“Great resort overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Oklahoma City
“Great resort overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Overall the Grand Wailea is a great resort with very attentive and friendly staff. They definitely try to anticipate what you need/want before you even know you want it. The valets were very quick and courteous. The check in was smooth and fast with no issues. The extra charges for portage, valet, resort fees are a tad annoying and would rather they were built into the room rates but you forget about it as soon as you walk to through the grand, open-air lobby with fountains, pools, flowers, statues. The pools were amazing! Amazing slides, waterfalls, lazy river, water elevator – it is a water park! This property is a maze, so be sure to bring your map with you or you can easily get turned around.

My only critique is that as soon as you exit the elevator on your floor you see that they just didn’t pay attention to some maintenance details. The hall walls were all dirty, dingy, dented, chipping paint, scuffs. I would just expect for the 5 star rating all parts of the property would be maintained. The entrance to the room is a tad narrow, making it difficult to get your luggage in and out but the rest of the room was amazing. The beds were heavenly and the bedding was great! Had a grand ocean view room and you can watch the sunset and hear the waves on the property’s private beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Grand Wailea, a place for rich people. Well, the hotel outlook and inside is nice. They have their own beach... But no life guards for the beach. Though it's a glamorous hotel with a beautiful Spa, but i had no way, other than writing this review, as it looked i was in a five star jail and now i just been released from a jail.

These are my opinions as a resort owner, what i did in my resort for guest comfort, and what i expected from this lavish resort and what i got...

The first thing, i know it's america, filled with technology... But again, the place is so green and so natural, i think because of that, they should avoid using those IVRs. In my country, IVR became so annoying, now people made parody commercials on IVRs, "press 1 for male maid, press 2 for female maid... Press 1 for black, press 2 for white...". This means when i call to any where, it's an IVR saying press 1 for this, 2 for that. For example, i most of the time called room service for foods... The number is 54 and then for room service you have to press 1 when the ivr prompts you. 2 is for some other service. Why?? Why dont you just publish the number as 541??? Also after the ivr, it keeps ringing... And after 2 to 3 rings, a record keeps playing, aloha for room service, call will be personally handled shortly... Mahalo for holding... And after 3-4 more rings, somebody will pick that up... I calculated the timings, its around 7-8 rings atleast. Why?? In our case, we set the standard for direct human contact and within 3rings.

I was sick one night... I asked to the room service, " do you have mango juice?" The lady replied no... I asked even if you have raw mango or any mango item, please let me know... Im kinda sick and i need that... The lady replied "we dont sell mango". I thought mango is not available in this island of maui... But later on i came to know, its plenty of those... Its just this hotel dont have it...

That same night i asked them to send be a banana, sliced or un sliced, as mango is not available and i'm sick... The lady replied "we have banana... Bt we dont sell them at night"... What is this... The next morning i asked for a banana and they gave that... And when its night, again, "sir, we dont sell banana at night"...

And a just banana i asked for delivery to my room, they charged extra $5 for just that, along with the price of banana... This is totally un accepted... In my hotel, there is no extra room service, the service charge is always added... Regardless of you take it in room or in resturant.

I on the other night asked for a soup... The plain straight reply, "we dont give soup at night"... And in day time, when i asked for a vegetable clear soup, which is nothing but a few veggies boiled in water with some salt... They said we have only onion soup... Who the hell is going to eat a bowl of onion???

I asked them if you guys have steamed plain rice... And the reply is "we do only the menu items"... Finally. Have understood, i have to die where without food. Everyday it was just bread toasted with butter or jam... Huh... Then i asked them guys, do you have green chili?? In your kitchen?? I need a fresh raw green chili. i'll eat pop corn with it as i am dying to get some spicy food and you dont have it... I also said, if you dont have it, please let me know over phone... Huh... They just forgot... And when the next day again i said, then one guy brought 2red chilis size of just 8mm roughly... I dont know what the hell is their problem...

And doesnt matter what ever you give order to the room service, it either a big dish or just a glass of water, it will take 30mins to arrive at your room. Dish needs preparation time, but i dont know what the hell is wrong with the glass of water... Do they pump it then filter and boil and cool and re filter it???

