“Ultimate getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Long Island, NY
“Ultimate getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our honeymoon was awesome. We stayed in the Napua Tower which is a must for us every trip. The level of service is totally different from the regular part of the resort. We had someone personally walk us up to our concierge to the floor we were staying on. The Spa was great and the amenities were right on. If you are looking for a night life ,however, things get quiet between 10 and 11:30 the one bar on the property shuts down. Definitley a couples place and not singles

Room Tip: Stay in Napua Tower
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Resort is beautiful. No place to go for a reasonably priced sandwich. The food was good but expensive as usual for waldorf. A place as fine as this should not put powdered creamer in room for coffee

• Stayed May 2012
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is a great hotel if you have kids. My daughter is 13 and we had been wanting to go to the Grand Wailea for years because she has loved to swim since she was 11 months old. We were afraid that we had waited too long to go since she is a teenager now but we were wrong. She LOVED the pools. There are several pools, several slides, a lazy river, a tarzan rope swing into the water, a water elevator, an adult pool, lots of jacuzzis and a scuba training area.

The beach is very nice there and the snorkeling is very good. Lots of turtles. We rented stand up paddle boards and that was really fun too.

We stayed 6 days which might have been overkill. The hotel was crowded, it wasn't easy to find loungers by the pool unless you camped out early and we don't do that. We had just been at a Four Seasons and were used to that level of service and that is not what you get at the Grand Wailea. They charge you for every little thing and a bottle of Coke is $5 at the market there.

The spa is FANTASTIC. Spas are one of my favorite places on earth so I have been to several. This is one of the nicest I have ever been to because of all the unique things they have to enjoy in addition to the treatment you get. There are soaking tubs filled with lots of great minerals and bath salts, etc., there are roman showers, steam, sauna, two different types of jacuzzis and cool showers with lots of little jets.

The restaurants are nothing special which is surprising. You would think there would be at least one really nice restaurant at a property that size. Treat yourself and go to the Four Seasons right next door or to the Marriott which is a nice little walk on the path along the ocean side of the hotel.

The is a great mall right next door that has lots of great shops, some decent restaurants, and a market where you should buy your sodas, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have an aversion to large chain hotels and resorts. Hands down, I prefer an intimate place, where you get personalized help and recommendations. To my astonishment, that is exactly what we received during our stay at the Grand Wailea. The reason that brought us here: a very good friend's wedding, and the number of children here with our group of 13.

First, we received a room upgrade at check-in. Instead of the parking lot view, we have a view of the chapel, grounds and partial ocean view. It is gorgeous. The hotel seems full, so I'm not sure why the upgrade, but wow, thank you. Our room is in the Chapel Wing, and is large, extremely well furnished, quiet. The grounds are meticulous, very well cared for. The pools, rivers, slides, etc. are beyond everything you've heard about. So much fun! Yes, getting a chair is work, especially in the shade. Early bird gets the worm in a resort this size. And the spa...oh, wowza. I like spas, I go to them at home (guess I should review them?). Divine. We went towards the end of the day, enjoyed just about every pool, got massages, and it was lovely for every experience. Unforgettable. I'm not that easily impressed either, it is so unexpected for me to be writing such a glowing review for here.

Second, the food. Two extremes here. The bad: the poolside restaurant we went to was understaffed, the waiter was surly. The food was fine. Also, two experiences in the lobby bar, good service. One set of appetizers was delicious. The seared ahi was dreadful the second time we went. Mushy. But the cocktails were incredible (try the coconut martini!! Out of this world). And the divine foodie experience: there is a new restaurant opening here, AmAsia by chef Alan Wong. Absolutely a must try. We've eaten there twice, and want to go back. Everything was incredible. And their ahi...oh, wow.

Third. I never thought I'd have to address this is a review. I got incredibly sick our first night here. The dehydration from the plane and the stress of travel triggered one of my health problems. At around 5:30 in the morning, we finally called the hotel operator for help - we were hoping for a hotel doctor. What followed was the kindest, most comprehensive and literally vacation saving care ever. The hotel operator had clearly received training on how to handle phone calls like mine. She asked several specific questions, then told us that our answers met all of the criteria for the circumstances under which they would like to call an ambulance. The hotel manager was at our door within minutes, followed shortly by hotel security. The paramedics took a bit longer, but in the meantime security had been asking us questions that they relayed to the paramedics. I did end up going to the hospital for treatment. The hotel manager stayed with my husband while I got loaded into the ambulance, provided him directions to the hospital and stayed with him until valet had retrieved our car and we were all under way, ambulance and husband in car to bring me back hours later. About 30 hours later, hotel security followed up to check in with us. Absolutely amazing care, they literally saved our entire vacation.

So finally, fourth. It is a huge hotel. They are discreet. I am not known as the woman that had to go to the hospital, that entire experience was kept under wraps. You definitely have an anonymity at a hotel this large. But they handle it extremely well, unlike other large resorts I've been to. They don't pretend at an intimacy or a familiarity with you - it is too simply too big to think that they'll remember you from seating you at a table the night before. But they are very kind, very courteous, and oh so helpful. I can definitely see how someone would feel out of synch and not comfortable here. But if you can adapt to the tone here, you'll find that they provide absolutely incredible service in a glorious setting.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in the chapel wing, and enjoyed every aspect of the location.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights, great location, many pools and a great beach to relax and swim. With 700 rooms it is a large hotel but you still have the feeling it's not too busy!
The price I find a bit high but this is perhaps because I am from Holland and find $700 a bit high for just a room.

• Stayed April 2012
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Initially, I tried to abbreviate my review of the Grand Wailea. After thoughtful consideration, I decided there was no reason to undersell the experience we had. It was simply amazing.

