“NO Aloha” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Beverly Hills, California
“NO Aloha”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Front Office staff, managers were very rude and uncordial. Complaints in regards to my bill was directed to accounting staff where only rude employees again that did not care of the amount of money I was putting into their pockets. NO ALOHA spirit at all. As I walked the grounds and lobby I saw employees from Front Office DRESSED in their white nurse looking uniform shopping and purchasing food. Very unprofessional to pay and be charged so much and I had to stand in line again with the same rude people to purchase a meal for my family. Very dissatisfied and not a fan of feeling like I didn't matter or that i was replaceable. Management should keep employees out of site and away IN UNIFORM. Ununiformed employees were also noticeable for they were openly speaking of their 30% employee discount that I was not granted and eligible for. Employees walking around laughing and giggling of the people over paying for rooms they pay $150 for...NO PROFESSIONALISM AT ALL! I will NOT be returning to this UNgrand hotel. I will stay at the Ritz or Four Seasons where I am welcomed and treated as an guest with ALOHA.

Room Tip: Rooms by chapel is nice but far from the pools. Rooms by the pool are good for they are close to the...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

3,192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ithaca, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Gorgeous property, absolutely. But the staff didn't seem to live Aloha. Concierge tapped away on her keyboard while I stood right in front of her - wouldn't even look up to say hello or I'll be with you in a minute. Valet seemed frenzied all the time. Towel woman at the pool was especially rude, giving me attitude b/c I asked why I had to wear a green bracelet. If I go again I'll stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orem, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Love the property! Loved the church, the pools, the beach, the room, the waterfalls. Great service! Traveled in June 2010.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Foster City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We have been coming to the Grand for many years and are NEVER disappointed. It really is our home away from home. My husband suprised me with a birthday to Hawaii. We considered going elsewhere but made the choice to return. Since it was my birthday we were given a couple of discount coupons to wonderful resturants on the property and a FREE bottle of Champagne and upgraded our room. Bonus!!! We look forward to catching up with employess such as BELL (a wonderful bell man who has just about become family)! Bell always gives you great advice on resturants and things to do around the hotel and surrounding area. We show each others pictures of our kids on how they've grown over the years. Number one man to seek out. POOM was a pool attendant who made the water slides and tarzan rope fun for my family. My husband kept on trying to get her wet and she had a great attitude the whole time. These employees take the time to talk and get to know you. We did miss seeing Duke on the beach. The amenities are top notch and the Makawao Chicken Salad with a Mango Smoothie are to die for! I had one everyday relaxing by the beautiful pool. If you forget something they have it by the pool. Very convienant. The slides cannot be beat by any hotel around the world. We have traveled all over and the beauty of the Grand is uncomparable. Yes it is exspensive but as my husband always says, "you work like a DOG and vacation like a KING"! The Grand Wailea makes you feel like royality. You get what you pay for and the memories are priceless. Mahalo to everyone at the Grand for making my birthday so special.

Room Tip: Any room is paradise! We have stayed in a deluxe garden that is close to the pools. The Napua Towe...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 days while in Maui on our honeymoon. We spent the first 5 days at the Four Seasons which I highly recommend but that will be discussed in a separate review. The Grand Wailea is huge! It is ideally suited for families but does have an adult pool for those 18 and over. I will say that there were a fair share of couples there but they were equally outweighed by families and teenagers. One evening we were enjoying a romantic hot tub experience when 7 teenage guys hopped in. The conversation turned south but there was really nothing you can do when there are over 700 rooms in the resort.

The service was good and they responded well to issues (we had an issue with our door lock.) The keys did not work after being placed next to my cell phone so we were issued new keys but unfortunately those keys did not work so they called security and engineering (who responded quickly.) It turned out that they needed to replace the entire locking mechanism which they did.

W.r.t. to the grounds, the pool area is every kid's dream. There is a lazy river, three slides, and a rope swing (Lower pool.) The upper pool is the adults only pool and the waitstaff service is good.

The lobby is HUGE and is all open air like the rest of the resorts at Wailea. The hallways seemed a little outdated with stains on the carpet and some chipped paint but the rooms were nice. I did notice that the toilet had some stains on the outside that were missed but otherwise a very comfortable room. (I realize that these are some picky items, however when you are paying a premium price, you want a premium product.)

I will comment due to the large size of the hotel and common check out times, we were told that it would be 15 minutes before a bellman would become available and after we walked our luggage to the valet stand, it took another 10 minutes to get the car. Not huge issues but when you are paying $25/day to valet, you expect rapid service.

Bottom line: Nice resort, more suited for families with kids but decent for honeymooners if you don't mind kids.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Grand Wailea is the ultimate in luxury. The rooms, spa, common areas, pools are all top class. Beautiful views are around every corner. The main restaurant, the Humuhumu, has the best seafood and fish dishes I have ever eaten. All the restaurants are fantastic. It is close walking distance to the Shops at Wailea, where more good restaurants can be found, plus an ABC Store and Whalers General Store, The pool has a bar called "The Grotto", where an Andy Warhol look-alike bartender will make you best Mai Tai you ever had, while sitting in a barstool half underwater located near one of the pools many waterfalls.

Room Tip: Oceanview or oceanfront.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed here while attending a conference. I have never been to Maui and I think if I had been paying for the room, I would have had sticker shock! That aside, the gardens are fantastic, and the seven pools seem that they would make the resort very family friendly - one even has a walk-in "beach". There was a bit of room noise from neighbors through the adjoining door, which surprised me. I didn't use the spa facilities, but I did take one fitness class and while the instructor was very good, I found the aerobics room to be small, sweaty and poorly ventilated. Beach rentals (snorkels, paddleboards, etc) were convenient and you are right on the beach - great views of the adjacent islands. Staff is very friendly and helpful, and the restaurants are good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!