“Could be great, still very good overall” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Parador Villas del Mar Hau

Save Saved
You added Parador Villas del Mar Hau to your Saves list
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sector Bajuras Rd 4466 | Montones Beach, Isabela 00662, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Isabela
San Juan
“Could be great, still very good overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here mid-week in May with my wife and two teens. We drove up since we are locals, but had a hard time finding the property along Route 466, which is the beach highway and has no illumination after dark. There is a single sign for the hotel and it's barely visible (could use lighting or reflective paint). We finally arrived around 8 p.m. and were promptly checked in at our villa. Ours was a low-numbered one close to the restaurant. The twin-sized beds were okay for the kids, while the queen-size pillow top bed on our room was comfortable. Closet space is not much, but drawers made up for it. There is a small serviceable kitchen with a gas stove, and almost all kitchenware is provided. A flat screen TV and a simple modular wicker sofa and table make up the tiny living room, but the large balcony makes up for it. It has a larger table seating four, a chaise lounge, and hooks for your hammock (or rent one for a nominal fee). Like almost all the villas, our balcony overlooks the ocean a few feet away; an inmense fossilized dune, or eosinolite, not 200 feet away, serves as a reef enclosing a shallow beach suitable for young families, while the surf breaks wild just beyond the rock barrier.

When we called to make our reservation , we were told just to bring beach towels. Unfortunately, we found out we also needed matches, paper towels and dishwasher liquid our first night in, and there are no phones in the villas to call in housekeeping. And foraging out on the property grounds to locate housekeeping at 10 pm is not the best first impression of the hotel. Although we were assisted early the next morning, we would rather have a list of standard and available amenities on the hotel's dated website, so we know what to pack and to expect. If you need an iron or a hair blower, bring it.

Bring a camera to the beach from sunrise and past sunset and make your own unforgettable memories. There is also a small playground, a swimming pool and a basketball court on premises. The restaurant, offering mostly seafood and local specilaties, is cozy and its terrace opens out to the beach view. Spa services are also available, per appointment, in a lovely oceanview setting. Although we did not dine there this time, staff were courteous and place was clean. Villas del Mar Hau is one of the mist environmentally responsible hotels I have stayed in; solar panels, windmill, trash sorting, and hydroponic gardening are just a few initiatives I observed. Although past reviews describe the hotel as pet-friendly, the front desk informed us that it is no longer so, per owner's instructions. Oh well, too bad, so we left behind our 5-month old housebroken Shih Tzu puppy, paying extra for lodging, only to meet a couple of guests at the restaurant staying with their own Shih Tzu dog. Doña Myrna, what gives?

For the most part, our stay was most enjoyable and would return and recommend to friends. All employees were unfailingly courteous and helpful. They have had a stable management under the Hau family for decades, and this level of care and hospitality philosophy shows. My remarks on my first-night difficulties are easy to remedy, we hope that they see to it that other guests are not turned off. I look forward to a repeat stay at a charming place on a wonderful setting, and wish the Haus all the best

• Stayed May 2013

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our Stay was a nightmare. A place that had price per night very expensive with the standards of a third world country. I got there the front garden of the villa was full of dirt and cigarettes but. I call the front desk and 15 minutes later this guy with an air weed blower and blow them to the side garden of the villa. The Doors had so much paint that they are not even near to close. Therefore you have no privacy in the rooms. The windows curtain had so much dust I have to pull them out in order to keep the air clean and fresh for my kids. There is no way you can control the water valve in the shower. It was a pain when you have kids, water is almost boiling in 10 second and the next 10 seconds is freezing. Most of the windows do not operate fine. The room was dirty when we got there. The bathroom is very small.
The air conditioner works fine. The beach is beautiful. Very interesting that the employees drive their car very fast when you have kids everywhere. Same for the maintenance truck a green F150. In a summery the overall experience we had in this place was the worst I ever had in a Parador, villa or hotel. I would not recommend anyone to stay in this place. I was staying in Villa # 22.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I purchased an offer to stay at Villas del Mar Hau anytime from April to May. Surprisingly I called today (for the second time) to make reservations and the supervisor who answered was extremely rude and non accommodating to our needs as customers. She started out by pointing out that our time was nearly up. After that she talked to my girlfriend about our lack of organization for booking almost 2 weeks before! Finally when we asked to speak to a supervisor she said she was the supervisor and shortly after that proceeded to hang up the phone. I won't stay in that place no matter how beautiful the beach and the scenery might be. Some things are worth more that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VillaHau, Front Office Manager at Parador Villas del Mar Hau, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Sorry for the inconvenience. We are very accommodating with our guests in every manner. Unfortunately, some offers have some restrictions and guidelines that we have to follow and obey. We are here to assist and accommodate your every need and maintain the best interest of our guests and our company also. Thank you.
Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Villas del Mar Hau is just that perfect Puerto Rican Parador where all family members can enjoy. It's proximity to the beach and smaller ocean entrance towards the right, makes it ideal for the ones not to familiar with the water but still can enjoy the warmth of it. It's the perfect beach Villa within a smaller budget!

Room Tip: Any Villa will just be fine although I prefer the ones on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Arriving to Villas del Mar Hau was a most wonderful experience - we were accommodated in every way upon our arrival. The STAFF is magnificent - the location is pristine - the rooms, oh the rooms, we stayed in our shack on the beach and in the morning would go for a swim, shower and eat breakfast with a most spectacular view. If we could stay in that same spot forever we would. The only complaint my fiance had was the weekend music - being that all beaches are public in Puerto Rico, during the weekend all come to enjoy its magnificence. The locals are wonderful the food is great and Villas del Mar Hau scores high on my list. It is ECO friendly and for those looking for extravagance this is not the place, this is a place catering to the environment - a place of simplicity at best yet comfortable and serene.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the restaurant - more music and lots going on during weekend, also closest to pool...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Denmark, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed here for one night at the end of April 2013. Had more space than I needed since I was solo. Wonderful spacious apartment with open porch facing the Atlantic. Very clean and comfortable room. The breeze off the Atlantic was pleasant. The next morning I stayed until check-out. I had a good breakfast and coffee in their restaurant. Went to beach and enjoyed the shallow calm behind the rocks. A nice quiet property that is very well kept. The painters were busy with one exterior and gardeners were busy clipping and grooming the attractive flora and shrubs. I sunbathed at the pool awhile. This seemed like an ideal place for a family. There were not many quests since it appeared to be the off season. All of the staff were great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

My experience of this parador was not bad at all. It was very relaxing, no loud noises from other villas, a/c working fine, bed pretty comfortable. On the downside, the floor of room was not that clean you could feel sand all over the floor and the bathroom is outdated. Beach is beautiful but has strong waves. For kids I recommend the pocita right next to the beach. My kids had a lot
Of fun at the beach and then we went to the pool which was clean and warm. We had dinner at the restaurant, thinking it would be bad because of all the negative reviews but it really was Good! We had chicken breast, rice and beans, fish and stuffed Mofongo and piña colada. Everything was well prepared and tasty. Service was very good. Overall, the villas are not luxurious but are nice place to stay and relax.

• Stayed April 2013
VillaHau, Front Office Manager at Parador Villas del Mar Hau, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for a great review!!!! We are well known for the relaxing and quiet atmosphere. We are remodeling the units slowly but surely. Since we are on the beach it is very hard to contain the sand sweeping underneath the doors, so we are constantly sweeping the floors. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner at our wonderful restaurant. And you are right, you cannot beat the view from the restaurant and the calm waters in the morning for an early swim. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Parador Villas del Mar Hau? Share your experiences!