“Great resort, but manage your expectations” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   3850 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hackettstown, New Jersey
“Great resort, but manage your expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and our adult children stayed here for 6 days in June. First, the good;
The hotel is beautiful. Meticulously maintained and landscaped. Plenty of restaurants and activities. The sandy beach is very nice with plenty of equipment to rent. Renting a cabana is good if you plan to spend all day at the pools. And, there are lots of pools, water slides and related activities.
Second, some things to consider;
This is a family oriented resort. There are lots of small kids here, even at the grotto bar. The day starts very early. The clatter of very noisy housekeeping carts, maintenance machines and waking kids starts at 6:00 AM. The rooms are not well insulated, so you hear everything for the surrounding rooms. Restaurants close at 8:00 PM, bars close at 9:00 and there is no after-hours entertainment. We looked all over the grounds trying to find a place to just sit and play cards at night, but there was nothing available.
In short, this is a great resort in a beautiful setting, but is much more suited for families with young children than for adults, or adults who like to get up early and go to bed just after sunset.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on the fancy view rooms. All of the views are fantastic and you won't spe...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vacaville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We enjoyed this hotel. It is beautiful. It's a large property so be prepared to walk a lot each day. The beach and pool are great. This is a big family resort. My only criticism is that the cost of food was shocking. For example, at the pool for lunch, I ordered two apple juices for the kids, one kids meal hamburger, a hot dog, some tacos, and two Mai Tais and with Tip it cost me $120. We ended up eating out side of the resort for many of our meals. But all in all it was a great property if you are prepared for the costs. The taxi driver on the way the hotel is located in the Beverly Hills section of Maui. So perhaps the costs fit the bill? Just be prepared to spend more money than you anticipated.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Let me start by saying that the front desk staff was fantastic and the beach attendants were some of the hardest working employees I have ever seen. We arrived after 12:00am tired after a long day of traveling and the the person who checked us in was great. The beach staff is a tireless group who go way out of their way to welcome and provide great local knowledge to the guest as they set up chairs and umbrellas. Please tip these guys, I can't tell you how many people didn't give them a dime, amazing.

Overview -

1. If you want a spot on the beach you need to arrive poolside by no later than 7:30am to reserve beach chairs and umbrellas. There will be only one person taking reservation and the line will be at least 10-15 guests deep. Has to be the worst system I have ever seen for a hotel with 700 plus rooms.

2. To swim in the pool or sit poolside you need to have a wrist band on. The line for the wrist bands were always 5-10 people long. If you were lucky there were two staff members working. I waited at least 10 minutes everyday before 10am to get mine. The line goes away after 10am but if you're not poolside by 7:30am to reserve chairs by the pool, you will not get one. They say they have a 30 minute rule if a chair is unoccupied for that timeframe but I never saw that rule enforced one time.

3. The gym is very nice and and doesn't miss a beat.

4. We stayed in a room that was in a great location right across from the upper pool. This gave us easy access to the beach/gym/pool. The room was in the 1000 block, if you have kids, this is where you want to be. Two minutes to pool, 5 minutes to beach. Some rooms in the hotel are at least a 10 minute walk to get to the pool and 15 minute walk to get to the beach.

5. The room felt like a hotel room in Vegas that was the nicest on the strip 25 years ago and now needs to be imploded on New Years Eve on live television. The rooms are dated and are really showing signs of age. We had mildew in our shower and the room wasn't that clean. On the up side the beds are really comfortable.

6. The pool has one bathroom..... The pool has one bathroom.... There is never a line at the bathroom.... You can barely walk around the pool there are so many people... The pool has one bathroom... I will let you form your own decision on where people are going to the bathroom. Did I mention the pool has one bathroom?

7. The food and drinks are expensive but I'm from San Diego so I'm used to high prices for bad/good, service/food/drinks.

8. The pool staff that patrols the pool slides like to blow their whistles. Especially one girl who is president of the "no fun" club. She has a scowl on her face and is so over the top. For the most part they are very nice and I can see why they have to keep the kids somewhat in line.

9. This is not a hotel for your honeymoon or if you are traveling without kids... This place is a zoo. The pool becomes the daycare and the parents are drinking or off on a tour somewhere around the island. I love kids and my kid had a great time in the pool. If you don't have kids and you want peace and quiet and a relaxing vacation, do not stay at this hotel. The Four Seasons is where you want to stay. It is priced almost the same and the service/rooms and hotel grounds are fantastic. I have stayed at both, The Four Seasons in the grand scheme of things is much, much better.

10. Please see #9 one more time....

11. I have been to Maui at least 50 times in my life and know the island very well. If you need advice on beaches or anything please shoot me an email.

12. Please see #10 one more time.

13. The zipline tour on Haleakala was fun for the family. The kids that run it do a great job and are very friendly. The views are incredible and worth the trip. It was my first time zip lining so I have nothing to compare it to but it was fun and we had a range of ages from 7-73 and everyone enjoyed it.

14. The grounds are starting to show wear and tear.

15. The bartenders are nice.

16. The hotel hallways are really beat up and need paint and refurbishing.

So if anyone wants more information, an answer or my opinion please shoot me an email. I always see how the hotel managers respond to the posts but never leave their emails. What a wonderful opportunity to get real feedback and constructive criticism. I hope they do but I feel like the hotel might be on the market. It just doesn't feel like they are sinking money back into the hotel on improvements and more staff. The hotel doesn't seem like it is focused on the retail client. This is a hotel for large conventions and award trips for big corporations.

