“My Fairy Tale Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Montana Beach Resort

You added Villa Montana Beach Resort to your Saves list
Villa Montana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera 4466 Km 1.9 Interior | Barrio Bajuras, Isabela 00662, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
San Francisco, CA
“My Fairy Tale Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I had my wedding at the Villa Montana Beach Resort on July 14, 2007. Words can’t describe how absolutely gorgeous this event was. It was literally a dream come true. My husband and I are from San Francisco and did not go visit the hotel before the actual wedding. As you can imagine, I was completely nervous that things wouldn’t go well or that I would be disappointed in the resort, but this was completely blown out of the water as soon as I arrived. The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained and the villas are gorgeous, especially the larger 2 and 3br villas. The décor, cleanliness, and spaciousness of the larger villas are unlike anything other I’ve ever seen. My husband and I stayed in a 1br garden view villa, which was the perfect size for us and was literally steps away from the beach. It was about a 1min walk to the sand and you could hear the waves crashing from the patio in front of the room. We spent 9 days at the hotel to get a feel for the place before the wedding and had a great time. We had a total of about 40 guests and rented a total of 10 rooms at the resort. We were happy with all of them and had no complaints from our guests.

During the wedding planning process, I was worried because things seemed TOO easy. I know that sounds silly, but when planning a wedding, you expect to be running around like crazy! But Mildred (our planner) and her staff made it sooo easy for me. We literally just chose what we’d like from their options (music, food, décor, etc) and I sent her photos of the idea I had for the cake, bouquet and flowers. They nailed it and got everything perfect! My flower arrangements were so lovely, my bouquet was perfect, and the FOOD…oh man…the FOOD was to die for!! So good! We went for the 3 day event with a beach BBQ on Friday night, the wedding and reception on Saturday night and a brunch on Sunday. Every meal was delicious. Our guests were sooo impressed! And to be honest, everyone left thinking we spent way more for the wedding than we actually did. The prices are very affordable for a wedding and we got a fabulous 3 day event for less than a 1 day wedding in San Fran. The icing on the cake to our special day was that the hotel arranged for me to arrive on a white horse and meet my father at the end of the aisle. Our guests are STILL talking about that horse! Talk about a fairy tale wedding. I also took advantage of the spa at the hotel. Alfredo, the massage therapist, was so wonderful! I left feeling so relaxed and at ease.

The only thing I would write about the hotel, particularly the Eclipse Restaurant is that this is NOT the place to eat if you’re in a hurry. The food is delicious, however, the kitchen is on island time. The upside to this is that it gives you a chance to really kick back, enjoy the sounds of the coqui and the ocean crashing and feel the ocean breeze. For me, when I’m on vacation, I’m not in a hurry…so I had no complaints.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I brought my dog to the resort as well and they listened when I asked for them not to come in the room when I wasn’t around. I really appreciated that.

Overall, the 9 days I was there was very well spent. I was so pleased with the entire staff, particularly Mildred, Melany, and Lizbeth. These girls rock and made my wedding a dream come true. If you’re looking for a laid back place to have your special event, this is the spot. I can’t wait to go back for our 1 yr anniversary.

Feel free to email me with any questions or to see more photos of the event....I know that helps when trying to pick a wedding destination. Thanks! (syndiquiles@gmail.com)

• Liked — Excellent staff and Wedding planning
  • Disliked — Nothing...it was fantastic
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

I held my wedding at Villa Montana in Jan 07 and coudn't have been happier with the event. My husband and I are from Boston and were looking for a small intimate beach resort to hold our wedding. The staff was wonderful and the accommodations suited our 100 guests perfectly. I made all my decisions regarding food, music and photographer based on recommendations from the hotel wedding staff and was very happy with the services. As with most weddings not all goes to plan...it's the kind of place that the overall results are so great that the minor mishaps have no bearing on the celebration. If you like the idea of a small island wedding without a lot of bells and whistles, this is the place. I would gladly do it again! A. Scheller

• Liked — Small size, intimate setting. No tourist attractions.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

We just returned from our wedding at the Villa Montana. We traveled with 70 of our friends and family to celebrate our wedding which was 9 months in the making! I want to write about the 'resort' experience as much as possible in that I know how much people rely on these reviews when making plans; as did I. My wedding "planning " experinece was different and much less personal and much less 'fun' than our stay there so I really want to focus on the positive - and there was a lot of positive!

