“Well worth the money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Fort Worth, Texas
“Well worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I took my children for our first trip to Maui and we loved this resort! The property is pristine, lush, and large. The kids and I both absolutely loved the pools-they have multiple pools connected to one another with water slides that we did over and over and over! They also have a water elevator that was fun, as well. The beach is nice and the staff were very accommodating. We enjoyed our stay and will most likely return!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

We just love the Grand Wailea! We are here for the first time celebrating our 27th anniversary and the hotel and scenery is breath taking. From the moment we checked in the bellmen, front desk, beach and pool attendants are very friendly and attentive. We haven't checked out yet but are already planning our next visit. Aloha

• Stayed October 2011
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I would like to premise this review by acknowledging that there were some very lovely and professional individuals working at The Grand Wailea; however, the incident that took place by the pool will ensure that I never visit this hotel again. I was getting married in Maui and had over 60 family and friends flying in for the festivities the week before including my now husband's family and my own. I had arranged for many to stay at The Grand Wailea and was eager to relax and enjoy time with family before the big day.My now husband and I decided to go down to the pool for a little r&r and went to get 2 towels. The woman working behind the counter informed me I would need to wear a wristband. I politely told her I was getting married in a few days, and that I would rather not wear it to avoid tan lines in pictures. She told me it was mandatory and that I would not be "allowed" to stay if I didn't wear it. I asked to speak with the manager thinking that she would be empathetic to the bride-to-be, and I was met with the same response in a ruder tone. I looked at my husband and said that this was so silly and unreasonable, and that I thought we were staying at a five star resort and not checking into a nightclub. She shoved the towels at us rudely, and I thanked her for her understanding even though I was in shock over this treatment. I tried to relax, but felt on edge give this needless altercation. The next day, I returned to the pool with my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, and her two little boys (the men decided to golfing instead). My mother-in-law had set up some chairs for us, and I went to go get a drink with my toddler nephew. While on my way, I saw one of the employees who had refused to give me the towel initially, and she screamed out, "Maam, you're going to need a bracelet to be in the pool area." I told her, "I think we covered this yesterday." and she began bad-mouthing me (vulgar language included!) to a fellow employee while I was holding my nephew! I returned to my mother-in-law, and the female employee sent security(a young fellow) to inform me to go put on a wristband. So humiliating! My mother-in-law informed him that we had several rooms in the hotel, and that she could show our keys-as it seemed to her that the whole wristband practice was to avoid non-guests from entering the pool. He said no, and she responded by saying that perhaps I could pin it to my bathing suit as I was getting married in a few days. He rudely said no again. By this point I was close to tears and anything but relaxed! I actually had to go back to the towel lady who had just been speaking badly of me and put on a wristband. I tried to be rational with her, and tell her that in no way was I trying to be disrespectful, I just didn't want tan lines for my wedding photos. She said, "I'm just doing my job." If an employee's job is to embarrass a guest and make a bride nearly cry, then I suppose she did her job. My husband returned from golf, and was furious at how I had been treated. We decided to move to The Four Seasons-which could not have been a more wonderful experience. It really is a shame that amongst some employees there is more of an emphasis on having guests wear wristbands than treating loyal guests who have been coming to the hotel for years with respect and kindness. If you want a first-class/non-wristband friendly experience, choose The Four Seasons or the Marriott.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Beverly Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Front Office staff, managers were very rude and uncordial. Complaints in regards to my bill was directed to accounting staff where only rude employees again that did not care of the amount of money I was putting into their pockets. NO ALOHA spirit at all. As I walked the grounds and lobby I saw employees from Front Office DRESSED in their white nurse looking uniform shopping and purchasing food. Very unprofessional to pay and be charged so much and I had to stand in line again with the same rude people to purchase a meal for my family. Very dissatisfied and not a fan of feeling like I didn't matter or that i was replaceable. Management should keep employees out of site and away IN UNIFORM. Ununiformed employees were also noticeable for they were openly speaking of their 30% employee discount that I was not granted and eligible for. Employees walking around laughing and giggling of the people over paying for rooms they pay $150 for...NO PROFESSIONALISM AT ALL! I will NOT be returning to this UNgrand hotel. I will stay at the Ritz or Four Seasons where I am welcomed and treated as an guest with ALOHA.

Room Tip: Rooms by chapel is nice but far from the pools. Rooms by the pool are good for they are close to the...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Ithaca, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Gorgeous property, absolutely. But the staff didn't seem to live Aloha. Concierge tapped away on her keyboard while I stood right in front of her - wouldn't even look up to say hello or I'll be with you in a minute. Valet seemed frenzied all the time. Towel woman at the pool was especially rude, giving me attitude b/c I asked why I had to wear a green bracelet. If I go again I'll stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orem, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Love the property! Loved the church, the pools, the beach, the room, the waterfalls. Great service! Traveled in June 2010.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Foster City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We have been coming to the Grand for many years and are NEVER disappointed. It really is our home away from home. My husband suprised me with a birthday to Hawaii. We considered going elsewhere but made the choice to return. Since it was my birthday we were given a couple of discount coupons to wonderful resturants on the property and a FREE bottle of Champagne and upgraded our room. Bonus!!! We look forward to catching up with employess such as BELL (a wonderful bell man who has just about become family)! Bell always gives you great advice on resturants and things to do around the hotel and surrounding area. We show each others pictures of our kids on how they've grown over the years. Number one man to seek out. POOM was a pool attendant who made the water slides and tarzan rope fun for my family. My husband kept on trying to get her wet and she had a great attitude the whole time. These employees take the time to talk and get to know you. We did miss seeing Duke on the beach. The amenities are top notch and the Makawao Chicken Salad with a Mango Smoothie are to die for! I had one everyday relaxing by the beautiful pool. If you forget something they have it by the pool. Very convienant. The slides cannot be beat by any hotel around the world. We have traveled all over and the beauty of the Grand is uncomparable. Yes it is exspensive but as my husband always says, "you work like a DOG and vacation like a KING"! The Grand Wailea makes you feel like royality. You get what you pay for and the memories are priceless. Mahalo to everyone at the Grand for making my birthday so special.

Room Tip: Any room is paradise! We have stayed in a deluxe garden that is close to the pools. The Napua Towe...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!