“Wonderful resort but not all rooms have a great view.” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   3850 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Herriman
“Wonderful resort but not all rooms have a great view.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went here on a company trip. I had been here before so I was excited to go back. The location is great and has great access to the beach. Also has a really nice and large pool. The swing in the pool was closed which was a bummer.
We got a room facing the back and it was near (what I assumed) was an AC of some sort. Kind of noisy so we were not able to keep our door to the balcony open. That was a little unfortunate but not sure what they could do about it.
We had the breakfast buffet every morning. It was loaded with all sorts of great things. Try the pancakes/waffles with coconut syrup and sprinkle macadamia nuts on the top. I got it every morning. Lots of fresh fruit to choose from as well.
Since we had a car, we did not eat any dinner at the reposrt. Did that last time. Remember, this is a world class resort so food is not cheap (breakfast buffet is about $35 per person, per day). We saved money by renting a car and going into some of the towns for dinners. Also got to see some cool areas.
The service staff was top notch and I really liked the inside of our room. Very comfortable beds and the temperature was always right. Great, large bathroom as well.

Room Tip: Ask to NOT have a room by the secondary valet. Too noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Santa Paula, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We just returned from a glorious 7 days in beautiful Maui. We have visited Maui several times, our first time being our honeymoon back in 1992, where we stayed at the Westin Maui. We've stayed at the Hyatt on Ka'anapali, We have always stayed on Ka'anapli Beach, so although we have visited the Wailea area on previous trips, this was our first time actually staying on this side of the island.

When you turn into the entrance at the Grand Wailea, you drive under beautiful huge trees that are strung with thousands of little white lights. They look exceptionally beautiful in the evening time, a true "enchanted forest." To your right is a beautiful (and huge) rock waterfall, that although is man made, really looks like something you might find on the road to Hana. We were greeted quickly by a valet and met by a wonderful greeter with our fresh flower lei as our bags were tended to by the bellman. We found our way in to the registration desk and were immediately helped by a very friendly person who had all of our room information waiting for us already.

We were here on an incentive trip through a company we purchase a lot of product from for our company. We knew we had a suite and found that our suite was located in the prestigious Napua Club wing. Check-in took all of 3 minutes and we were shown the way to our room.

We were in room 7065, one of only 7 Napua suites on the property. The room is over 1300 square feet, with a very large lanai/balcony that had a table and chairs as well as a nice, cushioned chaise lounge. Previous reviews indicated that the lanai furniture was possibly in need of refreshing, but our wooden furniture seemed in good condition and the pleasantly patterned cushions all seemed to be in good repair and were not faded or worn.

As you enter the suite, you have a foyer area with a nice table for setting things and two lamps for light, a very large hall closet for storing clothes, shoes and bags as well as a nice guest bathroom. From there, you entered a nicely sized living room with a big screen TV, surround sound equipment, a DVD player, etc. There is a nicely sized L-shaped sectional couch and a very large slider that allows access to the nicely sized balcony/lanai. It also has wonderful sliding shutters that can be closed over the sliding door for additional privacy or light blocking. The room is adequately sized, the floors are marble, and have a large area rug that warms up the room nicely. My husband was able to spend each morning in the living room watching TV, using that restroom, etc. without bothering me while I continued to sleep, as he rose earlier than I did each morning.

Attached to the living room, located sort of in the back corner is the kitchenette area where you will find adequate storage space to store anything you might have brought along with you. We stopped at Costco before arriving at the hotel and purchased a case or two of things to drink and some light snacks for around the pool and evening balcony munching. I highly recommend this as snacks on the resort are plentiful but come at a high price point. There was a small refrigerator stocked with 2 complimentary bottles of water (only on the first day of your stay.)

The bedroom is another nicely sized room with a King bed, an adequately sized dresser with 2 huge drawers and one smaller drawer. No surround sound in the bedroom area. There is a nice alarm clock/radio combo unit on the bedside table that has an iPod charging dock as well. There is another large slider in the bedroom area that allows access to the large balcony/lanai. The bed is probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, in a hotel. They will change your linens daily if you request it by placing a change linen card on the bed, otherwise, your bed will be remade up with the same bed linens for the duration of your stay.

From the bedroom there is a small room with another large closet and double doors that open up into the large bathroom. There is a large glass enclosed shower and a quite large soaking tub. Towels are plentiful and refreshed twice a day, which I really appreciated. There are double sinks with plenty of hand towels and washcloths, and you are treated to full size bottles of Spa Grande amenities such as Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, and Lotion. These are also replenished twice daily, if they need to be replaced. There is an attached toilet room, which is exactly what you'd expect with a toilet, privacy door and a phone (that I wouldn't recommend touching; phones and restrooms just don't seem like a good idea..ew!) My one little nitpicky thing about the restrooms would have to be the low toilets. They are quite low, with the handle to flush located on the sides, and it just seemed like quite a dip down to flush the toilets. But truly, this is just a small nuisance, but was noticeable. You become accustomed to it as your trip progresses.