I would advise everyone to visit the resort's web site as much as possible. It is busy but they honestly left nothing to be desired in giving the overall feel of the place. It is not perfect - and that, quite honestly, to us, was the best part of it all! We were finished with resort perfection and super-size a long time ago. If you are the same, then this is the place for you.

All of the villas are different - all decorated differently and they were all charming - not perfect; but charming. The beach was beautiful! Yes, it's rocky but don't let anyone tell you it's not swimable. If you want to walk barefoot acoss the sand and walk right into the water - then you will be disappointed. It's just not that 'kind' of a beach but that does not mean it's not beautiful and does not have a lot to offer. Out of 72 people at my wedding, not a single person had ANY problem laying on those overstuffed lounge chairs all afternoon, snorkeling, walking 100 feet to the pool, or walking a few feet off to the side to a clearing that is swimable. It was just different - but still an awesome setting.

The staff - WONDERFUL and I mean wonderful! From the Cabana girl (Rosita - we all miss you!!!) to Diana (the resturant manager) to Shakira (at the front desk) they, without a doubt, make this resort what it is. They were attentive, personal, pleasant, chatty, professional and very humble. They truly make the Villa Montana the relaxing and unique place that it is.

The resturant and the food - fantastic! The setting is romantic and charming and every meal we had was great. Yes, service can be slow but if you watch very carefully you simply can not miss the fact that they are truly trying and they truly want you to have a good experience. I can't say that about too many places. And, if you got your meal in 1/2 an hour, you would miss the ambiance that the Eclipse has so it's a great trade off as far as I'm concerned! So, sit back and relax! Since we had a rehearsal BBQ and a wedding dinner there, we had the opportunity to meet with Chef Jeremy a couple times. And if you get this priviledge then you will love the food even more! His modesty, attention to detail, and descriptions are enchanting! The comments from our guests about the dishes served at our wedding have not stopped. It was fabulous!

On the wedding side - I am addicted to flowers and I was amazed and floored by how beautiful they all were. The time that went into getting a feel for my colors, my dress, the wedding party attire, the mood we wanted - all of it was breathtaking. Jessica did a wonderful job!

For our BBQ we enjoyed the music of Mellow Pan Trio and they were perfect! For our wedding ceremony we had Alexis Espada (saxophone) and a guitarist. This was the highlight of our wedding! They were incredible! We could have listened to them all night. The ceremony music was very important to us and we could not have asked for anyone better or a better combination than these two!

The resort did have power outages while we where there - one very long one and some of our guests had issues with the air conditioning in their rooms and a couple with the shower water. If you are counting on internet service - don't; it's just too sporatic to be relied upon. With the power - not a lot they can do! And with almost every issue, they responded in a timely manner. Like I said - the place is not perfect and most of the staff really do try very hard to please!

They do have an area of opportunity that would make a big difference to guests - especially wedding guests and that is the check in time. The flights into Aguidilla are either very early or very late. Since most of our guests were coming from JFK, that meant most got to the resort at 10:30am. And it's hot...really, really hot so it was frustrating that so many could not check into their rooms until 4pm. That really gets to be an unreasonable period of time for most to sit around and wait for a room to be ready. I think the resort would go a long way in customer satisfation if they would compromise a bit more on these flight arrival times vs. check in times since many travel with children. Just a suggestion. Again, the resort is small and the staffing likewise but this would go a long way in easing a frustration that can develop at the very beginning of a stay.

Other musts: Tropical Trail Rides and Happy Belly's!!! And the Lazy Parrot in Rincon. Bioluminescent Bay - forget about it! It's a long way to go for a town that does not even really 'open' until 4:30pm! Just stay on the beach at the resort!!

My wedding planning experience was not as soothing and personal as the resort is and that's sad. But, the issues I had were seamless to my guests (for the most part) and I can say with certainty that they all had a wonderful time - even the ones that didn't think they would and each and every one of them said that our wedding was beautiful!

