrounded by small ponds in the lobby with Hawaiian statues nearby. The rooms have been renovated and are nicely decorated. I would highly recommend getting one with either a Partial-Ocean view or the Ocean View Deluxe room. Considering you have flown all the way to Maui, you might as well get to see the ocean! The hotel also offers a private "hotel" within the hotel called the Napua Towers. All the rooms within this section have ocean views and also include a breakfast each morning and drinks throughout the day. It also serves hor d'oeuvre during the afternoon. If you are travelling with a family I would probably opt-out on the Napua Tower as you may want to explore the local restaurants and not be limited to the hotel food. As you may have read in other reviews, the food in this hotel is expensive. Just to make this clear, quality food on the island of Maui is expensive wherever you may choose. One thing I would agree with though is that the hotel food is marginal with the exception of the cafe, Cafe Kula. For kids this place is great and the Volcano Bar near the pools is also convenient yet somewhat pricey. This brings me to one of the highlights of the hotel...the pools! By far this hotel has the best pools for kids compared to surrounding hotels such as the Fairmont at Kea Lani and the Four Seasons. There are many waterslides for kids to enjoy and the world's only water elevator which is an interesting experience. The adult pool is also nice to relax in, and the staff is generally pretty good about keeping it adults-only. The Spa is also another treat while at this hotel. I personally think it is by far one of the best places on the island of Maui for a massage. Now I am sure as you may be reading this you might think, "this guy has nothing bad to say about the hotel and is biased" but this is my honest opinion about the hotel. Although I have not yet stayed at the Four Seasons next door, I have stayed at the Fairmont at Kea Lani twice. This hotel definitely has the advantage when it comes to the rooms (as they are actually suites) but considering that I take a family trip, the kids facilities are not nearly as good as the Grand Wailea's. If you are an avid golfer like me, you might also enjoy the convenience of having the 3 Wailea Golf Courses right next to the hotel. The Wailea Blue, Gold, and Emerald courses are all spectacular, and there is a tennis club too that is great. The staff at Grand Wailea has always been great in all the years I have stayed, and are always welcoming every time I come. This hotel is really a beauty, and I would honestly recommend it to people that want to have a good time in Maui and enjoy the best!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Dallas/Ft. Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2006

We stayed at the Grand Wailea July 6th-12th. This was our third visit to Maui in the last 4 years. Our other two stays were on the Ka'anapali side of the island. While trying to decide on which side to stay and where I noticed the prices of the hotels have risen significantly on the Ka'anapali side. We have stayed at the Westin and really loved it and the beach, but it was only $15 cheaper per day then what we were going to be paying at the Grand. I must say from staying there before it is not worth $405.00 a night plus the resort fee. Not to mention you get so much more pool entertainment for the kids and adults at the Grand, and a much bigger room and bathroom.

If you have children this is the place to stay. The pools and slides are fantastic. Apparently maybe they've had so many complaints or maybe they have even read the postings on this site, but they are diffently trying to enforce the "no saving chairs before 7am and not leaving them longer than 1 hour rule." I spoke to many guests while at the pool who have stayed there 3-6 times and said that roping off the entrances to the sitting areas and the pool attendants really trying to pay attention to the chairs being saved for extended periods of time was new. So they are trying. However, if you want chairs for a family of 3 or more you still better get down there early. That's probable my biggest complaint is seating. Yes, the chairs are side by side and everywhere. But, this is a huge resort! And if it's booked to capacity then all of those chairs get taken. If you don't mind getting the chairs on the beach and running to the pool because it's sooooooooo HOT on the feet, then you'll be better off. And as far as shade goes either call in advance and book a cabana at $225 (prices do go down in "non-peak" times), or be down there at 7am and be lucky to get one of the little thatched umbrellas, but either alternate with someone in your party babysitting your seats or after an hour your towels and things will be gone and someone else will have it.

The only food at the resort I can comment on was the Kula Cafe. We decided to try their large pizza and drink special. What a mistake!!!! The worst frozen pizza from a supermarket would have been better. We have just been burned on so called fabulous restuarants at resorts and their ridiculous prices that we prefer to go off property and eat. We did order some cocktails from the pool bar. They were ok. A Lava Flow is about $10, frozen lemonade around $7.

The rooms are very nice and spacious, along with the bathrooms. We stayed in the Molokini wing. The beds are very comfortable and the decor is nice. I will recommend to check your account just about everyday on the tv. Two days in a row, someone charged things from two different restuarants to our room. The first day we called the front desk and they called us back to say the people who had our room but moved to another room had used their original room number. So they took it off. The second day we called and told them that this is the second time this has happened and that with them asking your name, room number, and date you are checking out, this shouldn't be happeing. They called us back this time without a reason but took it off.

As for dining. Unless the breakfast is included in our stay, we just refuse to pay $30 per person for the buffet. We could never eat our money's worth. So, yes, it is a bit of a pain, but we leave to eat. I highly recommend if you plan on going to Haleakala (the volcano), either on your way up or down to eat at the Kula Lodge, in Kula for breakfast. It has a panaromic view and the best breakfast. As for lunches or dinners, there are so many fabulous places. If you don't want to go far for lunch then next door at the shops of Wailea there is Tommy Bahamas (great for lunch or dinner and has excellent cocktails), Longhi's (food is ok, not spectacular, but when your tired it's ok.), we did eat breakfast only once at the Cheeseburgers and Mai tai's place and will never go back there again. We stayed away from Roy's and Ruth Crisp because we can have those here in Dallas. There's a place in Kihei called Fred's. It's mexican food. I was very skeptical at first, but our waitress at Tommy Bahamas said it was actually pretty good for mexican food in Hawaii. She was right. Their fish tacos were really tasty. As for fine dining there are many to choose from. Either in Wailea or on Front ST. in Lahaina. And I almost forgot about the Whaler's General store in the shops. They do all 3 meals. We did a quick lunch there one day and brought it back to the hotel. Very cheap and very good.

As for activiites, just buy the Maui Revealed book or Frommers and decide on what you want to do. If you don't want to do anything but get R&R with your family this is worth it. Just be prepared for many other guests enjoying the pools and beach also. And I will agree with reviews in the past about some of the ill behaved children. There were many of them, but there were many good ones too. The pool attendants were all great with the kids and adults. One other complaint would be the fact that this is a HUGE pool area and many different sitting areas, but not one place other than where you check out your towels to also return them. That could easily be fixed.

All in all this is a great place. If you don't like being around children or teenagers, or even adults acting like children in the pools, this place isn't for you.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!