“Beautiful Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Fairfield CT
“Beautiful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My Husband, Son and I just spent 6 nights at Royal Isabela and really enjoyed our stay. We are not golfers, but wanted to find a high end place to stay near the good kiting and surfing beaching ( Shacks and Jobos ). The casitas are lovely, as mentioned before, and all have a wonderful large deck, with 2 loungers and table with chairs for 4 people. There is also a plunge pool that you can heat and hang out in to enjoy the vista. We had a casita that was closer to the restaurant and didn't have a direct ocean view, but it the view was gorgeous all the same. It is very private, and the way they have lushly planted the gardens ensure you have anyone looking onto your deck, or walking by your casita.
The service was very good, for example, on the second day the pool heater from the next casita started to make a loud whining noise, and when it didn't repair itself after a few hours I called to see if they could fix it. Someone was there in literally 5 minutes working on it, which I thought was great, and I received a follow up phone call to inquire whether it had been fixed to my satisfaction.
We enjoyed our meals at the hotel, with the exception of the last lunch which maybe was a fluke of bad luck. I also did have a few problems with the white wine being turned, perhaps by high temperatures, which in most likely a common problem in PR with the heat.
Some other things I really liked about this hotel:
Very good housekeeping with a homemade treat every night brought to your door
Complimentary soda, water, coffee, coffee mate and beer that is refilled in your mini fridge. ( It is not stocked with other things, so if you want wine or vodka I recommend picking some up on your way in )
Nice stemware and mugs that are washed daily, place settings in room as well if you want a snack, or you bring in your own nibbles.
An ice machine and laundry with washer/dryer in a area by the pool
Complimentary wifi in room and it worked well
Large bottles of shampoo & conditioner, no having to use those tiny bottles
The lovely orchestra of coqui frogs each night, and of course the large ones on the walkway and path to dinner
The beautiful tropical path down to the beach, with a good work out to walk back up.
All in all, I found this to be good value for what was offered. It is elegant and family friendly, and it feels a little like your own small upscale home. I really liked that we did not feel nickel and dimed. We will return.

Room Tip: I think they are all very good
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Swedesboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

From the moment we arrived in the airport and met our private prearranged transport through the hotel I knew this was going to be an exceptional experience. On the 1.5 hour hour ride there we were given extensive history of the island and the hotel. On arrival you impressed by the detail of the entry through the main house and the way it sits upon a hill over looking "Jurassic Park" expecting to see some dinosaurs or tall giraffes walking about...all the reviews of this place try to describe the beauty of it and truly words just can't accomplish this. 1500sq ft of living space and a deck and private pool for each Casita. We enjoyed every minute of our vacation here. We also took to excursions that the hotel arranges and I highly recommend; Verde-Azul paddle boarding (anyone can do this safely) and first time ever surfing lessons my 14 yo daughter's dream to try surfing and we actually surfed on our first day in Jobos. i wrote a review for this as I just had to let you know why we had so much fun here. I thought it was expensive when I arranged the trip but after leaving and being home for a month it was worth every cent.
The review from my 14 year old daughter:
This hotel was the most beautiful hotel we have been to. The first impression was absolutely incredible, for as soon as you walk through the main building you see the golf course and the ocean. The golf course is stunning, and the view of the ocean was breathtaking. The little “casita” was perfect. It is roomy and the small personal pool outside was wonderful. We spent our first two days just lounging on our deck looking at the incredible view of the ocean. We did not spend a full day on the beach, but it was very beautiful. It is about a 5-7 minute walk down to the beach, on a staircase of rocks and wooden landings and that walk is very pretty in itself. The beach is on the Atlantic side so the waves were a bit rough, and unless you pay an extra fee for chairs and an umbrella to be set up for you, there is no shade on the sand; picnic lunch is offered with your beach day. We did spend a day at the pool, which is very nice. While we were there all 20 casitas were full, yet we still felt like one of the only families there. Wherever you would go you would only see a few other couples or families, which made the place feel private and secluded, but in a good way. One thing that we were a bit disappointed in was that there was only one restaurant, and the menu stayed mostly the same with a few specials for the entire week that we were there. We stayed for 6 days and got tired of this, and we started eating late lunches from the lunch menu instead of eating dinner at the restaurant. Royal Isabela is a stunning place, and none of the online pictures do it justice, yet it was almost too secluded.
(yeah maybe for a 14 year old but this was exactly what my wife and I were looking forward to and we definitely got our money's worth!!!)