• Liked — Villa style - not hotel style
  • Disliked — Check in time vs. flight arrival time
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

My husband was in PR for work, so we took the opportunity to take a short vacation. We had Marriott points to use at the San Juan Marriott, but had one night that wasn't covered. We both surf, so after finding that the northwest corner of the island is the place for this, I researched tons of hotels in this area and decided on the Villa Montana. We loved it! We wished we could stay the whole vacation. Once we got to the very nice Marriott resort in San Juan, I still wished we were at Villa Montana! This place is totally different than your typical high-rise resort like in San Juan. It's quiet, small, uncrowded.

It wasn't perfect...the check-in staff took their time getting to me, and yes, the service at the restaurants is slow. But other than that, not much to complain about!

The water was actually quite calm when we went. It is rocky, but there were planty of sandy gaps in the rocks to enter the water from. In the evening after dinner we went down to the beach and literally had it all to ourselves. I also went to the pool a time or two and had it all to myself. We loved this.

We stayed in one of the regular hotel rooms. It was nice. Nice private patio. It wasn't as typically fancy as a Marriott-type place, but we liked that it felt a bit more exotic. The resort looks very big from the map, but in fact is compact, so don't worry that the hotel rooms appear to be far from the beach...its really very close.

This place is all about expectations and what you are looking for! If you want a Marriott-resort type place, you might be disappointed. But if you want a peaceful, quiet, private place, this is it!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

I stayed at the Villa Montana with my family for a friend's wedding. Our check in was smooth but the villa was substandard, the tiles were cracked and chipped and the couch smelled. i immediately complianed and received the run around from the front desk. the bride for the wedding contacted her coordinator lizbeth, and after a few hours had us in another villa which was not quite what i expected, but nice overall.
the grounds are beautiful with lots of wildlife(huge frogs, iguanas, even bats) but also a ton of bugs so be sure to bring spray with you. the beach right in front of the hotel is picturesque but not suitable for swimming (but great for surfing). to swim and snorkel i'd suggest getting some snorkeling equipment from the front desk and walking to the left of the resort on the beach. you'll reach an area called the blue hole where the water is protected by coral reefs so its not only calm with lots of fish but you can walk out about 300 feet and the water reaches your waist.
the eclipse (the resturant at the resort) was terrible. the food was overpriced and out of the few meals i had there, not one meal was prepared to my liking. to make matters worse, the service was incredibly slow. even taking into consideration you're in the caribbean, there was no justification for the horrific service. we spent a totoal of 10 days in puerto rico and this was the only establishment we visited were a meal was a 2 1/2 hour ordeal. we ended up eating most of our meals outside the resort (there are a number of resturants on route 110).
The wedding itself was wonderful and curiously the food that was terrible at the resturant tasted great at the wedding. the resort did a fantastic with my friend's wedding and i would highly recommend them for an event providing they work out the issues they have.
overall the resort is beautiful and the staff tries really hard to please (raul the porter went above and beyond to assist us throughout our entire stay). if you're looking for a place to stay outside of the tourist areas and looking to do relax on the beach in a remote picturesque setting this resort is for you.

• Liked — blue hole, wedding
  • Disliked — elcipse resturant
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lombard, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

This was an incredibly romantic and secluded experience! The beach was beautiful, the staff was excellent, and the villas very romantic. I have one word of caution. I had a massage, (I've had them done before by women only), and I would caution you that it was done by a man, and there was no modesty involved. I don't consider myself to be a prude, but it was a very uncomfortable experience. It was done in daylight, and at times I was concerned that I was exposed. I was more tense after the massage than before. I left my bathing suit top on because I was a little uncomfortable that it was a man, and he proceded to remove my top while I was lying on my stomach. If you have any modesty, I would not recommend the massage. Other than that, It was a beautiful, relaxing vacation. I would definitely go back here again!!

Stayed March 2007
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I had a wonderful stay at the Villa Montana in April. Not only did I get married there but my new husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon as well. We absolutely loved our entire stay there. We felt extremely lucky to have had our wedding ceremony at such a beautiful and romantic location and feel tremendously grateful to the exceptional staff there who gave us the wedding of our dreams. I could go on forever about how special and terrific the wedding was (in fact our wedding photographer from the states liked it so much she is planning her own destination wedding at the Villa Montana!), however since this is a hotel and resort review, I focus my comments on those aspects.