The service was perfect. The staff was always cordial and happy; very relaxed demeanor but eager to assist. I have to sincerely thank Paige H. for all her assistance! Paige went out of her way to make sure we have the best Anniversary celebration. She gave us great advice on local sights and activities. She also helped me arrange to have flowers delivered to our room prior to arrival - even going a step further and ensuring we had a fresh fruit and cheese tray waiting for us. We had a delayed flight into Maui and this was a much appreciated surprise. We arrived at midnight, the staff - from the valet to the front desk - were just pleasant and excited about our arrival as if we had arrived in the middle of the day. They made us feel like celebrities, greeting us with warm smiles, a relaxing tone of voice, and excellent customer service. The young lady that checked us into our room was very efficient. I loved that she was cognizant of our traveling such a long way (from Washington DC), she said "I will make sure we get you settled in quickly, would you like to hear a few things about the hotel before you go?" I really appreciate that she asked instead of just blurting out the typical "The elevators down the hall. You want a wake up call?"

The staff is truly amazing. From the Groundskeeper that said "Aloha" and asked if I was having a good time every time he saw me, to the Spa staff that made sure my every need was cared for (water, food, relaxation), to the folks at the pool and beach - doing everything they could to make sure we were comfortable and safe. One day we had really high winds, and the staff on the beach and at the swimming pool all came over to explain why they needed to pull the umbrellas down, and offered to quickly put them back up when the winds calmed. The consistent attention to detail, the warm and practical pleasantries, every staff member at the Waldorf Astoria was committed to Genuine, Authentic, Real Life, Excellent Customer Service!

I am more than satisfied that I received full value for the cost of this experience. My recommendation to all is to GO BIG when you come here. Top 3 Things that made me feel like it was worth the money: 1) CHEF ISAAC BANCACO AND HIS AWESOME BAND OF CULINARY SUPER HEROS AT Humuhumunukunukuapua'a ! I have traveled and eaten at great restaurants in 44 US states and 5 other countries. The dinner prepared by Chef Bancaco and his Crew was hands down the absolute greatest meal I've ever had. This team is a true manifestation of why we use the phrase "Culinary Arts". They made some of the most familiar, and unfamiliar dishes, into a magnificent presentations of fresh, savory, and decadent flavors with the best ingredients I've ever had on my palette. Our host for the evening was Christine and she was an absolute delight. Amazing smile and personality, friendly and never obtrusive. She was a quintessential professional, ensuring we had the best dining experience you could possibly have! 2) SPA GRANDE - I will put it this way, if your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, life partner/significant other ever brings you to the Grand Wailea...wait, to Maui...no, to Hawaii...if you end up on the West Coast of the United States and they don't mention/offer/book immediately for a session at Spa Grande, you should question the foundation of your relationship because I think they Hate Your Face, or they simply never want you to be happy! LOL!! This Spa is the single greatest treatment you will ever receive. The website/brochure, even all the reviews combined about this Spa could not tell you how amazing this staff and the amenities are. This place will make you remodel your home and take out a bedroom just to redecorate your bathroom. Outside of falling in love with my wife, I cant remember a moment when i've felt more amazing. 3) HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS - I started to write about the open air architecture, lush exotic gardens, cascading waterfalls throughout the hotel grounds, breakfast overlooking a beach paradise, oversized tub and walk-in shower, evening turn down service with a note of gratitude and well wishes left of your bed, and morning sunrise with a garden view in the foreground of the beach backdrop (gasp)! But I would have just limited the outstanding experience we had at the RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME WORLD CLASS POOLS & BEACH! I can't describe the pools better than the website does, but let me tell you...Believe it! Not only is it gorgeous, but it seems to go on and on forever! And the staff and crew that manage all aspects of the pool and beach areas are incredible. Again, always friendly, always smiling, very engaging and eager to assist.

This is an amazing place. Top Notch Hilton Quality!

Here are some intangible reasons why this place is even more incredible than what I could ever hope to describe. 1) there were 2 conventions being held at this hotel while we were there. I have no idea where they were. That's right. None of my relaxation, reservations, or activities were ever disrupted by the fact that there was a convention of 200 - 600 extra people at the hotel. 2) We stayed there for a week and the Concierge Service is the best in the world. They speak several languages. They listen to you and follow up on your specific request. They make recommendations that are honest and candid. They are exceptionally informative and resourceful - always have an answer or suggestion waiting no matter how obscure or normal your request may be. Oh..and by the way, when the Valet brings your car around, they have ice cold water waiting in the cup holders for you, they have beach towels available if you need them, and they will provide you with direction to anywhere on the island. Seriously, we were there for 7 full days and we must have interacted with more than a dozen valets or concierges -- they were all cordial, pleasant, informative, happy, and smiling.

I could go on but i feel like no one will ever read this review if I do. I should contact a travel guide and give them my feedback. This place is amazing! If you have love in your heart and air in your lungs, work your fingers to the bone until you can get to the Grand Wailea -- and when you eat at Humu's, don't forget to tell Chef Isaac that his buddy Dion sent you! Seriously, GO THERE AND HAVE THE HULA PIE!!! You're welcome.

Room Tip: The Garden View Room has a fantastic view and its located in a quiet area. One thing I noticed is t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

AMAZING!!! This is by far the best resort I have ever stayed in and def the best in maui! I can't imagine why someone would give this place less than 5 stars....
The rooms were spotless with spectacular views. The grounds are beautiful and well kept and the staff is extremely wonderful. It really doesn't get better than this!

If your looking for a luxurious vacation, this is it... couldn't ask for a better honeymoon, they definetly exceeded my expectations. Can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!