“The downgrade experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Montana Beach Resort

You added Villa Montana Beach Resort to your Saves list
Villa Montana Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera 4466 Km 1.9 Interior | Barrio Bajuras, Isabela 00662, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“The downgrade experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I wanted to get a weekend getaway with my wife at Isabela because after some rough months on the job, heck, we deserved some time off to relax... that was the plan... pure and simple and it all went up in smoke even before I started my drive for Isabela. That morning I received a phone call telling me that they were overbooked and that when they saw that it was just me and my wife, if we would be ok if we took a room in the hotel, I was like ok... am I going to get something for this change, because I'm going from a two room villa to a one room hotel room... they reassured me, offered a lot of of course we'll help you out and even went so far as to reassure me again when I arrived for check in..... which is when my "relaxing weekend" started... I was told there would be a gift in the room, I just didn't know it was going to be stained sheets, hairs on my pillow and a dead baby spider beneath the sheets... seriously, I can't make this up and unfortunately I didn't take a picture because being a mild arachnophobe, I swatted the spider away when I freaked out... btw, the AC was off and was damp and hot, the room smelled like mold and apart from the hairs and spider... there was no gift.. I go to reception, tell of my situation and their response was the refer me to the head of maintenance... After the runaround to see the room with the head of maintenance, I tell her of my situation since no one else was apparently interested in listening to me or helping me out. I said this was a downgrade experience and she "pulled some strings" to get me a studio room in a villa that was tiny to say the least and only after pushing that I was going to ask for my money back was it thought of to offer me one room of the villa... So by now, I've lost two hours of my life haggling for something I'd paid for in advance because they'd been special enough not to plan accordingly. I agree to the one room villa and I get a complimentary bottle of champagne... something that was already part of the package because me and my wife had agreed to their program to save on linen cleaning and for not having them clean it every night.. you got a complimentary bottle of champagne... Oh and let me not forget the wonderful alarm wakeup calll... how about a sprinkler system detonating against your room doors and windows at 6:20 a.m..... seriously.

Pretty much what saved our experience was the night dining at the restaurant Eclipse. Here we were able to see the manager in action and where he seemed to be more comfortable. He seems like a very pleasant guy who wants everyone to enjoy their stay, unfortunately he's spread out too thin and seems to be handling too many things at the same time. He was very nice and if it wasn't for him, on the second night where we had reservations, we might've been bumped versus other people who'd walked in. He did his best but a lot of damage had been done, and excellent service at the restaurant couldn't make up for a terrible time to get less for what I paid for.

And please, note I said dining experience meaning DINNER. Breakfast was an hour and forty minute endurance test to see if you'd make it long enough to actually enjoy breakfast. Understaffed at this hour is an understatement.

In short, the restaurant was magnificent which is why this review gets the extra star, but the entire hassle process was a bit much to say the least. Sadly, I wasn't the only person having issues during our stay and in check in and saw that actually quite a few people were having problems.

The common factor? Most of us had seen an offer for a two night three day stay in a two room villa and had jumped at the offer from Gustazos... we just didn't know we were going to get the second hand treatment and the downgrade adventure.

So by all means, go for the food and stay elsewhere, especially if you are thinking of buying a Groupon or Gustazo offer...

Room Tip: Careful of staying at the hotel or getting the downgrade shuffle. Look for a villa, preferably the o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I booked a beach front villa. When we arrived for check-in they had us at the back of the property near a horse lot. They did relocate us, but not to where we were suppose to be. Their idea was to "upgrade us (two people) to a two bedroom, two bath apartment like second story room. Turns out we needed the two bathrooms, one shower didn't have hot water and the other's toilet was broke. The restaurant employees are very friendly but the food and drinks are very expensive. 2 eggs any style $9.75 and beers are $9 each, so be sure to stock up and eat at local places on 110.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ATiphaine, Manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to address some of the statements which you made. Your initial reservation was not for a beach front villa. You had selected and where quoted a one bedroom garden villa and not a one bedroom ocean view villa. You had also requested that the villa be in a private area. Upon check in you advised that you wanted a room change and the only available villa was a two bedroom villa. you where provided with a complimentary upgrade. Our Maintenance log shows that you came to the front desk at 9:29 to advise of maintenance issues in the villa. At 10:35 our maintenance personnel proceeded to the villa and found that the toilet indeed was working, and hot water was available. You had also mentioned that the dryer was not working, but upon inspection the staff found clothes drying in the machine. Eventhough the issues which you reported where corrected you where given a 10% discount on your room rate. Our restaurant pricing is consistent with hotel properties and local business. We offer bottled beer at $4 and $5, Imported draft is indeed offered at $9.

Again, we sincerely regret you did not enjoy your stay with us and trust that you will give us a second opporturnity.

Regards,
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went with my family, and the space was horribly small for this expensive one room apartment. We asked to be changed to another place because we could stand the reddish decoration in the curtains and everywhere and they said that the resort was completely full and the could not change use anywhere else. When we went through the resort, there were a lot of empty spaces! Later on, the water was cut for one full day, and they did not say anything about compensating use for that problem, nothing. The other thing is that the beach can't be used, is full of rocks and dangerous, completely different to what the photos in internet showed. The natural ambience and the zen pool is really nice, but that's it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just returned from a friend's wedding at Villa Montana. The resort is quite nice and well located with a nice beach. The accommodations were great as were the amenities including the two pools and restaurants. The food and service at the resort was excellent. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try for a beach front villa. Ours was 4 rows back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Four fun nights - perfect weather, great food and a lovely wedding next to the beach.
Pros: We stayed in a large one bedroom with a large living area, full kitchen, washer and dryer and very comfortable bed. Each room has its own wireless connection. The food was delicious. The beach and water are clean and private.
Cons: A bit of a challenge to find this resort without any Gps coordinates or definitive address. The planes to and from Aquadilla airport seem to fly directly over the resort - not often and at odd late hours.
The resort graciously accommodated our large group - we felt very pampered. All in all, a wonderful holiday and wedding site for our young friends.

ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Wasn't fortunate enough to stay in one of the beachfront villas but the regular rooms are lovely too. Great beach chaise loungers to relax and soak up the sun. This is our second time staying this year and hope to stay again and again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Being from Puerto Rico, I have had the priviledge of staying all over the island, and first hand I can say this place is not worth its price. The room as a whole did not have simple and basic ammeneties. Only two towels and nowhere to hang them. One trash can in the bathroom. Bathtub had hair. Beach is a 15 minute walk away, or short drive. It might be comfortable when you lay on the bed, but that's about it. Keep searching and do not settle for this hotel, trust me there are not many places I have not stayed in. This is way down there on my list.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!