“A great choice in Wailea... almost Grand” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   3850 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Austin, Texas
“A great choice in Wailea... almost Grand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Grand Wailea is massive... understanding that makes the rest easy. I found the layout initially overwhelming, especially trying to figure out how to get around the maze that is called a pool, but it quickly became a comfortable focus of paths and places that I enjoyed. The room had a great old Hawaii feel, borrowing from plantation ideas and a general tropical vibe. Quiet, large, an overly opulent bathroom, a giant tub, a wonderfully plush bed - yep, all the things that I care about in a serene spot. The balcony, in an upgraded ocean view, was more garden than ocean, but I actually enjoyed what turned out to be a nice garden landscape removed from the view of other rooms or hotels and opening up to the sea.
The spa.. oh my golly, what can I say about the spa other than, you must simply experience it. Do a simple spa pass for the crazy wonderful salt baths of rainbow colors, or go over the top as I did with massages every day. I've done spas around the world. This is at my top of overall experience. To be honest, the actual massage was good, one was spectacular, but the various baths and general relaxation area is the best I've ever seen. Looking to economize, do the simple spa baths. Looking to splurge, sky is the limit at this place!
Restaurants on site are okay, but I wasn't floored by them. I liked "humu" best, named for the very small fish with the very long name, as I enjoyed the waterfront location and sunset in the lounge area had great drinks, nice pupu's, great staff, and killer sunset. Otherwise, the beachwalk takes you to great choices nearby, and I liked the open air Italian bistro at the hotel next door (okay, the Four Seasons - nice place, a little stuffy, I'd stay at GW and eat at FS).
Beach.. after all, you are going to Hawaii for the beach... is totally awesome! I loved the waves, just enough to have "wave" but not enough to make you fend for your loved ones. The sand is powder soft, and it is a gentle slope along the beach, not the harsh drop off that you would expect. There is a lot of marine life out there in Maui, so always pay attention daily to signs and what people are seeing, but I found it to be the experience you want of a Hawaii vacation.
Rooms I give a very good, beach I give an excellent, restaurants I give a very good, pool I give a very good, although kids would probably give it an awesome... overall, for me, one of the top places I have stayed on a vacation, so very easy to recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

2,968 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at other hotels on Maui, and none of them compare to the Grand Wailea. The Grand Wailea is by far the best hotel experience available on Maui. The hotel is spectacular and the staff treat you like a king. My only regret is that my job back in Canada does not allow us to travel more often to Maui to stay at the Grand Wailea (although we still do manage to make it there twice a year).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Roseville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Okay, so we just got back from a 10 day trip, 4 days at the St. Regis Princeville (absolutely PHENOMENAL) and 6 days at Grand Wailea, holy cow, what a difference!! The Grand has just seen its better days, this was actually our 4th trip there, but it was our first time in 3 years and it just seemed like this place is not keeping up with the competition. Our girls, ages 13, 11, & 8 even thought the pool had a foul smell to it that they couldn't stand, and that the entire pool area was old, out dated, and overly harsh with the whole wrist band issues that you need when in the pool area. Even myself, after having been there for 4 days and everyone recognizing our family was told I could not go down the waterslide with my girls because I did not have a wristband, I just forgot to get one after coming from a work out at the gym, they made me walk back down the stairs like a disciplined child to go get one before I could even be in the area, UNREAL. We spent most of our time at the beach which if you do get there early enough it is a great view and a great time, although if you don't tip the cabana boys anything be prepared for a cold response. We stayed in the Napua tower which if we were not upgraded I would never pay for the additional cost. Rooms were outdated and it had a old smell and feel to it. We went down as we always do to the Kea Lani to Nick's Fish Market for dinner and were overly impressed by the upgraded Fairmont Resort, so much nicer and much more relaxing feel to the entire place and still offer plenty of amenities for the kids. We have stayed there before and after being back at the Grand Wailea our pick would be the Fairmont in the future. Sorry Grand, you just have let the other properties pass you by in maintenance, service, upgrades, and overall experience of a family vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered and I urge you to please contact me if you would like to discuss these further.
Our goal is to have each guest have an enjoyable stay and I am sorry we let you down. We are continuously striving to provide the best service to our guests and to enhance the overall experience. I hope that if travels bring you to our area in the near future, you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate the service you have come to expect from a member of the Hilton family.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, we stayed there for 8 days and enjoyed our stay. We had an issue with our room when we checked in, they changed the room the next day. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because of the service, at times it was not so great.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Outrageously overpriced, and filled with so many miserable experiences so far. They closed the adult pool and moved the "adults only" pool to another area of the hotel and I have been witness to unruly LOUD children and fighting between guests as the families refuse to leave the "adults only" pool-UGH. Brought this to the attention of the staff several times, as I don't think they guests should have to play "police"! If they had better signage it might have helped the guests know which area was which. So far we hate experienced three days of fighting and no added signs designating it as an adult only pool. Food at the main restaurant was horrible. We are stuck here for eleven more days and I am pining to go home! Really regretting we did not stay at another hotel or a condo. They daily pool fights have been ridiculous for ALL parties to witness/experience. Our room has very outdated decor and the sink and toilet keep plugging up. It has been exhausting to call maintenance repeatedly, they say they have no other room to move us to (although staff is telling me and I can see plenty of open rooms). Enough is enough. I am truly homesick and cannot leave early as our stay has been pre paid with NO refunds. Gee I wonder why. Highly recommend staying in another hotel, we met a few guests who have stayed in the new Hyatt in Wailea, they said it was spectacular and had excellent service. They also are complaining about the issues here at the Grand Wailea. UGH.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed for our honeymoon at the Grand Wailea. Overall we were very happy with our stay.