First off, I would like to say that the Villa Montana is truly a special, unique resort with heart and soul. The staff at the resort are warm, caring and unpretentious and the overall ambience of the resort is about making sure you relax and enjoy your stay. Not only are the grounds gorgeous, but they invite you to enjoy them with hammocks and comfy cushioned lounge chairs scattered throughout the complex. There is a peaceful, garden oasis in the center of the complex where guests can get massages/spa services, a tennis court, 2 pools (one that is open 24hrs and the other which is next to the bar), 2 fantastic restaurants--each with its own personality-- and of course a stunning beach. If you want to kick-back and relax in a tropical paradise drinking pina coladas on the beach, this is the resort for you.

We chose this resort based on the numerous Trip Advisor reviews we read. While we can understand some of the complaints brought up in previous reviews for us, a lot of these issues/complaints were minor and did not detract from our stay at all. Furthermore, our impression is that the resort is concerned about those same issues and working hard to make improvements. We visited the Villa Montana in October 2006 and in the 7 months since our last visit, we have already seen improvements—sheets, blankets and towels have been upgraded, there is now wireless internet access in rooms, “O” restaurant is up and running, Diana (the former events and sales coordinator) has been promoted to manage both restaurants to improve service because of her outstanding success running events at the VM, and service has gotten better and faster. Since this will be a rather long review, I have broken down the rest of the review into topics to make it easier for readers to browse through.

Service: The service at the VM is friendly and enthusiastic. While some people may perceive the service as slow, we feel that it is just more in keeping with the “sit-back, relax and enjoy” attitude of the Carribean in general. Rather than staff constantly interrupting you to check on you, the attitude here is let people enjoy their food and surroundings but be available when needed. We definitely didn’t mind soaking up the sun and watching the beautiful waves while waiting a few extra minutes for tasty food. And in fact, we were very impressed with how genuinely dedicated all staff were in trying to make each guests stay comfortable. To give a couple examples (I actually have many more)…during our reception dinner, since our wedding party was occupying half of the restaurant, our wedding coordinator and the restaurant manager waited tables themselves to make sure things ran smoothly for everyone. Another night, there was a torrential rainstorm (which was a fluke) with rain blowing into the open-air “Eclipse” restaurant horizontally. Staff ran around completely drenched to make sure guests were dry and comfortable and that food was still delivered hot. I believe that given the circumstances, most restaurants would have suspended service and I was impressed with the way the VM/ Eclipse displayed grace under fire. The most important thing to know about the service here is that rather than expecting to be treated like a king/queen, expect to be treated like a friend.

Rooms: Clean, tastefully decorated and fun. We stayed in a “Garden-view” (although in reality, we had a partial ocean view) 3-bdrm villa (unit A8) that was about 50 yards from the beach. We loved it. In fact, we were only supposed to stay in it for the wedding weekend, however we loved it so much that we upgraded to stay in it an additional 5 days. The kitchen and living room are sunny and airy with high vaulted wood ceilings. There were 2 bathrooms with distinctive hand-painted tiles and the master-bathroom had a sunny outdoor garden-shower. Amenities include A/C, ceiling fans, CD player, telephone, 2 TVs w/ DVD player, wireless internet access, dishwasher and laundry machine w/ dryer. Décor is Balinese style dark mahogany furniture and tropical floral print fabrics that look like it belongs in a Pottery Barn catalog. However, each unit is different with its own personal touches. Housekeeping would come daily (although sometimes later in the day) and even washed dishes! We also stayed in a cliff-side hotel room for a few nights which actually had an ocean-view and a well-manicured backyard. There was a 4-poster king bed and hand-painted tile bathroom again. FYI: Garden villas are larger than Ocean villas and cliffside hotel rooms are larger than garden view rooms. However Ocean villas then garden villas/rooms are closer to the beach. Cliffside rooms are about a 5-7 minute walk from beach.

