“worth visiting if your in the area. but dont go out of your way” 4 of 5 stars

San Pedro Cholula, Mexico
Improve this listing
Type: Ancient Ruins, Cultural
57 attraction reviews
“worth visiting if your in the area. but dont go out of your way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

how crazy i went to cholula once and missed the pyramid becuase it looks nothing like the others ive been to. driving by it looks like a big grassy hill with a church on top! the city is a cute little place with a nice zocalo and the pyamid is cool to see. i think others are better so if your deciding choose others.

Visited August 2012

Albuquerque, New Mexico
11 attraction reviews
“The main attraction in Cholula”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's not Teotihuacan, but it's a pretty impressive structure right smack in the middle of town. We spent 2+ hours visiting the pyramid and the church on top of it. The lower levels include very long excavated tunnels - not for the claustrophobic or for anyone over 6' tall. I expected them to be the highlight of the visit but they weren't. More impressive are the outdoor ruins that have been excavated on the west side. There's a lot to see and the signage is in both English and Spanish. The climb to the top is well worth it for the views of the surrounding area and for the stunning church at the top. The museum across the street is small but worth a visit.

Visited March 2013
Downey
“Quetzacoatl, Boladores de Papantla, and Pulque.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was an amazing experience! It is a must if you find yourself in Puebla. You get to climb parts of the pyramid which is not allowed in most authentic pyramids. Once you are on top of the pyramid, which was turned into a church by the Spanish conquistadors, you get a view of the whole city including the famous volcano Popocatepetl meaning "white smoke". If you are lucky you will also get to see los voladores which is an amazing ritual to the sun. There are also aztec dancers who perform mostly during the weekends. I had the pleasure of meeting them and they welcomed me and told me history of Mexico while they shared homemade Pulque which is an alcoholic beverage derived from the Agave plant. Out of all the beautiful places that I've been to this experience was by far the best because I was given such a great hospitality by the locals that I felt like I lives there my whole life.

Visited October 2012
Mundelein, Il
5 attraction reviews
“Pretty cool historical site in Mexico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We hired guide for our tour of Cholula which I strongly recommend. It included a walk through the tunnels under the remains of the pyramid. Then outside to the excavated part of the pyramid. They did build an artificial pyramid on one side of the mountain to better represent what it looked like before it was covered in dirt. You can also climb the artificial pyramid which was pretty cool.

Visited February 2013
Susan Weckbaugh
34 attraction reviews
“You don't have to go to Egypt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First I climbed the pyramid in this tiny town, all the way to the top where rests a beautiful church. I had thought I was in great shape but I made a lot of breathing stops. The view was incredible and the active volcano, Popocatepetl was breathtaking. Then I went to the base and walked through the tunnel that was carved out through the pyramid. I was the only one walking there and I am 5'7" and almost had to duck. It was well lit, cooler than the hot sun outside and I felt like I was back in time. I emerged to the ruins of many temples and carvings and a sacrificial altar to the rain god, Tlaloc. The explanatory signs were written in English, Spanish and Nahautl Indian. Lovely.

Visited February 2013