Like I mentioned, if you idea of a wonderful vacation is cruising then this hotel will be a perfect fit for you. I'm still a little dizzy from turning left, right and around dodging people while staying here, there are so many people in such a small area.

Grammar and spelling wasn't a concern while writing this review..

Mahalo and Aloha

Room Tip: ask for the room closest to the pool and beach. ask for a room furthest from the pool if you don'...
Pittsburgh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We held our wedding and reception at the Grand Wailea. The wedding coordinator, MaryAnn Bowman, did an excellent job with every detail of the event. Also, the food staff was the best we have ever experienced. They greatly exceeded our expectations.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is my third time staying at the Grand Wailea. I am a Hilton Diamond member, but did not expect an upgrade because the hotel was full. I was blown away to receive a triple upgrade to the Napua Tower. The room and perks with being in this part of the hotel is a wonderful experience.

For the first time, I spent a considerable amount of time at the beach. It is extremely relaxing and the views are like none other! Dinners at Amasia and Hummahumma were also superb.

The only downside was getting a rash on both arms after my spa day; likely from one of the jacuzzi's. While a bummer, it did not ruin my last 2 days.

Without a doubt I will come back to the Grand Wailea, but may try the spa at the Four Season's next time.

• Stayed June 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

The grounds are immaculate and very well maintained. The hotel is very large and some rooms are far from the beach/pool. Get to the beach/pool early if you want a seat or go after lunch. The pools have several waterslides and are great if you have kids. The time change means many are at the pool or beach very early and the whole island is mostly asleep by 8-9pm. Maui is for relaxing not the nightlife.
The rooms are nice, but not 5 star, and could use a little TLC to get to a true five star Waldorf standard. We booked a Napua room, but switched at arrival to be closer to the beach and check in earlier. I’m Hilton diamond and the staff was very nice and accommodating. They had a suite available (not usually available for upgrade) for us two days after checking in but we ended up staying in our new room closer to the beach and pool.
We ate at Humu, Amasia and Molokini and enjoyed all three. Food is not cheap at any of the hotel restaurants so plan accordingly. My wife has Celiac and all three were very accommodating to her, but I spoke with all three before we arrived to set reservations and inform them of her allergy. If you have food allergies Maui is probably the most accommodating place I’ve seen. Maui Brick Oven in Kihei is 100% gluten free. Nick’s in the Fairmont is one of the best restaurants on Maui and worth every penny. Service and food are both 5star.You can also find some good cheaper restaurants in town (Coconuts Fish Tacos is worthy of the hype). The luau was good (the food and drinks were ok) but spring for the extra premium to avoid the lines at check in.

Room Tip: The beach is very far from most rooms. Stay in one of the wings near the beach if you don't want...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Grand Wailea has been on my wife's wish list for some time. I am a Hilton Diamond member and saved up my points (a lot of them) for our summer vacation. We have been here for dinner on previous visits and knew what to expect as far as the property goes. The rooms are decent with a Ritz Carlton vibe to them. As other reviewers have noted the fixtures are getting dated and worn - our room was no exception.

Positives:
*Beautiful part of Maui. You get the resort vacation without the chaos of Kaanapali.
*Nice beach.
*Great sunsets.
*Staff overall were really good - helpful and courteous.
*Shopping and restaurants in walking distance.
*Property is beautiful
*Short walk to other properties if you want to explore something different

Minor issues:
*The dresser sat at an angle and if you didn't shut the drawer fully they would roll open (watch you don't walk into one and fall).
*No self parking - be prepared for valet only fees plus tips every time you pick up your car.
*House keeping consistently took the sheets from our sofa bed and did not replace them - had to request them each time.
*If you are a diamond member you usually get breakfast for free - here it is $10 off pp ($20 total). Buffet is $30 pp. On the Big Island/Waikoloa we got free breakfast and that is a Big savings when staying for a week or more.

One major issue - the pool:
*Everyone raves about the pool here. We have a 5 year old so a great pool is top of our list when we travel. The pool is in fact pretty nice. Lazy river, rope swing and lots of slides.

However, every morning at 7am people line up to reserve their seats by throwing towels, hats, books, and flip flops on the prime chairs. If you go have breakfast and leisurely head out to the pool you will either have no where to sit or a single chair in a place you don't want to sit. It makes pool time stressful and overly orchestrated if you want to sit near where your little one is swimming. We took part in the fiasco one morning just to get seats only to have very few people sitting near us for hours - just all the towels and flip flops noted above.

You can also sit for a really long time and not get any service by the pool staff. This was hit or miss as one day we had great service and the next no one ever came near our row.

They need to do a much better job of managing the pool area.

Room Tip: Eat at Monkeypods - go early for great happy hour prices. Take a walk to Joe's Bar and Grill at...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GWExecutiveOffice, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Aloha PJZinLA,

Mahalo for staying with us at Grand Wailea! Each side of the island is very different in many ways, so we're glad to hear you've experienced the different areas and enjoyed Wailea. Our pools can certainly get busy, especially during the summers, but we apologize for any inconsistent service issues you experienced and will provide your feedback to our pool manager; we are actively making changes based on guest feedback like yours. We are also working on enhancing our rooms at this time and hope that you will return once we have implemented those changes.

Mahalo,
Rachel

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!