Staff were all very warm, welcoming and friendly from check-in to check-out and throughout our stay. Though we arrived in the morning, well before our room was ready, they took our bags for us and offered us a room close by to shower and/or change in, so we could either enjoy the bar or the pool prior to settling into our room. No issues doing any room charges just under our names until the rooms were ready. And when we ventured out to visit the summit of the nearby Halelaka Mountain at 3AM for sunrise, the valets went to get a handful of beach towels for my wife to keep her warm and dry, when they looked at her and felt she was ill-dressed for the experience.

The property is huge - a total of 43 acres I believe someone said. Multiple restaurants and cafe on property as well as a long row of shops. You could easily stay here for a week, never leave the grounds, and never feel sick of it, exploring different areas each day. Its size and layout can be a bit overwhelming and unwieldy though, as sometimes there didn't seem to be as direct a route to get from point A to point B as there should be. And one could very easily get lost, especially first few days settling in. A bit more signage around the property wouldn't hurt.

Like the last reviewer, our stays clearly overlapped - we also were there during the same conference and pool maintenance and experienced similar issues. The hotel did do a good job notifying us of the pool maintenance prior to our stay, but as the last reviewer mentioned, it was certainly too late to do anything about it. And they were spot-on with the strain this caused, and while the hotel claimed one pool was "adults only", the only enforcement of the rule either of us heard was that kids "couldn't be seated" near that pool area, but they could still use the pool to access the water slides in getting from one pool to the next. Didn't quite cut it for us. If it's to be designated as adults only, then it should be completely adults only - there's a reason folks want that, and it isn't so much because a kid is quietly sitting in a pool chair next to me - it's for a break from the screaming and rough-housing that invariably comes with being in the pool and using the water slides. Really, that was the only big minus for us during our stay.

The room was very nice - we didn't have much of a view (the front parking lot), but we still had a nice terrace, and we spent the majority of our time enjoying the other areas around the property outside of the room. Beds were reasonably comfortable. Bathroom was huge with separate shower stall and jacuzzi tub.

My wife took in a spa treatment - bath and massage, and she told me that it was the best she had ever experienced, so big props there.

I also had the opportunity to take an outdoor photography class with the on-site NaPua Gallery, and it was outstanding. While it was for an extra cost, I thoroughly enjoyed it and was well worth it. They also offer various other adult activities as well from yoga to painting and the like - be sure to check out the activity schedule.

From a price standpoint, it certainly isn't inexpensive, but one needs to expect this to a certain extent - you're not at a Holiday Inn Express, and you pay for that level of service. All in all, I think the hotel delivered well. Despite the unfortunate pool maintenance, we had an outstanding stay and were made to feel right at home, both from the physical surroundings and the great staff.

Room Tip: If you'll be frequenting the pool often, see if you can get a first/second floor room on the nor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed every moment of it! The service was impeccable- everyone was so nice and friendly the entire stay.

The resort itself is HUGE- 43 acres are so. There are very many wings and you really do have to walk quite a bit to some of the rooms which can be annoying. Luckily, we were in the Chapel wing which is closer to the beach/ground floors. The grounds themselves are beautiful and well groomed.

As everyone notes, the resort itself is a bit outdated and could use a renovation but we actually quite enjoyed it. It felt very classic Hawaiian and charming. If you're looking for new and modern, this isn't the place for you.

Restaurants/Bars
Overall all, all were tasty and delicious but pricey. Then again, everything in Wailea is.
- Humuhumu is their main nice restaurant. It has a pricey menu but we went during their special which was buy one get one free entree during 530-630pm This worked out perfect because our 545pm reservation allowed us to enjoy the sunset at 620pm. Food was really good and well portioned. I'd recommend it.
- Alan Wong's Amasia: Asian fusion small plates. We came here for happy hour which worked out well but a few friends tried it for dinner and complained that the food would come out at all different times which made it difficult to eat as a group.
- Grand dining room: they offer a $31 breakfast buffet or a la carte menu. We had a la carte- pricey but quite good. We even got an amuse busche for breakfast!
- Cafe Kula: casual place to pick up some coffee, snacks, quick breakfast or lunch.

*** If you are a snokler, Wailea point/beach is also known as "Turtle Town/Arches". We didn't know this and went on a snorkling tour in which they brought us our own hotel! We snorkeled and saw 4-5 turtles just off the Wailea beach.

A few logistics
- One time porter fee is $10/pp. Housekeeping is $3/daily. $25 resort fee.
- Parking is only valet service. The valet was pretty quick and so nice. They always put 2 cold bottles of water in the car for you. Offered beach towels as well. $15/day.
- You have to get a daily bracelet to use the pools/towels. This was a lil annoying.
- Mini fridge available in the room. You can rent a microwave for $7/day if desired.

Overall, still highly recommended despite needing a bit of renovation.

Room Tip: Wailea and Molokini wings are higher so have a lil bit more ocean view but a far from beach/pools.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!