Some previous reviews mention some issues with the rooms and other areas of the resort needing an overhaul. I actually found the suite completely acceptable as far as wear and tear go. I didn't notice any peeling paint or things falling apart. The one and only thing I found not in working order was the lightbulb in the bedside table on my side of the bed, but I didn't use it enough to request an additional light, or even switch one out with another lamp in the room myself. There are ceiling fans in each room but neither has a light in it, so you will be using the wall lamps throughout the room. There is an iron and ironing board in the large closet in the bedroom as well as additional shelving, plenty of room for shoes and bags, and a programmable safe for your valuables.

The pools are nice at this resort, and although we didn't bring our kids this time, we still allowed ourselves a little time to wade around in them ourselves. We are a little spoiled by the pools at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas; they are not as awe-inspiring as the water resort they have there. Interestingly, we are in the pool construction industry,and we were visiting the Grand Wailea this time on an incentive trip we earned through one the companies we buy product from. I found the pools to be clean, although I think they closed certain areas much too early, but I realize it's winter time and maybe their summer hours are different. The Tarzan rope area was blocked off by barricades and thus unusable. Not a big deal, but had we brought our kids, my son would have surely been disappointed.

We enjoyed a Cabana on our trip (complimentary this time but I heard they are $275 a day normally) and we also had a complimentary Cabella (2 person, normally $95/day I think she said) right between the beach/ocean and the pool. I highly recommend these as I felt we got much better service as far as lunch and drinks went, when we wanted to dine by the pools. Notably, the best service we received was by our service attendant " KAORI" who was serving us at our cabella. She was extremely friendly and kind and I enjoyed her sweet attitude. She was so speedy I even teased her about how quickly she was able to bring us our drinks and the nachos. We spent a 1/2 a day at an upper pool on our last full day at the resort when there was a wine tasting event on the premises. They must have been short staffed, as we had to finally ask someone to send a service person up to assist us (and the many others who were wanting to get drinks and food.) Once he arrived, he took our orders and we then waited 45 minutes to an hour for everything to be delivered. My frozen lemon drink arrived as more of a half melted concoction of lemon something or other. Granted, it was a busy day on the resort (Saturday) and there was the wine tasting event as well. After our first order, though, he did come by another time with a tray full of ice waters which I thought was nice. We took a swim around the pools several times to pass the time, but it was definitely in contrast to the speedy service we received from Kaori on previous days. We enjoyed her so much, we wanted to find the area she might be working in to sit there again. She is a definite asset to Grand Wailea's service staff.

In general, I found any staff we encountered to be very friendly and helpful from the registration desk to the young lady who helped us when we came down to get our cabbalas. I utilized our own private Napua concierge when I had a question about a couple things. The bellman were friendly and had our bags in our rooms before we could even blink, it seemed. Our resort fee was waived for our entire stay and our nightly valet parking fee was reduced to $10/day, which was nice. These seemed to be major complaints of other reviewers and I appreciated the fact that we were spared the added expenses, even though our trip was taken care of by the company putting on our event, including our suite. From what I understand, our suite is normally upwards of $2000+ a night.

We enjoyed a complimentary (thanks again to the incentive trip) buffet in the Grand Dining room each morning, (except for one where we spend the day in Lahaina and ate breakfast along the shore at the "Aloha Mixed Plate", a place we found on our last trip to Maui last February.) Food was good, I enjoyed the fresh omelette station and had one made each morning to order. Again this was complimentary for our stay, but the regular bill was about $63 each morning for breakfast for the two of us when I would look at the check I had to sign. I'd venture to say you will find tastier fare elsewhere off property, if you are willing to spend $63 for breakfast each morning.

Any dinners we ate on property were catered by the company we were there with, so I cannot review the restaurants and we chose to eat at Mama's Fish House on our one nights at leisure from the events being thrown by the company. We contemplated Humu, but based on everyone's reviews, were swayed to try Mama's Fish House. I heard wonderful things about Humu and may consider a dinner there on a return trip. Had we not had so many catered dinners on our incentive trip, we surely would have enjoyed a meal here, as the ambiance looks wonderful. We passed by the restaurant everyday on our stroll down through the gardens.

Our stay at the Grand Wailea was wonderful and we found ourselves wishing we had brought our children along. Even though it is nice to get away for our 20th Anniversary, the resort really is geared toward families and we found this made us miss our children very much. "Oh, they would have loved these rapids..." "Oh, they would have loved paddle boarding on the beach...." " It would be so fun to do this water elevator with the kids!" So all in all, it's a family resort. Perhaps the Four Seasons next door would be a bit more secluded and romantic, without all the constant reminders that we had left all 3 of our "little peoples" at home. (ages 10,12 and 16.)

My husband still think she enjoys the Ka'anapali side of the island better, yet we also do love to spend at least one day down at Big Beach, just down past the Wailea. Whether we return to the Grand Wailea to stay, I'm not sure... but I do know I will be back to the Shops at Wailea for some fun shopping again the next time we return, as my husband spoiled me with a trip to the Louis Vuitton store and Tiffany--Happy 20th to me!! :)

If you don't mind paying top dollar for a room/suite and are family oriented, the Grand Wailea is a fine hotel. If you want quiet seclusion, you might want to opt for the Four Seasons next door, or even perhaps the Ritz-Carlton over in Kapalua. We are very glad we were able to experience the Grand Wailea on this trip and come back with wonderful memories and pictures.