Ad their menu is really not rich... They should either declare this hotel as a "American only" hotel... Or else if they want to say international, then they should have more foods, including indians...

My chefs can give most of the eastern, western foods... Even at night, they can give rice, some curry, soups...

This hotels f&b is Pathetic... And having a big lobby and a large pool is not just everything... They really need to be more professional and need a lot more upgrade in staff and trainings. Because some times they even forget to do the turn down at night, though they says that its dual turndown a day...

It was my pathetic experience there... I will come to maui surely, as it is beautiful... But will not come to this place... Never... Even i got their membership program offers, but who cares?? I dont want to invest a single penny on this place...

Room Tip: Try to get the ground floor chapel wing... Sea view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We are from Maui and will not be back to this hotel, ever. Not only was part of the pool closed, lunch for four was $168 and included salads, sandwiches and nachos. Their are so many places "reserved" for additional fees, there is almost no place to sit at the pool unless you would like to pay $300 for a private cabana, even though several of those were empty. Tried to sit at chairs on the beach and were told we couldn't sit in those either, even though it was 7am and the beach was empty! Don't recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax and be themselves or be comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here in November, 2012. I was a bit turned off by the $30 a day valet on top of the daily resort fee of $25, on top of the over priced drinks etc etc...It did not help that when we checked in, we had to wait 4 hours in the lobby for our room to be ready - I know check in is not until 4 pm. and rooms can't be guaranteed, but its a huge resort and it was not that busy. I've only ever had to wait once before for a room until the posted check in time, and that was at a sh@#y hotel in the middle of nowhere.

That was it though for disappointments. We ended up being upgraded to an ocean view room, they had decked out our room with flowers for our romantic trip. The pool was fun, the food was good (Amasia was delicious) and everyone was extremely polite, courteous and attentive.

I would go again. p.s. - I didn't see ANY non ocean facing rooms, so I suspect that you will always be upgraded to one. Has anyone stayed in a non ocean facing room? Let me know.

Room Tip: We suspect that there are no non-ocean facing rooms. Book accordingly.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leesville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a great stay from start to finish, excellent service from the front desk, restaurants, housekeeping, valets, and room service. Amazing view of the ocean and a short walk through the property to the beach. Having read some of the negative reviews, the resort is showing some signs of aging but is still a fantastic place. Yes, the one place to get breakfast is pricey, but serving sizes were great and it was delicious. I probably shelled out $80 in tips for valet parking, but that's part of valet parking and a cost we budgeted in to the trip. As far as the beach we had very little wait time for bracelets, and while I thought it a bit annoying to have to reserve a beach chair, the resort has clearly had issues with non-guests using their pools, etc. and if those are the control measures that let me enjoy my time on the beach or by the pool, so be it. Overall, a great experience, wonderful staff, and hope to stay there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Doylestown, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Checked into the Grand Wailea today. I've gotta say, the standards have dropped since our last visit. We asked for an upgrade since we are Gold VIPs with Hilton, and we were met with attitude. Aaron was the manager on duty, and he was downright nasty. If there weren't any upgrades available, I would have understood. Apparently, upgrades are at the mangers discretion and he clearly had a chip on his shoulder. There were rooms available inthe Napua tower, but not for us The room we got was actually pretty nice. Room 9070. Nice sunset view, on the top floor.
I wasn't fond of the clientele here. If you want shade, you need to rent a cabana. The biggest cabana was occupied by a really large group. They had teenagers that we're drinking alcohol to the point of bing sick. I saw one boy throwing up in a trash can, on the floor, and on his clothing. The staff didn't flinch. Instead, they sent in the cleanup crew with mops. We stayed at the Maui Coast hotel before Coming to Grand Wilea. It was a nice, low key hotel, with the same amenities as Wailea. Same brand coffee in the rooms, same ice bucket, Really large suites, etc. No vomiting teenagers though, and no 14 dollar hot dogs.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. The staff are very nice and very helpful. The activities are excellent, from the Spa to the many pools and restaurants, many wonderful shops. pleasure to have become a member.

John C.

Room Tip: Full ocean view is what we reccomend.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!