“A gem” 5 of 5 stars

Albuquerque, New Mexico
11 attraction reviews
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was rather tired of walking through Cholula/Puebla's many churches by the time we got around to visiting the pyramid and this church atop it on our last day. Though much smaller than other churches that I visited, this one packed a much bigger wow factor. The view from its courtyards is fantastic. Further, we had access to the entire church including the "back rooms", all of which were magnificent and well-lit sights. It's definitely worth the climb to the top of the pyramid.

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Suzhou, China
31 attraction reviews
“One of the largest mexican pyramids covered with soil with a church at the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Cholula(Cholullan) is my second hometown, so I will maybe be not 100% objective. Before the Spanish conquerors arrived to the Mexican Valley, Cholullan was a sacred city with one shrine to pray for each of the 365 days of the years. Besides, the Cholultecas built a central pyramid, which up to my knowledge, is the largest in the world(at least in America) but you can not see it. The catholic church forced the local people to cover it with soil and then built a Catholic church on the top of the manmade hill. The southern part of the pyramid is partially uncovered but it is only 15% of the total construction. You can go inside and cross the Pyramid(hill) thru a tunnel. Nowadays, Cholula is the city with the highest density of catholic churches and chapels on the world. they use to say that they were 365 of them but this is an exaggeration. What is tru is that on every corner in downtown you can see at least 3 churches. I almost forget to talk about the church of this review but I think the pictures will talk by themselves. It is worth to climb the hill and visit the church because there you will verify how many churches you can count.

Visited December 2012
Dallas, Texas
101 attraction reviews
“Another great church part of my Mexican culture which I am so proud of”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

You have to be in good shape to get to the top of the mountain to view this church. Alot of local people selling arts. Not allowed to take pictures inside to preserve our Mexican history and culture. Great view from the top, maybe take pictures

Visited July 2012
slovakia
141 attraction reviews
“new on the top of old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

new religion on the top of old religion. Catholic church on the top of the one of greatest pyramid of the world. Very nice interior and exterior surroundings. Popocatepetl behind your head. Pico de Arizaba, the highest hill of Mexico is in front of you.

Visited February 2012
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
56 attraction reviews
“Interesting, but not outstanding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Frankly I wish they would just forget about the church, which was constructed atop the pyramid in I believe the 1600s, and just excavate the pyramid. Apparently they are fearful that excavation will damage the church. The pyramid was there first, so I feel that should be the priority. There is a lot of information available about the Spanish invaders who constructed the church, but far less about the civilization that constructed the largest (by volume) pyramid in the world.

Visited February 2012