Room Tip: The Napua Suite (7065) is wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

What a great resort and property. I remember when Kihei was a sleepy little town and now the Kiehi/ Wailea area is very developed however once you check in to the Grand Wailea you can enjoy great accommodations with great restaurants, the pools, the ocean and never have to leave if you don't want to.
We just got back from an industry event of 1500 people and the resort handled everything seamlessly including accommodations and many events , in fact on one night having another large event while we were having a 1500 person event both with bands, food service etc. was coordinated to a tee.
Very nice resort and very laid back with all you need in one place.

Room Tip: Pretty much all rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was a little worried about our visit because of all the talk about the sale of the property. When we drove up it all seemed the same except the Lei greeting wasn't as nice as it has been in the past. Get ready for the hefty valet charge, they don't offer self parking anymore. When you use your car throughout your stay they do provide a couple of small bottles of water (it's really delicious water) but not enough to warrant the $30 charge per day. Our room was very nice it was near Humu's and close to the pools but not so close that we heard all the noise. We had a partial oceanview. Here is the problem with the location. We also had breakfast included everyday and it was at the other end of the hotel so we had a hike every morning. It was very close to the casual dining choice, however. The rope swing was not there. They were just letting people jump in. We asked and were told that it was out for repair for a couple of months. Then we noticed that there were small repairs and upkeep needed all over the resort. I hope the new owners will take care of this. For the price, it should all be taken care of. The first part of our stay was delightful because the hotel was practically empty. The pools were free from crowds but that also meant that the staff was cut drastically in the pool area. That was disappointing. At the end of the stay there was at least one convention in house and then it was quite full but not overly so. We did visit the Spa (wonderful!) and Humu's for dinner. Overall a good time was had by all but I hope that some work will be done to this hotel soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Gigantic, oversized, Vegas-like resort situated on a beautiful beach. Went there for dinner and drinks - sooooooo glad we did not spend $1000 a night to stay there. The Resort has: drunken vacationers throwing up drinking purple hooter shots, every single kind of artwork, decor and sculpture imaginable, and a "floating wedding chapel" situated atop a Koi pond, next to the kiddie pool and below the lobby threshold. Would recommend for: Spring breaking college kids, and shotgun weddings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
blynx1, Director of Sales at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Aloha and thank you for coming to Grand Wailea for dinner and drinks. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us. We are a little confused by the comments, however. It is true we have a lot of artwork. We have a multi-million dollar art collection throughout the resort as well as a beautiful gallery of art for sale. One of our most noted artists is Botero of which the original owner of the hotel had several bronze sculptures commissioned. Additionally, our guests enjoy our guided art tours throughout the property.

We do in fact have a beautiful wedding chapel on site. It does indeed appear to be floating in a Koi pond. We feature several pictures of our grounds on our website and many are of the chapel. I encourage the readers of this review to visit our website’s photo gallery and view our chapel. It is perhaps our biggest draw for couples seeking romantic places to get married and the farthest you can get from a "Vegas" style shot gun wedding chapel. Additionally it is on the opposite side of our family pools and is adjacent to the adult’s only pool.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I chose to stay at the Grand Wailea after reading an article about the pool - it definitely did not disappoint. I was worried that with all the waterslides, etc., it might be overrun with children, but it wasn’t. The area is so large, with plenty of different areas of pool chairs, that it actually felt less crowded than many other hotel pools. Make sure to try the water elevator! The beach was also really nice, with showers available to rinse the sand off. The room itself was large with a nice desk area. The bed was super comfortable. Service was also great. The public areas are beautiful. The artwork is amazing, I loved the Botero sculptures. Make sure to check out Amasia. This is the best restaurant on the property and is truly amazing.
Three things to be aware of: 1. This is a very large property so it can take quite a bit of walking to get from one place to another. 2. Valet parking is mandatory. Aside for the expense of the parking and then having to tip a valet every time we wanted our car, it was just annoying. If you are the type of person who mainly stays put at the hotel, this won’t be a problem; but, Maui has so many interesting things to do outside of the hotel that you really ought to try and get out. We left the hotel several times each day, so to constantly be having to deal with the valet got a little old. 3. Eating at the hotel is very pricy (not really a surprise). There is a little a la carte bakery/food area in with the shops that you could pick up breakfast or lunch in, but that was so expensive and not really that good, that in the end we ended up eating in the nicer restaurants every time we ate at the hotel. All in all, this is a fabulous hotel. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
tucson az
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel design is so overwrought and gaudy it is scary. Seriously. Just walking through the hotel makes me nervous in a strange way, like a bad nightmare. It seems very crowded, though, so somebody must like it.

Stayed December 2012
Art is very subjective and the grounds were designed to take advantage of the natural wonders of Hawaii while staying in context with the original developers vision of being surrounded by nature, water, light, flowers, art and trees.

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!