Room Tip: not sure there is a bad Casita. we were in number 3 see pics
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Amazing, this place is something else, not only because of its beautiful sights and elegant rooms, each with a private pool but also because their great staff. This is a place to relax and forget about all else for a while. It has one of the best restaurants in Puerto Rico at La Casa. The Cardonas will be back!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I planned my trip here a month in advance. My husband and I travel to a new place every year and needless to say after the reviews posted here I couldn't wait. I paid in advanced and requested the honeymoon casita for the extra privacy. I was assured that I was guaranteed this room unless for someone reason the air conditioner went out or anything unfortunate were to happen to it. I also confirmed this with 4 other people.
Fast forward to check in, the room was nice and clean and I was pleased until I realized that there was no pathway to the reading are that comes with the honeymoon casita??!
What do you mean?
I thoroughly planned this trip, I was told it was already given to someone else. No apologizes no compensation no customer service. I was so upset. My husband is a new attorney and super busy we barely have time alone so I imagined us being secluded looking out at the stars with no laptop attached for 4 nights. Well that didn't happen, and they could care less.
I also noticed request for activities were also ignored before check in as they claim to be able to set you up with certain things, I ended up planning on my own.
Other than the disappointment of customer service, the resort is beautiful the casita is nice and large, the pool didn't appear to be heated.
The trail to the beach can be beautiful but scary also. You are completely exposed to nature and whatever creeps and crawls beyond the trees and thick vegetation. There is a bit of a hike to the beach 5-10 min depending on your past but defiantly worth it! I had the entire beach to myself while my husband slept. It's not a beach you can swim or snorkel but is something you shouldn't pass up. The bellhop was excellent, please be sure to tip we got caught off guard after passing so many tolls, other than that I would recommend it to the viewer reading.

• Stayed April 2014
Buckhead, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from this fabulous place of refuge. I can now join the chorus of all prior guests who have extolled the virtues of Royal Isabela's unparalleled service, world class golf course, impeccable casitas, enchanting grounds and delectablee gourmet foods and yes, it is all that, but it's so much more. Royal Isabela is the General Manager (Robin D.) inquiring on a daily basis as to how well things are going. Royal Isabela is finding a pampered repose in the Water Works bath or standing under one of the four shower heads in the ten foot shower. Royal Isabela is receiving fresh cookies with turndown service. Royal Isabela is being enveloped in the pillow top mattress, snuggling between your Frette sheets and enjoying the sunset. Royal Islabela is realizing that " Life Is Good".
This place should definitely be on the AMX Fine Hotels and Resorts list.
Can't wait to return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We are not golfers and chose The Royal Isabella based solely on the privacy, beauty and uniqueness of the property. The five star reviews on Trip Advisor are completely accurate -- this resort is a gem and a welcome respite if you enjoy peace and tranquility. Many details well thought out, although helicopter traffic at night can vibrate the deck if you're enjoying the plunge pool.
Despite what some others may mention, the service we experienced was excellent every day in every aspect. One morning the kitchen ran out of honey. I told our server "no problem" and really meant it-- I have no trouble taking sugar in my tea. Several minutes later she brought out a honey like substitute the chef made me for my tea--extremely thoughtful.
Concierge Tanya went out of her way for me on more than one occasion without me asking. Super hospitality from front of house, back of house, to the GM. Warm smiles from staff members throughout the day on the grounds. The days we took trips to other parts of the island, despite some lovely areas and other resorts, we felt at home at Royal Isabella. Loved the warm welcome we received at night from the gentlemen at the gate and relaxing in our beautiful casita. The sound of the ocean below, stars, moonlight and gentle trades above, it was hard to leave. We look forward to returning.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here in January 2013 and just got back from our second trip, April 2014. This place is amazing. The staff could not be more friendly. The food is 5 Star. The Rooms are some of the most beautiful that I have ever stayed in. The golf is right up there with Pebble Beach (I am serious). First trip it was just my husband and I and on the most recent trip we brought our 4 month old. The babysitters were great and the plunge pool was just perfect for her. We are already planning our next trip back! If you can afford it and you golf then you are crazy to stay anyplace else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Royal Isabela Golf Resort? Share your experiences!