“Mahalo Michelle!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Wailea, Hawaii
“Mahalo Michelle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Ate dinner at the Bistro Molokini and was served by Michelle. The service was excellent and her attentiveness to us just right. She was very attentive, friendly and made good suggestions for drinks and our entrees when asked. We really appreciate this kind of awareness and ability to not interfere but be an integral part of our excellent meal experience. Mahalo Michelle!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Central Florida, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Great location, but beyond that not even close to what you would expect for a property at this price point. Major black eye for the Waldorf Astoria brand. My sister had a minor issue with housekeeping (they broke her perfume bottle which she has has since her wedding in 2002) and after she brought it to the attention of the front desk manager (Aaron) he asked if she was really complaining about a bottle of perfume? She explained the story, and he told her to file a claim with security. No apology, or any effort to take responsibility.

• Stayed May 2014
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Beautiful resort. We stayed for a week. This is the same resort featured in the Adam Sandler movie, “Just Go With It.” So if you want an aerial copter view of the resort and the facilities just check out the movie.

This resort is lush and huge. You notice a beautiful waterfall behind their sign at the curved entrance to the hotel. (Make sure to include a daily parking rate to the price of the hotel if you decide to rent a car. At the time of our visit it was $30 a day - don’t forget to include a tip for the each retrieval and return of your car as well. Also, their luggage carts are reserved for the bellhops, so if you use one, a bellhop will help you to your room. If you don’t want to tip the bellhop, skip the luggage cart.) The entrance is open and outdoors and you are greeted with a “manly” lei if you’re a guy so you only look a little bit touristy for wearing one. Check-in was easy and the complex was huge so it was good that a bellhop showed us where to go and pointed out the amenities of the hotel.

Our room was gorgeous - we had a full patio that opened to their garden courtyard. (Ocean view would be extra. In fact, our garden view was itself an extra upgrade.) ( * I’m including all the nitpicky nickel and dime prices for people that are on a budget.) The bathroom is huge, with a nice huge shower and a jet powered tub. The sheets are soft fluffy smooth white cotton. The beds might be too soft for some, but I sank in mine and I loved it. Our TV was a large 45 to 50 inch LED with several HD channels. There is a fridge but no mini bar. The towels show some wear, and are not as fluffy as the sheets. There is wireless internet that is free and is easy to connect to with your tablet or laptop. The carpet looks and feels clean and soft so you are not afraid to walk over it barefoot. There is a humid smell to the room but I think that’s the smell of being close to the ocean and their water park.

People complain about this resort showing wear. But I think it’s because your room’s entrance open to the outside. This is not an enclosed hall hotel. The outside hall is subject to the wear of the outdoors which most often is humid.

The adult outdoor pool was closed due to an upgrade, but that wasn't an issue for us because the rest of their pool facilities was HUGE. Because the water park area was fancy, they issue a daily color coded wristband, and they name check a database to make sure you are listed as a guest. The beach towels provided here were bigger and fluffier than the room towels, so grab a few to take up to your room. (Don’t forget to include the $25 daily resort fee when budgeting for your room.) Finding poolside seats wasn’t an issue for us because it wasn’t a peak time. Reserved partitioned seating is available though judging from all the closed off areas. There is a lazy river here, but no provided floaties. There is an awesome water elevator that raises a circular raft up to a higher level that leads to a series of baby water slides or a longer super slide. There is an enclosed pool bar area where you can enjoy drinks waterside. I avoided this place because the bathrooms were inconvenient and who knows how many adults just take advantage of the poolside peeing. There is an enclosed heated water Jacuzzi type area that is super warm so you get a shock when you jump back into regular water. There is a small sandy shallow area for the kiddies.

Mere feet away from the pool play area is the beautiful beach of Maui. The ocean was gorgeous and warm and you can walk down the beach if want to see the hotel’s neighboring resorts and condos.

The fitness gym area is huge and multi-level and is almost as large as some local gyms that I’ve paid for membership. They provide workout towels and flavored water and a bowl of fruit and local newspapers.

The Spa was fantastic as well but I’ll report on that in a different review.

We were here for a convention so the dinners and lunch provided us through the hotel for each function was delicious and regional. At night you can hear the spectacle of their Luau through the open door of your patio. It’s not loud or annoying but in fact adds to the flavor of the background white noise of the ocean.

Our overall experience at the hotel was wonderful and it was sad to check out to go back home to being normal.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Overall this resort was outstanding. For those who said it looks dated and beat up, I am not sure what they are talking about. The grounds and hotel were immaculate. I love the art and sculptures placed all over the property. My only minor complaint: not enough staff at the adult pool to take drink and meal orders. My daughters and I had a wonderful time, and got to know the very friendly and extremely helpful staff. I was happy to find that it was a relaxed and not too stuffy place (I have been to other Waldorf properties and was disappointed by the "attitude"). Imagine my surprise when one of the staff gave my daughters and me a hug goodbye before our flight home. it was that kind of experience, yet at the same time, I felt that they understood this was the "big vacation" for my daughters and me, and never felt my space was invaded.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Napua section. Excellent. Continental breakfast was filling and late afternoon bar and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We absolutely loved the Grand Wailea and can't wait to come back! It is a beautiful resort with gorgeous landscaping and creative pool areas. Most of our dinners were off property, but we did eat at Amasia and the food was fantastic!! It is not inexpensive, but is worth the price. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Beautiful resort in a great setting. However, I was hoping for another Waldorf experience, but what I got was a Hilton experience. Don't get me wrong, I loved the place, but it just didn't meet my expectations. I believe this hotel diminishes the newly created Waldorf Astoria brand.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Big, Beautiful and great food! Staff needs to be more hospitable and accommodating. They made me feel like a number and didn't care that this was my "once in a lifetime attempt at fabulous luxury on the beach". They refuse to seat us at one of many empty tables because we didn't have reservations. All staff seemed like they couldn't be bothered with any "extra accommodations". "this is just the way it is" I was told.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!