“Could've, would've, should've...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Montana Beach Resort

You added Villa Montana Beach Resort to your Saves list
Villa Montana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera 4466 Km 1.9 Interior | Barrio Bajuras, Isabela 00662, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
“Could've, would've, should've...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Could've been a perfect weekend. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time with my husband celebrating our anniversary; but not thanks to Villa Montaña. Would've been better if our "Deluxe" room wasnt located on the farthest end of the hotel, up three flights of stair with no elevator. Not to mention I have two herniated disks and siatica problems. Would've been better if our "deluxe" room at least had bottled water for starters. At 12 midnight I woke up very thirsty and started looking for the water bottle that most hotel rooms offer for $232.00 a night it's the least I expect; but surprise....nothing. I would have accepted drinking from the faucet if the water wasn't milky white. Called the front desk and he told me to go to a vending machine next to the swimming pool but the redeemed himself by offering to bring me the water to my room 7 bottles. He had to use a car to get up to the steep hill we were located. That's about the only tangible gesture of consideration of the whole weekend. Early the next day, I called to request a room change...they were "completely sold out". So I had to stay on my room most of the time to reduce the trips up and down the stairs. My husband had called in advanced to book a massage as a gift, and when they finally gave him an answer it was "that person is sick and cannot offer the massage" still waiting for the referral of a nearby spa. When I checked out I mentioned the inconvenience again and they said "sorry about that". Should've gotten at least a discount on my stay which I didn't fully enjoy because of the hotel's lack of consideration for my medical condition. At the time of the reservation nobody mentioned it was a third floor or where it was located. I know they were booked, but if I was a handicapped guest they HAD to change me, right? Maybe it was hard for them or housekeeping to make arrangements but I shouldn't have to literally suffer because they didn't want to complicate their logistics. There was a possibility of moving me to an even smaller room in the first floor (my room was very small to begin with) but just as far away as mine, so it wasnt a good alternative; that didnt go through anyway, because the room was " for the pilots". Very dissapointing. Their restaurants are great though, no complaints there. That's the only reason I would consider going back.

Room Tip: Stay away from "Deluxe Cliffside Rooms" they are far away from everything and there is no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights with my girlfriend her brother was getting married at the resort. To put it as simple as possible...the food and staff were absolutely fantastic!!! The prices were expensive..beach was ehh...water was rocky and dangerous. The room was just ok..dirty pillow case ..very dreary lighting..and shower was just ok. Again what put this place up to 3 4 stars were the staff and food!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Great beachfront resort in Isabela, Puerto Rico. This small town is in the NW corner of the island, and is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from San Juan International airport. The resort is extremely secluded. We saw no more than a few other guests on the beach with us at the same time. The rooms are a bit steep because there isn't much competition that offers the same level of comfort in Isabela. I saw other hotels on the same road, and attended a wedding at one, but Villa Montana appears to be the best. You could easily hole up at this resort for a long weekend. Try the empanada stand that is on the left just before you turn right for the hotel, the food is awesome! There was also another really good breakfast and lunch spot on the same side of the road, but before the empanada stand.

Room Tip: The villas that directly face the beach are more desirable but come with a higher price tag. If you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dorado, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We are a family of 4 (2 kids aged 12 and 9) that live on the island in the grounds of a 5+ star resort where we can use most of the amenities, so it is always hard to go away and find somewhere nice to stay that matches our expectations. This place definitely did not disappoint. We stayed here for 3 nights. All the public areas of the hotesl (reception area, swimming pools, restaurants, childrens playground) looked like they had been recently rennovated and were done very well. We booked a one bedroomed garden view villa. It was small, but perfectly formed and very very clean. Furnishings were simple, but it had everything we needed. I am not sure on some of the previous reviews, we had large towels, bath robes and wine glasses!! We only had one minor problem, on Saturday morning we had no hot water in our appartment due to a broken water pump, maintenance were called and fixed the problem with no inconvenience to us.
We arrived early evening on a Friday and headed straight out to eat at one of the onsite restaurants called Eclipse. It's right on the beach, even though there was a small wedding going on we were able to be seated straight away and had a wonderful dinner, even though they were extremely busy the service was great and the food was excellent. The cocktails were some of the best I have had on the island! Be sure to try their ginger margarita!!
On Saturday we had a surf lesson, we were exhausted when we got back so just lazed at the pool and beach. Both were nice and quiet and had extremely comfortable sun loungers!! The beach is perfect for watching the sun set with a cocktail.
On the second night we ate in their other restaurant called O. It's an asian restaurant and like Eclipse, was excellent, we could not fault a thing, fabulous sushi, stir fries and curries! Third night we ate in Eclipse. Even though we had reserved a table, we had to wait a while, but we weren't in a hurry, and just sat at the bar and had a cocktail! Again the food did not dissapoint!
We did not eat breakfast at the restaurant as we had a mini kitchen in our appartment so had brought some provisions with us so ate their all but the last day, where we ate breakfast at Ola Lola's which you pass on your drive into Villa Montana, great food for a reasonable price, definitely recommend!
All in all a great weekend away and we would definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Villa Montana is less of a resort, and more of a condo community with a great restaurant on the premises. If you arrive with this bit of knowledge you should be happy with your stay. Several of our group stayed in a two bedroom beachside condo, which was well appointed - the kitchen/fridge were especially welcomed. The rest of the group stayed in the cheap seats farther from the beach. The common area in the 2 bedroom condo made up for the sparse accommodations in the one bedroom. Some of our party was underwhelmed with VM, while others were happy considering the reasonable price, which is why I've rated it Average. It is a perfectly acceptable place to stay. If you're going with a group, spring for at least one condo with a common area, otherwise you won't have anywhere to fellowship during rain/night.

To end on a good note though: The on sight restaurant, Eclipse, is awesome. Great food and atmosphere.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with a group, spring for a room with a common area. We originally tried to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Anguilla, British West Indies
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Five delightful nights at Villa Montana enabled us to use it as a base for exploring some of Puerto Rico's wonders. Miles of brown sand beaches lined with palms and other vegetation, inland and water edged caves, the largest radio observatory in the world were some of the sites we chose to explore. Living half the year in the Caribbean on a small island only one hour away by plane, we enjoyed getting to know a bit more about Puerto Rico.

Villa Montana's setting is on the Atlantic side with great breezes and waves with water that was warm, especially for the Atlantic. Our "cliffside room" was one private, completely separate wing of a detached "home" occupied by another couple. We never heard them and rarely saw them! We were surprised to find a living room, kitchenette, generous bedroom, 2 tvs, patio at either end, and views of lovely vegetation with older trees full of character. Quiet and peaceful it was a restful unpretentious retreat. There were some glitches that caused frustration for the first day but overall it was a very good experience.

The highlight however was their restaurant Eclipse where we ate every dinner. (There really isn't any other place to eat or stay for miles in this NW corner of the island.) The food was exceptional, staff amazingly professional yet friendly, and an outstanding wine list so well priced we drank more than usual! The restaurant makes us consider returning if for no other reason than to indulge our foodie needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was a charming location.The views of the beach from the restaurant are awesome. The breakfast,lunch, and dinners were among the best in the area. The beach was quiet and the sounds of the jungle were alive at night. It is not a real resort though with little things missing (like big towels and bathrobes in bathroom). We liked it a great deal though.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!