Food: Tasty, fresh and innovative. There are 2 restaurants at the VM: “Eclipse” and “O”. Chef Jeremie Cruz (who used to be at the El Conquistador) oversees both. Eclipse is the main restaurant open 7 days a week 3 meals a day. It is a stylish, open-air (i.e. wall-less) beachside restaurant with gorgeous views of the water. Food is delicious and seasonal--French/American with a Carribean flare. Favorites: Eggs Benedict for breakfast, black bean shrimp quesadilla for lunch and pan roasted corvina (tasted like Chilean sea bass) with beurre de blanc sauce over pureed yucca/taro root for dinner. Favorite drinks: pina coladas and passion fruit daiquiri. “O” restaurant is an Asian-fusion tapas restaurant/lounge/club open for dinner on weekends. The décor is romantic and chic. You enter through an antique, wood sculpted door imported from Bali. The restaurant has 3 eating areas. The first has red curtain day beds perfect for couples who want a romantic, private dinner (definitely make reservations in advance). The main dining room has dark hardwood floors and Japanese style sunken dining tables. The third room is an outdoor tatami room with Safari animal print décor. Favorites: lamb tangine and then chocolate tempura for dessert. We tried a couple of restaurants off the resort but loved the food at the VM so much that we ate most of our meals there. Prices were reasonable: Breakfast: $10-15, Lunch: $15-20, Dinner: $20-30—definitely worth every penny.

Facilities: well-appointed, with distinctive charm. There are tons of green grass, colorful flowers and swaying palm trees throughout the resort. The layout of the resort is multiple, well-spaced 2-3story villas/condos (not just one large concrete building like many beach resorts). Even hotel rooms are incorporated into the villas. Rather than posh (no valet parking or Jacuzzi tubs) the setting of the resort is stylishly comfortable with a fun and friendly ambience. What I love about the Villa Montana is that it has a distinctive personality and is not like your standard, chain hotel. In terms of activities, there is snorkelling, sea kayaking, tennis, and gym facilities (all for free). For extra fees-- rock climbing wall, horseback riding at a next door ranch (highly recommend), massages/spa services. The front desk can also help arrange tours, snorkelling/scuba trips. There is no casino here but with the addition of “O”, there is more of a night-life at the resort now. However, if you’re like me and enjoy peace and quiet, taking a private dip in their 24-hour pool was the perfect, romantic night for me.

Location: rustic but absolutely gorgeous. The Villa Montana is located in Isabela in the northwest corner of Puerto Rico—about a 2 hour drive from San Juan but only 10 minutes from the Aguadilla aiport. The area has historically been a sleepy surfing town and tourism hasn’t quite hit the area yet (which is actually something we loved about the place), but its an absolutely beautiful piece of land. I think this is one of the most important things to keep in mind in choosing your travel destination. This is a place to escape from it all and not a place to expect tons of museums/city life/casinos. The Villa Montana is the main attraction in the immediate vincinity (other than the beach and water activities of course) however other attractions nearby (about 30-45 min away) include Rio Camuy (underground river/caves) and the Arecibo radio tower (where Contact was filmed). There is also a public golf course about 10 minutes away. However if you want to get away from it all for a relaxing, romantic retreat, staying on the resort is perfect. If you do plan to leave the resort, a rental car is definitely recommended.

Beach: The beaches of the area are varied in terms of surf but all beautiful. The one right in front of the VM is idyllic—clean with tall palm trees, thick purple-cushioned lounge chairs, day-beds and bright yellow umbrellas. There are smooth flat rocks that lead into the water so water socks are a good idea. The surf can be a bit rough—remember this is surfing area—but definitely swimmable. If you surf or kite-board (or like me, just enjoy watching), this seems to be the place to be. However, around the corner is Shacks beach which is a bit calmer and easier for kids and snorkelling. There are also beautiful reefs to explore—we saw tons of coral, colorful fish, and even squid! However, there are also lots of sea urchins so be careful. We read in some reviews complaints about the beach being dirty and littered. Our experience was that the beach at VM and Shacks beach were very clean but when we took the horseback ride further down the beach (maybe a mile or 2 down?) where the beach is public and not owned by the VM, it is not as well maintained.

Pros: friendly, unpretentious, personalized service; beautiful setting; delicious food; clean, comfortable rooms with character.

Cons: a lot of what other people may consider cons, I actually loved about the resort but depending on what you’re looking for, you may find the following problematic: quiet night life, not located near city/museums/casino, web-site is hard to navigate; once you’re there, you won’t want to leave!

• Liked — Friendly service; warm, fun ambience; beautiful setting; decor with personality
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!